78 Weeks of Tarot - Sept 2017 - March 2019 - Informational thread

Trogon

Thank you Trogon! Than was a lot of work.

I finally ordered the Everyday Witch. (The de-enabling didn't work very well. The enabling, on the other, did.. I went to both threads to see what would happen. I might have guessed..! ;D)

I think I will use that one for this exercise. But I'm still also eyeing my Vampyres and Dark Angels. I'm glad there's still time to decide.

OutoftheAshes

I thought I had chimed in on this but looking back I don't see my post. I've never done an intensive study of each card like this and I'd love to join in.  :D

Is it beginning the 10th then?

I'm not sure which deck I'll be working with but I'm sure I'll narrow it down.  ;)

First off; thank you all for your encouragement, interest, suggestions and help. And, I hope you're all looking forward to this as much as I am.

Links to all of the individual card threads have been created in the first post of this thread.

hahaha Trogon this is so funny! I was REALLY wondering how come there were SO MANY new posts since my last visit! 5 pages haha! It was all because of the study set-up!

I'm glad to see it coming together though, it's starting really soon, I really need to decide which deck I'll choose!!  :o

It even surprised myself after I was done. ;D And yes, it is starting! If my thoughts might help, I decided on the Haindl for a few reasons; I love the unique and kind of dusky looking art, as well as the multi-cultural aspects of the deck - but I also haven't used it much and feel that there is so much to explore in the deck.

Thank you Trogon! Than was a lot of work.

I finally ordered the Everyday Witch. (The de-enabling didn't work very well. The enabling, on the other, did.. I went to both threads to see what would happen. I might have guessed..! ;D)

I think I will use that one for this exercise. But I'm still also eyeing my Vampyres and Dark Angels. I'm glad there's still time to decide.

I love the look of the Everyday Witch Tarot, it is right at the top of my wish list along with the Prisma Visions. But the other two are very cool decks. Well, I'm not sure which Vampire Tarot you have, but from sample images, I think they're both very neat.

Wow! Thank you so much for setting up the study and ALL these threads up, Trogon!  :-*

I think I will start the first card, the fool, this week :)

Excellent! Thanks Em! I'm looking forward to seeing which deck you'll be using and seeing your thoughts on it.

I thought I had chimed in on this but looking back I don't see my post. I've never done an intensive study of each card like this and I'd love to join in.  :D

Is it beginning the 10th then?

I'm not sure which deck I'll be working with but I'm sure I'll narrow it down.  ;)

Very glad to have you along for the ride OutoftheAshes! The "scheduled" start date is the 10th of September - however, as you can see from Em's post, she'll be starting early and that is perfectly okay. I suppose that others may be joining in later as well. I have to admit that I'm a little anxious to get started too - so I may start a little early as well. :-[

I would like to offer a piece of advice which I am reminding myself of; this is a long-term study of a Tarot deck - remember to pace yourself! A little bit of study of a card each day over several days will probably work better than several hours on a single day. Enjoy yourselves with the cards.

I'm going to be using the Fairytale (MRP). It's beautiful and it has a story to go with each card and I haven't used it much. I could never figure out how to read more than one card at a time with it, so it should be great for this project. A possible benefit is that I'll learn how to read with it using more than one card -- once I've studied them all.

I might start early as well. I'm pretty psyched.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I finally got an RWS deck that I feel I can connect with- Herzer's Starlight Illuminated Tarot. So I'm thinking of using that to really deep dive into RWS imagery. I'm also considering Prisma Visions (probably my favorite deck, along with the Rumi), or possibly the Science Tarot. The Science Tarot has so much going on in each card, so it would be a good opportunity for me to really learn about the phenomena depicted. I like being able to relate tarot archetypes to events and experiences in the universe like the Science Tarot does.

OutoftheAshes

First off; thank you all for your encouragement, interest, suggestions and help. And, I hope you're all looking forward to this as much as I am.

Links to all of the individual card threads have been created in the first post of this thread.

You've done an amazing job setting this all up! Thank you so much for putting this all together, Trogan. :)

Very glad to have you along for the ride OutoftheAshes! The "scheduled" start date is the 10th of September - however, as you can see from Em's post, she'll be starting early and that is perfectly okay. I suppose that others may be joining in later as well. I have to admit that I'm a little anxious to get started too - so I may start a little early as well. :-[

I would like to offer a piece of advice which I am reminding myself of; this is a long-term study of a Tarot deck - remember to pace yourself! A little bit of study of a card each day over several days will probably work better than several hours on a single day. Enjoy yourselves with the cards.

I'm glad to be joining the study. :D

I ordered the Ostara Tarot deck since I've been wanting it and it might be perfect for this.  :D 

I'm ready to work slowly through the 78 cards. A year with one deck is quite a commitment for me.

The Tarot of the Vampires (Ian Daniels) is a great deck, if that is the one you're referencing, Hemera. Its a deck I was considering for this since I use it more during the cooler months.

I think I finally decided which deck I would use for this! The Manga Tarot : http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/manga-minetti/

I had it for several months already, but I have to admit I'm not using it that often, because I don't find my readings to be 'flowing' enough.

Still, I really love it and I'm pretty sure there is a lot of material that can be covered about the cards with the seasons and colors associations, also the fact that all genders were swapped (in relation to the RWS on which it is based).  :)

Thank you for posting those examples gregory. They will be very helpful!

The Tarot of the Vampires (Ian Daniels) is a great deck, if that is the one you're referencing, Hemera. Its a deck I was considering for this since I use it more during the cooler months.

Yes, it's the Ian Daniels deck. I believe it's called Vampyres with a "y" :D

I love to read about everyone's choice of decks!

Today I finally had three decks left to choose from and I had almost decided on the Everyday Witch. I decided to ask the decks themselves and did short readings with all three of them (Vampyres, Everyday Witch and Dark Angels). Well, the only clearly negative result came with the Everyday Witch (10 Swords and the like) whereas the other two decks were clearly positive (The Lovers from Vampyres even! etc.)

Now I'm not sure what to do except wait and see. Maybe I'll start with two decks and later drop the other one? This is a big deal since I don't think I've ever worked longer than maybe a month with one deck before swapping to another. (Aries here as you might have guessed.. ::))

I think I'd like to do this too. I have 2 decks which I love but don't use all that much because the symbolism is different: Tarot of the Crone and Dark Goddess. I think I will use the latter as a lot of the goddesses are unfamiliar to me and I'm not too sure how their mythology fits.

I'm not sure I will manage to post every week but will do my best to keep up.  :)

Welcome aboard Flaxen & CharlotteK! Glad to have you with us.

The planned start date is now only 2 weeks away! :o I know a couple of folks were talking about starting a little early, and that is fine by me. I'm trying to decide whether to go ahead and start a little early myself! I didn't realize how hard it would be to WAIT! ;D Of course, there an advantage to starting early, you have a little bit of built-in leeway for delays. (Hell of a note when the guy who set the "rules" wants to break them before we even start ...)

I got out my Haindl Tarot and found my book on it. That's when I discovered that I only have Vol. 1 of the book (the Majors). I'll have to watch the used-book store for Vol. 2. Or maybe just order it. Fortunately I have a little while before I'll need it.

Welcome aboard Flaxen & CharlotteK! Glad to have you with us.

The planned start date is now only 2 weeks away! :o I know a couple of folks were talking about starting a little early, and that is fine by me. I'm trying to decide whether to go ahead and start a little early myself! I didn't realize how hard it would be to WAIT! ;D Of course, there an advantage to starting early, you have a little bit of built-in leeway for delays. (Hell of a note when the guy who set the "rules" wants to break them before we even start ...)

I got out my Haindl Tarot and found my book on it. That's when I discovered that I only have Vol. 1 of the book (the Majors). I'll have to watch the used-book store for Vol. 2. Or maybe just order it. Fortunately I have a little while before I'll need it.

I have a spare copy of the singe volume one.... A bit beat up, but readable.

But it's in the UK, where I am not for another 3 weeks...

Of course, there an advantage to starting early, you have a little bit of built-in leeway for delays. (Hell of a note when the guy who set the "rules" wants to break them before we even start ...)

Haha :D

I'm very much tempted to take an early start as well but my Everyday Witch hasn't arrived from amazon yet. I need to see it "in person" before I can make up my mind between that one and the Dark Angels.

I think it will be the DA, but my Everyday Witch app has been working like a dream recently. Oh, decisions, decisions..

Of course, there an advantage to starting early, you have a little bit of built-in leeway for delays. (Hell of a note when the guy who set the "rules" wants to break them before we even start ...)

Haha :D

I'm very much tempted to take an early start as well but my Everyday Witch hasn't arrived from amazon yet. I need to see it "in person" before I can make up my mind between that one and the Dark Angels.

I think it will be the DA, but my Everyday Witch app has been working like a dream recently. Oh, decisions, decisions..

Thanks for the offer Gregory, but it's Vol. 2 that I still need. I checked the used-book store where I'd gotten Vol. 1, but didn't find the other this time. I expect I'll have to get it from Amazon if I can, or E-Bay if Amazon doesn't have it. Fortunately, I have some time before I'll be needing that 2nd book.

I was thinking that I should find my copy of the "Book of Thoth" too, since the Haindl is, more or less, Thoth based.

tinyterrarium

Thank you Trogon for putting this together and to others for posting examples of entries! I have been looking for a more consistent method of study and I have found it :) Excited to see that others are thinking of using Baba Studios Fairytale deck. That is what I am leaning towards.

Well I was struck with inspiration, and now I think I know exactly what deck I'm going with- the Celtic Wisdom. It's a deck I love, but feel I'm constantly trying to learn because the minors are so different from the traditional RWS, and each has a story from Celtic mythology related to it which I have little familiarity with. I'm also not knowledgeable in numerology, but I love the way numbers are use in a very specific way, which is explained in the companion book. Plus there are correspondences with the Wheel of the Year, and ogham...so a LOT to dig into!!

I was just trying to kick-start this WONDERFUL exercise. No-one has to do it my way - but I can post my old ones for every card, given time!

Sorry if I missed this in an earlier post gregory, but I noticed you posted examples from two Fools from two different decks...I'm just wondering, did you go through the 78 weeks exercise with two decks simultaneously? Or did you go through the 78 weeks twice, each time with a different deck?

No. I think that would have rather defeated the object of the thing. I did the whole thing twice - a card a week - as I recall, about 2 years apart, I'd done it, but then I was struggling to get my head around the Thoth and so were couple of other people, so...

I posted both to give a mighty kickstart :D and also because I did the Thoth rather differently.

Well I was struck with inspiration, and now I think I know exactly what deck I'm going with- the Celtic Wisdom. It's a deck I love, but feel I'm constantly trying to learn because the minors are so different from the traditional RWS, and each has a story from Celtic mythology related to it which I have little familiarity with. I'm also not knowledgeable in numerology, but I love the way numbers are use in a very specific way, which is explained in the companion book. Plus there are correspondences with the Wheel of the Year, and ogham...so a LOT to dig into!!

I think that is going to be an interesting deck. I've looked at some of the images a few times and been intrigued by the artwork, so I'm looking forward to your thoughts on it.