Jump to content
Raggydoll

Decks Created by Black, Indigenous, and/or other People of Color

Recommended Posts

FLizarraga
On 6/20/2020 at 11:54 AM, Flaxen said:

What about Lynyrd Narisco’s decks? He is based in the Philippines and has many brilliant decks: Vanessa and Tarot de Maria Cecilia are widely available. 
 

He’s created other beautiful decks but they may not be as easy to come by?

I vote for including Lynyrd Narciso's many wonderful decks, too!

 

And, since we're on the subject of Asian decks, I'd like to nominate the Dreaming Way Tarot. True, most of the people portrayed are, or seem, European, but the creators (Rome Choi and Kwon Shina) are both Asian (Korean, if I remember correctly), and the whole flavor of it is very much Asian.

 

091.jpg

 

031.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BlueToy
Posted (edited)
On 6/21/2020 at 1:28 AM, gregory said:

I have no idea of his ethnicity though - the guy I suggested and then said well, no is VERY Yukon - but is definitely not BAME.

I am Filipino. Southeast Asian. Def not White. 😉 Though, we do have interesting mixes in our country, given our colonial past (Spanish and then American), and precolonial trade with our neighbors (Indian and Chinese, but also Arab missionaries in the South, and the modern mixed ethnic results of our migrant people). I am of maritime Southeast Asian stock (Indonesians and Malaysians are our brothers), but am also of partial Chinese, Indian, and Spanish descent (there might be some Mexican in it, because there was a Mexican colony in my father's province during the Manila-Acapulco galleon trade era, but I am not sure).

 

Most of my published and unpublished works can be found here: https://www.paraluman-studio.com/ (as Gregory would know! Lol she has copies of all of them! 😄)

 

Not all of them are "ethnic", though. The "ethnic" ones I have done are: Tarot of the Curious East (pan-Asian), Tarot Rikit (pan-Southeast Asian), some Asian elements in Tarot ng Pasasalamat, and Anino Lenormand (which is inspired by Filipino and Southeast Asian textile patterns and shadow puppets, and even graffiti). The last one is more accessible than the former, which are old, limited-edition creations. My two cards for US Games' Pride Tarot also feature "ethnic" Asian themes: an Asian monk in the Seven of Pentacles, and a Filipino sorbetero (ice cream man) in the Six of Cups. I felt, aside from the "inclusiveness" of the pride theme, it would also be a great opportunity to promote inclusive cultural diversity.

 

I am glad threads like these exist. I do hope there is more welcome discussion about BIPOC creators and creations. I am glad too that this thread has a more welcoming atmosphere (one that is open to discourse rather than hasty judgment). I have seen discussion elswhere (FB) where people seem antagonistic towards "non-ethnics" who try to work using "ethnic" themes, even if it comes from a genuine interest and appreciation for the cultures which were the inspiration for the artworks. Made me realize how much I miss (and prefer) forum discussions over social media ones. 🙂

 

-Ly

Edited by BlueToy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Raggydoll
1 hour ago, BlueToy said:

I am Filipino. Southeast Asian. Def not White. 😉 Though, we do have interesting mixes in our country, given our colonial past (Spanish and then American), and precolonial trade with our neighbors (Indian and Chinese, but also Arab missionaries in the South, and the modern mixed ethnic results of our migrant people). I am of maritime Southeast Asian stock (Indonesians and Malaysians are our brothers), but am also of partial Chinese, Indian, and Spanish descent (there might be some Mexican in it, because there was a Mexican colony in my father's province during the Manila-Acapulco galleon trade era, but I am not sure).

 

Most of my published and unpublished works can be found here: https://www.paraluman-studio.com/ (as Gregory would know! Lol she has copies of all of them! 😄)

 

Not all of them are "ethnic", though. The "ethnic" ones I have done are: Tarot of the Curious East (pan-Asian), Tarot Rikit (pan-Southeast Asian), some Asian elements in Tarot ng Pasasalamat, and Anino Lenormand (which is inspired by Filipino and Southeast Asian textile patterns and shadow puppets, and even graffiti). The last one is more accessible than the former, which are old, limited-edition creations. My two cards for US Games' Pride Tarot also feature "ethnic" Asian themes: an Asian monk in the Seven of Pentacles, and a Filipino sorbetero (ice cream man) in the Six of Cups. I felt, aside from the "inclusiveness" of the pride theme, it would also be a great opportunity to promote inclusive cultural diversity.

 

I am glad threads like these exist. I do hope there is more welcome discussion about BIPOC creators and creations. I am glad too that this thread has a more welcoming atmosphere (one that is open to discourse rather than hasty judgment). I have seen discussion elswhere (FB) where people seem antagonistic towards "non-ethnics" who try to work using "ethnic" themes, even if it comes from a genuine interest and appreciation for the cultures which were the inspiration for the artworks. Made me realize how much I miss (and prefer) forum discussions over social media ones. 🙂

 

-Ly

Wonderful! I added all the ones you mentioned to our list and now I am looking at your page. Your decks look wonderful! Thank you for taking the time to come here and be part of the conversation. I do hope you decide to stay! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FLizarraga

 

5 hours ago, BlueToy said:

Most of my published and unpublished works can be found here: https://www.paraluman-studio.com/ (as Gregory would know! Lol she has copies of all of them! 😄)

 

LOL --why am I not surprised?

 

5 hours ago, BlueToy said:

Not all of them are "ethnic", though. The "ethnic" ones I have done are: Tarot of the Curious East (pan-Asian), Tarot Rikit (pan-Southeast Asian), some Asian elements in Tarot ng Pasasalamat, and Anino Lenormand (which is inspired by Filipino and Southeast Asian textile patterns and shadow puppets, and even graffiti). The last one is more accessible than the former, which are old, limited-edition creations. My two cards for US Games' Pride Tarot also feature "ethnic" Asian themes: an Asian monk in the Seven of Pentacles, and a Filipino sorbetero (ice cream man) in the Six of Cups. I felt, aside from the "inclusiveness" of the pride theme, it would also be a great opportunity to promote inclusive cultural diversity.

I read sorbetero, and I'm reminded of every Filipino movie I have ever seen. The Philippines look uncannily like Cuba, landscape, architecture and all, and when you hear people speak, there are all these Spanish words jumping at you, seemingly out of nowhere, all the time.

 

A Cuban friend of mine visited Manila and told me, "I felt like I was back in Havana! It was unbelievable!"

5 hours ago, BlueToy said:

I am glad threads like these exist. I do hope there is more welcome discussion about BIPOC creators and creations. I am glad too that this thread has a more welcoming atmosphere (one that is open to discourse rather than hasty judgment). I have seen discussion elswhere (FB) where people seem antagonistic towards "non-ethnics" who try to work using "ethnic" themes, even if it comes from a genuine interest and appreciation for the cultures which were the inspiration for the artworks. Made me realize how much I miss (and prefer) forum discussions over social media ones. 🙂

I know what you mean. The whole "appropriation" discussion is definitely going too far, IMHO.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BlueToy
23 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

Wonderful! I added all the ones you mentioned to our list and now I am looking at your page. Your decks look wonderful! Thank you for taking the time to come here and be part of the conversation. I do hope you decide to stay! 

Thank you! I have been a member here for some time but have not posted nor visited much since I signed up. I'm considering hanging out more often in online forums because of the toxic atmosphere in social media nowadays . 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Raggydoll
4 minutes ago, BlueToy said:

Thank you! I have been a member here for some time but have not posted nor visited much since I signed up. I'm considering hanging out more often in online forums because of the toxic atmosphere in social media nowadays . 🙂

I know what you mean. Social media can bring out the worst in people. (And I thought I recognized your avatar!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
BlueToy
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, FLizarraga said:

I read sorbetero, and I'm reminded of every Filipino movie I have ever seen. The Philippines look uncannily like Cuba, landscape, architecture and all, and when you hear people speak, there are all these Spanish words jumping at you, seemingly out of nowhere, all the time.

 

A Cuban friend of mine visited Manila and told me, "I felt like I was back in Havana! It was unbelievable!"

 

 

  Yes, there definitely are similarities with our culture and Latin American ones (but then, we also have similarities with Indonesian and Malaysian cultures). (We should talk more about those Filipino films you've watched via PM. I could recommend a couple more to you, based on your tastes, at least based on our previous conversations in Aeclectic :D)

 

About Spanish - it's also true from the opposite perspective. I don't speak the language (it was abolished from our educational system a couple of years after I was born), but can understand phrases and simple sentences. Like, the other day, I was listening to Volcanes Dormidos by Carlos Sadness and I was surprised that there were whole phrases I could understand - which seemingly came out of nowhere. 😄

18 hours ago, FLizarraga said:

I know what you mean. The whole "appropriation" discussion is definitely going too far, IMHO.

 

The sad trend nowadays, at least in social media, seems to be 1) have a personal interpretation of something and assert it as universal reality (I feel this is discriminatory. And therefore it universally is!), and 2) assume the creator's intent regarding the artwork (That's a brown skinned woman in a field, with scars on her back! That's slavery, that is! The creator is a white woman! She has no right depicting slavery! - this actually happened last year, sad to say). I feel things have become more and more polarized (probably as a consequence of the toxic environment in social media). There seems to be no discussion anymore. It always seems to be "I'm right, you're wrong", or "you did something bad, therefore, your entire existence is evil!". LOL I'm sorry, it really does seem frustrating at times. I remember having a short discussion with someone in the comments section in FB, about Major Tom's Tarot's deck creation thread in AT, and wondering how it was that people who disagreed back then in the forums did so with so much respect, politeness, candor, and even humor.

Edited by BlueToy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PathWalker
Posted (edited)

Glad to see Ly here, and to read his comments. :classic_smile:

Edited by PathWalker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
katrinka
On 7/7/2020 at 12:14 PM, BlueToy said:

Most of my published and unpublished works can be found here: https://www.paraluman-studio.com/ (as Gregory would know! Lol she has copies of all of them! 😄)

Oh, dear. There's a Deco Lenormand. Two of my favorite things: Deco and Lenormand. When does it launch? 😁

On 7/7/2020 at 12:14 PM, BlueToy said:

I am glad threads like these exist. I do hope there is more welcome discussion about BIPOC creators and creations. I am glad too that this thread has a more welcoming atmosphere (one that is open to discourse rather than hasty judgment). I have seen discussion elswhere (FB) where people seem antagonistic towards "non-ethnics" who try to work using "ethnic" themes, even if it comes from a genuine interest and appreciation for the cultures which were the inspiration for the artworks. Made me realize how much I miss (and prefer) forum discussions over social media ones. 🙂

I think some decks are questionable, at the very least, but OTOH some people tend to kneejerk over things. Especially on facebook.  If there was no cultural exchange at all, people like me would still be listening to songs like Here We Come A-wassailing, and we couldn't have any tacos. :grin:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spicysmile

thank you for the infos ! 🙂 I'm going to check it out now 🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cosita
Posted (edited)

A deck that's been missed is Circo Tarot by Marisa de la Peña, which was originally a Kickstarter deck. The mass market version is called How to Deal Tarot.

 

 

Edited by cosita
Added link to youtube review

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Raggydoll
2 hours ago, cosita said:

A deck that's been missed is Circo Tarot by Marisa de la Peña, which was originally a Kickstarter deck. The mass market version is called How to Deal Tarot.

 

 

oh yes, absolutely - adding it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
katrinka
11 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

Something to look forward to 💕

 

 

OMG I love her videos! She has such an informed, intelligent perspective. Looking forward to this!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TarotPhD

Next World Tarot- Cristy C. Road- queer woman of color

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Raggydoll
4 hours ago, TarotPhD said:

Next World Tarot- Cristy C. Road- queer woman of color

Of course, can’t believe I forgot that one. Thank you ❤️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.