Do you reverse cards?

Twilightlo

I can read reverse cards, but if the reading doesn't give a negative vibe, I just notice the reverse card as something I should pay attention too, not something negative in itself.

Since I started with the Thoth, I do not read reversals.  I still declined too once I ventured into other decks. I find a proper spread does the job just fine.

15 hours ago, Nisaba said:

Also, the older I get the more disrespectful it feels towards a deck to have some of the cards reversed

Your whole post really made me think. But this last sentence struck me as very profound. I think I’ve always felt compelled to read reversals going back to some adolescent angst about “following the rules” based on some long lost white book. I think you’re right that any meanings inferred by reversals is already contained within the vast spectrum of possible meanings contained within the images on the cards, and the skill of reader interpreting them. I’m going to hold your thoughts about reversals in mind going forward. Thank you!

1 hour ago, Annaporia said:

I think I’ve always felt compelled to read reversals going back to some adolescent angst about “following the rules” based on some long lost white book.

Rules have to be looked at on a case-by-case basis. Some are stupid (a lot of fashion rules) and even evil (Jim Crow), and should be broken. Others are beneficial, like the ones that keep us from wrecking our cars at intersections. Let's keep those. 😉

Anyone who is using reversals simply because Waite (or whoever) said so and not because they find it helpful needs to stop.

29 minutes ago, katrinka said:

Rules have to be looked at on a case-by-case basis. Some are stupid (a lot of fashion rules) and even evil (Jim Crow), and should be broken. Others are beneficial, like the ones that keep us from wrecking our cars at intersections. Let's keep those. 😉

Anyone who is using reversals simply because Waite (or whoever) said so and not because they find it helpful needs to stop.

Yes, this.

5 hours ago, Annaporia said:

Your whole post really made me think. But this last sentence struck me as very profound. I think I’ve always felt compelled to read reversals going back to some adolescent angst about “following the rules” based on some long lost white book. I think you’re right that any meanings inferred by reversals is already contained within the vast spectrum of possible meanings contained within the images on the cards, and the skill of reader interpreting them. I’m going to hold your thoughts about reversals in mind going forward. Thank you!

Thank you. I appreciate that.

Hi All.

Yes i read upright and reversals thats what tarot reading is all about the good and the bad.

Not just the good.

Brightest Blessings:78496:

1 hour ago, gregory said:

How exactly ?

Let's say I need to put the spread into a story.
It has the ups and downs and that's easier for me to connect each different card into a story.

I think if you don't use reversal cards, the spread will come in a different way to let you know what it wants to say. 

So it is just personal preference.

52 minutes ago, Tarotmick8 said:

Hi All.

Yes i read upright and reversals thats what tarot reading is all about the good and the bad.

Not just the good.

Brightest Blessings:78496:

The tarot has plenty of cards that tell you the 'bad' even when upright, either alone or in the context of a specific spread position and/or in combination with other cards. A properly designed deck will provide a full range of meanings without reversals.  That said, if reversals work for you, by all means do them!  We all have our own way of doing things.

1 hour ago, euripides said:

The tarot has plenty of cards that tell you the 'bad' even when upright, either alone or in the context of a specific spread position and/or in combination with other cards. A properly designed deck will provide a full range of meanings without reversals.  That said, if reversals work for you, by all means do them!  We all have our own way of doing things.

This, very much. There are plenty of shades of meanings in upright cards.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.