EmpyreanKnight

Lo Scarabeo Anima Antiqua Line

gregory

Oops I didn't get around to the comparison. But yes - the Montieri was a game for educating children.

katrinka
7 hours ago, Morsoth said:

No, I won't read with the Montieri! Anyway, these decks were never designed for cartomancy after all. All the Anima Antiqua decks, to date, are for playing the games of tarocchi, tarot or tarock. The ones that are similar to the Tarot de Marseille, like that Sopraffino, are easier to work with considering that a system has been developed. Maybe LoS will reproduce decks designed for divination in this line someday, but right now, it's only decks for playing games. However, you can use anything for divination. So I'm sure many will use them in readings.

True, not only for cards, but for most things on those endless lists of "-mancies": tea leaves, palms, wax drippings, bones, entrails, bowls of water, counting crows, etc. ad infinitum. They weren't originally intended to be read, but people read them anyway. And I think an old pip Tarot reads much better than a modern oracle deck that was supposedly designed for reading.

I'm just not sure about the Montieri. I think it could be done if one were to invest a great deal of time with them, but they look like a hard nut to crack.

katrinka
3 hours ago, gregory said:

Oops I didn't get around to the comparison. But yes - the Montieri was a game for educating children.

Then you'd think it would be pretty straightforward!
I doubt I could come up with relevant meanings for all those heraldic shields, though.

Morsoth
21 minutes ago, katrinka said:

Then you'd think it would be pretty straightforward!
I doubt I could come up with relevant meanings for all those heraldic shields, though.

Thinking about it, the Montieri deck is pretty similar to any Marseille or pip deck if you only read with the top image and ignore the larger portion with writings and heraldic symbols. The only true difference is that the deck has only 62 cards: 24 pip cards, 16 court cards and 22 trumps. But again, if you use the Marseille meanings, I'm sure you can read with them.

katrinka
21 minutes ago, Morsoth said:

Thinking about it, the Montieri deck is pretty similar to any Marseille or pip deck if you only read with the top image and ignore the larger portion with writings and heraldic symbols. The only true difference is that the deck has only 62 cards: 24 pip cards, 16 court cards and 22 trumps. But again, if you use the Marseille meanings, I'm sure you can read with them.

Well, yes, but then there's really no point in using it, you might as well use another pip deck.
We had a discussion about that on one of the Lenormand threads recently, about how if you have a deck with a wonky card that doesn't fit the meaning, it's problematic. Sure, you can ignore the image, but then you aren't really reading the deck.

Morsoth
3 hours ago, katrinka said:

Well, yes, but then there's really no point in using it, you might as well use another pip deck.

Hmmm... I see your point, and it's valid! 😄 But, you can use a deck only for the aesthetic. As we all already know, many modern decks are Rider-Waite clones, and many uses them with the RW meanings in head, without really delving into the actual imagery of the cards. For many, a tower card is a tower card. So, well, I guess you can use the Montieri deck as any pip deck.

katrinka
2 hours ago, Morsoth said:

Hmmm... I see your point, and it's valid! 😄 But, you can use a deck only for the aesthetic.

I suppose there's no harm done if you're alone. It might be problematic for face to face client readings, though:
"What about all those shields? What do they mean?"
"Oh, I don't pay any attention to those..."
It doesn't exactly inspire confidence. 😸

As we all already know, many modern decks are Rider-Waite clones, and many uses them with the RW meanings in head, without really delving into the actual imagery of the cards.

"Many" people do a lot of things with cards. One has only to watch some of the fiascos on youtube. 🙄
Don't get me wrong, I'm a system reader to a big extent. I don't "read off the pictures" in the sense that a lot of people do. But the pictures have to be compatible with the meanings I'm using. If they're not, I need to find another meaning.

For many, a tower card is a tower card. So, well, I guess you can use the Montieri deck as any pip deck.

I'm sure some will. It's not for me, though.
Thanks! De-enabling is GOOD. 😁

Morsoth

Oh I understand! When I do readings, I do read with the deck I'm using. I was just trying to find a way to read easily with these, that's all. That's why I'm never gonna read with any Anima Antiqua. These decks are for my historical collection, not for readings.

sixdegrees

Oh yes, the AA seems much nicer than the Ancient Italian. It is on my list for sure!