Guest Night Shade

How can you tell if your guardian spirits are real?

Guest Night Shade

Does anyone here work with guardian spirits?  I believe that I have guardian dragons, but sometimes I do wonder if they're real, or if I'm just imagining them.  Can anyone tell me how to tell if they are in fact real, or if they're just figments of my imagination?

Dragons are not real - they are fantasy and imagination only. So, if they do not exist in real life how can they exist as anyones guardians?

However, no harm in imagining you have such majestic beasts I suppose, but do not go around saying you have them because if the wrong people got wind of you - you might end up like Rupunzel or Cinderella or something worse!!! .  :bugeyed:

DND  X/

Lots of people feel that dragons are real but that they exist on another plane. A bit like angels. And a great deal of people believe in (and pray to) angels without worrying about their own sanity. So I think it's important to be clear about what it is that you are unsure about. If you ask yourself "is this experience real?", then it can mean "are these feelings real?". And if you ask me, then yes - what you are feeling is definitely real. So if you have a sense of being protected then that is also the case. But if the question is, "are dragons real?", then I ask you "do god(s) exist?". It's a philosophical question for some but a state of fact to others. No one can tell you if your connection to this dragon is real. No one other than you. But I think that it sometimes can be a good idea to decide what is really most important. Is it the most important to know for a fact (and have others to agree with you) that this dragon is real, or is it perhaps more important to have this feeling of a real connection and of true support/protection? There will come a time when you might want to just decide that you are sane and stop doubting yourself. Just my two cents.  <3 ((

Guest Night Shade

Thank you guys for your input.  I base my dragon practice on D.J. Conway's books "Dancing With Dragons" and "Mystical Dragon Magick", both of which teach you to connect with guardian dragons.  I do believe they live on the astral plane.  I guess what I'm uncertain about is whether the whole idea of dragon magick is genuine or not.

I do tend to lean toward real, because I felt the presence (and I do just feel their presence - I don't actually see them) of a new dragon the morning I was asked to be a moderator, just hours before I got the message.  I guess she thought I needed a little dragon energy to see me through!  :))

Thank you guys for your input.  I base my dragon practice on D.J. Conway's books "Dancing With Dragons" and "Mystical Dragon Magick", both of which teach you to connect with guardian dragons.  I do believe they live on the astral plane.  I guess what I'm uncertain about is whether the whole idea of dragon magick is genuine or not.

I do tend to lean toward real, because I felt the presence (and I do just feel their presence - I don't actually see them) of a new dragon the morning I was asked to be a moderator, just hours before I got the message.  I guess she thought I needed a little dragon energy to see me through!  :))

Oh yes, because now you work alongside this little dragon too  8)

Guest Night Shade

Oh yes, because now you work alongside this little dragon too  8)

X-D <3

Dragons are not real - they are fantasy and imagination only. So, if they do not exist in real life how can they exist as anyones guardians?

However, no harm in imagining you have such majestic beasts I suppose, but do not go around saying you have them because if the wrong people got wind of you - you might end up like Rupunzel or Cinderella or something worse!!! .  :bugeyed:

DND  X/

What about Komodo dragon for starters?

Many shamanistic cultures have dragon familiars, Totem dragons .... and dragon symbology and energy are used and revered all over the orient.  Dragon transformation and spirit guides are used in magic and the occult, and a lot of people believe in summoning personal dragons, in the West, East, North, South.  The legends go back to time immemorial. 

Dragons are mentioned in almost every religion.  Almost every culture & country has dragon legends & i believe that truth in many mythologies is being proven more and more. 

Archaeology and mainstream historians are looking more and more ridiculous as myths are being proven, and recent technology is validating that human civilization goes back thousands upon thousands of years from what they've arrogantly concluded, to the point now that they don't know how to admit they've got it wrong. 

Remember, a lot of people laugh at tarot as well.

What next?  You'll be saying don't believe in unicorns next!

Lots of people feel that dragons are real but that they exist on another plane. A bit like angels. And a great deal of people believe in (and pray to) angels without worrying about their own sanity. So I think it's important to be clear about what it is that you are unsure about. If you ask yourself "is this experience real?", then it can mean "are these feelings real?". And if you ask me, then yes - what you are feeling is definitely real. So if you have a sense of being protected then that is also the case. But if the question is, "are dragons real?", then I ask you "do god(s) exist?". It's a philosophical question for some but a state of fact to others. No one can tell you if your connection to this dragon is real. No one other than you. But I think that it sometimes can be a good idea to decide what is really most important. Is it the most important to know for a fact (and have others to agree with you) that this dragon is real, or is it perhaps more important to have this feeling of a real connection and of true support/protection? There will come a time when you might want to just decide that you are sane and stop doubting yourself. Just my two cents.  <3 ((

Beautifully said, Raggydoll[/member] <3 I very much agree with this.

Just because we don't see dragons out the window on our commute to work doesn't mean they are not real. Perhaps they exist on another plane. They most certainly exist as embodiment of certain energies within human consciousness. I believe our mythopoetic perceptions are both real and necessary- something doesn't have to exist in physical reality on this plane to be real. And there is a reason dragons, angels, unicorns, etc proliferate across all human cultures. We connect with them, whether it's as beings, as energies, as ideas.

I think that various aspects of universal energy that we are meant to connect with manifest to us in ways that we work with our specific needs. So for example, maybe a spirit could appear to someone in the form of a dragon, because that person will listen to and follow the guidance of a dragon in a way that they would not, say, a mouse. Whatever it is, I think the connection you have to the energy is real, and that is the most important thing. And building a relationship with that being can be an important part of your own growth. That's just the way I think about things, at least  ^-^

DND  X/

Many shamanistic cultures have dragon familiars, Totem dragons .... and dragon symbology and energy are used and revered all over the orient.  Dragon transformation and spirit guides are used in magic and the occult, and a lot of people believe in summoning personal dragons, in the West, East, North, South.  The legends go back to time immemorial. 

Dragons are mentioned in almost every religion.  Almost every culture & country has dragon legends & i believe that truth in many mythologies is being proven more and more. 

Very good points!

Guest Night Shade

DND  X/

Archaeology and mainstream historians are looking more and more ridiculous as myths are being proven, and recent technology is validating that human civilization goes back thousands upon thousands of years from what they've arrogantly concluded, to the point now that they don't know how to admit they've got it wrong. 

Remember, a lot of people laugh at tarot as well.

Thank you, Cookie.  I agree that there's a lot of truth in mythology - just look at all the myths from diverse cultures that mention a great flood.  Hopefully someday humanity will recover all the wisdom we've lost by dismissing things we can't prove or understand as "myths".

And I do (mostly) believe in unicorns.  But dragons rule.  :)

Guest Night Shade

Or even worse - gnomes!!  :bugeyed:

Dragons ,unicorns, gnomes, fairies - I choose to believe in everything magical!  :)

Guest Night Shade

Just because we don't see dragons out the window on our commute to work doesn't mean they are not real. Perhaps they exist on another plane. They most certainly exist as embodiment of certain energies within human consciousness. I believe our mythopoetic perceptions are both real and necessary- something doesn't have to exist in physical reality on this plane to be real. And there is a reason dragons, angels, unicorns, etc proliferate across all human cultures. We connect with them, whether it's as beings, as energies, as ideas.

I think that various aspects of universal energy that we are meant to connect with manifest to us in ways that we work with our specific needs. So for example, maybe a spirit could appear to someone in the form of a dragon, because that person will listen to and follow the guidance of a dragon in a way that they would not, say, a mouse. Whatever it is, I think the connection you have to the energy is real, and that is the most important thing. And building a relationship with that being can be an important part of your own growth. That's just the way I think about things, at least  ^-^

I like the idea of energy appearing to us is the form we would connect to the most.  That idea goes a long way in explaining why different people experience different aspects of the God and the Goddess.

Or even worse - gnomes!!  :bugeyed:

Dragons ,unicorns, gnomes, fairies - I choose to believe in everything magical!  :)

I wonder if they believe in us humans?

Guest Night Shade

Oh, but haven't you heard? Unicorns exist...as glitter-covered ambassadors of the devil. At least according to Doreen Virtue's latest blog post: http://www.doreenvirtue.com/2019/01/21/an-a-z-list-of-new-age-practices-to-avoid-and-why/

Did Doreen Virtue get saved or something, because most of the things on this list are things she used to teach!

I like the idea of energy appearing to us is the form we would connect to the most.  That idea goes a long way in explaining why different people experience different aspects of the God and the Goddess.

Yes!! This is what I think as well :)

Oh, but haven't you heard? Unicorns exist...as glitter-covered ambassadors of the devil. At least according to Doreen Virtue's latest blog post: http://www.doreenvirtue.com/2019/01/21/an-a-z-list-of-new-age-practices-to-avoid-and-why/

Did Doreen Virtue get saved or something, because most of the things on this list are things she used to teach!

Yep. She is now a born-again Christian I believe, and has denounced all her previous work, including tarot and oracle cards. I'm happy for her if she found a path that calls her, but it feels like she is now using her platform to judge the paths of others which I'm not ok with.

I never had any of her decks or anything, but I hear that some people who did and looked to her for guidance are now struggling to figure out how to handle this whole turnaround she's done.

Guest Night Shade

Yep. She is now a born-again Christian I believe, and has denounced all her previous work, including tarot and oracle cards. I'm happy for her if she found a path that calls her, but it feels like she is now using her platform to judge the paths of others which I'm not ok with.

I never had any of her decks or anything, but I hear that some people who did and looked to her for guidance and now struggling to figure out how to handle this whole turnaround she's done.

I think the people who used her decks shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water.  Just because she had a change of heart, that doesn't mean that her previous work wasn't valid.  I never used her decks either, but if I did, I would continue to do so.  I understand, though, how some people might be upset with her for judging them for being on the path she led them down in the first place. 

I never had any of her decks or anything, but I hear that some people who did and looked to her for guidance and now struggling to figure out how to handle this whole turnaround she's done.

I think the people who used her decks shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water.  Just because she had a change of heart, that doesn't mean that her previous work wasn't valid.  I never used her decks either, but if I did, I would continue to do so.  I understand, though, how some people might be upset with her for judging them for being on the path she led them down in the first place.

Agree completely. It's sad that people might lose some of the real value they got out of her earlier work, but also understandable why people would question their entire experience of her and her work.

I love how you put this Raven! And I agree with you Night Shade, it really does explain those things well

Question then becomes, what is real?

How do we define real?

Just like the matrix pointed out, from a materialistic perspective,

real are just electrical signals in our brain.

If one has another philosophy than materialism, then what is real changes.

I myself experimented with guardians in my early twenties.

Now how real that guardian was, well that can be debated, but even from a materialistic perspective,

the guardian was represented in my brain as a thought.

Hence in some ways, it was just as real as what my senses told me about the world.

Now when i comes to dragons, in a Jungian sense, they are an archetype.

They are so real that they are embedded in our DNA.

All humans seem to be able to come up with the idea.

Some have pointed out that it is a conflation of all major predators humans have encountered.

In other words a representation of what is out there that might eat us.

Both in a phenomenological sense and in a symbolic sense.

Personally I find that the more I invest in such "figures" the stronger they become,

because to me they are my creations, something I make and maintain.

Now if there are metaphysical creatures out there who have a more spirit like nature, I do not really know.

But I would like to suggest that if they do exist,

they are fundamentally different from the entities I have dabbled with.

As they where obviously from me and off me.

The traditional spirits, I would claim has an archetypal nature, meaning that they are accessible to all.

Now just because one thinks something might be embedded in DNA, does not make it outside of a metaphysical explanation.

It would be a weird world indeed where all the materialistic insights we have did not match up with a spiritual/metaphysical backdrop.

That would be even more beyond belief than the belief in the entities in the first place.

No matter how the world works, (and it is a great mystery how it does), it is all connected somehow.

I often think about how strange that anything should be at all.

Versus the equally absurd idea that there should be nothing at all.

Total nothingness, is a very weird thing to contemplate.

Because not only are all the things not there, even all the underlying forces

that we do understand or not, would be gone as well, and that is a pretty mind blowing vacuum.

Not that the placeholder of some kind of existence is anything less weird.

Thanks to Descartes, we know that we exist.

"I think therefore I am."

But we have no way of knowing what our existence ultimately entails, so we are left with faith.

If that faith is materialism, spirits, guardians or dragons matters little.

Guest Night Shade

This is an awesome post, Arch -  both poetical and philosophical at the same time.  I need a little time to digest this, but I like the point you made about how the more you invest in these figures, the stronger they become, because they're your creations.  Which brings up the question of whether things you create in your mind are as real as things you create with your hands.  I don't know the answer to this, and I wonder if anyone does or ever will.

I'm teaching a bit of introductory quantum mechanics at the moment; mind-bending stuff. The key message I'm taking is that the whole concept of 'real' is a bit vague. Assuming the Copenhagen Interpretation, most of the universe only exists as probability functions until it's observed. Who is to say that dragons (for some definition of them) are not a part of those probabilities?

OK, that's taking the science a bit further than it'll comfortably go, but you get the point!  :))

Schrödinger's cat? Gedankenexperiment?

I researched this when I was writing my last book. Mind-bending stuff.

I'm teaching a bit of introductory quantum mechanics at the moment; mind-bending stuff. The key message I'm taking is that the whole concept of 'real' is a bit vague. Assuming the Copenhagen Interpretation, most of the universe only exists as probability functions until it's observed. Who is to say that dragons (for some definition of them) are not a part of those probabilities?

OK, that's taking the science a bit further than it'll comfortably go, but you get the point!  :))