EmpyreanKnight

Lo Scarabeo Anima Antiqua Line

gregory

Well these things ARE out earlier in Europe - but even on amazon UK they show - oddly - as Llewellyn - which of course it ISN'T - and as unavailable.

I Like to order from source - I think it even means they get more of my money.

gregory

I just got them. LOVELY stuff :classic_smile:

Morsoth

Can you post some pictures? Mine is still in a preorder stage! 😛

gregory

OK - after I mow the lawn. Anything in particular you want to see (I do NOT do videos....)

Morsoth

Just a picture of a random spread with a card showing the back! Thanks in advance! Can't wait to have my copy...

p.s. You just reminded me that I should mow the lawn too... 

gregory

Sorry - I was sidetracked. Here you go. Say if you want anything else. And yes, that lady's the Montieri BACK !

sopraffino.thumb.jpg.67b14afe534107aae8cfcf684db9302d.jpg

montieri.thumb.jpg.dcbb899f7fbfa01d282e19193d69d842.jpg

Morsoth

Oh wow!! They look amazing! Thank you for the pictures!

I'll cancel my preorders with Amazon and buy directly from Lo Scarabeo instead!

gregory

It's ALWAYS quicker !

gregory

Order that teeny bit more to get free shipping - I THINK you'll need to; I forget... you need to hit 75 euros. Buying a small item gets you a saving over all...

Morsoth

Awesome! The two decks are 65,88 € (with shipping of 21,96 €) so i'll definitely add something else to get free shipping! Thanks for the tip!

gregory

I do bulk orders every time I can hit the 75 ! Buy something and sell on....

Morsoth
Posted (edited)

Youhou!! Received my decks today from Lo Scarabeo, along with a 'tarot' bag that I'll using to store my Ogham set! I had to pay $45 CAD for customs, but anyway, I'm sure to have them! Will do the same next year for sure, if they ever releases #9 and #10.

15959675862412754880426690909808.jpg

Edited by Morsoth

gregory

Isn't it great ? Why wouldn't they carry on the series ?

Bad luck with customs though. I've never got hit in Canada. YET.

Morsoth
9 minutes ago, gregory said:

Isn't it great ? Why wouldn't they carry on the series ?

Bad luck with customs though. I've never got hit in Canada. YET.

It is great! Both decks are in the 700's of 3999. Need to update my collection on the forums!

Well, I sure hope they continue with the series! But I'm always anxious until they release the catalogue near Fall-Winter.

2020 is a year of bad luck, I'm no surprised with the customs fees. My computer died last Sunday. At least I could do a backup and save all my stuff on an external disc before its last beep! Oh well, 2021 can't be worst...

gregory

I'd send you to my wonderful tech guy who can fix anything - but I imagine you aren't close enough to Mount Forest ? :rofl: 

gregory

I've got a 144 - and one in the late 1000's ! VERY random.

Morsoth

Yeah, I doubt they keep the boxes in order! 😉

Thanks for the tech guy, but it's okay. My desktop computer was almost 8 years old, and I wasn't gentle with it. It served me more than well! I plan to 'downgrade' to a mid-range laptop next month. Smaller and good enough for my needs, based on the minimum requirements for running Photoshop. For the time being, I will study with the Tarot For Your Self book! 🙂

gregory

EIGHT YEARS ? I am still running one that's more than twice that age, and my newer one is 10.... Both are fine; the older one just hasn't the processing power for the modern internet ! And I'm not exactly gentle.

sixdegrees

Thanks for the lovely pictures, @Morsoth. I can't want to get a copy of the Sopraffino! I have an "Ancient Italian" now, but to me the images there look a little grainy. Perhaps it's wishful thinking, but the Anima version seems crisper.

Morsoth
Posted (edited)

@sixdegrees - I was not aware before doing the comparison photos, but both decks are slighly different. The new deck has the proper size, based on the historical deck, and I'm sure the pictures are also identical. The color can change, as I know many older decks used the same lines, but often used different colors (Like the Etteilla I or II). I'm really not sure now on which deck the pictures for the Italian Tarot comes from... maybe another version of the Sopraffino?! I know Il Meneghello also has a version of this deck and I think it's more like the Anima Antiqua version.

Anyway, here's the comparison. The new deck is cripser, but it might be difficult to see on the photo, I'm only using my cell phone, and it was difficult to get everything in focus:

20200731_095339.thumb.jpg.5ed90484b0a5837150510cf5b38aabb5.jpg

20200731_095359.thumb.jpg.b4dbde69b471bb23e2aa6be74d276568.jpg

20200731_095427.thumb.jpg.cb7b90ecf0eacfc98467aa586160536b.jpg

20200731_095440.thumb.jpg.8db68a9bbd770648c688536d4d93070d.jpg

20200731_095448.thumb.jpg.3797f7feb75bb113d607898894624156.jpg

Edited by Morsoth

katrinka
Posted (edited)

That IS odd. 

Here's the Il Meneghello:

00.thumb.jpg.1c97e89ef2479d09b61d6370a470e117.jpg

Edited by katrinka

katrinka
Posted (edited)

And I don't mean to jack the thread, but would you guys say that the Montieri is a functional reading deck, or more of a curiosity?
It looks intriguing, but if it's essentially a paperweight I don't need it. 😁

Edited by katrinka

gregory

Fascinating - but - I don't think one could read with it... Morsoth ?

And it's not heavy enough to double as a paperweight.

Morsoth
Posted (edited)

Thank you @katrinka!! So the Anima Antiqua version has the same design as the Il Meneghello! That'a why I'll also keep my "Italian Tarot". I think I'll some research this week to know why they are different.

@gregory No, I won't read with the Montieri! Anyway, these decks were never designed for cartomancy after all. All the Anima Antiqua decks, to date, are for playing the games of tarocchi, tarot or tarock. The ones that are similar to the Tarot de Marseille, like that Sopraffino, are easier to work with considering that a system has been developed. Maybe LoS will reproduce decks designed for divination in this line someday, but right now, it's only decks for playing games. However, you can use anything for divination. So I'm sure many will use them in readings.

To me, they are pieces of history and I find them fascinating! The more they publish the more I'll collect them!

So far, I pretty much always do readings with my trusted Rider-Waite "Tavern Edition" that I made two years ago!

EDIT: Okay, looks like the crew of AT already knew the difference! The "Ancient Italian Tarot" was not made by by Carlo Della Rocca, but it's a reproduction of the deck by an anonymous artist (which obviously modified some details). Here the review for Aecletic Tarot:

Ancient Italian Tarot Review by ihcoyc
This deck is a reproduction of an Italian deck from the 1880's, which in turn was based in part on the 1835 deck by Carlo Della Rocca. It has rapidly become my favourite traditional deck, which for me means that it is my favourite deck of all time. [...]

Edited by Morsoth