Magical Dogs Tarot

RavenOfSummer

EmpyreanKnight

There is a new card on display on her instragram!

Ack, that pupper is a fine-looking one!

And I like the Dog Star concept. AFAIK the Dog Star is Sirius, the brightest star in the sky, from the constellation of the Great Dog, Canis Major. The star also marked the hottest days of summer for the ancients - that's why it's called the dog days of summer.

I see that this is a pretty smart Tarot deck. I can't wait for September!

Another Basenji? Is this going to be an all-Basenji Tarot, I wonder?

I was hoping for a variety: legendary, mythological, and/or historical dogs, which would require dogs from different parts of the world. Not just one dog posing as this & that.

Oh well, I'll probably still buy it. Dog Tarots are too few and far between.  :(

If it's anything like the Mystical Cats, it's going to be normal dogs who live in 4 different groups + majors.  The cats doesn't have mythicals on it, if you don't count the cabbits in the Devil card!  :o

EmpyreanKnight

I would love for it to include small puppers too, like shih tzus and pugs and yorkies. :D

And I checked out the Devil card in the Mystical Cats, but it was only a demon cat. Cabbits would be cat-rabbit hybrids, won't they?

CherryNukaCola

I had a blue heeler who lost the use of her back legs for unknown reasons (we suspect it was a stroke..) and we had to put her down.  It hurts SO MUCH.  She lost the will to eat or do anything...

*Hugs*

I love The Star - especially that Ibis creeping around in the background!

Now now, there will be no cats vs dogs arguments brewing on my forum!  8)  They both have their merits!

(Discussion is nice in the context of the deck and magicalness, it's just one of those things people have BIG opinions on and I'm just preparing the fire extinguisher!)

But yes, dogs do a big service to humanity and we are lucky to have them.  I was watching the news today and they were showing the dogs that visit sick people in the hospital.  Also some airports have stress relieving dogs for those who are anxious to fly!

I had a blue heeler who lost the use of her back legs for unknown reasons (we suspect it was a stroke..) and we had to put her down.  It hurts SO MUCH.  She lost the will to eat or do anything...

Hugs LF! It is definitely hard to lose our pets in any circumstance. So sorry to hear about her.

Over the years, we have had 3 budgies, 2 snakes, 2 cats and 5 dogs. We have two dogs right now. With all of those, I'd say I'm still a dog person more than any other pet.

A few years ago I had an interesting vision of our prehistoric ancestors and their (relatively) recently "domesticated" dogs. Or rather, the ancestors of our current day dogs.

I'm also hopeful that there will be more than Basenjis in the deck ...

At first I read ''I'm also hopeful that there will be MORE Basenjis in the deck'' HAHAHA  ;D

But, isn't the first dog a shiba inu though? That's what I thought at first and now I'm comparing with real pictures of shibas and I'm pretty sure it's one and not a basenji.  ???

At first I read ''I'm also hopeful that there will be MORE Basenjis in the deck'' HAHAHA  ;D

But, isn't the first dog a shiba inu though? That's what I thought at first and now I'm comparing with real pictures of shibas and I'm pretty sure it's one and not a basenji.  ???

Now that you mention it, the smaller ears and expression do say Shiba Inu. But it doesn't quite have that big round Shibe face.

Maybe the artist has a mix, or a purebred that's less "typey", and that's her dog.

I guess we'll find out sooner or later!  :D

I can't say for sure. It seems that the second image is a basenji. The first one might have been a shiba inu, but since we can't see it's tail, it's difficult to tell ...

EmpyreanKnight

One more thing. He has some serious bling, there are noticeable reds in the cards, and he has an ankh. Coyld he be the Emperor?

That's such a cute doggo. I wonder what breed he is tho. :D

Looks like a Lab, but those white markings - maybe a not-to-standard one, or a mix. Cool dog. :)

One more thing. He has some serious bling, there are noticeable reds in the cards, and he has an ankh. Coyld he be the Emperor?

There's a bull on his collar and that stone beside him - I'm guessing KP.

RavenOfSummer

There's a bull on his collar and that stone beside him - I'm guessing KP.

I did sorta think that the Emperor must be a more imposing dog, so maybe you're right, katrinka. :)

I went back and looked at the original post from Mickie Mueller, and your initial instinct was correct, EmpyreanKnight- this dog is The Emperor. Here's what she says:

All hail the Emperor of Magical Dogs Tarot! His experience and authority over all thing canine show on his quizzical face framed by the white eyebrows and beard, he brings his mastery of canine wisdom to all who might ask. The model for this was my sister and brother-in-laws dog Hank, truly a great dog full of the wisdom of arcane canines. Watch for this deck coming September 2018 from Llewellyn Worldwide

Ah, she picked that one for the silvered face. I can see that.  :D

I'd have picked a Molosser-type dog, something more imposing, as EmpyreanKnight says, for the Emperor. The kind of dog that doesn't have to DO anything but put his face in the window to frighten off an intruder.

Maybe a Boerboel? This guy looks like pure quiet authority.  ;D And if his left rear leg was back just a bit more, you'd have the famous figure 4/Jupiter effect.

1cbbv6N.jpg

All hail the Emperor of Magical Dogs Tarot! His experience and authority over all thing canine show on his quizzical face framed by the white eyebrows and beard, he brings his mastery of canine wisdom to all who might ask. The model for this was my sister and brother-in-laws dog Hank, truly a great dog full of the wisdom of arcane canines. Watch for this deck coming September 2018 from Llewellyn Worldwide

ALL dogs are full of wisdom. Even the most goofy ones are Idiot Buddhas and Holy Fools. Even at their grossest moments - isn't one of the goals of Tantra to transform filth to nectar? Think about that next time your dog eats a poo. I've had dogs that would have thrown their lives away for me without hesitation. "Greater love hath no man..." etc. Whatever the source of things is, they're closer to it than we are.

As much as I want to see a dog Tarot, I don't think I'd be able to read with this one. I'd just be thinking about what I would have done differently. I'll probably still buy it as an act of solidarity (We can't let the cat people run the whole show, after all. We're here, too. 8) ) but I'd really like to see less "magical" and more "dogs" and "Tarot". I don't care about woo and ankhs and chunky jewelry on dogs. I want the dog itself to resonate with the meaning.

RavenOfSummer

ALL dogs are full of wisdom. Even the most goofy ones are Idiot Buddhas and Holy Fools. Even at their grossest moments - isn't one of the goals of Tantra to transform filth to nectar? Think about that next time your dog eats a poo. I've had dogs that would have thrown their lives away for me without hesitation. "Greater love hath no man..." etc. Whatever the source of things is, they're closer to it than we are.

As much as I want to see a dog Tarot, I don't think I'd be able to read with this one. I'd just be thinking about what I would have done differently. I'll probably still buy it as an act of solidarity (We can't let the cat people run the whole show, after all. We're here, too.) but I'd really like to see less "magical" and more "dogs" and "Tarot". I don't care about woo and ankhs and chunky jewelry on dogs. I want the dog itself to resonate with the meaning.

I sense there is deck creation in your future katrinka!

As much as I want to see a dog Tarot, I don't think I'd be able to read with this one. I'd just be thinking about what I would have done differently. I'll probably still buy it as an act of solidarity (We can't let the cat people run the whole show, after all. We're here, too.) but I'd really like to see less "magical" and more "dogs" and "Tarot". I don't care about woo and ankhs and chunky jewelry on dogs. I want the dog itself to resonate with the meaning.

I sense there is deck creation in your future katrinka!

When I have the time to sit and paint 78 dogs, sure.  :D

It's not happening until I retire, though.

It's meant to compliment the Mystical Cats deck however, which follows 4 elemental cat clans who do have jewelry and live differently.  :)  That is why it's being made as it is.  I'm not really a dog person though, so I can't speak for which breeds should go where.  Then again, that was not something I even noticed with the cats either.  They all seemed to fit, Persian, Siamese, or mixed.

I do want to pick up this deck, but I can't any real judgments on it until I see most of the cards.  8)

EmpyreanKnight

I went back and looked at the original post from Mickie Mueller, and your initial instinct was correct, EmpyreanKnight- this dog is The Emperor. Here's what she says:

Hey thanks, RavenOfSummer! I'm glad to meet the alpha dog this early on. ;D AFAIK the Emperor is the only card with a noticeable ankh in the imagery, so yeah. And it is my favorite Atu, so it's nice to see him now. :) I guess all those times spent playing the Card Guessing Game at the old AT paid off.

Looking at him again, wth I love him now. ❤

EmpyreanKnight

I would definitely be grabbing this deck when it comes out. I don't have many animal-themed Tarot decks - in fact the only one I know of is the Wild Unknown. But a deck about dogs that is so beautifully executed is 100% up my alley. ;D

Well to be honest, there's only one dealbreaker for me. If the Death or 10 of Swords or any card for that matter exhibit undue gore or violence, I'm going to nope my way out. I don't want to see dogs turned into pincushions or worse! I trust the artist has enough sensitivity and tact not to go that way since even "negative" cards can be done tastefully.

I really don't think Mickie will do that!  There's no pincushion kitties or gore in the cats edition, and I know she loves her animals!

The Mystical Cats Death card is my most favorite version of the Death card in any deck.  I'm really excited to see where this goes.  :-*