Duplicate Cards in Reading

vague-whisperings

AJ-ish/Sharyn

((((vague-whisperings))))   I know you've mentioned elsewhere about not using your decks in the home you live in. I'm a firm believer in their house their rules.  You've worked out a great alternative, which gives me a smile, because what do they think you are doing with the dice? 😉 Dice were forbidden in some homes I've been in, more tools for the debil. 

anyway, very adult to come back and give us further insight. Do they feel the same about playing cards? They are wonderful to read with, and you could explore hedgewitchery while you were at it. Your brain your rules sort of thing and a lot less complicated. 

1 hour ago, katrinka said:

Hair pulling? How girly. 🤣

To be fair, I am a girl person !! :rofl: 

47 minutes ago, stephanelli said:

😆😆😆😆😆

Yes!

Now back on topic...
Actually, this thread got me thinking about you could combine dice with tarot.  I was curious as to how it would be done without putting an unfair bias on some numbers (assuming you're using multiple dice rather than the 78 sided one) - @vague-whisperings
perhaps you could tell us your method?

If each number had the same chance of coming up, I'd say that getting it twice is special in some way - it links the positions in the spread - perhaps saying that the future will be similar to the past etc. (I think that was mentioned earlier).

Getting repeated cards in a one card daily draw is usually a sign (for me) that that card has a lesson it wants me to learn and I'm not listening to it.  However these are draws which are done once a day and not in the same spread.  I dunno, maybe it's similar?

I would like to think one member here whose name HERE I can't for the life of me remember would show up - she uses dice a lot, and I'm sure could add. some really interesting thoights  I'll see if I can find her.

ETA: PINGING @legendaryelement - and maybe she would discuss this in more detail. She uses dice in remarkable ways.

24 minutes ago, vague-whisperings said:

So, I’d like to extend an apology to @gregory for my earlier posts, as well as @katrinka. My original post was badly worded and confusing for other people to engage with. I made it without thinking about how it would be received by people who're unfamiliar with my methods. I shouldn't have done that. Everyone's input thus far has been valuable and I appreciate that you guys have enough interest in this to tell me what you think.

My situation is a bit of a strange one- I can't use my decks on a regular basis due to safety. I've spent a lot of money on my decks and I care about them a lot; however, I'm at risk of losing them whenever I have them out. The times when I feel safe enough to use them are few and far between. Thus, I developed an alternate, innocuous way of choosing cards- rolling dice. (As a note: being caught does not affect my personal safety, just my ability to keep my tarot decks.)

This was easiest because I already had a set of dice that are used for DnD; after this, I simply adapted the numbers to match the decks that I have. Once I have the numbers assigned to the various cards, I use digital versions of the cards to compare visually and then I stitch those images together for the sitter. Since spreads are numbered and have questions, I just attach the rolls to those questions and answer accordingly. If anyone would like to see the dice method more specifically, I talked about it a bit here ( @stephanelli since you asked about it) .

Can you start a thread about how this works ? It would be very interesting to many of us (I thought there was one, but I see that link just goes back to the beginning of this thread,.)

24 minutes ago, vague-whisperings said:

However, this isn't a perfect replica of using an actual tarot deck. There is a chance of rolling duplicate cards with all of them, even though only one of my decks includes duplicates. Previously, when I have rolled duplicates for decks that didn't have them, I would just discard them for the sake of mimicking their typical use. However, while reading the posts people have made, and realizing some people include jumpers (I would always put them back and reshuffle the whole deck), I thought I would ask everyone's opinion.

I love being able to actually handle my deck when I can, but it's not always possible for me. I enjoy doing readings for people (non-professionally), and I like working with and practicing tarot. At the end of the day, I'm still new to this, and I want to learn, I just can't do that in the traditional way.

No worries. But that's awful for you. And fair enough - that's a valid reason for not having the cards out. I do get that now. For me (many here will know that I read using ONLY what I see !) - I absolutely HAVE to see the cards to read with them, so your method would be a real problem for me. But if you want to "think that way" - someone I know who liked to read at odd moments at work used to carry 78 pieces of paper with the names of the cards on. Are you at risk of theft - in which case this would work - or of being beaten up for using the ways of Satan - in which case it's no help at all ! (ETA - just saw AJ's post. OK - but 78 pieces of paper - would that be an issue ?)

Good luck, anyway. I'm sorry for any hurt caused; I am REALLY sorry to see anyone in that position, but - yeah; their house their rules, if that's the case..

Edited by gregory

vague-whisperings
59 minutes ago, AJ-ish/Sharyn said:

You've worked out a great alternative, which gives me a smile, because what do they think you are doing with the dice? 😉 Dice were forbidden in some homes I've been in, more tools for the debil. 

anyway, very adult to come back and give us further insight. Do they feel the same about playing cards? They are wonderful to read with, and you could explore hedgewitchery while you were at it. Your brain your rules sort of thing and a lot less complicated. 

Thanks! They think I'm using the dice for DnD (I play with friends on occasion). Tbh I find it a bit ironic because my grandmother thought that DnD was devil worship when my dad played it as a teenager.

I think I could get away with playing cards (or DIYing it like I did for my bf last year. We did a reading with paper torn into rectangles and numbered 0-21) but it's not really something I've considered :Tc I'm not sure what kind of reaction using something else like paper would elicit; my Adventurer's deck has a dual purpose and it still got me in trouble so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I think that would only work with my RWS deck too, since my other decks have a minimum of 99 cards and that gets to be a bit of a handful to keep track of

53 minutes ago, gregory said:

Can you start a thread about how this works ? It would be very interesting to many of us (I thought there was one, but I see that link just goes back to the beginning of this thread,.)

I'm not super sure if the link worked but in DotW October 17 - October 23, I posted about the dice method I use for the Adventurer's deck. This was fairly early on, so the post is on the first page. Edit: Here u go

Edited by vague-whisperings

23 minutes ago, AJ-ish/Sharyn said:

Do they feel the same about playing cards? They are wonderful to read with, and you could explore hedgewitchery while you were at it. Your brain your rules sort of thing and a lot less complicated. 

That's what I was going to suggest. (This site is better and more complete than Hedgewytchery, IMHO:  https://artofcartomancy.blogspot.com/ )

And most people who forbid cards have no idea what a Lenormand is. You could say it's the Game of Hope and not be lying.

Additionally, there are specific methods for reading dice: https://www.serenapowers.com/dice.html
And lots of other readable things that are not cards: runes, bones, shells, charms, etc.

33 minutes ago, vague-whisperings said:

So, I’d like to extend an apology to @gregory for my earlier posts, as well as @katrinka. My original post was badly worded and confusing for other people to engage with. I made it without thinking about how it would be received by people who're unfamiliar with my methods. I shouldn't have done that. Everyone's input thus far has been valuable and I appreciate that you guys have enough interest in this to tell me what you think.

No problem. I wasn't aware of your living situation. I thought you just didn't feel like getting out of bed. My bad!

17 minutes ago, gregory said:

To be fair, I am a girl person !! :rofl: 

But you don't have to fight like one!

nicki minaj fight GIF

vague-whisperings
1 minute ago, katrinka said:

And most people who forbid cards have no idea what a Lenormand is. You could say it's the Game of Hope and not be lying.

Additionally, there are specific methods for reading dice: https://www.serenapowers.com/dice.html
And lots of other readable things that are not cards: runes, bones, shells, charms, etc.

It's a bit strange because in theory this could work, but apparently things that are used for divination and other general magic-y things have a Vibe, and that enough could cause trouble for me. I actually have a set of oracle dice, but I don't want to risk even those. Generally, I try to keep my activities to a minimum and only do readings with things that are cheap, easily accessible, already exists in my life, and are very replaceable (like the $5 basic set of DnD dice I got from B&N). It's a situation where I have to cover all my bases.

I'll have to consider using other materials though 🤔 That sounds interesting and fun to work around tbh (like baking based divination maybe 😜 )

Do you think people who absolutely don't believe in that stuff would detect a vibe ? I would be VERY surprised.

Looked at your link. GOSH that looks like hard work....!

1 hour ago, vague-whisperings said:

It's a bit strange because in theory this could work, but apparently things that are used for divination and other general magic-y things have a Vibe, and that enough could cause trouble for me. I actually have a set of oracle dice, but I don't want to risk even those. Generally, I try to keep my activities to a minimum and only do readings with things that are cheap, easily accessible, already exists in my life, and are very replaceable (like the $5 basic set of DnD dice I got from B&N). It's a situation where I have to cover all my bases.

I'll have to consider using other materials though 🤔 That sounds interesting and fun to work around tbh (like baking based divination maybe 😜 )

Hey - what about affirmation cards. (I HATE them, but very few people would look at them and think DIVINATION...!)

legendaryelement

gregory pinged?? I posted some pdf examples of some of what I did with a dice app when I made up "real world" dice divination sets as gifts for dear friends. Unfortunately our local gaming store closed down over a year ago. (actually a year before all the covid stuff - wow!) I do miss popping in to run my fingers through the loose singles and coming up with color palettes tailored to my buddies ...

As to the original question about duplicates, I re-roll. Same thing applies if a particular die rolled for a place value goes higher than the available options. or if a 0 comes up on a d10.

Edited by legendaryelement

legendaryelement

For bibliomancy, I like to use books of famous quotes.

8,789 Words of Wisdom by Barbara Ann Kipfer

The Harper Book of Quotations edited by Robert I. Fitzhenry

19 minutes ago, legendaryelement said:

gregory pinged?? I posted some pdf examples of some of what I did with a dice app when I made up "real world" dice divination sets as gifts for dear friends. Unfortunately our local gaming store closed down over a year ago. (actually a year before all the covid stuff - wow!) I do miss popping in to run my fingers through the loose singles and coming up with color palettes tailored to my buddies ...

I did. Look at the post the OP linked, where she explains what she does. I thought you'd enjoy it... It is beyond me....

legendaryelement

I think I've seen that deck mentioned. Many of my friends and a few family members are into D&D. I have a pdf from a Ravenloft world featuring a 54-card deck called Tarokka and 5-dice set called Dikesha. (DriveThruRPG ~ Forbidden Lore)

http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Category:Tarokka_Deck_(Item)

http://www.fraternityofshadows.com/wiki/Dikesha_Dice

Pulling bits from some notes elsewhere ...

My tentative thought about using dice to get tarot cards is a little convoluted. Instead of having the person *ask a question* it would be a specific set of rolls based on the section types.

1 Major - life area, two d6
1 Court - person of influence, two d4

And for the Minor/pips, it would need to be an odd number of "cards" drawn so the element/suit analysis would yield a predominance - d4, d10

- - - -

resources on dice rolls for 2d6 and the Majors.

1,1 Magician
2,1 Empress 2,2 Emperor
3,1 High Priestess 3,2 Hierophant 3,3 Lovers
4,1 Temperance 4,2 Chariot 4,3 Strength 4,4 Wheel
5,1 Hermit 5,2 HangedM 5,3 Death 5,4 Devil 5,5 Tower
6,1 Star 6,2 Moon 6,3 Sun 6,4 Judgment 6,5 Justice 6,6 World

With the pip/Minors, I'm wondering about using 5 rolls for more every-day concerns, and using 7 rolls for philosophical/life event concerns.

two d4 (different colors)
Suit: 1= Wands 2= Cups 3= Swords 4=Pents
Courtier: 4= Page 3= Knight 2= Queen 1= King

- - - - -

Sample Every-day ~ for Me

1, 3 = High Priestess

2, 1 = Cups, Page

*five rolls*

3, 1 = Swords, Ace
2, 9 = Cups, Nine
1, 9 = Wands, Nine
3, 4 = Swords, Four
1, 8 = Wands, Eight

No earth (Pent/Coin) 4 on a d4

Now to pull the cards from a deck

- - - -

vague-whisperings
1 hour ago, legendaryelement said:

As to the original question about duplicates, I re-roll. Same thing applies if a particular die rolled for a place value goes higher than the available options. or if a 0 comes up on a d10.

That's usually what I'd do! But it's more typical for duplicate dice rolls or if the dice lands on a tilt that makes the numbers hard to see 😜

The other divination methods sound interesting and I'll have to see what I can get away with :0 I've heard of some various methods online, but I've really only done cartomancy and nothing else yet. Tbh, I'm not 100% sure how much I wanna get into more magic things; I really appreciate the suggestions though!

vague-whisperings
3 minutes ago, legendaryelement said:

My tentative thought about using dice to get tarot cards is a little convoluted. Instead of having the person *ask a question* it would be a specific set of rolls based on the section types.

Oh man your process is so fascinating to see because I went about it in a COMPLETELY different way. I only have one dnd dice set, so that's what I had to work with. Admittedly, I could've gotten another set, but. Well. I didn't think of that lmao

1474458174_Screenshot(217).thumb.png.1ffc965cb5b2f9c65cfceaacca732e6a.pngThis is what my process looks like for the major arcana. The RWS system is probably the most complicated as my Normal deck is just a 1-99 scale, which easily translated into percentile dice rolls, and the Adventurer's deck doesn't have specific number ranges like this.

It's actually why I ended up with duplicates lmao

3/99 doesn't look like 3/95 so if I forget my ranges (which is what I did unfortunately), then I think they're different cards when they're actually the same.

Also, I realize that the 1/00 might be a bit confusing when taken in consideration with other numbers. If it's anything other than 1/00 or 0/00, then it reverts to the 1-10 scale.

legendaryelement

Use/do what you are comfortable with. I am an insatiable collector with a frugal, deal-seeking approach to my acquisitions.

I saved a screenshot of your method. I love to see how people set up systems!

My favorite dice set is a rainbow translucent where I picked each die in the color corresponding to its element.

https://hellenicfaith.com/platonic-solids/

https://www.dicegamedepot.com/

vague-whisperings
5 minutes ago, legendaryelement said:

My favorite dice set is a rainbow translucent where I picked each die in the color corresponding to its element.

https://www.dicegamedepot.com/

OOOO those are so pretty ;w; I'm actually looking at this etsy store for dice since I want something a little heavier than the plastic set I have, and they sell single dice. My friend found them for me uwu

I'm actually gonna get some prismatic dice, an obsidian and clear quartz pair, and then rose quartz and amethyst in order to match my decks aesthetic >:3c

Hi @vague-whisperings

Thank you for the clarifications.   I now have a better picture of your methodology.  It would not work for me (and I am a very active gamer with 5 lb box of dice shaped from 1d4 to 1d100) but I do think what you have going based on your need to keep cards completely out of sight in pretty ingenious.  

I think a tarot app on your phone would be even better, but that is just me.  Astragalomancy is a real thing and you might want to explore it.   Dice are older than cards; divination with dice is among the oldest forms we have on record.  I've never done it personally for anything serious and not part of an RPG. 

Yes, use your duplicates.   If your readings are having them show up, just accept that as a message the universe is trying to tell you ~strongly~.   

vague-whisperings
1 hour ago, TheLoracular said:

Dice are older than cards; divination with dice is among the oldest forms we have on record. 

It's funny that you mention that because I recently actually got a set of oracle dice! I'm not 100% sure how it works yet as I've done two readings and finished neither one because the readings are Very Extensive lmao its like 14d6 with 13 positions on the casting board, not accounting for the dice positions themselves. It's a lot of fun figuring it out, but my attention span is short so I keep forgetting about finishing it 😬

thats an interesting link tho 👀 I'll check it out tysm!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.