Raggydoll

Article: How to spot a fake deck and why it matters

gregory

Holy shit. Copied that image elsewhere, Raggy - I hope that's OK.

Will FB do nothing to act against copyright infringement ?

Raggydoll
37 minutes ago, gregory said:

Holy shit. Copied that image elsewhere, Raggy - I hope that's OK.

It’s fine. It has been shared in multiple groups. I have no idea what Facebook will do. If I hear anything else I will update you all. 

gregory

I wonder if Ciro will let us NAME offenders - I have asked !

AJ-ish/Sharyn

naming the group will only increase it's membership. I get bashed every time I say it, but I hate pinterest for the same reason, stolen intellectual property. 

Flaxen

This is just horrible. It must be so galling to see work you’ve taken years to produce counterfeited in this way. 

It is deeply unethical. 

gregory
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AJ-ish/Sharyn said:

naming the group will only increase it's membership. I get bashed every time I say it, but I hate pinterest for the same reason, stolen intellectual property. 

Yeah - but there are people who probably post here who might be embarrassed to be outed - got to be good :evil:  Maybe name THEM and not their group ?

Edited by gregory

katrinka
24 minutes ago, gregory said:

Yeah - but there are people who probably post here who might be embarrassed to be outed - got to be good :evil:  Maybe name THEM and not their group ?

I think the people and the group should be named, with a notation of who the group owner is.
They apparently don't have a problem with people knowing they're thieves if they're doing this at a facebook group.
And if they do, tough ****.
And if they're here, they're probably file sharing via PM. Does TTM really want to be a platform for that?
Shine a light on vermin and watch it scatter.

3 hours ago, gregory said:

You can try it. Click the "More" button under the banner image. There's an option to report the group. Pick "Find support or report group" from the dropdown menu. Then pick "Unauthorized sales."
And report the individual posts. As many as you can.

4 hours ago, Starlight said:

We're living in a time where the thinking is "I want this and I'll have it one way or the other." Forget about fair exchange, or give and receive. This really is horrible carry-on.

Yes. A lot of people seem to want what they want when they want it, and that's it.

As a slight aside, I'm not sure I'd consider the Tarot community a spiritual community.  I don't think using Tarot means someone is spiritual, although Spirituality can encompass Tarot.

Agreed. I've been saying that for years.

My interpretation was he was saying he expected better of the Tarot Community. The things is, pirates sell to people interested in Tarot. Which also makes me wonder about that word "community". I don't think everyone interested in Tarot makes a cohesive community with shared values.

I've been saying that, too. People were saying we all need to be supportive of each other in "the community." But the thing is, some people in the "community" are racists, Holocaust deniers...you get the picture. Also blatant thieves who drive people like Ciro out of business.
I blogged about THAT in 2014.

The thing is, if there is to be anything resembling a community, it needs an immune system. We need to BE that immune system.

Which is beside the point. It sounds like he's going to be naming and shaming in the next few hours and I understand how angry he must be. 18 years of work stolen.

Good.

reall
Posted (edited)

imp fb will probably promptly to take group down, we are discussing this issue for a while on fb & JM have great post about it on other forum & elsewhere,

& frankly I'm with Ciro here! imo lwb Should be free for download same as usg is doing as most decks will lose it with time especially if not held in *original tuckbox!;)

But at least we should expect Big publisher lawyers teams to be interested in stoping cards piracy? &

imo big contributor to problem are big selling platform that encourage sales of pirated decks by Not taking down sellers that are proven to offer counterfeit decks!

so people presume deck they find on amazon/ebay/etsy is legit But it's easy to spot fake simply by looking at size!:)

imo even if it cost 7$ or less than legit online bookstore if it's smaller size & that deck is not published as mini that is a good sign it's fake!;)

Edited by reall

Papageno
22 minutes ago, reall said:

But at least we should expect Big publisher lawyers teams to be interested in stoping cards piracy?

It goes without saying that U.S. Games Systems and Llewellyn have their legal teams hard at work, but at some point it becomes a game of "whack-a-mole", and I think they realize that they have reached a juncture where it's no longer possible to effectively serve "cease and desist orders" because the problem is already so widespread, like an out of control wildfire. 

Raggydoll

Ciro has named the group on his facebook page, but I will not post the name here and I encourage others to also refrain from doing so. I don't think we need to advertise their business. Lots and lots of people have already reported them to facebook and notified copyright holders so i hope that it will be taken down shortly. We also won't do any naming and shaming of members or people here either. 

Papageno
32 minutes ago, Raggydoll said:

Ciro has named the group on his facebook page, but I will not post the name here and I encourage others to also refrain from doing so. I don't think we need to advertise their business. Lots and lots of people have already reported them to facebook and notified copyright holders so i hope that it will be taken down shortly. We also won't do any naming and shaming of members or people here either. 

that is good advice. 

gregory
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, katrinka said:

You can try it. Click the "More" button under the banner image. There's an option to report the group. Pick "Find support or report group" from the dropdown menu. Then pick "Unauthorized sales."

UM - I am not on FB; how do you suggest.... :classic_ninja:

People were saying we all need to be supportive of each other in "the community." But the thing is, some people in the "community" are racists, Holocaust deniers...you get the picture. Also blatant thieves who drive people like Ciro out of business.

Let's don't get into Other Issues. The issue here is piracy.

1 hour ago, reall said:

imp fb will probably promptly to take group down, we are discussing this issue for a while on fb & JM have great post about it on other forum & elsewhere,

& frankly I'm with Ciro here! imo lwb Should be free for download same as usg is doing as most decks will lose it with time especially if not held in *original tuckbox!;)

But at least we should expect Big publisher lawyers teams to be interested in stoping cards piracy? &

imo big contributor to problem are big selling platform that encourage sales of pirated decks by Not taking down sellers that are proven to offer counterfeit decks!

FB have apparently already told at least one complainant that it isn't against their guidelines.

Edited by gregory

Raggydoll
15 minutes ago, gregory said:

FB have apparently already told at least one complainant that it isn't against their guidelines.

Well I just heard that someone notified Disney that one of their decks were copied and shared freely in that group. So maybe a word from them will sway Facebook? 

gregory

OOOH Zuckerkberg vs Disney. Send popcorn....

katrinka

20 minutes ago, gregory said:

I saw that, she reported the group for selling regulated items. But decks don't fall under the legal definition of a regulated item.

The problem is that FB doesn't seem to have "copyright infringement" on the dropdown menu anymore. So nothing fits exactly. I had to use "Unauthorized sales", and facebook will probably blow me off, too.

Ah! Here we go!
https://www.facebook.com/help/contact/634636770043106

And yes, that was intended for everybody. Though I would love to see you make a fake account and make facebook a smoking crater. 😁)

katrinka

I'm in.
When you report an individual post, you get a "something else" option.
Click that, and then "intellectual property."
Report, report, report.

geoxena
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, Raggydoll said:

someone notified Disney that one of their decks were copied

Disney makes tarot decks?  I didn't know that!

Ok, so I have a fake FB acct which I rarely use.  Like every few years, actually.  But today (after forgetting my password and having to reset it), I went to Ciro Marchetti's FB profile and didn't see anything about this piracy group there.  Does he have more than one account there?

ETA: I just realized I might have to friend him if that's a post for friends only.

Edited by geoxena

Papageno
40 minutes ago, gregory said:

LMAO!!! 

Disney, now those ARE the BIG GUNS baby!

gregory
1 hour ago, geoxena said:

More LICENSES them.

Like this one:

s-l500.jpg

Raggydoll
1 hour ago, geoxena said:

Ok, so I have a fake FB acct which I rarely use.  Like every few years, actually.  But today (after forgetting my password and having to reset it), I went to Ciro Marchetti's FB profile and didn't see anything about this piracy group there.  Does he have more than one account there?

ETA: I just realized I might have to friend him if that's a post for friends only.

Yes you can only see it if you’re friends with him 🙂

Raggydoll
2 hours ago, gregory said:

ok go popcorn GIF

reall
3 hours ago, gregory said:

Woah! I know Russian fb have lax politic on *sharing files but somehow I expected better from Zukenberg!x,x facepalm

reall
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Papageno said:

It goes without saying that U.S. Games Systems and Llewellyn have their legal teams hard at work, but at some point it becomes a game of "whack-a-mole", and I think they realize that they have reached a juncture where it's no longer possible to effectively serve "cease and desist orders" because the problem is already so widespread, like an out of control wildfire. 

I think it was mentioned problem is outdated law regulation that needs update so cease & desist will have stronger effect & at least serve to remove these confirmed pirates from popular platforms!;)

p.s Go Disney!:D

Edited by reall

katrinka

I never thought I'd find myself rooting for The Mouse. 🤮