EmpyreanKnight

Lo Scarabeo Anima Antiqua Line

Czenzi
1 hour ago, gregory said:

I've had it for years under the name of Ditha Moser (the artist.)

https://www.wopc.co.uk/austria/piatnik/jugendstil-tarock

It is indeed basically a tarock, first produced in 1906, in aid of a Viennese charity.  The 22 major arcana depict art nouveau scenes of people, animals, places and objects reminiscent of when the artist was a child.   The court cards have an almost stained glass effect, depicting Assyrians, knights, royalty and Egyptians. I have read with tarock decks, but I think you really need a playing card mindset to do them justice. If that makes sense.

Yes, it makes sense. I am interested in cartomancy too, so I may buy it to try it and see if it works for me. 

HermitWriter
On 2/13/2020 at 8:24 PM, katrinka said:

The numbering of the pips is curious: Hearts and Diamonds are numbered 1-4, Clubs and Spades are numbered 7-10. I leave you to your own devices here - your guess is as good as mine.

My suspicion is this is because in some tarot game rules, Cups and Coins (or Hearts and Diamonds) rank 1 highest and 10 lowest, while Batons and Swords (Clubs and Spades) rank 10 highest and 1 lowest. Tarock strips the lowest ranking pips out of each suit, bringing the deck to 54 cards, and leaving the cards you've pointed out to remain.

katrinka

That makes sense. Thanks!

Czenzi
2 hours ago, HermitWriter said:

My suspicion is this is because in some tarot game rules, Cups and Coins (or Hearts and Diamonds) rank 1 highest and 10 lowest, while Batons and Swords (Clubs and Spades) rank 10 highest and 1 lowest. Tarock strips the lowest ranking pips out of each suit, bringing the deck to 54 cards, and leaving the cards you've pointed out to remain.

I think it is interesting how we can get these really game-specific decks that make little sense outside of that context. I found the numbering system odd too, so this helps explain.

By the way @gregory, I ordered the deck and it came in yesterday. I just love the art style. I actually immediately connected to some of the meanings of the deck, so I think I can read with it. But, it is definitely it's own system and since the majors are so...odd...I think it does kind of limit *what* I can read on with it. I hope that makes sense. 

gregory

Oh yes - it is very odd. But it isn't that way because of LoS !

AeonHorus

I  have this deck. 

01 - Marseille 1760 box.jpg

02 - Marseille 1760 unboxed.jpg

03 - Marseille 1760 Cards.jpg

04 - Marseille 1760 All Cards.jpg

Yesterday I did my first reading with it. 

Dump him or not.jpg

I really like it!

Edited by AeonHorus