78 Week Study 2020-2022 - Instructions

Gardener

6 hours ago, Gardener said:

I just want to give a huge hug of gratitude to Den-Mother Grace for taking the time to comment on EVERYONE'S posts.  Each time we start a new card, I say to myself that I will do that, and then the days just slip by.  But Grace is doing it.  Thanks, Grace!

Awww shucks. It's my pleasure. And @Rupicapra said it best. We wouldn't be here if it wasn't for you! Best idea EVER.

Lady Butterfly
16 hours ago, Gardener said:

Which deck will you be using?  If you are like me and have trouble deciding, you can write all about it in the deck choice thread.  Everyone else seems to have comfortably settled on just one deck for the 78 weeks.

Would it be alright with everyone if I worked with two decks?

My working deck is Tarot of Pagan Cats, it's a simple RWS clone with cats instead of people :heart: I would like to get better acquainted with it, but I do connect with it well.

The other deck I would like to work with is the Faery Wicca Tarot. I don't think it is based on any other system directly. I love the deck, but have not been able to connect with it in any meaningful way. I would love to get to know it better and work with it more!

Would it be ok if I worked with both, and possibly see if I can draw similarities and contrasts between it?

Hello @Lady Butterfly,

Yes, by all means PLEASE do two decks.  Currently, I am the only participant using two decks, and I'd love the company!  I hope as you go you will post pictures, because I'd love to see the Faery Wicca deck.

The main thing to remember is that this is YOUR study.  What do you want at the end of 78 weeks?  I have suggested elsewhere that one goal might be to have a book of meanings that you've created yourself. Or maybe you want the experience of digging deep with all the cards over an extended period of time. 

After a lot of confusion about how to make this MY study, I just recently settled on the idea of looking at two decks.  That seems like the right amount of information for me to work with.  Why don't you try it for 3-4 weeks and then you can decide if it's working for you?

Lady Butterfly

Great stuff @Gardener!

I will definitely post pictures as we go along.

Additionally, at some point I might need to make a stand-alone thread for extra cards, since the Faery Wicca has 5 additional cards which I am hoping to 'slip in' somewhere during catchup weeks etc. I hope no one minds that :bubble_bthumbsup:

Lady Butterfly
45 minutes ago, Gardener said:

Sounds great, Lady Butterfly.

Tell you what - when you create your extra card thread, I'll join you there with some of my Wild Unknown Archetype Cards.  Just to keep you company.

Excellent! I look forward to becoming better acquainted with these extra cards... at this point in time I don't read with them, I just leave them out.

Loving all of the chatter on The High Priestess thread! Can't wait to sit down, pull out my tea pot and do my card. Stupid work getting in the way... BUT, I have all Saturday to be hedonistic and do nothing but forest bathe and go Tarot crazy. 🤩 Oh yes, it will be glorious! 

Oof, I am so much behind! 😩 I’ve been really busy for a while and I haven’t had the chance to study my cards. I am hoping to get back on board soon.

Hey Kati, you are not alone!  Surreal, Contrascarpe and I are still working on our High Priestesses too.  I took pictures and wrote down the book meanings, but I haven't found my connection to the Priestess yet, so I'm hoping inspiration will strike before the Two of Wands is due.  Grace and others have said they understand if we run late sometimes.  How about if you and me make a pact that we will try to post our Priestesses by Friday at midnight?

17 hours ago, Gardener said:

How about if you and me make a pact that we will try to post our Priestesses by Friday at midnight?

Sounds good, let’s do that! 👍🏻 By the end of Friday there will be at least two more Priestesses posted. 😊

And I’m also glad that I’m not alone. Life gets too much on the way sometimes.

I just got my 2 of Rods (late) up, and 2 of Cups (a little early) up.
It was all kind of slap-dash and I foresee edits in the future. 👁️
In other news, my Eudes Picard deck arrived earlier this week. I've barely had time to look at it so far, but from what I've seen, it should add some interesting perspectives.

It's Week 8 - The Empress time! Only two weeks till the Zoom meeting and our first milestone!
10 cards doesn't sound like much in the context of 78, but it isn't nothing either! I'm actually pretty proud to have come this far.
College Football Touchdown GIF by DICK'S Sporting Goods

How is everyone going? Last week was a bit tough for me to focus on anything, but I managed to catch up. Hopefully I'll get my Empress up in the next couple of days and join Katrinka who put her post up early. It's tough managing the time to study when there are so many other things going on, and the inevitable curve balls that come our way. It's great to see so many of us still here, plugging away - and I know a couple are catching up in their own time which is fantastic too. 

Yes, it's been quite a ride so far! For myself, I found that the best way to keep up was to put the card up early - I work alternate weekends and it sucks up virtually all my time and energy. So some of mine will be posted early, others closer to the actual due date. 🌝

19 minutes ago, Ishtar73 said:

I'm a newbie to the forum and like the idea of this thread - is it ok to start part way through?  

Of course. Welcome aboard!

19 minutes ago, Ishtar73 said:

And how do I know which card you are up to?  Sorry if this information is listed elsewhere - I'm happy to be redirected - I'm not used to forums.

But I like the idea of a study group.

We're currently on the Empress. Next week will be the 3 of Wands.
@Grace came up with a genius schedule that spirals through the deck instead of plodding through all the Majors, then all the Wands, etc. It helps us avoid tedium and burnout, and keeps things interesting. I can't find the post right now, so I'm adding a link to this one.

You can do whatever works for you. Start with the Empress and do the prior cards when you feel like it and have time to spare, or go back and start at the beginning. We're not picky about any of that.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ao1ibvduL8LAU2UtMLLGeXW50mfbe8bH/view?usp=sharing

2 hours ago, katrinka said:

Yes, it's been quite a ride so far! For myself, I found that the best way to keep up was to put the card up early - I work alternate weekends and it sucks up virtually all my time and energy. So some of mine will be posted early, others closer to the actual due date. 🌝

I prefer the early bird strategy also, though it doesn't always work out that way it is easier to catch up when in the habit of posting early. It is nice to have it done and not have to stress to much later on. That way I can focus on reading everyone else's posts too - which I find so interesting and is half the fun for me. It seems to be working so far for the most part.

Welcome @Ishtar73 to the Tough Cookies! We have some others who have started a little 'late', so you are not on your own. Everyone seems to have their own plan for either catching up when they can, or continuing what they missed at a later date. We have built in a few 'catch up' weeks which I'm sure will help us all at some point. If you need a quick reference and misplace the pdf Katrina provided - it is added in the Card Index Thread of the 78 Weeks of Tarot section of the forum.  Basically, it is your study - so you choose how and what you would like to focus on. For instance, my study of the Hermetic Tarot Deck is more academic based on Golden Dawn teachings, symbology and the Qabalah. But there are some very creative ideas, for instance @Rupicapra writes up stories based on her view of the card in her deck, while @Gardener has been exploring the cards (where she has very ambitiously chosen more than one deck) from a more meditative and comparative angle.

We have our first Zoom meeting coming up in a couple weeks - I'm sure @Gardener will provide some details in the next week or so regarding that one. Very Exciting! 

Welcome Ishtar73 - what deck will you be using?  I hope you'll post pictures.  

Hi Rupicapra, I'm late too.  I'm going to do the 2 of Cups and Empress together this weekend.  You'd think it would be so easy to manage one card a week, but it's amazing how hard it is to take time for something special.  It's easy to find time to veg on the couch or watch a show, but meditate on the Tarot, that's hard!

Thanks, Grace, for swinging back into action.  We missed you.  There will definitely be a Zoom call on Week Ten - I've learned how to paste the link into everyone's PM boxes, so I won't need emails.  I can't wait to meet you all!