Do you put your cards back in order after a reading?

Guest Night Shade

I don't reorder the cards after a reading, no.  But I do shuffle them so the cards from the reading are shuffled back into the deck and any energy from the reading is dissipated.

Periodically, I'll pop a deck on a windowsill overnight at the full moon.  I like to do the same at the solstices.  (Summer solstice I try to get them into the sun in the garden too.)  If I'm doing that, I'll sort the deck into order.  Kind of cleansing ritual thing.

If its a deck I use for reading,  no. Unless I wanted to check there were no missing cards - and I know I could just count but that wouldn't be the same.

If I don't use it for reading it will be in order, usually the same order it came in, or if I have shuffled it perhaps the order in its book/lwb.

I do not reorder them for the same reason others mentioned, but like D since I use reversals I do make sure all cards are facing the same direction.  I do re-order the decks if selling or trading them so people can easily know that it is complete.

AJ-ish/Sharyn

Unless I wanted to check there were no missing cards - and I know I could just count but that wouldn't be the same.

Just a caution, with new out of the box decks there will probably always be the right number of cards, but the problem will be two of something and none of another. Don't trust a simple count to assure yourself you have a full deck. Not bossing, but the voice of experience.

Just a caution, with new out of the box decks there will probably always be the right number of cards, but the problem will be two of something and none of another. Don't trust a simple count to assure yourself you have a full deck. Not bossing, but the voice of experience.

Oh, I'd always check new decks properly, have had a few misprinted cards over the years. Decks I've had for years though, I can't even count them. Have to check that every card is there! What if I miscounted...

Yes, I do put them back into order again.  Its a habit I've always had, even with playing cards and I was a kid.  I couldn't stand having them 'un-organized'.  Yes, I realize you need to shuffle a bit more then to mix them up--but that's good too and I usually do this before my client comes in for their reading.  A lot of clients aren't use to handling so many cards in a tarot deck and also the sizes can be rather large, thus difficult to handle--so I want to make sure it is mixed up well.  But, I also encourage my customers to shuffle the deck a lot as well.

I do not put them in a full moon or the sun anymore--though I did that a few times before.  I just don't have the time to do that anymore and my windowsills are not large enough for putting a deck of cards there--nor are my tables near the windows, where they can get the full moon and or direct sunlight cleared off enough for that.  :))

LoveLightPeace

I don't put the cards back in order after a reading. But, I do make sure that all of the cards are upright if I have used reversals. I will put the cards in order if I'm studying, doing number associations, or just feel like looking at the cards in order to see how the story unfolds from one card to the next in a suit.

MysticMonkey
I will put the cards in order if I'm studying, doing number associations, or just feel like looking at the cards in order to see how the story unfolds from one card to the next in a suit.

Sometimes this but most of the time I prefer to leave the deck shuffled.  I often leave the cards from the last reading on top just in case I want to look back over them later in the day and then next time, if I remember, I'll insert them randomly into the deck before shuffling unless the last reading was just a daily draw, then I don't bother. 

New decks I absolutely put into the right order so I can check they are all there and also to get a good overview of each suit. 

It take too long to reorganize them and then shuffle enough to randomize the cards. 

I always shuffle before a reading, but I almost always shuffle when I’m finished with the reading to reintegrate the cards and energy I used back into the deck. If I pulled six cards, I’ll make six piles of random sizes, put one card on top of each, stack the piles up, and shuffle a few times. I started doing this after I had a reading that pulled almost all the same cards as the reading before. I apparently did a crap job of shuffling before the second reading.  

I do not reorganize but I give them a proper shuffle after each reading to remove lingering energies. Plus, after really heavy readings I tend to also blow on my cards to get them feeling fresh again 😊 I usually don’t work with reversals but at the times I do, then I won’t leave reversals in the deck. I want to straighten out all the energies after a reading so that no old blocks remain (superstition? Probably, very much yes. But it works and makes a big difference for me!)

42 minutes ago, Raggydoll said:

I do not reorganize but I give them a proper shuffle after each reading to remove lingering energies. Plus, after really heavy readings I tend to also blow on my cards to get them feeling fresh again 😊 I usually don’t work with reversals but at the times I do, then I won’t leave reversals in the deck. I want to straighten out all the energies after a reading so that no old blocks remain (superstition? Probably, very much yes. But it works and makes a big difference for me!)

Exactly this.
I shuffle the cards after each reading as a signal that "we're done".

I always check a new deck -- ordering by WANDS CUPS SWORDS PENTS (original RWS/Golden Dawn order).

But after that, I like them to stay mixed. After a reading, I put them back randomly in the deck. Some decks are a bit of pain to mix because they tend to clump. So once they are good and mixed, I like to keep them that way.

Unless I'm studying, then I'll order the part of the deck I'm studying.

Or unless -- GASP -- I use them for solitaire.

33 minutes ago, McFaire said:

I always check a new deck -- ordering by WANDS CUPS SWORDS PENTS (original RWS/Golden Dawn order).

But after that, I like them to stay mixed. After a reading, I put them back randomly in the deck. Some decks are a bit of pain to mix because they tend to clump.

Those "sticky" or glossy decks I have a special ritual for 😊. I sit myself comfortably down in the sofa and go through it, card by card, and make sure no cards are stuck together before I then stick them back randomly in the deck. I go through the deck two times, making sure that no cards are stuck together. Plus I also flip through it quickly to see that no two cards are still in their original order (like if i see the fool next to the magician then I separate them and stick them into different parts of the deck.) When I am done, I shuffle it like usual. And if I see any cards that show up back together, then I know its not due to bad shuffling but to a special significance. I have had it happen several times that the cards I deliberately put in different parts of the deck still ended up next to each other after rigorous shuffling. And I take that as an important sign 🙂

So once they are good and mixed, I like to keep them that way.

Unless I'm studying, then I'll order the part of the deck I'm studying.

For sure. I have special 'study copies' of my RWS decks and those are always kept in order. Plus the ones I use for ritual, I tend to keep them in order too. I like having all the archetypal energies aligned and ready for those types of uses. 

Or unless -- GASP -- I use them for solitaire.

Awesome! 

I always check a new deck to make sure all the cards are there, but after I start using them I never put them back in the original order. I use reversals and intentionally randomize for both card sequence and orientation as part of my reading prep; eventually everything is thoroughly mixed and re-mixed. I wouldn't dream of starting over. I do have a couple of study decks that I keep in out-of-the-box order.

For the record, here is my deck randomizing method (with a nod of appreciation to Grizabella):

https://parsifalswheeldivination.com/2019/04/03/a-tarot-how-to-deck-randomization/

Edited by Barleywine

5 minutes ago, Saturn Celeste said:

@Barleywine do you keep reversals in your deck then?

If I understood the method correctly then I believe it deals with reversals too so that they get alternated as well.

Back when I started using reversals I left them in but randomized my shuffling so that all the cards was constantly shifted. But these days I prefer to straighten out the reversals as a way of resetting my decks. I guess I feel like the energies are never allowed to rest if the deck is continuously shuffled with reversals in. So for my way of doing readings these days, I much prefer to reset the reversals and shuffle carefully after each reading. It gives me a good neutral start for every session. I’m sure these subtleties don’t matter as much for some people. Since one of my gifts is that I read energies of objects and people, then it becomes important to take that into account for me. But everyone should try to find what resonates most with themselves  at any given moment (I do believe these things can change over time for some people). 

What an interesting topic , I never gave it much thought. I flip half the deck every time I shuffle ,reversals are well in there and my backings all different ways lol . I just make sure to touch them after and thank them .sometimes I ask them if they wish to stay out ( not be put in the dark) lol. It’s funny cause I’m pretty particular bout everything else ,but I guess I treat them more like a guest! Fun to hear what others do.

Saturn Celeste
33 minutes ago, Raggydoll said:

I guess I feel like the energies are never allowed to rest if the deck is continuously shuffled with reversals in.

Absolutely!  I can't stand leaving reversed cards in my decks!!  I am really particular about it.  I shuffle excessively then count out 21 cards and reverse them, then slip them into the middle of the deck and shuffle excessively again.  Then lay the cards out, but the entire time I'm setting my intention, repeating the sitter's question so the reversals in the deck are for that specific reading.  After the reading, all the reversals in the deck are turned upright and I'm ready for the next reading.  I think my decks are happy with the way I handle the reversals!

45 minutes ago, Saturn Celeste said:

@Barleywine do you keep reversals in your deck then?

Yes I do, and they become naturally more randomized each time I go through the process. I don't do it before every reading, usually every third one but I do shuffle overhand thoroughly each time and may cut the deck end-for-end a few times as I do Then I give it to the sitter for their own shuffle, which puts the cards in the necessary reading sequence, but I don't expect them to deal with reversals (seems like to much to ask).

Saturn Celeste
1 minute ago, Barleywine said:

Then I give it to the sitter for their own shuffle, which puts the cards in the necessary reading sequence, but I don't expect them to deal with reversals (seems like to much to ask).

Ah, so you are talking about reading for others face to face.  I only read online because I'm a recluse and don't leave my house.  I have read for family and friends face to face but I am more comfortable online.  I am more relaxed.  When I read face to face, because people are in my space (aside for my son), I am very nervous.  I find reversals fascinating and especially the way others handle them in their practices.  I don't always use reversals either, it depends on the type of reading I do, so it would not be a good thing to keep reversals in my deck all the time.  I also read with many decks and would forget if the deck even had reversed cards or not.  This way I know when I pull a deck to use, I know it has no reversals.

36 minutes ago, Raggydoll said:

If I understood the method correctly then I believe it deals with reversals too so that they get alternated as well.

Back when I started using reversals I left them in but randomized my shuffling so that all the cards was constantly shifted. But these days I prefer to straighten out the reversals as a way of resetting my decks. I guess I feel like the energies are never allowed to rest if the deck is continuously shuffled with reversals in. So for my way of doing readings these days, I much prefer to reset the reversals and shuffle carefully after each reading. It gives me a good neutral start for every session. I’m sure these subtleties don’t matter as much for some people. Since one of my gifts is that I read energies of objects and people, then it becomes important to take that into account for me. But everyone should try to find what resonates most with themselves  at any given moment (I do believe these things can change over time for some people). 

Interesting thought. I don't want my decks to ever get too "comfortable," since reading is such a fluid process. The way I do it, reversals constantly come and go for any given card. I like as much randomness before the final shuffle as I can get, recognizing that the final step is to put the cards in proper narrative order for the reading.

Saturn Celeste
2 minutes ago, Barleywine said:

I don't want my decks to ever get too "comfortable,"

Such an interesting statement!  I want my decks to be happy!  They love me as I love them!  Oh dear, I do sound like a nut don't I? 😜  But it's true!

15 minutes ago, Barleywine said:

Interesting thought. I don't want my decks to ever get too "comfortable," since reading is such a fluid process. The way I do it, reversals constantly come and go for any given card. I like as much randomness before the final shuffle as I can get, recognizing that the final step is to put the cards in proper narrative order for the reading.

10 minutes ago, Saturn Celeste said:

Such an interesting statement!  I want my decks to be happy!  They love me as I love them!  Oh dear, I do sound like a nut don't I? 😜  But it's true!

You are both so funny! 😆 I guess we are all equally nuts (or super sane, depending who you ask or compare with 😄) But I don’t really worry about whether my decks are happy or uncomfortable, I only care about how I feel when I handle them. For me it’s all about energy. Sometimes it’s an active energy and sometimes it’s more like energy residue. But maybe I should worry more about how my decks feel and not just be so egocentric all the time. Though I sort of believe that I automatically tune into my decks energy state when I’m handling it, so I guess that counts too... Hmm.. Food for thought ☺️

14 minutes ago, Saturn Celeste said:

Ah, so you are talking about reading for others face to face.  I only read online because I'm a recluse and don't leave my house.  I have read for family and friends face to face but I am more comfortable online.  I am more relaxed.  When I read face to face, because people are in my space (aside for my son), I am very nervous.  I find reversals fascinating and especially the way others handle them in their practices.  I don't always use reversals either, it depends on the type of reading I do, so it would not be a good thing to keep reversals in my deck all the time.  I also read with many decks and would forget if the deck even had reversed cards or not.  This way I know when I pull a deck to use, I know it has no reversals.

I'm just the opposite. I have a constitutional aversion to remote reading (and have a rant or two about it on my blog), unless the client pulls their own cards and tells me what they got. I believe tarot works by "subconscious induction" through handling the cards, and since I don't intentionally practice psychism on my sitters, I don't want the cards responding to my own inner impressions of the situation. I do have some spreads that don't use reversals, and when I do those I just turn any reversed cards upright as I go.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.