78 Weeks of Tarot: 7 of Cups

Trogon

For information on what these threads refer to, see this thread;

78 Weeks of Tarot - Informational Thread

The above linked thread gives suggested dates for the cards as well as links to the individual topics.

Some of us may be working through the study in a different order and using different decks. If you have general questions or comments regarding the 78 Weeks of Tarot study group, please post in the topic in the above link.

Have fun.

Deck: Tabula Mundi

Card: 7 of Cups - Lord of Debauch

Last Decan of Scorpio, ruled by Venus

Netzach of Briah/Water

Trumps: Death, Empress

Thoughts:

The colours on this card really give a sickly feeling. Like the feeling of a hangover - when you’ve overindulged in something pleasurable but now you feel nauseous.
It is a card which signifies weakness and delusion - Venus does not like being in Scorpio and the moons in the background symbolise the waxing and waning of her energy here.
The orbs floating above the Cups are mirages - will-o-the-wisps - ready to lead the unwary astray. 
The imagery combines desert and swamp to produce these dual mirages. Nothing is what it seems and although we may think we are choosing something good, we cannot trust what we think we see. Once we try and grasp the mirage it disappears or, like the will-o-the-wisp, it seems to constantly move away from us. A dream which is always just beyond our reach but which we keep fruitlessly striving for. They are false lights and the only way to victory is to see through them. 

34676A04-83A1-4D2A-B2A6-029C3B9A6914.png

SheBeast

@Flaxen I quite like this deck!  You are so right about the colors giving that sense of not being well.  Brilliant.  Thanks for sharing!  I'm slow....I'll post later after work.

7 of Cups - Fifth Spirit Tarot

The card

Seven vessels sit on a shelf, in a sort of museum or a sort of rarities cabinet. Fantasies of mysteries unknown, life in a bustling city, a beautiful home, adventures and travels, but also fears (a trapped spider), an octopus reaching for that little fish… all present themselves to us, as the person looking at these. These might well be only imaginations, but they do reach out or can impact us in real life - if we chose which vessel to go with.

IMG_0123.JPG

Number and Suit meaning: Seven of Cups, based on my understanding of numerology as I put it down in the Seven of Wands, is the mystical strive of the seven in the realm of the Water energy for the cups: Emotions, Spirituality, Mystery, Flow, Adaptability. In the TdM there is often one cup depicted between two groups of three. You can go your own way… (Fleetwood Mac). The search for the holy grail.

In the Smith-Waite deck this card brings in the element of fantasy, of too many choices, of wonderful visions and terrible fears brought up by emotion and imagination. The person looking at all the tempting or terrifying options has no lower half of the body, they’re not grounded in reality.

The Fifth Spirit take on the card is fairly close (key words given are Daydreaming, fantasy, distraction, indecision, temptation, "what-ifs“, too many options) - but it also emphasizes the positive aspect. Dreaming is vital, but so is decision. (from the guide book)

What it means to me

Ursula K. Le Guin’s quote comes to mind, on the power of imagination, fiction, fantasy or science fiction in her case maybe:

“We live in capitalism. Its power seems inescapable. So did the divine right of kings. Any human power can be resisted and changed by human beings. Resistance and change often begin in art, and very often in our art, the art of words.”

In a Reading (done again as a Lost Person / Opening of the Book spread)

King of Pentacles - 7 of Cups - Temperance

IMG_0124.JPG

With the very practical, hands on King we have an antithesis to the imagination and unfocussed „imagination opens horizons / too many options“ energy of the 7 of Cups. Temperance reminds us to bring them together - if you have no ideas, and can’t imagine a different future or life, all the physical energy of doing stuff will go nowhere. But if you don’t chose and ground your energy into action, you’ll stay in the dusty cabinet of possibilities forever. Bringing Water and Fire together in the two vessels, standing on the ground and being surrounded by air, Temperance brings all four elements together. The 7 of the cups, but in the higher level of the 14.

Edited by le_charior

SheBeast

SEVEN OF CUPS – Ttue Black Tarot by Arthur Wang

Image Description: Seven cups are filled with golden animals in a sea of fog each representing a tempting fantasy. This all culminaIMG_1924.thumb.jpg.6ec93db28710321e0f855ae2156cbff5.jpgtes with a castle in the background formed out of the fog surrounding the cups.

By the Book: Temptation, Daydreaming, Fantasy, Unrealistic Choices, Superficiality. The card of wishful thinking, decoys along your path, tempting mirages and unrealistic wonderings not grounded in reality. Too many tempting choices face you and to find the true way you must look beyond them.

For me the 7 of Cups and the Devil are so closely tied together as they both deal with the problem of temptation in various forms. So this week I recorded my thoughts in comparing them both.

The Devil vs the 7 of Cups: When I was thinking about these two cards and how both embody that theme of temptation I started a list that I'd kept for the week. On the one side I had the 7 of Cups and on the other side The Devil and kept writing down key words or phrases that would come to me throughout the day. I like Rachel Pollack's description of this 7 as the most direct show of the Cups problem; passivity. Not weakness or an inability but rather a lack of grounding which I can relate to so much as of late. I'm finding it especially easy to get lost in my own imaginings none of which have any purchase in reality. This makes it truly difficult to see the path I'm SUPPOSED to be on rather than the path I imagine I am on. When reality comes around it leaves me feeling disappointed in many ways. At the end of the day its not the daydreams themselves that are the problem so much as it is the lack of any connection to action to make them manifest. For example, I love photography and I can become really good at it but not by imagining my pictures being the envy or coveting some other photographers equipment. The answer to that lies in action and a more realistic approach to the practice. That said, learning that my photos aren't all the rage I dream them to be won't be absolutely devastating so much as mildly depressing and frustrating. Unlike the Devil whose damage is so deep and lasting if not addressed, I find the 7C is more of a superficial disappointment; the “Damage Light” of hurt feelings if you will. At the end of it all, I think what separated the two for me personally was the description by Benebell Wen of the injury being psychic (Devil) vs emotional (7C). I have experienced both and in thinking about it this past week, I can really feel the difference between the two.

SheBeast
3 hours ago, le_charior said:

But if you don’t chose and ground your energy into action, you’ll stay in the dusty cabinet of possibilities forever. Bringing Water and Fire together in the two vessels, standing on the ground and being surrounded by air, Temperance brings all four elements together. The 7 of the cups, but in the higher level of the 14.

Love this statement @le_charior.  Dusty cabinet of possibilities is where my camera sits right now!  Really hoping to change that very soon.  I didn't do the Opening of the Book this week as it was a funny work week but went a different way with it.  Love the cards that surrounded your 7C.  Seriously put that card in its place!  

Thanks @SheBeast! And yes I think the 7 of Cups got the cards it needed and deserved! 🙂

On 3/7/2021 at 3:12 PM, SheBeast said:

At the end of it all, I think what separated the two for me personally was the description by Benebell Wen of the injury being psychic (Devil) vs emotional (7C).

Super interesting this comparison between Devil and the 7 cups, thanks for that, this added to my understanding of the card!

And i hope you get to pick your camera up and blow the dust off and enjoy taking some pictures again very soon!