Jump to content

78 Week Study 2020-2022 - Instructions


Gardener
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello my friends,

 

This is the thread where we can all post suggestions for each other on how to approach this 78 week study.

 

The only rules are the general Forum rules.

 

All are welcome.  Feel free to join at any time, and if you need to take a break, feel welcome to break, and return when and as you are able.

 

Choose your own deck.  One card a week for 78 weeks.  The index thread is pinned to the top of this subforum.  Please note that the individual card threads were created for the 2017-2019 study, and so they include a link to the earlier study's instruction thread.  Please ignore that link.

 

Take some time at the beginning of the study to visualize your weekly practice.  

 

Choose to go sequentially from the Fool to the King of Pentacles, or by random draw.  If you are dropping in midstream, you might want to consider random draw.

 

This is your study.  You get to choose how you will relate to your card each week.

 

Please encourage each other.  I need encouragement, and I'm sure others do too.  Nothing wrong with praising the brilliance of your fellow travelers!

 

Gardener

Edited by Gardener
Link to comment
Share on other sites

And now for some personal suggestions from yours truly:

 

The following is a summary of Mary Greer’s Twenty One Ways to Read a Tarot Card.

 

For anyone who doesn't have the book but finds a particular step intriguing, I will be happy to describe the step in some detail, just ask.

 

Also, dadsnook on the AT forum ran a very successful study group that went through all 21 steps at the apprentice level, and then all 21 at the adept level, and I've been reading those threads to inspire my own plans for weekly study.

 

Step 0:  I open myself to all possibilities.

Step 1:  The name of the card is:

Step 2:  A literal description of the card

Step 3:  Emotions / feelings / attitudes of the figures, and mood / atmosphere of the environment

Step 4:  “Once upon a time…”

Step 5:  The number (0-21, 1-10) or rank (P, Kn, Q, K) is about:

Step 6:  The suit / element / mode is about:

Step 7:  Synthesize Step 5 and Step 6, and smooth them out

Step 8:  Name some metaphors

Step 9:  Ask open ended questions - how, what, when

What kind of person are they

How did they get here

What do they want

Where are they going

Your responses, and snapshots that arise in your memory

Step 10:  Book meanings

Step 11:  A range of meanings from benefits to liabilities

Where I am now

Where I want to be

How do I get there

Step 12:  Modification based on position in a spread - draw 2 additional cards, after assigning the positions of a 3 card spread

Step 13:  Symbols - list the symbols on your card, and their meaning

Step 14:  Dignities - affinities and antipathies - draw 2 additional cards

Step 15:  Have a conversation with the figure in the card, maybe even the objects too

Step 16:  Sketch the card

Step 17:  Embody the card - position yourself in the position of the figure and imagine taking on that card’s attributes physically.  If action is implied, take the action

Step 18:  Guided visualization - a meditiative extension of the imaginative journeys of

Step 4, Step 9, Step 15, Step 17

Step 19:  Find a myth, fairy tale, movie or song that fits the card.  Play out the story, exploring alternative endings.

Step 20:  Deck comparison - find your card in 3 additional decks

Note similarities and differences

Note new meanings available, or apply other steps to the 3 new cards

See if you want to update your keywords/phrases for your card

Step 21:  The Possible Self - Create an affirmation from the card.  If the card is traditionally a difficult card, change “bitter truth” to “fruitful opportunity”

 

 

You could pick three to do every week, or a different one each week, or whatever suits your fancy.  There is always a new way to approach the Tarot!

 

Edited by Gardener
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been following the 78 week threads and thought the Greer book Twenty One Ways to Read Tarot sounded interesting and your suggestions to pick some of the steps each week was good too, as i'm pretty much a beginner I bought myself a copy of the book which arrived today. I had started studying The Fool (The Wanderer in my chosen deck) for this week and have been spending some time each day making notes, i'll upload in The Fool thread nearer the end of the week 🙂 I have to say i've already found it to be a valuable exercise spending some time each day with the card and I have it propped up on my desk where I can see it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi @WildPlace, I'm glad you like the book.  I've only read the Way of the Apprentice so far.  I am sort of imagining as we get into the winter I might be inclined to delve into the Way of the Adept.  But there is so much to study just in these initial steps.  I have been studying step 12, where you interpret "your" card as part of a three card spread.  That's going to be fun.

 

But first, I wanted to say that the image of your Wanderer card keeping you company at your desk is very appealing.  I am going to put my Fool on my desk today, and spend a little time with them over the next few days.  I haven't written any notes at all yet - I am going to be busy Saturday I think!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just finished the Magician and have him ready to copypaste on Sunday, as I have to work next weekend and won't have time to do it then.
I'm enjoying this and definitely getting good insights into my chosen deck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good job Katrinka. I've also started early as I'm going to be time poor on the weekend. But really enjoying the journey so far, and getting a lot out of it! I have a feeling 78 weeks will fly by. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Grace and @katrinka, it's wonderful to see your enthusiasm!  I am also enthusiastic, but less focused.  You guys are admirable!  I agree that there are going to be weeks we need to do our card early (or late) because the weekends are just too busy.  There is no need to be strict about the deadlines, unless being strict about deadlines is what keeps you motivated!  

 

I'm enjoying the discussion of the Fool so far!  In fact, I feel motivated to go post my thoughts in the appropriate thread....

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello fellow students,

 

Over in the Fool thread, those of us who are non-linear started talking about our worries that we are going to have a hard time traveling in a straight line from the beginning of the deck to the end of the deck.  Either Flaxen or FindYourSovereignty said that they learn in spirals.  I know that in terms of watercolor painting, I definitely learn in spirals.  I haven't really thought about whether that applies to Tarot.  What would it mean to learn Tarot in spirals?  Do we look at a series of cards, then come back to an earlier card?  Do we get to jump ahead sometimes?  As you know, I experimented with the idea of random draw, but Gregory pointed out that we all benefit from exploring the same card in a single week.  I've really enjoyed seeing everyone's different Fools, and different approaches to exploring the Fool.  I don't want to give that up, so I'm going to do the Magician this coming week and I look forward to seeing the other Magicians.

 

But what could we do to mix it up a bit?  I'm open to ideas.  Here is one suggestion.  In Step 12, Mary Greer asks us to look at our assigned card in relation to two other cards, in a 3-card reading where each card has an assigned position.  Maybe we could do a "group" version of Step 12, where one person contributes Card 2, one person contributes Card 3, and a third person assigns the three positions.  Then we could all do Step 12 with our own decks.  Does anyone like that idea?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Gardener said:

I agree that there are going to be weeks we need to do our card early (or late) because the weekends are just too busy.  There is no need to be strict about the deadlines, unless being strict about deadlines is what keeps you motivated!  

It does. I tend to be either very driven, or extremely lazy. If I'm not strict with myself, the work piles up until it's an insurmountable mountain of NOPE. 😁

3 hours ago, Gardener said:

Over in the Fool thread, those of us who are non-linear started talking about our worries that we are going to have a hard time traveling in a straight line from the beginning of the deck to the end of the deck.  Either Flaxen or FindYourSovereignty said that they learn in spirals.  I know that in terms of watercolor painting, I definitely learn in spirals.  I haven't really thought about whether that applies to Tarot.  What would it mean to learn Tarot in spirals?  

I think of that as circling back to something you studied already, but different this time due to having more experience and/or a different perspective.
It's like when you're in grade school and they have you read that Robert Frost poem:
"...The woods are lovely, dark and deep,   

But I have promises to keep,   
And miles to go before I sleep..."
And then you forget about it for ten or twenty years, but you eventually see it again and realize it's about death, he's saying he's tempted by it but he has things to do before he goes.
Same poem, wider perspective. 😉 And you review the whole poem, seeing how it all fits. That's my take on spiral learning, anyway. It will be interesting to come back to these in five years or so.
3 hours ago, Gardener said:

Do we look at a series of cards, then come back to an earlier card?  Do we get to jump ahead sometimes?  As you know, I experimented with the idea of random draw, but Gregory pointed out that we all benefit from exploring the same card in a single week.  I've really enjoyed seeing everyone's different Fools, and different approaches to exploring the Fool.  I don't want to give that up, so I'm going to do the Magician this coming week and I look forward to seeing the other Magicians.

Yes, when it's orderly like this it will be easier to find things in the future, too. You don't get that with random cards and just a date in the thread title!

3 hours ago, Gardener said:

But what could we do to mix it up a bit?  I'm open to ideas.  Here is one suggestion.  In Step 12, Mary Greer asks us to look at our assigned card in relation to two other cards, in a 3-card reading where each card has an assigned position.  Maybe we could do a "group" version of Step 12, where one person contributes Card 2, one person contributes Card 3, and a third person assigns the three positions.  Then we could all do Step 12 with our own decks.  Does anyone like that idea?

As a side discussion, it could be fun. But I don't want to change what I'm doing in the primary threads, it works too well for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oooo.... Mixing it up a little is interesting. My first thought was NO! I'll loose track! But I understand the need some people will have for more fluidity in the learning/study process. I used to be the same way, somehow over the years I beat it out of myself. 😂 These days I lean on a more disciplined approach, orderly fashion, rigid deadlines etc. to keep me going, and have found a real beauty in that kind of structure. I've found the the IDEA of a long term goal, is sometimes more daunting than the thing itself. And at the risk of sounding masochistic, there is a real sense of satisfaction that comes through pushing through the uncomfortable or sometimes painful process of looking at something you don't feel ready for in that moment. Some great insights happen in those times! 

But there may be a way we can explore a not so linear study of the cards without it getting too messy, and I'm open to being flexible for the good of the group - the more of us that continue on the journey together will just make the experience richer. I'm loving the discussions already, and it is only the first week!

Perhaps as we go into The Magician (number 1), it might be a good time to move into some of the pips the weeks after that? So the study is still following a pattern, but not so neat and orderly? As an example only...

Week 1 The Fool
Week 2 The Magician (Number 1)
Week 3 Ace of Wands
Week 4 Ace of Cups
Week 5 The High Priestess (Number 2)
Week 6 2 of Wands
Week 7 2 of Cups

.... I only placed 2 Minor cards after each Major, to avoid Pip fatigue (chose two suits only to keep it neat). Then when we get up to Justice (Number 11), we can start the process again with the suits we left out. We keep going till the pips are gone and finish off the rest of the Majors in line. Eg.

Week 32 Justice (Number 11)
Week 33 Ace of Pents
Week 34 Ace of Swords
Week 35 The Hanged Man (Number 12)
Week 36 2 of Pents
Week 37 2 of Swords

Perhaps something like this might help that requirement for a more spiral type system. Thoughts? 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A secondary thought... and a bit of a pep talk for all you impulsive cardinal-esque energy people!

First things first.... leave the memories of all those things that you started and never got finished behind you. It will only serve to make these 78 weeks difficult. Only positive self talk! 

Only think about what is directly in front of you. How do you devour a whale? One bite at a time. 

Sometimes the hardest part is actually making a decision. Find a way to be OK with the fact that by choosing one thing, you will have to let another thing go (an approach, an idea, a deck). I know. Painful. This anxiety is often rooted in perfectionism. My new dirty, dirty word. Find a way to accept that even though you want to get the most out of this time commitment, that you will NEVER be done. Your learning will not stop there. So if you get even 70% out of this process that you intended to - that is phenomenal. 

When the proverbial hits the fan, don't worry about missing ONE part of a question or area you were planning to explore. If you get to one week where you can't bring yourself to complete for whatever reason, don't use it as an excuse to not continue. It's like falling off the wagon with a diet. Just because you ate the cake once, doesn't mean you have to do it again the next day. The only person who is judging you for this failure is you.

Now I hesitate to suggest this (on the off chance that it incites laziness), perhaps we could build in a "Catch Up Week". Perhaps one half way through, and one right at the end - to take the pressure off missing one week. This might have been suggested earlier, or else I dreamt it.

I would LOVE to organise a Zoom session at the end of the 78 weeks and have a celebratory WE MADE IT TO THE END! Virtual party. 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Grace said:

Week 32 Justice (Number 11)
Week 33 Ace of Pents
Week 34 Ace of Swords
Week 35 The Hanged Man (Number 12)
Week 36 2 of Pents
Week 37 2 of Swords

Perhaps something like this might help that requirement for a more spiral type system. Thoughts?

I like that! I think it will really drive home the numerological angles.

One caveat, though. The deck I'm working through (Thomson Leng) has Justice at 8 (as does the Thoth and the TdM, to name a couple of others.) So some of us will be doing Justice at 8 and Strength at 11.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes -  I guess to make it fair for everyone and not interrupt anyone's flow of study - for those two weeks (regarding Justice and Strength) we take note of both threads and continue on as usual? There will be some interesting discussion those two weeks I'm sure!

If we get a quorum on the weekly plan, I can put together a little spread sheet with dates so we don't get lost - and note those little discrepancies. Maybe we can build in the "Catch Up Week" around Christmas/New Year. I'll wait to see what everyone thinks first. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FindYourSovereignty
57 minutes ago, Grace said:

A secondary thought... and a bit of a pep talk for all you impulsive cardinal-esque energy people!

First things first.... leave the memories of all those things that you started and never got finished behind you. It will only serve to make these 78 weeks difficult. Only positive self talk! 

Only think about what is directly in front of you. How do you devour a whale? One bite at a time. 

Sometimes the hardest part is actually making a decision. Find a way to be OK with the fact that by choosing one thing, you will have to let another thing go (an approach, an idea, a deck). I know. Painful. This anxiety is often rooted in perfectionism. My new dirty, dirty word. Find a way to accept that even though you want to get the most out of this time commitment, that you will NEVER be done. Your learning will not stop there. So if you get even 70% out of this process that you intended to - that is phenomenal. 

When the proverbial hits the fan, don't worry about missing ONE part of a question or area you were planning to explore. If you get to one week where you can't bring yourself to complete for whatever reason, don't use it as an excuse to not continue. It's like falling off the wagon with a diet. Just because you ate the cake once, doesn't mean you have to do it again the next day. The only person who is judging you for this failure is you.

Now I hesitate to suggest this (on the off chance that it incites laziness), perhaps we could build in a "Catch Up Week". Perhaps one half way through, and one right at the end - to take the pressure off missing one week. This might have been suggested earlier, or else I dreamt it.

I would LOVE to organise a Zoom session at the end of the 78 weeks and have a celebratory WE MADE IT TO THE END! Virtual party. 😂

 

Yes, I totally agree with this and I know that I am always learning and I love it! It is what distracts me from finishing some things. All great advice, suggestions and incentives.

 

I'd join a Zoom call to celebrate.

2 hours ago, Grace said:

Oooo.... Mixing it up a little is interesting. My first thought was NO! I'll loose track! But I understand the need some people will have for more fluidity in the learning/study process. I used to be the same way, somehow over the years I beat it out of myself. 😂 These days I lean on a more disciplined approach, orderly fashion, rigid deadlines etc. to keep me going, and have found a real beauty in that kind of structure. I've found the the IDEA of a long term goal, is sometimes more daunting than the thing itself. And at the risk of sounding masochistic, there is a real sense of satisfaction that comes through pushing through the uncomfortable or sometimes painful process of looking at something you don't feel ready for in that moment. Some great insights happen in those times! 

But there may be a way we can explore a not so linear study of the cards without it getting too messy, and I'm open to being flexible for the good of the group - the more of us that continue on the journey together will just make the experience richer. I'm loving the discussions already, and it is only the first week!

Perhaps as we go into The Magician (number 1), it might be a good time to move into some of the pips the weeks after that? So the study is still following a pattern, but not so neat and orderly? As an example only...

Week 1 The Fool
Week 2 The Magician (Number 1)
Week 3 Ace of Wands
Week 4 Ace of Cups
Week 5 The High Priestess (Number 2)
Week 6 2 of Wands
Week 7 2 of Cups

.... I only placed 2 Minor cards after each Major, to avoid Pip fatigue (chose two suits only to keep it neat). Then when we get up to Justice (Number 11), we can start the process again with the suits we left out. We keep going till the pips are gone and finish off the rest of the Majors in line. Eg.

Week 32 Justice (Number 11)
Week 33 Ace of Pents
Week 34 Ace of Swords
Week 35 The Hanged Man (Number 12)
Week 36 2 of Pents
Week 37 2 of Swords

Perhaps something like this might help that requirement for a more spiral type system. Thoughts? 
 

 

I like mixing it up like this. Great idea!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Grace said:

Yes -  I guess to make it fair for everyone and not interrupt anyone's flow of study - for those two weeks (regarding Justice and Strength) we take note of both threads and continue on as usual? There will be some interesting discussion those two weeks I'm sure!

Separate threads are the way to go. 😊
It keeps everything organized. And if anyone is heavily invested in one set of numbering/correspondences, they're in a place where people are doing it the same way.
(I've actually seen conflicts over that. It's kind of silly, but it happens.)

49 minutes ago, Grace said:

If we get a quorum on the weekly plan, I can put together a little spread sheet with dates so we don't get lost - and note those little discrepancies. Maybe we can build in the "Catch Up Week" around Christmas/New Year. I'll wait to see what everyone thinks first. 

That sounds awesome - thanks! And yes - the holiday season is when people tend to get sidetracked.

Re: Zoom - that sounds fun! Cards and cocktails! I've never done Zoom but I had a look at the site, and there's a free trial option. Does it work better than Skype? I always had issues with Skype, even when I lived in another town where I had high speed internet. Skype is just impossible where I live now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't have much experience with Zoom personally, but my husband uses it everyday for work and he seems to think it is superior to a lot of the other platforms out there. The good thing is there is a free option, and allows large group calls. But I'm not picky about the platform itself - if there is something better out there I'm all ears! We have quite a bit of time before we need to worry about it, but it will be another fun incentive to keep us going! We'll probably get to know each other quite a bit after 78 weeks, so it will be nice putting faces to names!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am happy working along a suggested order and have no preference as to what that order is, I just find it much easier to work with a plan. Little old brain of mine works better that way 🙂 

 

Virtual Milestone Get-togethers sounds like a fab idea!  

 

Is there maybe something we can set up like a ping-list? Just like a quick short weekly reminder message to all those who are taking part? Would that help people to stay motivated and on track? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello Tough Cookies,

 

The great thing about all these different time zones is waking up to see all this wonderful new activity.

 

I vote we adopt ALL of Grace's wonderful suggestions:

 

1) a "rearranged" order to give us spiral folks some way to make it through 78 weeks

2) a list of the dates with each thread - very helpful

3) a catch-up week around Christmas/New Year

4) a Zoom call!  Virtual Milestone Get-togethers!

 

I love all these ideas so much.  What fun!

 

For the Zoom call, I suggest we gather for Tea and Tarot once we finish TEN cards.  What do you all think?  I would really look forward to that.

 

In my experience with people in many different time zones, 9 pm Greenwich Mean is the best to accommodate everyone.  It's possible I'm wrong, but if everyone could figure out whether that works for their time zone, that would be great.  I'd totally love to meet you all!  And we can show off our decks - I love seeing other people's decks.  But we have plenty of time to figure that out.  I would be willing to set up the Zoom invitation - I have an account.

 

PS I agree with what Grace and Katrinka worked out for Strength and Justice, two threads at the appropriate times.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Gardener said:

For the Zoom call, I suggest we gather for Tea and Tarot once we finish TEN cards.  What do you all think?  I would really look forward to that.

Hmm, the Basic plan is free. So OK. https://zoom.us/pricing

4 hours ago, Gardener said:

In my experience with people in many different time zones, 9 pm Greenwich Mean is the best to accommodate everyone.  It's possible I'm wrong, but if everyone could figure out whether that works for their time zone, that would be great. 

I'm on CDT (GMT -5) so the time works for me.

The only possible issue is if it's a work day.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Excellent!!! *Doing a little happy dance* I'll put together the spreadsheet this week so we are all on the same page before we start on the Pips.

 

I'm sure 9pm GMT will be fine. I'm ok with an early morning or late night every now and then. I'll schedule it in for a weekend, that will hopefully help out the majority of people. Gardener, thank you for your offer - that would be awesome if you could do the invitations. I have no clue - let us know what you need in order to set it up. 

 

Rupicapra, I have no idea what or how to set up a ping list! Is it like email? Another option would be to set a reminder in your phone. I have them for all kinds of things - like my weekly reading reminder alarm I have with another member here... which just went off 😂

Link to comment
Share on other sites

FindYourSovereignty
20 hours ago, Rupicapra said:

I am happy working along a suggested order and have no preference as to what that order is, I just find it much easier to work with a plan. Little old brain of mine works better that way 🙂 

 

Virtual Milestone Get-togethers sounds like a fab idea!  

 

Is there maybe something we can set up like a ping-list? Just like a quick short weekly reminder message to all those who are taking part? Would that help people to stay motivated and on track? 

 

Ping list is a neat idea.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

RE: Catch Up Weeks.

We will be together in this for a while. Till early 2022 to be exact-ish!
We have established that scheduling a couple "Catch-Up Weeks" will be helpful for those of us who have gotten behind, or missed a week. This will allow a little breathing room around those busy times of year, and will be scheduled around the usual 'Holiday' periods - such as Christmas/New Year. 

Obviously, the more "Catch-Up Weeks" we schedule, the further it pushes out our End Date. So a good balance will need to be met here.

Everyone will have different religious and cultural requirements, and while I'm not sure they can all be accommodated I wanted to be as inclusive as possible. At the very least - if the "Catch-Up Weeks" don't fall on the most relevant week for you - you can skip that week and make up for it on the week of the next scheduled "Catch-Up Week".

All that being said - I'm trying to space them out nicely. What are the major Holidays which everyone feels a "Catch-Up Week" would be necessary? 

My preliminary thoughts are:

  • Xmas/New Year 2020-2021 
  • Easter 2021 (early April)
  • 4th of July 2021 (I'm assuming there are a few Americans here so I plugged that one in as it fit well enough in terms of time spacing- I believe it is a major-ish holiday, but I could be wrong!)
  • Xmas/New Year 2021-2022

Is that enough/not enough/too many "Catch-Up Weeks"? Get rid of some? Add others?
Anyone have other significant date suggestions for the last half of 2021 (between July and December), or will we tough it out till New Year? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am new here (this is my 2nd post on the forum) but I’d like to jump in. 😊 I am in serious need of organized system to study the cards further and I can’t seem to be able to do it on my own. I hope I can keep up with you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Our Forum host is raising their prices, so every little bit helps!

 

Guests

Thank you for paying us a visit!

Please consider joining and the Google Ads will vanish.

 

Registered Members

The only ads you will see are those run by your fellow readers.

Please consider turning off AdBlock so their contribution isn't in vain!