Any Interest in Starting a New 78 Week Study?

Gardener

Good morning crew!

If you go to the Index thread pinned to the top of this subform, you'll see all the cards started for the 2017-2019 group.  As Gregory says, responses fall off, but if you check most of the majors, you'll see up to 7 different approaches to studying the cards.

I completely agree with Gregory about making it YOUR study.  If you were going to spend a week with a card, how would you like to spend it.  It's like going on 78 dates with 78 different people.  And remember, you are building your book.  If you look at Mary Greer's 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card, only one of the 21 ways is the book meaning.  It's also depends on the deck, and how you feel about the deck.  With some decks, I want to know the creator's philosophy.  With others, I'm happy to keep my focus on the images.

Now some thoughts on stamina.  I think we can probably most of us make it through the Majors. (For those of us going sequentially.)  That's about half a year.  That's a pretty huge commitment in itself and for some people, that might even feel like enough.  Personally, I've spent so much time with the Major Arcana already that I'm really looking forward to the pips.  I'm also looking forward to the Courts, because when I was last doing tarot 15 years ago, people still tended, in the main, to associate women with Pages and Queens, men with Knights and Kings.  And now it seems that has really opened up, and I'm eager to explore full gender ranges in the Courts.

So here's my suggestion.  You'll notice I have very few rules but lots of suggestions!  Take that first chunk, that first six months, and take some time to visualize what you want to get out of it.  Whether it's the Major Arcana, or just a strong start on the random draw, what would six months of study look like for you?  I read about a study that showed if you could visualize yourself doing the activity, you were more likely to do the activity.  So visualize yourself spending 1-2 hours a week with a single card.  Will it be the same time every week?  Is there a special place you will sit?  Are you going to hand-write or use the computer?  Will you be sketching as well?  Try to get really detailed.

One other thought I gleaned from looking through past studies is that some people clearly spent HOUR AND HOURS on the first 3-4 cards.  Then they ran out of steam.  I recommend manageable goals.  Everyone works differently, of course, but if you write 6 pages for the Fool, you might feel compelled to write 6 pages for the Magician, and the High Priestess, and by the time you get to the Empress you will be all tuckered out.  Keep it fun!

Anyone who wants to chime in here with their plans for what areas they'll explore in the first week, I'd love to hear your ideas!

Hi @Gardener! Firstly thank you so much for putting this together, I can imagine it takes quite a bit of work and planning. 

You make some very good points about stamina, which I have been a little worried about - but they now don't seem so scary since you verbalized them for me. I can see myself chilling on Sunday nights with a pot of tea in front of my laptop, armed with my tarot deck and Qabalah book, clearing my mind with a short meditation before jotting down some rudementary thoughts and diving in! 

While I think I could easily write 2000 words plus per card, and the Hermetic will surely give me more than enough to work with - I'm not sure I want to write an essay every week right now. That being said, I've been thinking about the areas I would like to explore, and am curious to see how deep I can go - a dangerous itch I know too well. So I'm going to set a word count. Not sure what that will be just yet, but the first week should be a good experiment in uncovering a suitable limit. I don't think anyone here has the time for 'War and Peace' either!

Grace, you have a gift for words.  Our group is now the "Some Tough Cookies" and our tagline is "We're not writing War and Peace"!

I don't think many people could write an essay a week for 78 weeks.  That's just daunting.  I think as we all do our first 2-3 cards, we might be thinking about what makes for a good weekly effort.  For me, one page would feel good.  2000 words is way more than I could manage after week 3!  

I like your idea of starting with a meditation.  Some of Mary Greer's ideas involve imagining yourself in the card.  Up until you wrote this last post, I had been focusing on what I would WRITE each week.  But maybe the meditative experience is the real prize...

On 8/26/2020 at 12:39 PM, Gardener said:

Gardener - Patchwork Tarot

Surreal - deviant moon, the mary el or possibly the golden tarot

Rupicapra - Morgan Greer

Contrascarpe - I've heard rumors of the Artist's Inner Vision, unreliable rumors

FindYourSovereignty - considering Wild Unknown, but how seriously?

peacewing

Grace - Hermetic

WildPlace - Wildwood

Katrinka

I'll be working through the Thomson Leng. It's a different system than what I'm used to, so I'd like to put some long term effort into it. 

This Sunday works for me. One caveat, I work alternate weekends. So when I have a work weekend, I probably won't get to post until the following Monday or Tuesday.

🤣 Definitely not writing War and Peace! 

My thoughts on the explorations are still a little muddled, and I'm not sure if I will keep astrological aspects separate or incorporated into the symbology study. I might change my mind before the first card, but here is what I'm thinking so far:

1) Significant symbology and meaning

2) Astrological aspects 

3) Exploring the Tree of Life position 

4) Overall meaning/LWB discussion

I've already got the Fool done and saved on a PDF page. Mine is more distillation, not expansion! So it will be different.
Basically, it's the card description, impressions, LWB meaning, synthesis/core meaning, and the old catch-all, "notes", which in this case is how near-lying cards might apply in a reading.
That was fun, and not difficult at all. 😁

But a quick look through the deck tells me that some cards will be tougher.

Challenge accepted.

00challenge.gif.04cfd7e2668e53def5f63f6b78782a52.gif

Edited by katrinka

Hello Some Tough Cookies,

It's Saturday night here in the States, and tomorrow we BEGIN!  I see Katrinka wins a prize for being the first one to start, yay Katrinka!

I hope everyone has been mulling over their decks, maybe narrowing it down to three, asking the cards which one would like to play, second-guessing and generally being a tarot nerd.

Tomorrow I will start a thread for us to share our experience of the study, and we can start talking about ways to stay motivated after week 3...

Looking forward to this journey with you, tarot friends!

FindYourSovereignty
16 hours ago, Gardener said:

Hello Some Tough Cookies,

It's Saturday night here in the States, and tomorrow we BEGIN!  I see Katrinka wins a prize for being the first one to start, yay Katrinka!

I hope everyone has been mulling over their decks, maybe narrowing it down to three, asking the cards which one would like to play, second-guessing and generally being a tarot nerd.

Tomorrow I will start a thread for us to share our experience of the study, and we can start talking about ways to stay motivated after week 3...

Looking forward to this journey with you, tarot friends!

Thank you for keeping us focused. I have 3 decks that have been speaking to me about this and a 4th that arrives on Tuesday. It is the Beneath the Moon deck. Now that I can see the value of both ways: guidebook or no guidebook (thank you, @gregory), I am still feeling a bit uncertain. 

These are all the decks calling to me:

Gorgon (guidebook)

Beneath the Moon (guidebook)

Circle of Life (no guidebook)

Mona Lisa (no guidebook)

I want the decks to decide, however, I don’t have one of them yet, and I do have grandchildren here for the weekend and I am not able to give this the attention it requires. Will share which one I pick soon.

Any thoughts about these decks that may help me decide? 😊😁

And I know this is all up to me and the cards will let me know, but I do like hearing the thoughts and opinions of others. It helps me process what is true for me. 

Edited by FindYourSovereignty

We’ll Gardener and I dusted off some of our old bins with tarot cards, but sadly there are still dozens unaccounted for. I’ve decided to use the Phantasmagorical Tarot. I got it almost 20 years ago and found it a quirky little deck, but now I could see it would fit nicely with my reading style. I’m looking forward to gaining some insight.

FindYourSovereignty
8 hours ago, Gardener said:

Hi FindYourSovereignty,

I've never heard of this deck, Beneath the Moon.  Is it a new one, or just new to you?  How exciting!  I hope you'll post pictures.

Hi Gardener,

It is a new deck by Yoshi Yoshitani. Someone shared it here on the forum last May and it should be here tomorrow. It is about folklore and fairytales. Not necessarily a different technique deck, but one I think I will learn a lot from dedicating to this activity.  

Edited by FindYourSovereignty