A BIGGER Shadowscapes??!?!!

Guest libra

On 8/9/2020 at 3:33 AM, Decan said:

I don't know but wikipedia says it is one of the main websites in Czech Republic

On 8/9/2020 at 5:07 AM, reall said:

I think Chez is EU so it should be legit shop?:) also pic shows author name 2piece box & gilded edges so imo it's good indicator deck is original as pirates don't have any of these!:)

Also heureka just list item details & shops where you can order it?:)

Btw not sure these shops have paypal?:)

Thanks, Decan and Irena! It does seem legit, but as far as I can tell (through the dubious magic of Google Translate) it seems to be a local Czech Republic affair. *sigh*

Found this deck on three Czech online shops, but all of them have only local delivery 😞  damn

Do you think there’s any hope that Llewellyn will publish the same edition in the US?

4 hours ago, Deni said:

Found this deck on three Czech online shops, but all of them have only local delivery 😞  damn

Do you think there’s any hope that Llewellyn will publish the same edition in the US?

You can order directly from the Czech publisher: https://www.synergiepublishing.com/cs/shop/karty/tarot/000116_tarot-skrytych-svetu.php

When you checkout, it will redirect you to Kosmas, which seems to be a Czech bookstore. They ship internationally, and the shipping costs vary from 20-30 USD, depending on whether you choose economy or priority. I live in the US and ordered my copy this way. It takes a REALLY long time though!

4 hours ago, Grandma said:

Awesome, thank you!  How long is REALLY long and do they provide a tracking number?

So far, it's been a whole month! It was shipped on December 15th, and it reached the US on January 6th, so it was around the holidays also. It appears that it was released from US customs a few days ago, so I should be getting it pretty soon... And yes, they do give you a tracking number, and yes, I've been obsessively tracking it.

Oh dear, this deck is listed as being 77 x 127 mm, which is 3 x 5 inches.  Mine is 2.75 x 4.5 inches, not significantly smaller at all.  Disappointedly, I will pass.

Okay, I went ahead and ordered it, and though I was never sent the tracking info, the deck arrived in good order. They packed it *quite* well, even wrapped it in a pair of magazines so anyone peaking inside wouldn't see the actual contents easily, and slicing through the box wouldn't risk damaging the deck. 10/10 on the shipping. It comes in a very nice 2-part box with a mini guidebook (as opposed to the larger book you tend to get in the US).

As to the deck. The card stock is MUCH higher quality than the original; I don't know the actual weight but it feels the same as my Prisma Visions 5th Ed. deck. The gold foiling is a very lovely touch. The cards *don't* have the faint silver foil that my 1st Edition does.

About my deck comparison pictures: my US copy of Shadowscapes is from the first print run, one of the pre-orders. I lost the box ages ago, so I took to storing it in a bag and I was reluctant to use it too much lest it get damaged. As a result the cards have very little light exposure. In comparing the two:

- The 1st Ed. colors are overall much darker, some are more blurry in printing, some a little muddier

- The Czech edition cards are universally sharper and lighter

This has two main results: details show up better on the darker cards of the Czech printing, but, some of the lighter cards in the Czech printing are a little washed out compared to their originals. (They still look lovely, IMO, but side by side to a 1st Ed. the difference is significant.)

shadowscapes_comparison.thumb.jpg.5d56dac075c94fa1204116b44e257a34.jpg

Overall, this works well as a 'workhorse' copy of this deck to have; it'll hold up *much* better, and didn't cost all that much for getting quality in a legitimate copy of the deck. I'm happy with my purchase, even if it's not the gold standard of a larger Shadowscapes so many of us long for.

ps: The box is *so lovely*, I'm tempted to put my original into it and put the Czech deck into a bag:

shadowscapes_box.jpg.39f056aafa46b058cb97d77c96a25250.jpg

Edited by Niobium
box image

I have only this version of the Shadowscapes and I don't need or want the Llewellyn version after experiencing this. The cardstock is lovely, and I find I don't have to strain my eyes much to make out the details, I like the little bit of gloss too. And the box is beautiful. So sturdy and just the right size to hold the cards. I'm glad I don't have to find another storage for the cards.

AJ-ish/Sharyn

thank you for taking the time to show the comparisons and review the cardstock Mokona. What magazines did you get? 🙂 

I didn’t get how to order on Czech website - it is all in Czech lol.

But I found this deck on eBay from US seller for $85. Is it a normal price? Is this version worth it?

6 hours ago, Deni said:

But I found this deck on eBay from US seller for $85. Is it a normal price? Is this version worth it?

$85 is way too pricey. I ordered from the Czech website (the browser I use is google chrome so google translate automatically translates pages that aren't in English for me.) 

It cost me around $40 with shipping to India. Without shipping factored in, it costs as much as a mass-market deck, because that's what it is- just a mass-market deck by a different publisher. And depending on where you are in world shipping might be a lot lower for you.

After you add it to the basket and checkout, you'll be asked to choose payment and shipping methods, then you'll be sent emails with all the info- how to complete your payment if you haven't, your order details etc. The emails are in czech but Gmail has the option to translate emails when you view them. Even if I didn't have that option, I'd just copy and paste into a translator.

I've attached a snip of the (translated) email I got after paying, putting my address and choosing a shipping method. 

Here is the deck on Synergie's website; you click the red cart button to add it to cart and then it gives you the option to complete the purchase on Kosmas's website. I've included a snip/screenshot of that too. After you go to Kosmas's website, you'll be given methods of payment and shipping after you choose your destination. You can see in my third snip that I chose India. For payment method I recommend choosing the Online card payment option, my Mastercard was accepted for paying through that (Paypal isn't an option.)

On 1/29/2021 at 8:01 PM, AJ-ish/Sharyn said:

thank you for taking the time to show the comparisons and review the cardstock Mokona. What magazines did you get? 🙂 

I think you were replying to Niobium, but since I bought my deck from the same source, I did get mine with a magazine around it too- it was a Synergie catalogue. All the books it advertised were Czech anyway, but it served its purpose in protecting the deck during delivery.

Screenshot 2021-01-31 at 11.44.03 AM.png

Screenshot 2021-01-31 at 11.50.13 AM.png

Screenshot 2021-01-31 at 11.56.56 AM.png

Edited by Mokona

15 hours ago, Deni said:

$85 is definitely too pricey. You definitely should order from the Czech publisher directly. Like with @Mokona I also have Google automatically translate my websites. 

I am located in the US, and I paid around $42 including shipping to the US. I paid for Economy shipping, and it took 5 weeks to get to me: 3 weeks to get from the Czech Republic to the United States, and then another 2 weeks to clear and leave customs to arrive in my mailbox. (I also ordered it a few weeks before Christmas.) Mine also was packaged very well with Czech book catalogues wrapped around it. 

Below are some pictures that I took a few weeks ago. I don't know which Llewellyn edition I have, but mine is on the thick, cardboardy stock that hurts your fingers when you shuffle, not the thin, glossy, flexible stock that Llewellyn uses now. The Czech version for me feels bluer in tone and deeper in color, but also more uniformly crisp and the images are sharper, like @Niobium said.

I love this Czech version so much. The pictures below don't quite capture the differences that you would experience in person. The Czech version, albeit only slightly larger, figuratively and literally feels much larger. The images just seem like they have more room to breathe and feel more expansive. It feels like an indie treatment of a mass-market deck (that Shadowscapes rightfully deserves), even though it is just another mass-market version by another publisher, like @Mokona said.

20210123_115539.thumb.jpg.0b7404fc6bc44ac888a9465b60b69bf7.jpg

20210123_120250.thumb.jpg.a7d2a6d520320527721b3e3c1f0c90e4.jpg

20210123_121400.thumb.jpg.9a72234953cb3eea4b02f413b5070a9e.jpg

20210123_121531.thumb.jpg.f96825c020ae2a53f91ac164dda0a5c3.jpg

20210123_115501.thumb.jpg.fa3df66c7f9063377cd7ae1114fc12ea.jpg

15 hours ago, Mokona said:

$85 is way too pricey. I ordered from the Czech website (the browser I use is google chrome so google translate automatically translates pages that aren't in English for me.) 

It cost me around $40 with shipping to India. Without shipping factored in, it costs as much as a mass-market deck, because that's what it is- just a mass-market deck by a different publisher. And depending on where you are in world shipping might be a lot lower for you.

After you add it to the basket and checkout, you'll be asked to choose payment and shipping methods, then you'll be sent emails with all the info- how to complete your payment if you haven't, your order details etc. The emails are in czech but Gmail has the option to translate emails when you view them. Even if I didn't have that option, I'd just copy and paste into a translator.

I've attached a snip of the (translated) email I got after paying, putting my address and choosing a shipping method. 

Here is the deck on Synergie's website; you click the red cart button to add it to cart and then it gives you the option to complete the purchase on Kosmas's website. I've included a snip/screenshot of that too. After you go to Kosmas's website, you'll be given methods of payment and shipping after you choose your destination. You can see in my third snip that I chose India. For payment method I recommend choosing the Online card payment option, my Mastercard was accepted for paying through that (Paypal isn't an option.)

I think you were replying to Niobium, but since I bought my deck from the same source, I did get mine with a magazine around it too- it was a Synergie catalogue. All the books it advertised were Czech anyway, but it served its purpose in protecting the deck during delivery.

Screenshot 2021-01-31 at 11.44.03 AM.png

Screenshot 2021-01-31 at 11.50.13 AM.png

Screenshot 2021-01-31 at 11.56.56 AM.png

I was able to put it in my cart, and the price is indeed reasonable, but there is no right way to enter a US address. Unless I'm missing something...

1 hour ago, queenofwans said:

I love this Czech version so much. The pictures below don't quite capture the differences that you would experience in person. The Czech version, albeit only slightly larger, figuratively and literally feels much larger. The images just seem like they have more room to breathe and feel more expansive. It feels like an indie treatment of a mass-market deck (that Shadowscapes rightfully deserves), even though it is just another mass-market version by another publisher, like @Mokona said.

Oh my, this version is awesome! I can’t wait to grab it 😍

1 hour ago, FLizarraga said:

was able to put it in my cart, and the price is indeed reasonable, but there is no right way to enter a US address.

Same here. 

I’m almost ready to add extra $40 to buy it from local seller. My collector’s addiction is Fighting with my inner greed 😂

Edited by Deni

On 1/29/2021 at 6:31 AM, AJ-ish/Sharyn said:

Oh, that was me, with the magazines. 😄 It turns out they were catalogues for the publisher (or so goes our guess--we were basing this off images as we don't speak Czech.)

$85 is definitely too much. I paid about $50 all told (deck + shipping). Google Translate got me through the site.

@FLizarraga @Deni So, this tripped me up a couple of times. When you go to check out, you'll see this:

image.thumb.png.b05a31e99bfae860e44f71c066f36302.png

The part where it says 'Czech Republic' is a dropdown.

image.thumb.png.60f3159f4072999d0bc63dbebdb088d2.png

image.thumb.png.1528b429b155a7f239e9bc00a2c581d5.png

and then when you select the first payment type:

image.thumb.png.fe3c3d3d11ac052eddf3284d3578c1d3.png

Economic shipping with the deck comes out to about $41 today (with the exchange rate).

Edited by Niobium

Thank you for telling us about this version. It is absolutely beautiful. So good to get a better view of the art, and I'm a sucker for edges!
I wish I'd returned to this thread to see your advice about the drop down box, Niobium. It cost me a few grey hairs and back and forth to Google translate, but I got there in the end. It arrived today 😁

18 hours ago, Niobium said:

So, this tripped me up a couple of times. When you go to check out, you'll see this:

Thank you for that guide! 

It really helps. 

I’m gonna use it to order second deck to make it borderless 😁

Meanwhile I ordered from US seller with ‘best offer’ option (I bargained for $70!) to make it fast (I cannnooottt waaaaiittt lol)  

On 1/31/2021 at 7:38 PM, Niobium said:

Oh, that was me, with the magazines. 😄 It turns out they were catalogues for the publisher (or so goes our guess--we were basing this off images as we don't speak Czech.)

$85 is definitely too much. I paid about $50 all told (deck + shipping). Google Translate got me through the site.

@FLizarraga @Deni So, this tripped me up a couple of times. When you go to check out, you'll see this:

image.thumb.png.b05a31e99bfae860e44f71c066f36302.png

The part where it says 'Czech Republic' is a dropdown.

image.thumb.png.60f3159f4072999d0bc63dbebdb088d2.png

image.thumb.png.1528b429b155a7f239e9bc00a2c581d5.png

and then when you select the first payment type:

image.thumb.png.fe3c3d3d11ac052eddf3284d3578c1d3.png

Economic shipping with the deck comes out to about $41 today (with the exchange rate).

Thank you for this! I'm used to websites being laid out a certain way, and I should have realized that different languages and cultures arrange things differently.

10 hours ago, FLizarraga said:

Thank you for this! I'm used to websites being laid out a certain way, and I should have realized that different languages and cultures arrange things differently.

Sure thing! It caught me off guard as well. 

Ohhh, Shadowscapes is one of my absolute favorite decks and I'm happy to see there's a larger version! Thanks to everyone who posted pictures. They look amazing and I definitely plan on getting one for myself soon. I'm awed by just how bigger the artwork looks even though the difference in card size isn't even much. Wow!

How has the gold gilding held up, by the way?

On 2/2/2021 at 7:59 PM, Niobium said:

Sure thing! It caught me off guard as well. 

Thanks for all the ordering info, really appreciate it as well!

12 hours ago, midrena said:

Ohhh, Shadowscapes is one of my absolute favorite decks and I'm happy to see there's a larger version! Thanks to everyone who posted pictures. They look amazing and I definitely plan on getting one for myself soon. I'm awed by just how bigger the artwork looks even though the difference in card size isn't even much. Wow!

How has the gold gilding held up, by the way?

Thanks for all the ordering info, really appreciate it as well!

Mine's been doing fine--it's the smooth gilding, not the matte kind which seems to easily flake. And yw!

On 3/26/2019 at 7:36 PM, FLizarraga said:

I know I'm pretty late to the party, but I just discovered this edition. Unfortunately, it seems to be OOP already, or at least really hard to get.

I adore this deck, and I think it's one of the most beautiful decks ever, hands down, but I had to let go of mine because of the size. To my eyes --and my close range vision is still pretty good-- the cards were nothing but tiny lavender blurs...

Update regarding Big Shadowscapes Tarot for everyone sharing quoted sentiment I got reply from artist:

"it’s completely up to publisher~ Llewellyn worldwide & best to write them about interest as it’s not something artist have control over!"

so im thinking if someone can contact publisher & ask them for Limited edt Big Art Card licence we could have ks to make it happen?!💖

eta also happy this artis is creating new Verdant Tarot!

here is topic i started;

Edited by reall

4 hours ago, reall said:

Update regarding Big Shadowscapes Tarot for everyone sharing quoted sentiment I got reply from artist:

"it’s completely up to publisher~ Llewellyn worldwide & best to write them about interest as it’s not something artist have control over!"

so im thinking if someone can contact publisher & ask them for Limited edt Big Art Card licence we could have ks to make it happen?!💖

Maybe something like a petition would be easier to organise? Rather than asking everyone to email individually, everyone interested could 'sign' a google doc or something? Does that sound reasonable or ridiculous to anyone?

4 hours ago, Siavahda said:

Maybe something like a petition would be easier to organise? Rather than asking everyone to email individually, everyone interested could 'sign' a google doc or something? Does that sound reasonable or ridiculous to anyone?

Absolutelly Great idea i support 100%! 💖