78 Week Study 2020-2022 - Instructions

Gardener

Hi @Kati

Welcome! Glad to have you join. You have found us just in time, it shouldn't be too hard to catch up. We have already started Week 1, The Fool on Sunday. Please add your submission when you are ready here... 

We will be starting on Week 2 - The Magician this Sunday, and will post the plan going forward sometime this week. 😊

Welcome Kati!  Your timing is perfect - we are just getting started.  It can be daunting to read everything that's been posted so far, so just to catch you up I'll put the highlights here - 

There are currently 11 of us, counting you, but I expect people will drop and add over time.

This is YOUR study.  You get do decide how to spend time with your card each week.  You can meditate, journal, analyze, anything you like.

You get to choose your own deck.  (Some of us find this easier than others)

The goal is to spend a week with each card, for 18 months, aka 78 weeks.

You can go in order, or choose a random card.  After about a week of discussion, some of us are going to follow a very creative alternate order proposed by Grace.  She'll be setting that up in the next few days.  But generally we've all agreed on the Fool for week 1 (ends today), and the Magician for week 2 (ends next Saturday). And don't worry about late or early posting.

You'll notice that the Fool thread is really long.  The first 10 posts are from 3 years ago, the last time this forum had a 78 week study.  The new group starts with post 11.  You don't have to read everything everyone has posted, although I will say I'm amazed at the range of insights I've seen already.  We have a great crew!

@Grace i'm loving all of your ideas - I had thought i'd do random choices as I just couldn't face going through perfectly in order, I don't know, I just think i'm not a very ordered kind of person 🤣 so great stuff, i'm looking forward to your spreadsheet.

Zoom also a great idea - I used it last year for an art course I was participating in and have used it many many times this year for social, meetings, and work training.

@Gardener thanks for organising this 78 week study, I really enjoyed week one 🙂 

Thanks for the summary @Gardener! 😊 And I think that the order Grace proposed will work the best for me too. I have tried going through the deck in order but I can’t go much further than Major arcana that way... 🤦‍♀️ 

I added my study of the Fool but for some reason I could not add the picture of the card. Maybe it’s because I have just joined the forum.

And this is great, by the way: I learned so much more about the card than I even thought possible in such a short time! ❤️ And I didn’t even spend one week with the card.

Hi All!

Please find our Tough Cookie 78 Week Schedule attached!
I have fit it over 2 pages, so it is easy to print if you are more of a hard copy person like me. 
If you would prefer the spreadsheet - let me know and I'll add it here also.

78 Week Study Schedule.pdf

A few notes -

• Four 'Catch Up Weeks' have been scattered throughout the 78 weeks. This technically extends our time to 82 weeks. 

• The Courts have been built in after every '5' sectors, in suit groups. I thought this was superior to the more 'scattered' option I played with for a few reasons. Firstly it allows a kind of nice progression where all the courts studied prior are still fresh in our minds as we move along, which would make for interesting insight and discussion. The characteristics of the Page, to Knight, to Queen, to King has enough variance to keep from too much fatigue, so most people should be able to do a four week block of Courts without too much angst. The completion of each Court group acts as a kind of milestone marker, for each quarter of the 78 weeks. 

• More information regarding the Zoom sessions will become available in the next few weeks. Gardener has offered to send the invitations, so we will take our cue from her in good time. 

If there are any major concerns please let them be known! 
I can't see any reason why we couldn't make changes along the way - but obviously the earlier we can commit to a plan together, the more clarity we'll have moving forward. 

I won't be able to make all of them, I have one of those crazy work schedules that alternates days each week so each shift gets the weekend off a couple of times a month, which is fair to everyone but makes planning difficult in some ways. But I'm looking forward to the ones I can attend.

Grace, I am so impressed by your PDF.  What a great schedule you've created for all of us!  I can't wait to follow this schedule!

I like the idea of a zoom call every 10 weeks.  We will see if other people want to participate in the zoom call.  I will send out PM requests for email addresses a little closer to time for our first zoom call.  Nobody should feel like they HAVE to join zoom - it's just for fun, for those who want to meet and show off their decks, or pets, or whatever...

Thank you again, Grace, for organizing us in such a creative way!

1 hour ago, Gardener said:

I will send out PM requests for email addresses a little closer to time for our first zoom call.

Why not just use the PM function here?
As soon as we get on the site, we can tell if we have a PM.
But an email is easy to miss - I know I've accidentally nuked a few when I was deleting the other stuff that lands there.

YAY! I hope everyone is mostly happy with it going forward. I'm happy to have been able to help out.

I'm rather fortunate to have some flexibility in my work, so I should be able to make most of the Zoom meetings - but I'm sure there will come a point where I might have to miss one. I second Gardener, it was meant as a cute little incentive. Definitely no pressure - but it will obviously be great to meet you all virtually at some point. The last Zoom Meeting will certainly feel special! 

I'm not a Zoom expert but as I understand it... the more standard procedure is when you set up an event the app sends out invitations via email addressees that you input. There is also an option where you can create an event, and copy the event link to be pasted wherever is appropriate. This allows the link to be pasted publicly if you wish. There is also the option to set up a password so the event isn't hijacked by unsavoury types. There may be other options too. I'm OK with whatever is easiest.

So exciting!!! 

Thanks for the pdf @Grace, that is fantastic!

We use zoom for work meetings, we get an email with a code for the meeting and a password. If whoever sets it up pms the codes to the members, that would be the way to go without using personal emails. You don't need to download zoom to use it, you can use it in your web browser, and if you are only a partisipant in a meeting you don't even need to set up and account - at least as far as I understand. It seems to be very non-intrusive.

@Grace, thanks for the invitation. I would really enjoy joining this group. I took some time and read back through the instructions and rules, took a look at the schedule and it looks like a really fun group. Right now I only own the Mythic Tarot, so I'll be working that deck here as well as in the deck study I'm already doing. I've already done some work, but a cut and paste feels like cheating and if like to use some of the 21 ways to read a card, so I'll probably be running two different studies side by side. I'll pop back in a little later as I'm time constrained right now. thanks again. 

Hi @6xscorpiowelcome to the party!  We have something like 10-11 people, and it's been really exciting to see all the different decks and read all the different ways people have of interacting with their cards.  For me the best part so far was that when I said how hard it was for me to take things in a linear pattern, other people jumped in and talked about spiral learning.  That was really inspiring.  I don't know exactly what spiral learning looks like, applied to tarot, but the schedule Grace made for us looks so fun, so appealing.  I am half-way done with my entry for the Magician, and so happy to be moving onto the Ace of Wands rather than the High Priestess.  It's stimulating.  We'll find new connections doing the cards in this funky order.

The other fabulous plan - maybe also suggested by Grace? - is that we might meet up for a Zoom call when we get to week 10.  I have until then to figure out Zoom...

Now regarding your enthusiasm for participating in two parallel studies....  I applaud your energy, but may I suggest you take a little time, maybe ask the cards for advice, consider whether there's some way not to double your effort.  I think an 18-month commitment is pretty big already, without asking yourself to do the same cards over again.  Just my thought.  It is of course your study to do how you choose!

Welcome!

@6xscorpio You are a gun! As Gardener mentioned prior, the study is completely personal so the approach is completely up to you. I wouldn't worry about 'cheating' for the weeks of work you have already done - I don't think anyone here would see it that way! It's quite a bit of work regardless! Ultimately it has to be interesting to you, and manageable. 

3 hours ago, 6xscorpio said:

I've already done some work, but a cut and paste feels like cheating and if like to use some of the 21 ways to read a card, so I'll probably be running two different studies side by side. 

Why not just put it all together? Copypasted quotes (citing sources, of course) along with your own commentary.

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I think I'm going to take your collective advice and migrate the work I've already done at least for the fool and magician cards. I plan to spend some time with the 21 ways to read a card (which I'm not using in my other study) a get a fresh look. But in an effort to not burn myself out I'll also reference my previous work (image description for example) to maximize time and save some energy for later. This is me jumping in with both feet, (the fool rears his head).

Whew! 78 weeks - this is going to be a good ride, and the effort makes the reward all that much sweeter. Not to mention all the good company along the way, you guys are an active bunch. I find the feedback you give each other inspiring. Already looking forward to getting to work, and since this is going to be a marathon, not a sprint, I'll not concern myself about "catching up" to you guys - just do my work and I'll get there. It's late today, so I'll pull out The Fool tomorrow and start some evaluation.

As a side note, I've yet to zoom, but I'll figure it out before the 10th week, i hope. Thanks again for welcoming me in and for the advice - i look forward to getting to know all of you better. 

Cheers 😁

When this is over, we're going to have some perfectly lovely PDFs.

I'd like to make mine available to people who are interested, either free or for a minimal price.
One thing worries me, though. Some years ago, Kapherus wrote a very useful PDF called A Playing Card Readers Notebook, and offered it free to anyone who wanted it. Kaph is a generous and awesome person.

But then copies started turning up with someone else's name on them. As it turns out, a certain know-nothing who wanted to look like an expert had uploaded it to his facebook group and claimed authorship. Don't ask me why - card expertise and $3.95 will get you a frappucino at Starbucks. But jerks gotta jerk.

I've had this kind if thing happen with some of the Kipper and Grand Jeu stuff on my blog, too. I'll join a facebook group, go to check out the files, and BAM. That's mine! Time for a DMCA. No good deed goes unpunished.

I'd like to make this so it can't be copypasted. I'd also like to have some kind of pale background image with the copyright that can't be gotten rid of. Any ideas?

50 minutes ago, Kati said:

I have done graphic design as work so if I have the time I can do it, katrinka.

Well hello, Kati! We will definitely be talking.
Of course we're just a few cards in, so it will be awhile...but do keep me in mind!

6 hours ago, katrinka said:

Well hello, Kati! We will definitely be talking.
Of course we're just a few cards in, so it will be awhile...but do keep me in mind!

I will. 😊 And don’t be shy to remind me of this when we get closer to the end.

21 hours ago, katrinka said:

When this is over, we're going to have some perfectly lovely PDFs.

I'd like to make mine available to people who are interested, either free or for a minimal price.
One thing worries me, though. Some years ago, Kapherus wrote a very useful PDF called A Playing Card Readers Notebook, and offered it free to anyone who wanted it. Kaph is a generous and awesome person.

But then copies started turning up with someone else's name on them. As it turns out, a certain know-nothing who wanted to look like an expert had uploaded it to his facebook group and claimed authorship. Don't ask me why - card expertise and $3.95 will get you a frappucino at Starbucks. But jerks gotta jerk.

I've had this kind if thing happen with some of the Kipper and Grand Jeu stuff on my blog, too. I'll join a facebook group, go to check out the files, and BAM. That's mine! Time for a DMCA. No good deed goes unpunished.

I'd like to make this so it can't be copypasted. I'd also like to have some kind of pale background image with the copyright that can't be gotten rid of. Any ideas?

That's a great idea!

The Thomson Leng isn't available currently outside the US, but this could change probably. The resources you'll offer will be perfect!

For Kapherus you're right (I followed some his courses for the Vera Sibilla) and I saw his personal involvement, indeed! He offered to us a PDF with combinations (traditional and from his experience) but unfortunately hadn't the time to complete everything so a few things missed for cards of the suit of Spades, but he promised to sent it to everyone later (someone even asked publicly, not me). I don't know what happened but I never received something. Hence I asked him (very politely) with messenger on Facebook if he had the time to complete this document but never aswered me... I interpreted this unpleasant experience positively though.

I am not anymore a member of any of the WDA groups on Facebook (for months) to say the truth, it's more for people who want to be certified as professional (at the golden medal level I guess), and otherwise people constantly shared their enthusiasm about Tony Puhle stuff, that tired me since I'm not a fan of her art.

19 minutes ago, Decan said:

That's a great idea!

The Thomson Leng isn't available currently outside the US, but this could change probably. The resources you'll offer will be perfect!

Thanks. You guys are getting them in these threads!

19 minutes ago, Decan said:

For Kapherus you're right (I followed some his courses for the Vera Sibilla) and I saw his personal involvement, indeed! He offered to us a PDF with combinations (traditional and from his experience) but unfortunately hadn't the time to complete everything so a few things missed for cards of the suit of Spades, but he promised to sent it to everyone later (someone even asked publicly, not me). I don't know what happened but I never received something. Hence I asked him (very politely) with messenger on Facebook if he had the time to complete this document but never aswered me... I interpreted this unpleasant experience positively though.

I am not anymore a member of any of the WDA groups on Facebook (for months) to say the truth, it's more for people who want to be certified as professional (at the golden medal level I guess), and otherwise people constantly shared their enthusiasm about Tony Puhle stuff, that tired me since I'm not a fan of her art.

Kaph has always dropped offline and effectively disappeared, and he's always come back. It's been like that since he had the yahoo group years and years ago. I'd try again when you see him online.

And you're right, this Cult of Toni business is nuts. She's a competent reader but people are too influenced by the directional stuff. Karen Mahony had to explain recently that the Bohemian Fortunetelling Cards are NOT normally read directionally! I'm sure you saw that.

Even Kipperkarten, while they do utilize direction to some extent, aren't generally read the way that she teaches. I know German readers who have never heard of "Stop Cards" prior to all of this. So all of that "true Bavarian method" and "Americans are reading it like Lenormand and that's wrong" stuff needs to be taken with a big grain of salt.

And you know what I think of certifications. 🤣