Tarot Modification

Guest be_true

Could one of you good people recommend a black pen. l want to edge my Legacy of the Divine cards.  l would need to have pen that has a slanted tip to it so that l don't get any black marks on the cards themselves.

Another question, does the black colour dry well without any smudging on your fingers when you shuffle?

I have found that even if you’re extremely careful and use a chisel tip marker then you will get subtle marks on the fronts/backs. Sometimes it’s because you slip, but other times it’s because the card absorbes the ink so it bleeds into the imagery (that happens way less frequently with ink pads, usually only in places where a card is chipped)  When you use a pen it dries instantly and it doesn’t smudge. I use ink pads - Tim holtz has one called ‘black soot’. Ink pads take longer to dry and you can wipe off any excess or correct any mistakes, it does not stick to laminated surfaces like permanent pens does. I lay them out on trays to dry (I do several layers with kitchen paper towels in between) and depending on how heavily you ink them it takes 12-48 hours before they’re completely dry. They do not smudge after they’re dry. I go over each card several times to get a deep black color, so I always wait 48 hours before I stack them together again.

Thanks Raggydoll for your comments.  l see what you say about possible bleeding when using the marker even though it is chiseled.  l would have no worries about this as the Legacy cards have a black border front and back.  It's just the edges are white, l think they would look better all black.

Not sure about using ink pads but will look into this.

Is there any particular named marker you could recommend.

Did some research and you are right Raggydoll the ink pads would be a better buy.

Decided on Tim Holtz ink pad, Black Soot, but there are two types of pads, one being oxide.

What is the difference? if any.

I’m thinking that you don’t want the oxide one, I know I read about it and decided to go with the regular one. Can’t remember any details though. I’m attaching a picture of some of the ones I have. The larger one stayed fresh for much longer than the mini ones. Ink pads can dry up but there is a fairly inexpensive refresher spray from the same brand that you use to revive them. I have it and it works. I store my ink pads upside down as well and I believe they last longer that way.

5A50881A-BB0D-4E2D-98C3-E2C6D003DF63.jpg.47eb351fe991306c0ecf57583722e47d.jpg

Would love to know what you used for edging your Legacy of the Divine. l would not want to trim it, but would like to take the white edges away.

I've not edged before will it leave smudges on fingers with shuffling use.

Mine has black borders, so I just used a black Sharpie. Looks beautiful.

I am very impressed by people who can trim their decks! I think I'd be too scared to try. I'd rather put up with borders on my cards than the anxiety of potentially ruining a card.

That's how I felt before I did it. The first edge I trimmed though was liberating and I did the whole deck in one evening!

Spent a pleasant hour today edging the Legacy of the Divine tarot.  Used a sharpie chisel marker, it was so quick and easy.

Am very pleased with the result.  The cards have a black border front and back so the white edges really stood out, didn't feel happy with that look.

Looks great  :thumbsup:

If that's how you feel then you go with your feelings.  But l have trimmed borders off large cards and now l have edged.  It has not made the slighted difference to my readings or the accuracy.

Cards are cards it is what you the reader put into the deck with your own energies,  and what you receive from the deck through your intuition and knowledge.

Just my take on this, nothing to be worried about  :)

I would never change a Tarot deck as it is, at least, to my eyes, if you change your tarot deck it lost al the reliability

I vaguely remember feeling exactly as how you describe it, once upon a time. Then I came to realize that most of my readings are intuitive/psychic (at least the best parts of them) and that I can in fact read with any cards - or completely skip tools all together. The reason I still use decks is that I like how they direct my intuition and make a reading less draining. (A lot of the time I now compromise and start with an intuitive session and then do a regular reading. I have found that my intuitive sessions almost always have direct bearing on which cards show up in the reading later). I have also found that the more relaxed I am the stronger and clearer my intuition gets. That’s why modification of a deck can actually enhance my readings. If for instance a deck is too large for me to shuffle comfortably then by trimming it, it actually works even better for me. I understand that you may be completely different than me and that my experiences and beliefs might not resonate at all with you. That’s ok. You should always go with what feels right to you. I just wanted to share my perspective  :love:

Hi be_true,

I don't trim or edge decks myself, but from what I've learned watching YT etc. the reasons for modifying a deck range from the cards being too large to the borders being too distracting, and so on.

Personally, I wouldn't think the modifying the deck in this way disturbs the cards at all. It very much makes the deck "belong" to the modifier, because the time and care and energy and thought they've put into the modifying is going to be embedded in the deck. That's how I see it, anyway.

And at the end, the modifier has a unique deck, all their own. :)

No trimming or cutting. other wise their not original and cant be handed on.

I respect ALL viewpoints, and agree, if someone feels it lessens a deck reliability, power, whatever, one shouldn't modify.

I just am of the opinion the deck is a tool and I am the one wielding it and giving it power.

I have edged most of my decks, a lot to just "age" them, but some with black marker, some are in brown and one has a dark pink hue.

I am not a good trimmer, so I wouldn't do that.

BUT I actually changed the image of one card in a deck that is hard and expensive to replace and not sorry.  It was a small, but important, change to me and glad I did it.  BUT that was a one time thing.

Mostly, I just edge (although I did add bits of silver to a copy of the Secret Tarot and it looked really good and made it pop).   

I bought the larger size Thoth for the sole purpose of trimming those borders off so I could enjoy the gorgeous images and I don't regret it for an second.  They really pop without them. 

I personally don't see how trimming could affect the deck as the intent with the images themselves is still the same and your intent when reading is still the same.  If anything it can make the deck more personal and feel like a bonding process.  Like giving a loved one a hair cut to smarten them up. 

Hi be_true,

I don't trim or edge decks myself, but from what I've learned watching YT etc. the reasons for modifying a deck range from the cards being too large to the borders being too distracting, and so on.

Personally, I wouldn't think the modifying the deck in this way disturbs the cards at all. It very much makes the deck "belong" to the modifier, because the time and care and energy and thought they've put into the modifying is going to be embedded in the deck. That's how I see it, anyway.

Just to be clear, in the quote above, that final line isn't part of my reply to be_true. (I think the html got a bit mixed up with the comment you were making, PeterF62[/member] . :) )

Hi be_true,

Just to be clear, in the quote above, that final line isn't part of my reply to be_true. (I think the html got a bit mixed up with the comment you were making, PeterF62[/member] . :) )

Yes, I believe he did not scroll down all the way to the end before writing his answer. Happens easily, I’ve done the same thing in the past  :)

I am very impressed by people who can trim their decks! I think I'd be too scared to try.

I learned how to do it on AT. I was afraid I'd ruin a deck so I tried it first on a mass market deck with hideous borders. It couldn't have gotten any worse! That gave me the confidence to trim my Druidcraft and edge it in a color matching the card backs. It turned out gorgeous. I love it.

My motive was to connect with the imagery without relying on the words, to help me gain a deeper understanding of the deck that would sink in, so I could read more fluently without the book in hand.

I've trimmed and edged some others, Mary-El, Halloween, and they turned out great. The one drawback I've noticed from edging is that the ink can sink into the raw edge, which makes them shuffle differently.

Has anyone else noticed this?

I am very impressed by people who can trim their decks! I think I'd be too scared to try.

I learned how to do it on AT. I was afraid I'd ruin a deck so I tried it first on a mass market deck with hideous borders. It couldn't have gotten any worse! That gave me the confidence to trim my Druidcraft and edge it in a color matching the card backs. It turned out gorgeous. I love it.

My motive was to connect with the imagery without relying on the words, to help me gain a deeper understanding of the deck that would sink in, so I could read more fluently without the book in hand.

I've trimmed and edged some others, Mary-El, Halloween, and they turned out great. The one drawback I've noticed from edging is that the ink can sink into the raw edge, which makes them shuffle differently.

Has anyone else noticed this?

There are two factors to this. First. The way you trim your cards will determine how vulnerable your edges will be (cardstock/lamination also plays a part of course). Scissors and rotary/guillotine cutters will give the best results, while standard paper cutters tend to fray the edges and make them more prone to bleeding. Secondly, it matters a lot whether you use a pen or an ink pad. Permanent pens bleed way more and those cannot be removed, while ink pads are water soluble so you can wipe off any excess ink from the fronts/backs before it dries. If you use ink pad then it’s really important that you place each card flat down and allow for plenty of time before you restack them (1-2 days depending on how fresh the ink pad was). So it takes more time, both during the actual edging plus for drying. It’s all worth it to me, though. I’ve tried both ways and much preferred the result I got from ink pads. I use the archival ones that contains no acid that could damage the cards over time.

Has anyone modified, trimmed and or edged their Star Tarot deck by Cathy McClelland? I'm looking to buy the deck but the reviews regarding the card-stock and big borders worry me.

Did trimming help with the lifting of the laminate? I see that trimming is a big bonus for this deck as those borders look awfully large and apparently the cards are large so trimming makes them easier to handle and shuffle. But I'm wondering if this solved the problem of the edges breaking down with this deck or any others that have poor card-stock.

Not sure about going to all that trouble to trim and edge if the cards are still going to be a problem and the laminate lift.

Opinions?

Regards all,

Arabella  <3

Has anyone modified, trimmed and or edged their Star Tarot deck by Cathy McClelland? I'm looking to buy the deck but the reviews regarding the card-stock and big borders worry me.

Did trimming help with the lifting of the laminate? I see that trimming is a big bonus for this deck as those borders look awfully large and apparently the cards are large so trimming makes them easier to handle and shuffle. But I'm wondering if this solved the problem of the edges breaking down with this deck or any others that have poor card-stock.

Not sure about going to all that trouble to trim and edge if the cards are still going to be a problem and the laminate lift.

Opinions?

Regards all,

Arabella  <3

There are several videos on YouTube where people trim or modify this deck. Here are some links:

And I didn’t mean to over exaggerate the potential issues with trimming. In all honesty i have only had one modification that I wasn’t super happy with and it was one of my first ones where I rushed through it and some cards got uneven. I tend to think things through more carefully now and study the backs and how well centered all the images are before I decide to trim it. That’s makes it much less likely that you regret it later.