chongjasmine

How do you remember the cards' meanings?

Raggydoll
3 minutes ago, Nordica De Spell said:

@Raggydoll, that sounds so creative and fun! (Unfortunately I can’t see the picture you posted.)

———

For me, learning the Major Arcana has been pretty straight-forward. The minor; there are lots of cards where I’m still learning. Aside from having looked at the cards, I’ve found that for me, nothing beats a powerful spread in remembering the individual cards. (And since I got here, I think that that works better when reading for others, than when reading for myself.)

So, just to research the cards as I go along, and remember them in the context of the various spreads.

I took the picture on my phone but realized after posting just how blurry it was. I intend to take a better picture later!

Magrataya

I struggled with learning the card meanings as well for many years. I finally started to make progress when I began taking notes of all my readings. Not only which cards I drew but also the deck, the question, the spread and its positions and a few words about the situation that the question refers to. Looking back, I recognized patterns: The same cards coming up always in connection with a certain topic, events that have been foreshadowed which I only understood in hindsight by keeping track of all readings. It still amazes me and helps me to learn.

Grizabella

I found it helpful to memorize the suits and their association:

Cups-emotions

Swords-thoughts

Wands-passion

Pentacles-down to earth everyday stuff

That's kind of a spare list but it did help.

Then giving the Court cards as dealing with age

Page-young child around 12 years old

Knight-older teen or young adult

Queen-adult woman of any age

King-adult man of any age

For instance, if you had asked a question like "how does X feel about me" and you drew the Page of Cups I could see that meaning that the person feels as though you're immature or that they felt "puppy love" for you. That's just a simple example but maybe it helps.

JohnLetter
On 1/31/2019 at 11:51 AM, Cookie said:

Memorise a couple of key words or symbolic meaning or colour associations

Decan
Posted (edited)

Concerning this topic I list keywords that I find relevant.

But it’s something which can evolve a bit because I change sometimes a keyword for another that I find more relevant or add one that highlights a particular aspect of the card. Actually it’s something still in progress.

Edited by Decan

McFaire
On 6/3/2019 at 6:38 AM, Raggydoll said:

While I tend to only do intuitive readings these days, I still spent many years studying the traditional meanings. I actually compiled my own handwritten tarot book some years ago. It has two pages of information for every card. The first page contains quotes from esoteric texts and also has all the symbolism analyzed. The second page has my favorite keywords for upright/reversed and shadow meanings (that’s a concept I came up with myself, out of experience, and it was mainly utilized for readings without reversals). I put the whole thing in a binder and printed out RWS illustrations for each of the cards that I decorated the pages with (and that really helped me to remember the traditional depictions too). I used 5 tabs (majors + the four suits), so it’s very straightforward and easy to navigate. I still reference it at times, especially for the esoteric symbols and quotes, and I’m very pleased with how it turned out. But it took a long time to make. I compiled quotes and meanings in notebooks for many years until I finally dedicated myself to create this binder. It then took me several weeks to transcribe everything. So what I’m saying is that it took me a long time of study and repetition before I had it all in my head. These days I’m allowing my mind to roam free and that feels great, but I don’t think I would be at this place if I had skipped all those years of studies. Things unfolded in a very organic way. 

(I was going to take a better pic but got too lazy)

6DBCD20F-60DB-4734-A369-4B565A1194B1.jpeg

A tarot grimoire! I have one too, but it's far from complete. But this is a great way to learn tarot, especially when viewed as a long-term project. Just add pages at your own pace as your journey unfolds. I like to draw symbols and little pictures. I also have some pages for card comparisons--where two or more cards have similar meanings, comparing and contrasting them.

McFaire
On 2/2/2019 at 9:32 PM, Rose Lalonde said:

Lay out the minors by suit and look at the differences in the sorts of scenes shown for each. Come up with a noun for each suit that you think best describes it. For example, "connection" is just one possible example for the Cups.

Now lay out the four Aces. What do the pictures have in common? What do you think that symbolizes? Try to sum up the energy of the Aces as best you can with one adjective or descriptive verb.  Then do the same with the Twos, threes, etc. For example "volatile" or "polarising" for Fives. (If you get stuck, there's a page with some ideas here.)

Now you can put 2 words together. For example, if you were to choose "volatile" for fives and "connection" for Cups, the 5 of Cups would be "volatile connection." The 5 of Swords would be "volatile" and your keyword for Swords.

This is a great method for learning the minor arcana. As you point out, it's not meant to be a set of "rules" that you then have to follow, but rather just a learning tool.

By developing a good understanding of the suits, and then a good understand of what the numbers Ace through Ten symbolize, you can then see how the 40 minor arcana work together as a system. I found it a lot easier to remember the individual cards when I began to look at each one in terms of its place in this system.

In my personal tarot book, my "tarot grimoire," I have some charts that I use to develop my key ideas for each card, and I organize them by numbers across the top and suits own. I always feel I understand the cards much better in terms of how they relate to the whole system.

This also leads you to considering which cards/suits are not present in a reading, which can be very revealing as well.

Sarah Love
On 6/3/2019 at 6:38 AM, Raggydoll said:

While I tend to only do intuitive readings these days, I still spent many years studying the traditional meanings. I actually compiled my own handwritten tarot book some years ago. It has two pages of information for every card. The first page contains quotes from esoteric texts and also has all the symbolism analyzed. The second page has my favorite keywords for upright/reversed and shadow meanings (that’s a concept I came up with myself, out of experience, and it was mainly utilized for readings without reversals). I put the whole thing in a binder and printed out RWS illustrations for each of the cards that I decorated the pages with (and that really helped me to remember the traditional depictions too). I used 5 tabs (majors + the four suits), so it’s very straightforward and easy to navigate. I still reference it at times, especially for the esoteric symbols and quotes, and I’m very pleased with how it turned out. But it took a long time to make. I compiled quotes and meanings in notebooks for many years until I finally dedicated myself to create this binder. It then took me several weeks to transcribe everything. So what I’m saying is that it took me a long time of study and repetition before I had it all in my head. These days I’m allowing my mind to roam free and that feels great, but I don’t think I would be at this place if I had skipped all those years of studies. Things unfolded in a very organic way. 

(I was going to take a better pic but got too lazy)

I think it is so cool to see the dedication that you have to this craft. It is an inspiration! I love that you gave a sneak peek. Do you have to look back often now?

I think it is so cool to see the dedication that you have to this craft. It is an inspiration! I love that you gave a sneak peek. Do you have to look back often now? Thank you for sharing!

Lee3

@Raggydoll your book idea is definitely something that I am going to start and what I would give to look inside this grimoire , give it a hundred years and a dusty attic and I’d be living the dream 😁 .

but seriously it is an amazing idea and such a possession to hold 

Raggydoll
1 hour ago, Sarah Love said:

I think it is so cool to see the dedication that you have to this craft. It is an inspiration! I love that you gave a sneak peek. Do you have to look back often now? Thank you for sharing!

Thank you! I do look back in it from time to time, not necessarily because I have to but because it is so fun. I wrote a lot of good stuff in there and I like to have a nostalgic moment with it. I also have another 'tarot grimoire/notebook' that I finished. It is a book completely dedicated to the Major Arcana, and I have gathered quotes, notes and important symbolism about each card. That book is one that I often take out because I cannot keep it all in my head. Back when I was very into analyzing the RWS tarot based on AE Waite and his Pictorial Key, that's when I copied down the most fascinating passages and tried to find their original resources (Waite did a lot of hinting toward other texts, sometimes it was his own work, other times it was the work of other occultists, but it could also be references to the bible or even Shakespeare. And I wrote as much of what I could decipher down into that book).

edit: I might as well give you a sneak peek into this book as well. It’s not a secret grimoire, it’s just a collection of what was then my favorite quotes/texts on all the majors. It was a fun project and I made sure to have room to add more stuff in the future. (And please excuse my handwriting, I never intended anyone else to see it 😂)

CC77071A-71B1-48C7-8BBB-B0DD2ED1E71D.jpeg

A475065E-DC6A-447F-BF13-8F71E83F67C8.jpeg

Raggydoll
21 minutes ago, Lee3 said:

@Raggydoll your book idea is definitely something that I am going to start and what I would give to look inside this grimoire , give it a hundred years and a dusty attic and I’d be living the dream 😁 .

but seriously it is an amazing idea and such a possession to hold 

Thank you! I don't know if it is THAT interesting. But sure, some of it is pretty good 😁. I am certain that your grimoire will be just as much of a treasure! 

katrinka

Osmosis, lol.

It just takes time. The 10,000 hour rule applies. Start with just a couple of keywords for each card, keep it simple at first and build on that gradually. Go through your deck and decide if each card is basically positive, neutral, or negative. Practice readings with the book for awhile, put the book away for a week and practice, get the book out again and repeat. Again. Think about the cards when you're not using them: when something happens, IRL or in a book or movie, ask yourself which cards might describe it. Practice putting the same spread into different contexts: love, health, money, etc. 

Again, be patient. It takes some years to really get fluent (you're learning a language, after all), and there's always room for improvement!

katrinka

And don't think you have to learn everything at once. I'm just now digging into some of the Hermetic stuff, and I started a lonnnnng time ago.

Raggydoll, I like the quotes. Definitely something worth doing!

Raggydoll
13 hours ago, katrinka said:

And don't think you have to learn everything at once. I'm just now digging into some of the Hermetic stuff, and I started a lonnnnng time ago.

Raggydoll, I like the quotes. Definitely something worth doing!

Thank you! I have actually thought about sharing my collection of quotes at some point. Just never knew if anyone else would find it interesting. I have a lot of bible quotes in there too, and that is because of how Waite hinted to different biblical passages. Im not religious myself but I still find it interesting to read because it show what type of ideas he had in mind when he created his deck. And while he had a catholic upbringing, there was still (in my humble opinion) a very modern and very controversial twist to how he approached and incorporated those passages. But I won’t go off on a tangent since that is not the topic here. I just wanted to show how I learned tarot  - and these projects was an important part of that. They helped me both grasp the common card meanings as well as the more esoteric symbolism and layers of each card. 

AfternoonTarot

I assembled notebooks too, in the beginning, and still read them just for the pleasure of it.  They include quotes, lists, pictures, historical references, and tidbits from popular culture during my lifetime as well as some of my own analyses, reflections, and ideas.  I just found it so helpful when first learning to immerse myself with each card in this way.  

I also used a one-page cheat sheet that I created with a few select words and phrases for each card to have near me while practicing.

Eric

I have notebooks and write notes in books Ive bought, just like college! But I have found the best way to learn and remember is to do actual readings for people. Friends and family to practice with, and let them know you're practicing so if you need to use notes or a book, until you really understand the essence of each card and even come up with your own ideas, which is the best way to learn what the cards mean, then go right ahead. 

chanap

On websites  i read about story / connection for ace to ten for each type (wand, pentacle, sword and cup), read major arcanas and court cards.

Its difficult all in one go but if you read them as story line, its a bit easier to connect them.

i also read keywords for them and try to remember.

I also analyse photo / picture on card to map with keywords to remember them.

Still i have to go back to check while reading....