Any Interest in Starting a New 78 Week Study?

Gardener

Oh... and I'm probably going to go sequential, because KISS (keep it simple silly)… and I don't have the energy to remember or keep track of what I've studied and what I haven't. I'm embracing the lazy way out. 

Hello Grace, we are delighted to have you join the adventure!  I am very interested to follow your study of the Hermetic deck because I understand a little about Kabbalah but not much and this will be eye-opening.  Third-eye opening?

Gregory, dear, are you joining the fun or just advising?  I assumed just advising, but assumptions are dangerous things...

All who have been following this thread will have been amused to watch me flip-flop and agonize of which deck to be faithful to for 78 weeks.  

Fortunately AJ-ish/Sharyn has alerted me to THE SUPREME ALTERNATIVE - which is PathWalkers Patchwork Tarot.  Yes, this is one card each from 78 different decks.  This is the perfect solution to my dilemma and I can't wait to receive this treasure.

I will ask here - are people ready to start this Sunday or do we need an extra week?

If you have chosen your deck but not posted here, perhaps you can tell us now, and I will update this post.

Gardener - Patchwork Tarot

Surreal - deviant moon, the mary el or possibly the golden tarot

Rupicapra - Morgan Greer

Contrascarpe - I've heard rumors of the Artist's Inner Vision, unreliable rumors

FindYourSovereignty - considering Wild Unknown, but how seriously?

peacewing

Grace - Hermetic

WildPlace - Wildwood

Katrinka

I have posted the thread with the Index of Cards, and that's pinned to the top of this subforum.

Sunday I will start a general discussion thread for the study, and we will pin that too.  One thing I am hoping will talk about in this thread is what we will do each week to study that week's card.  As mentioned, I am going to draw on Mary Greer's 21 Ways.  My personal trio is going to be:

1) Describe the card literally with no judgments or interpretations or meanings

2) Describe my emotional response to the card

3) Tell a small story inspired by the card

Then there are other things I'll do on weeks I have more time.

Edited by Gardener

Contrascarpe, I like your idea that all of us start with the Fool, the archetype we each embody as we begin our adventure.  That way the first week will will all have a shared purpose, and all be posting in the same card thread.  From there, people can decide whether to stay sequential or randomly roam...

It's not luck. Just don't let yourself get far behind, then you lose heart and .... Also try and keep a group going. It can get very lonely. I was lucky - CreativeFire was watching me and used to PM at times to offer a bit of moral support - she finished it and one other person did - I forget who, now. From her finishing the thing was born her FABULOUS deck. So, see, it's even GOOD for you !

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/creative-fire/

Edited by gregory

You guys are committing to a year and a half. 🤯
The only way I could maybe, possibly complete something like that would be to do 3 or 4 cards a week, and even then I might not.
The last ones standing will be some tough cookies, indeed!

FindYourSovereignty
11 hours ago, surreal said:

I am asking how the deck will work in this then drawing a card .

I like this idea. Thank you for sharing it.

3 hours ago, Gardener said:

I will ask here - are people ready to start this Sunday or do we need an extra week?

I am ready for Sunday.

If you have chosen your deck but not posted here, perhaps you can tell us now, and I will update this post.

I will confirm the deck by Friday. I am thinking of choosing a deck that doesn’t have a decent guidebook, but am going to try surreal’s approach. 

I have posted the thread with the Index of Cards, and that's pinned to the top of this subforum.

Thank you!

Sunday I will start a general discussion thread for the study, and we will pin that too.  One thing I am hoping will talk about in this thread is what we will do each week to study that week's card.  As mentioned, I am going to draw on Mary Greer's 21 Ways.  My personal trio is going to be:

I like these three and I have Mary Greer’s book.

Looking forward to this activity.

2 hours ago, Gardener said:

oh no, Gregory, we appreciate having advisors!  I just didn't want to leave you off the list and then find out I was cruelly neglecting you.

I can't imaging completing the 78 weeks TWICE.  I think we'll all be lucky to get through it ONCE!

Thank you for advising. I appreciate hearing your thoughts and insights.

57 minutes ago, katrinka said:

You guys are committing to a year and a half. 🤯
The only way I could maybe, possibly complete something like that would be to do 3 or 4 cards a week, and even then I might not.
The last ones standing will be some tough cookies, indeed!

I ain't no tough cookie.

Honestly - if you genuinely decide to do it - it holds your interest.

4 minutes ago, gregory said:

I ain't no tough cookie.

Honestly - if you genuinely decide to do it - it holds your interest.

It does? I'll give it a shot. (Famous last words, lol.)
I have a deck I'm trying to get the hang of...

Wow Gregory, nice work persuading Katrinka to join our gang of merry travelers!

WildPlace and Katrinka, you are most welcome.  We have quite a crew!

WildPlace, whenever you wish to do Mary Greer's step 20 - Comparison to other decks - you will have to compare to Wild Unknown or any other deck with "wild" in the name, just to keep with your theme...

In response to the One Tough Cookie problem, I'm going to put out a prize - anyone who completes their 78 week study will receive a mystery tarot deck of my choice as a prize.  To be clear, this is not a pre-existing tarot deck known as the Mystery Tarot - for all I know, such a thing already exists.  No, this will be a secret, you won't know what deck you're getting until it's in your hot little hands.

I have been thinking of ways to keep our sprits up, especially as we slog through the swords, those of us going sequential.  Maybe I'll interview each of you to discover your motivating factors...

Of course, the big prize at the end of the journey will be the book only you could have written.  I think we should all plan to print them out and bind them.

FindYourSovereignty
27 minutes ago, Gardener said:

Wow Gregory, nice work persuading Katrinka to join our gang of merry travelers!

WildPlace, whenever you wish to do Mary Greer's step 20 - Comparison to other decks - you will have to compare to Wild Unknown or any other deck with "wild" in the name, just to keep with your theme...

In response to the One Tough Cookie problem, I'm going to put out a prize - anyone who completes their 78 week study will receive a mystery tarot deck of my choice as a prize.  To be clear, this is not a pre-existing tarot deck known as the Mystery Tarot - for all I know, such a thing already exists.  No, this will be a secret, you won't know what deck you're getting until it's in your hot little hands.

I have been thinking of ways to keep our sprits up, especially as we slog through the swords, those of us going sequential.  Maybe I'll interview each of you to discover your motivating factors...

Of course, the big prize at the end of the journey will be the book only you could have written.  I think we should all plan to print them out and bind them.

❤️ 

9 hours ago, gregory said:

That was how I did it when it was running on AT. It did help me to focus, too. No danger of going for my favourite cards first and getting all he ones I can't relate to as easily at the end.

Yes, I too like the discipline a little structure can bring. It would also allow for more 'real time' comparative study and discussion amongst the group, which would be very interesting. 78 weeks is quite a commitment so it would be nice to extract as much out of it as possible. Doing it twice - gaaah!!! What decks did you study Gregory? 

6 hours ago, Gardener said:

Hello Grace, we are delighted to have you join the adventure!  I am very interested to follow your study of the Hermetic deck because I understand a little about Kabbalah but not much and this will be eye-opening.  Third-eye opening?

Oh yes, by the end of the 78 weeks we will be woke AF. 🤣 I've finished the more 'broad' reading on the tree of life and Qabalah history and myth in Robert Wang's book, so I'm raring to go!

If asked - I will probably always want an extra week, and then we'll never get started! But I guess, one more week for planning and potentially recruiting any last slow pokes might be good too. I'm OK with either. 

I will have a good think about this before Sunday. I guess a good way to decide is to think about what kind of understanding I most want to get out of the 78 weeks, and incorporate that into the questions. Though I might pinch a question or two from the list you provided earlier from Mary Greer. Decisions, decisions....

On 8/25/2020 at 11:09 AM, FindYourSovereignty said:

I am interested in participating in this, however, I do have a question about the need to skip a week or two. I am participating in a Vipassana 10-day meditation and will not have access to any outside electronics, books, etc. from September 9-20. I don't want to cause a blip in the process especially right at the beginning, but with my tarot studies, I like the idea of adding a focus on one specific deck for the year. 

By the way.... jealous! 

Thanks! 

The Big Book Of Mistakes I Made While Learning A Different Tarot System, lol.

Actually, that could be kind of useful, in a "this is where I went off the rails" kind of way. 🤣

8 hours ago, Grace said:

Yes, I too like the discipline a little structure can bring. It would also allow for more 'real time' comparative study and discussion amongst the group, which would be very interesting. 78 weeks is quite a commitment so it would be nice to extract as much out of it as possible. Doing it twice - gaaah!!! What decks did you study Gregory? 

First time - Wang's Revelations. Second time (because I wanted to "get it") - THOTH !!!! (I know a lot more than I did before, but loads still escapes me...)

11 hours ago, Gardener said:

Thanks for the welcome.

🤣 Well I have the Wild Unknown which I love, so that won't be a problem - i'm just a sucker for anything Wild really 🙂 

Ooooh I'm glad we are a fair group now, I hope that that'll keep me going! 

I'll be AFK this weekend, but I'll be back soon, happy to start on 30th, I'll catch up in no time! Whilst away I will have time to ponder!

whoever mentioned turning into a book - it'll kinda turn into that! If I keep up I mean! My plan is to type it notions or scrivener, probably notions cause I can use it on phone as well, to have it all together, and then copy and paste it into here. 

20 hours ago, Gardener said:

As mentioned, I am going to draw on Mary Greer's 21 Ways.  My personal trio is going to be:

I like your plan of having a definite set and then add other ways in as time allows. I might copy that 🙂 

Oh how exciting! Thank you @Gardener for getting this started and thanks to everybody else for joining the party!!!!

FindYourSovereignty

@gregory and others that have done this activity in the past. I was thinking of using a deck that didn't have a detailed guidebook, but was at least in some fashion, RWS based. Reading your examples from the individual card threads, it looked like there was a fair reference to what the book said about the card included in the activity. From your experience, is it beneficial to use a deck with a decent guidebook? What are your thoughts?

Thank you!

FindYourSovereignty
On 8/26/2020 at 8:52 PM, Grace said:

By the way.... jealous! 

😊 I’ve not done anything like this before. Timing for me couldn’t be better for dedicated meditation. Have you ever attended one? Not to redirect this thread, we could pm.

Edited by FindYourSovereignty

FindYourSovereignty
12 hours ago, Rupicapra said:

Ooooh I'm glad we are a fair group now, I hope that that'll keep me going!

Me, too. 

On 8/26/2020 at 6:28 PM, Gardener said:

We will call our group Some Tough Cookies!

😊

7 hours ago, FindYourSovereignty said:

@gregory and others that have done this activity in the past. I was thinking of using a deck that didn't have a detailed guidebook, but was at least in some fashion, RWS based. Reading your examples from the individual card threads, it looked like there was a fair reference to what the book said about the card included in the activity. From your experience, is it beneficial to use a deck with a decent guidebook? What are your thoughts?

Thank you!

WELL - with the Revelation I thought first and read afterwards. The Thoth was a special case - there I would absolutely use every book I could find. But even so - IIRC  it was first impressions FIRST. I wanted to learn, more than anything, so I used anything I could get my hands on. Indeed, the result was that I created my own deck to learn some more.

For those with a more solid background already, maybe that wouldn't appeal as much. Annoyingly I;d have to say - depends on you and what you want to get out of this. Now - as people are suggesting using Greer's book - depending which exercises you pick would determine whether you wanted books or not.

Horses for courses, I'm afraid. If you read other threads in the AT ones, you'll see a huge variety of approaches. (Look at the early cards. Responses fall way off as time goes on !)