How often do you draw cards?

SunshineMoon

SunshineMoon

Do you draw daily, weekly, monthly or just when you need to? If you do daily, do you do one card, two, or three? I assume the cards can get exhausted so I was curious what you all find best!

When the spirit moves me - or when I am in a circle. No set pattern of any kind.

I do not believe cards can get exhausted, but I do think you will start to get very odd readings if you read over and over on the same issues.

I think the limit for any person is about three times a year. Perhaps once more if something really important is happening.

I would not draw a card to decide which pullover to put on or what to cook 😁😉

No set rythm whatsoever.

For others, when they come around and have an issue they present to me.

For me, when I feel like it.

On multiple draws concerning the very same question:

It should not pose a problem if you ask twice.

Often, the very same cards or ones similar in meaning show up, careful shuffling and all a given, reinforcing the very first draw.

Some even seem to use the asking twice as a means to assess how much they are in touch with the veil, so to speak.

I draw a single card most days and keep a record of it. Some of the patterns are interesting over a week or month.

I do a reading for myself maybe three or four times a week. I have a couple of projects that I am working on, including Ancestral Tarot and Tarot Kaizen so am using different decks and for different purposes.

I might ask a question of the cards and do a spread once a week in addition to this. Sometimes I might do more than one spread and then less on my projects. I don't ask the same question over again so don't think about 'exhausting' the cards. 

Whenever I feel the need, or the desire - it might be several times in a week, then not for a month.

I don't think there's any risk of exhausting them, although we can potentially exhaust ourselves... I would be worried about too much reading diminishing my reverence for them and not investing the time to process what they're telling me. At the moment, if I get a difficult reading to work out, I let it settle, spend time pondering it, and the answers come. I don't think a quick-fire approach would work for me, as I wouldn't be giving the cards (and the process) the respect they deserve.

As for asking the same question repeatedly, that generally doesn't work for me; the subsequent readings start going weird and confusing. Instead, if there's something I'm unsure about, I'll just ask a different question that aims at whatever the uncertainty is - as you would when having a conversation. That tends to be much more effective.

Used to average two readings a week or so, drawing around three to four cards each. Now, in addition to these, I do single-card daily draws too. 

Edited by Akhilleus

SunshineMoon

Thanks for your replies everyone! There are some very neat replies. It is cool to see how everyone's practice varies. I have a hard time narrowing down a specific question and find my questions are very vague. I am doing daily 3 card draws using different spreads as a way to learn the cards and get to know them. I am starting to find I remember some of the meanings, which is great. I appreciate all of the replies! I think the general consensus on not asking the same question repeatedly makes the most sense. Also, I love the response of the cards might not get tired but we get tired after doing too many!

At first I do one card per day and meticulously write down my observation and thoughts on my journal. And yeah, this helps me to learn tarot really quickly! After 3-4 months, I feel like getting a grip of it. But like you and everyone else, at some point I get tired after doing too many 😁 and after that, I switch my daily reading. I find daily 3 card reading, but not everyday (like every other day, or whenever I feel like it) suits me well. For ease of use I use Labyrinthos app for my 3 card reading because the app records the card really well and you can record your own spread, too, but sometimes I just photograph my cards and write in my own journal. For repeated question, though, if it's a daily question I find it is harmless to repeat it but of course sometimes I find it bored to repeat 😅 so if I don't think of anything, I just read without any questions, because we can read without questions, right 😃

I don't do daily draws. I read the cards when and as the need arises, which means I could read several times during a week, then stop and not read for a month or more. 

On 1/6/2023 at 2:33 AM, SunshineMoon said:

I have a hard time narrowing down a specific question and find my questions are very vague

I found from my experience that the more specific and precise the question, the more accurate answer you will get. Also, it's a good idea to concentrate on the question and the fact that you want an answer, otherwise the cards might pick up your wishful thinking or scenarios that you made in your mind; this could affect the answer.

SunshineMoon
3 hours ago, Esclarmonde said:

I don't do daily draws. I read the cards when and as the need arises, which means I could read several times during a week, then stop and not read for a month or more. 

I found from my experience that the more specific and precise the question, the more accurate answer you will get. Also, it's a good idea to concentrate on the question and the fact that you want an answer, otherwise the cards might pick up your wishful thinking or scenarios that you made in your mind; this could affect the answer.

This is excellent advice! Thank you for sharing that. You are right, it would make sense to concentrate on the question and the fact that you want an answer. 

Do you have any advice on narrowing down a single specific question for the larger readings like a celtic cross or Romany. I am not particularly doing those spreads yet since I am new, but I play around trying to figure out how to read card combinations and read the cards like a story. 

No matter how large the spread you're using, the question should be specific. If you ask a precise question and do the reading with more than e.g. 3 cards, the answer will be more detailed, and give you more aspects and angles of the matter at hand. As for reading card combinations, this comes with experience - I remember at first I just saw the cards as separate, then I began to see how they connect and complement each other. 

11 hours ago, SunshineMoon said:

Do you have any advice on narrowing down a single specific question for the larger readings like a celtic cross or Romany. I am not particularly doing those spreads yet since I am new, but I play around trying to figure out how to read card combinations and read the cards like a story. 

These large spreads are by definition general - they cover a lot of different sub-questions, so are hard to relate to one specific thing. If I do want to apply these to a particular situation, then just focus on that situation first to set the theme of the reading, and then with each card concentrate on the position as it relates to the situation. If you don't do it already, then try drawing each card individually (which I always do anyway, rather than just dealing), so that you can focus on the meaning of the position for each one. Once they're all laid out then you get to read the interactions between them... but treat each card separately first, and you'll be able to see how the reading is constructed. I find it takes a good hour to do one of these spreads properly!

I draw a daily card, and also every new month I draw a card from the major arcana for that month. I write them down in a journal.

Then the next year I go through the monthly cards and try to see what they wanted to tell me about the year that have past.

And all the daily cards I count to see how many in every suit (lesser arcana) and how many in the major arcana there are.

Some years there are cards that I newer drew, even that is interesting! 

catlover5201314

im an astrologer so i also pull for some transits and make a 3 card spread usually 1. whats x transit bringing me 2. advice and 3. something to work on 

i also i draw when i feel the need to or simply want to .. but i try to avoid coming to it so often to not create a dependency on my deck

On 1/8/2023 at 6:00 AM, Wanderer said:

These large spreads are by definition general - they cover a lot of different sub-questions, so are hard to relate to one specific thing. If I do want to apply these to a particular situation, then just focus on that situation first to set the theme of the reading, and then with each card concentrate on the position as it relates to the situation. If you don't do it already, then try drawing each card individually (which I always do anyway, rather than just dealing), so that you can focus on the meaning of the position for each one. Once they're all laid out then you get to read the interactions between them... but treat each card separately first, and you'll be able to see how the reading is constructed. I find it takes a good hour to do one of these spreads properly!

@Wanderer I don't know how I am just seeing this, but thank you!! This makes so much sense. They do cover a lot of different sub-questions. I was actually reading on a Romany spread yesterday and it was saying that you could get answers to questions that you had not asked about but that you need to know. I thought that was pretty neat. I don't have a good idea of card interactions yet, but I am trying to figure it out. I think that is the hardest part for me. 

12 hours ago, SunshineMoon said:

@Wanderer I don't know how I am just seeing this, but thank you!! This makes so much sense. They do cover a lot of different sub-questions. I was actually reading on a Romany spread yesterday and it was saying that you could get answers to questions that you had not asked about but that you need to know. I thought that was pretty neat. I don't have a good idea of card interactions yet, but I am trying to figure it out. I think that is the hardest part for me. 

You're welcome - glad you found it eventually! :wink: The art of card interactions takes time to develop, and there's a lot of intuition and personal habits involved. There are some standard aspects, though, like two cards with overlapping meanings narrowing down the message to something more precise that they can both refer to. There's also the idea that the way that the figures are facing plays a role: one card acts in reference to another when the character is looking at it, for example. It's not necessarily something you can make hard rules about, because the exact interactions depend on the spread, on the deck, and on personal reading style, but they're things to play around with and develop for yourself...

I look at the cards almost every day 😄 if I don’t do a longer Tarot reading, then I draw an oracle card at least.

FindYourSovereignty

Sadly, not often enough. I want to every day, but sometimes all I get to do is shuffle them. I try.

fire cat pickles

I draw cards nearly everyday, and I consult them. I do not write my readings down everyday due to time constraints. 

On 1/5/2023 at 9:15 AM, Wanderer said:

Whenever I feel the need, or the desire - it might be several times in a week, then not for a month.

Yes. I go through phases similar to this

I don't think there's any risk of exhausting them,

I have experienced a deck getting "tired" but then I just switch decks.

... I would be worried about too much reading diminishing my reverence for them and not investing the time to process what they're telling me. ...  if I get a difficult reading to work out, I let it settle, spend time pondering it, and the answers come.

Yes. Me too.

As for asking the same question repeatedly, that generally doesn't work for me; the subsequent readings start going weird and confusing.

LOL this is a rule of Tarot

On 1/5/2023 at 5:33 PM, SunshineMoon said:

... I am doing daily 3 card draws using different spreads as a way to learn the cards and get to know them.

I tell my students to read on fictional topics, politics, celebrities, TV shows or similar. It's exhausting to do real spreads 100% of the time whilst trying to learn. Also it can lead to self-obsession (in some cases)

On 1/7/2023 at 3:13 PM, SunshineMoon said:

I don't teach larger spreads at level 1. Only Level 2. Not sure where your skill level is ... beginner? intermediate? ... but fictional topics are a great learning tool to have fun with your imagination and practice telling stories with cards.

Since joining this forum, I find I want to study and practice the cards as much as possible, and to try new approaches to reading their messages to me.  I just read through an ongoing thread here, where two people read for each other, using only one card.  I was SO impressed at the depth of the exchanges.  They've obviously moved past the 'little white book' stage in their reading prowess.  I've never tried reading with only one card and describing everything I see on that card.  It was an eye-opener for me—and one I plan to try.

But when I don't have a pressing question or a need for guidance on a particular issue, then pulling 'practice' cards every day seems ...disrespectful?  I have a hard time focusing on a reading, when I don't have an issue or question I need to deal with.

I have to say that when I DO have an issue or question, the cards always come through for me!  But when I don't...?

I can intellectualise the images on the cards, but emotional connections and intuitive flashes just don't come.  Why?  Maybe because the cards don't have anything to tell me on these days, because I'm not looking for—or needing— anything in particular.  

I work on my own, most of the time, as I don't have any friends nearby any more who are interested in tarot.  At some point I will probably join Tarot, Tea and Me's reading circles—especially the ones that require a particular method of reading that I'm not yet familiar with—like that one-card exchange I just saw.  That's how to learn, isn't it?

Edited by Chariot

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.