Unboxings and First Impressions

Raggydoll

28 minutes ago, Decan said:

Oh gorgeous!! And what do you think about the gold stamping?

It's beautiful! Overall the deck is just wonderful but I prefer the old cardstock, this new one is matt and sticky when compared to the usual silky smooth cardstock I've come to expect from their decks. But I love everything else!

timtoldrum
On 10/19/2020 at 1:19 AM, Decan said:

These are really good news! Congrats!

I checked and the World (and the 7 of Swords) have different meanings than those in the RWS, interesting variations.

They are, aren’t they? I did note that Picard has the Seven of Swords as the triumph of darkness over light. However, I will take the LWB definition for now! 

On 10/19/2020 at 2:25 AM, katrinka said:

A lot of the cards do, especially the Rods. But even the Majors are different in a lot of ways. Danger is emphasized for the Fool. It should be obvious - he's stepping into a crocodile's jaws. Even RWS shows him stepping off a cliff. But it's been ignored again and again. People get the Fool and say "Go for it!" Uhhhhh... 🙄

I love this Fool. This is the Fool I know from readings. At best, the Fool is a choice but most of the time he’s a bum and buffoon. 

On 10/19/2020 at 6:53 AM, Decan said:

Yes I know... This was developing with "pathworking readings" maybe, when both the reader and the sitter were agreed to interpret the cards in a positive way only, to valid what the sitter wants to hear in some ways; I personally think that denial must not be underestimated (I saw that many times on forums), so a simple warning from a reader to a sitter (useful!) can be rejected (and possibly with virulence) because it upsets a sitter.

But yes, the Fool runs into the wall (or the river, with this friendly crocodile); let's come back to the source, and thanks for your work with this deck!!

Yes. The no bad cards and no difficulties, just opportunities for growth. How true to life that is.

On 10/20/2020 at 1:20 AM, katrinka said:

The thanks goes to you guys - now I have people to discuss it with. 🌝
The prediction given for the 7S(R) is a bit random.  Auspicious, though, especially if you combine it with the World. 

I thought pathworking was guided imagery? I guess you could fit a reading into that format, though it's not something I have any desire to do. Especially if it requires censoring the warnings out of the cards! 

I am sincerely grateful; I love it. It is now in the main box (working and study) as I intend to try and use it at least every other day. It’s in the small blue wrap with gold trees (between the Otto Tragy and the Carta Mundi Lenormand). 

6F7A8751-C8E2-4D30-A6EC-116725DBBDAB.jpeg

28 minutes ago, timtoldrum said:

I am sincerely grateful; I love it. It is now in the main box (working and study) as I intend to try and use it at least every other day. It’s in the small blue wrap with gold trees (between the Otto Tragy and the Carta Mundi Lenormand). 

6F7A8751-C8E2-4D30-A6EC-116725DBBDAB.jpeg

Beautiful, it looks a real treasure box!

timtoldrum
2 hours ago, Decan said:

Beautiful, it looks a real treasure box!

Getting rid of 90 % of your collection does wonders for storing.  All my cards are in three boxes (two this size and one smaller).  This is my "working box".  Nothing special in here: Marseille (x2), Smith-Waite, Prediction Tarot, Victorian Romantic, DruidCraft, Oto Tragy, Thomson-Leng, Lenormand, Lasenic, Victoria Flower cards, Petit Oracle des Dames, and a lithomancy set. 

4 hours ago, timtoldrum said:

Getting rid of 90 % of your collection does wonders for storing.  All my cards are in three boxes (two this size and one smaller).  This is my "working box".  Nothing special in here: Marseille (x2), Smith-Waite, Prediction Tarot, Victorian Romantic, DruidCraft, Oto Tragy, Thomson-Leng, Lenormand, Lasenic, Victoria Flower cards, Petit Oracle des Dames, and a lithomancy set. 

It's too bad there's not some lending library for decks where people could try them out and see if they were keepers or not. A lot of my excess comes down to curiousity. And yes, I will be downsizing at some point! 
That looks so organized. And the wraps are beautiful. 

You're probably getting the full astrological dimension of the Thomson Leng, something I'm missing as I never studied astrology in depth. I hope you blog them! 😃

timtoldrum
2 hours ago, katrinka said:

It's too bad there's not some lending library for decks where people could try them out and see if they were keepers or not. A lot of my excess comes down to curiousity. And yes, I will be downsizing at some point! 
That looks so organized. And the wraps are beautiful. 

You're probably getting the full astrological dimension of the Thomson Leng, something I'm missing as I never studied astrology in depth. I hope you blog them! 😃

Me too. Although there were a few gifts, too. A lending library would be a good idea—I would have never purchased the Hanson Roberts, based on scans or reviews. But I like that deck a lot. In contrast, I thought I would love the Alice Tarot, but it was the complete opposite.

Etsy has a lot to answer for — some are old purchases and contain silk. There are good vegan options, and it’s nice to support artisans. And the wraps are great ideas.

I have several articles I want to write (not just TL); but life is not conducive. I did think of starting an informal thread, here, but don’t want to tread on toes.

The Madeline Montalban book came. Essentially, it is a concatenation of her articles in Prediction Magazine. However, even though she used the Thomson Leng, she followed neither the LWB or Picard. Her pip definitions are from The Complete Book of Fortune. There is some interesting spreads and she does emphasise the cause and effect.

I am not 100 % sure on the astrology of the deck. Decan’s thoughts of Picard’s view on water are convincing. Picard did seem to like binaries — trump/pip = cause/effect — and certainly understood elemental dignities, fire is inimical to water as are rods to swords. I have still been searching information on the artist. I wonder if it was Mollie Bailie. She was a regular illustrator for TL in the 1930s in both their annuals and the magazine the cards featured. However, it’s possible that the artist was selected by the card printer. 

Edited by timtoldrum
5 hours ago, timtoldrum said:

I have several articles I want to write (not just TL); but life is not conducive. I did think of starting an informal thread, here, but don’t want to tread on toes.

These toes would welcome a thread like that. 🙂

5 hours ago, timtoldrum said:

I have still been searching information on the artist. I wonder if it was Mollie Bailie. She was a regular illustrator for TL in the 1930s in both their annuals and the magazine the cards featured. However, it’s possible that the artist was selected by the card printer. 

That's a good lead. I'll make a note of her name, maybe look at some of her other work. 

timtoldrum
10 hours ago, katrinka said:

These toes would welcome a thread like that. 🙂

That's a good lead. I'll make a note of her name, maybe look at some of her other work. 

That is good. I will start one this week — I suppose it will be in the study groups.

Mollie (also spelt Molly) was Mary Laing née Bailie. She illustrated numerous annuals for TL including ones done by Blyton. Bailie was also a draughtswoman, portraitist and caricaturist. I cannot say for certain but her name comes up frequently. There are dedicated TL collectors and groups but a lot of these centres on annuals. 

On 11/1/2020 at 9:37 AM, timtoldrum said:

There are dedicated TL collectors and groups but a lot of these centres on annuals. 

Hmmm, it might be interesting to talk to some of these collectors. One of them might have our answer.

I received a spiritspeak tarot deck. I got it used at a great price, and it's good as new.

The cards are poker-sized and a treat to shuffle. I found some of the card interpretations simplistic and not particularly nuanced (8 of cups as break ups or emperor as just traditionally masculine without much complexity in the guidebook), but the illustrations are very much my style. The 3 of swords with the bandaged heart after swords have fallen out/been removed and 10 of swords with 10 little swords in the head causing wounds from which plants are growing really stood out to me. I appreciated a 10 of swords that emphasizes mental hyperactivity rather than mere betrayal and such.  I know I am going to be using this deck a lot for personal readings. I am not as interested in using it in readings for others, because I prefer more descriptive decks for that. My intuition gets stronger when there's a lot of details to catch and analyze in the imagery.

I am so excited about the Witches wisdom tarot. Mostly because of the artist - Danielle Barlow, who is someone I greatly admire. But I  am also intrigued by this new concept and by the guidebook. 

First of all. The packaging is really nice and I love that you get a bag with it. The guidebook is printed in a nice quality too. It’s a mass produced deck so I wasn’t expecting it to feel this good. The cards are bigger than your standard size tarot deck; they are quite wide and thick. The cardstock feels high quality. The artwork is breathtaking and my first impression is that this is a really diverse deck with lots of symbolism to dig into. It has a very unique take on the majors. It reverses their order and changed their titles. 

80C6187F-CFA8-45B8-9DE5-43B075F675A2.thumb.jpeg.49097f2703c7a03adbfd957c2f21dcde.jpeg

EAF07E62-B164-4778-86A1-5815550AEA4E.thumb.jpeg.68e08345f24035276ddee110ccd8533d.jpeg

2E65D827-5043-4A5E-9AFE-0E5C3D244944.thumb.jpeg.ad9f71a441d4ac66467eb7c02a90fe8b.jpeg

here is a peek at some of the changes that were made

0C576974-3CD7-4D60-BD7C-811EDBBE467B.thumb.jpeg.7c9d6dccbfadacfada561d4dcc0acc7a.jpeg

Now, let’s get to the cards!! 

The minors feature lots of animals and lovely scenery. I was expecting this, given what I know about the artist. She renders animals and landscapes in a magical way. 

D3180EE6-A073-4D24-8A6B-348D995096BE.thumb.jpeg.5a91024be1857f69f5e20dbf37bb1cdb.jpeg

The court cards have altered titles too

B18F5AA8-3405-4F12-80CF-F64FEEBECADD.thumb.jpeg.b1bc5cefb1b873a51ffff8d54703bc27.jpeg

I love this so much! 

A98B1856-48D0-4FE2-851C-671B1ACE80C1.thumb.jpeg.ec66836d89eff8e7b958c98dfb51cd03.jpeg

some of the majors 

F87690C0-0D4C-428C-96B6-273802BE0E95.thumb.jpeg.3fe9d9426f3d76600948ebd6887b789e.jpeg

And I couldn’t not include these luscious cards. Stunning!! 
B64420D6-70DC-4006-8096-C5017E31E2E7.thumb.jpeg.59f822c0bdf41f0247eb9626c0fce753.jpeg

I will love exploring this deck. The only downside for me is the size. It’s because of my hands, my joints ache when I shuffle big decks for a longer while. So I’ll have to be gentle with this one. I might even spread the cards out on the table and pull them that way. I’m thinking it will be worth it!

23 minutes ago, AJ-ish/Sharyn said:

Love that wheel! I'm afraid the renamed then reversed majors would move this out of tarot and into an oracle for me. Why call it a tarot then remake it into something else? Why not start new? Marketing? 

I think the concept of 'the witches tarot' was predetermined and for marketing purposes, for sure. The author and the illustrator were both approached about creating a new witches tarot, so yeah, you are probably right about that. The reversing of the majors is explained as making more sense for a witch, where its a path that eventually leads back to mother earth. I haven't read the guidebook yet, just skimmed the introduction so I really don't know what I am talking about (yet) 😄 I plan on reading the whole thing and then working with it for a while, and then give you an update/review on it. If I feel that it doesn't quite work as a tarot then I might just use it more as an oracle. I don't have a problem with that. I think I might also use it for daily draws for a while to get to know the cards. 

3 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

I am so excited about the Witches wisdom tarot. Mostly because of the artist - Danielle Barlow, who is someone I greatly admire. But I  am also intrigued by this new concept and by the guidebook. 

First of all. The packaging is really nice and I love that you get a bag with it. The guidebook is printed in a nice quality too. It’s a mass produced deck so I wasn’t expecting it to feel this good. The cards are bigger than your standard size tarot deck; they are quite wide and thick. The cardstock feels high quality. The artwork is breathtaking and my first impression is that this is a really diverse deck with lots of symbolism to dig into. It has a very unique take on the majors. It reverses their order and changed their titles. 

80C6187F-CFA8-45B8-9DE5-43B075F675A2.thumb.jpeg.49097f2703c7a03adbfd957c2f21dcde.jpeg

EAF07E62-B164-4778-86A1-5815550AEA4E.thumb.jpeg.68e08345f24035276ddee110ccd8533d.jpeg

2E65D827-5043-4A5E-9AFE-0E5C3D244944.thumb.jpeg.ad9f71a441d4ac66467eb7c02a90fe8b.jpeg

here is a peek at some of the changes that were made

0C576974-3CD7-4D60-BD7C-811EDBBE467B.thumb.jpeg.7c9d6dccbfadacfada561d4dcc0acc7a.jpeg

Now, let’s get to the cards!! 

The minors feature lots of animals and lovely scenery. I was expecting this, given what I know about the artist. She renders animals and landscapes in a magical way. 

D3180EE6-A073-4D24-8A6B-348D995096BE.thumb.jpeg.5a91024be1857f69f5e20dbf37bb1cdb.jpeg

The court cards have altered titles too

B18F5AA8-3405-4F12-80CF-F64FEEBECADD.thumb.jpeg.b1bc5cefb1b873a51ffff8d54703bc27.jpeg

I love this so much! 

A98B1856-48D0-4FE2-851C-671B1ACE80C1.thumb.jpeg.ec66836d89eff8e7b958c98dfb51cd03.jpeg

some of the majors 

F87690C0-0D4C-428C-96B6-273802BE0E95.thumb.jpeg.3fe9d9426f3d76600948ebd6887b789e.jpeg

And I couldn’t not include these luscious cards. Stunning!! 
B64420D6-70DC-4006-8096-C5017E31E2E7.thumb.jpeg.59f822c0bdf41f0247eb9626c0fce753.jpeg

I will love exploring this deck. The only downside for me is the size. It’s because of my hands, my joints ache when I shuffle big decks for a longer while. So I’ll have to be gentle with this one. I might even spread the cards out on the table and pull them that way. I’m thinking it will be worth it!

The artwork is gorgeous! Very tempted by this...

11 minutes ago, Flaxen said:

The artwork is gorgeous! Very tempted by this...

I am thinking you would like it. The guidebook says they have merged witchcraft with core shamanism and the visions for each card came from journeys done by both the artist and the author. They did at least one shamanic journey each per card, sometimes more to clarify things. I would love to hear your thoughts on it. 

1 minute ago, Raggydoll said:

I am thinking you would like it. The guidebook says they have merged witchcraft with core shamanism and the visions for each card came from journeys done by both the artist and the author. They did at least one shamanic journey each per card, sometimes more to clarify things. I would love to hear your thoughts on it. 

That sounds amazing!

4 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

I am so excited about the Witches wisdom tarot. Mostly because of the artist - Danielle Barlow, who is someone I greatly admire. 

Wow, she's seriously good. That 9 of Fire looks authentically vintage - like something you'd see in an old book with color plates, 1910-1920-ish. Those apples...

24 minutes ago, katrinka said:

Wow, she's seriously good. That 9 of Fire looks authentically vintage - like something you'd see in an old book with color plates, 1910-1920-ish. Those apples...

You should see some of the other art pieces in there as well... I am thinking there are several you would enjoy. I will show them to you later ☺️ 

So I got my Oak Ash & Thorn

PXL_20201122_141653995.thumb.jpg.2a3ccfd1ddcb3076439c026699ab0f50.jpg

PXL_20201122_142202217.thumb.jpg.112d8ec2bda8e95bd2f54f31efa6e3f4.jpg

The whole thing is beautiful, the packaging, the art, the cloth. But I feel no burning need to use it. Maybe one day...

On the other hand, I've also received the Witches Wisdom Tarot...

PXL_20201122_142737638.thumb.jpg.451eac7a2ef64626c04eec0ce7f34794.jpg

I already have the Green Wheel Oracle by the same artist, so when I heard she was doing a Tarot it went straight on the want list. It arrived yesterday and already has it's own notebook. I love the lack of borders, that combined with the size of the cards really shows off the artwork - though I am finding it difficult to shuffle. Really looking forward to using this deck regularly and getting to know it.

I suspect probably not, having seen what the originals look like, I don't know how well they'd crop to bleed. In person they're not too bad, honestly.

I received my Occult Ornithology deck yesterday! This is a 22 Majors only deck, and *incredibly* lovely. I plan to use my Birds Oracle/Birds Oracle 2 along with this one for a fuller deck:

IMG_20201122_120755426.thumb.jpg.ff662bfa654522469be30e3e572b350e.jpg

Truly lovely.

3 minutes ago, Niobium said:

I suspect probably not, having seen what the originals look like, I don't know how well they'd crop to bleed. In person they're not too bad, honestly.

Yes, they look fine in person to me, don't notice them when I'm looking through the cards, and I've done that a few times as they are lovely and a joy to look at.