Skip to content

Mystical Shaman Oracle - Alberto Villoldo and Colette Baron-Reid

Featured Replies

On 7/14/2026 at 12:35 PM, Marina said:

Thanks for sharing the thread once more, @Mi-Shell ! Do you still enjoy this deck, despite the authors being… problematic? Thanks!

Honestly - no, I do not use this one any more at all.

For my tastes -as they are at the moment - the images are too similar to other decks I have.

And - knowing what I know, I could not get rid of the "after taste"

On 7/16/2026 at 3:25 PM, Mi-Shell said:

Honestly - no, I do not use this one any more at all.

For my tastes -as they are at the moment - the images are too similar to other decks I have.

And - knowing what I know, I could not get rid of the "after taste"

Oh dear, such a shame to read about what's-his-name.

Such things however - tend not to influence the tools I use.

So... I can't wait for the deck to arrive now 😁

So... @Marina it is indeed quite Susan-Seddon-Bulet ish.

And... I like it!

There are a couple of cards I don't like (don't know why yet) which I may omit from the deck... or, change my mind, once I've studied them more closely.

And the card stock is thin for the pocket version, which is what I have.

But I will very happily use this easily an an oracle.

7 hours ago, Tanga said:

So... @Marina it is indeed quite Susan-Seddon-Bulet ish.

And... I like it!

That is the impression I got too! I think I may give this oracle a chance.

What about the book? Is it any good?

7 hours ago, Tanga said:

There are a couple of cards I don't like (don't know why yet) which I may omit from the deck... or, change my mind, once I've studied them more closely.

Uh-oh, why? Due to theme or imagery? If you don't mind sharing, of course!

@Marina Give me a while with the book. I haven't read it yet.

As for the cards I've taken out... it's something to do with the image itself & also the card label not matching up with the image.

'Water' is depicted in a circle (there are ALOT of circles in the artwork) - & I find that annoying. 'Fire' is also in a circle - 🧐. 'Sacrifice' & 'The Giveaway' both have ladies "offering hands up to the sky" - & somehow neither of these say that adequately to me.

I didn't like 'Thunder'... until I noticed that under the circle which is supposed to contain thunder (πŸ™„), there is a group of running wilderbeast. Oh... they're not called wilderbeest... they're what?.... Gnus!

Now - I can see how the sound of racing Gnus can be THUNDER πŸ‘ŠπŸ½ πŸ™ƒ

See what I mean?

Your mileage may differ (as they say), depending on how the images strike you.

Edited by Tanga

On 7/26/2026 at 7:54 AM, Tanga said:

'Water' is depicted in a circle (there are ALOT of circles in the artwork) - & I find that annoying. 'Fire' is also in a circle...

...the circle which is supposed to contain thunder (πŸ™„)

Not a deck for the circle-phobics then! rofl

I suppose the deck has to make sense according to our inner symbolic language, and this is always a very individual thing.

Nevertheless, I may still give this one a chance!

One last question: is the artwork clear enough, even in the pocket edition?

@Marina artwork is a little small with the pocket deck size...the images have quite alot of detail (hence me missing noticing the Gnus at 1st) - but these days I mostly need my glasses for everything anyway.

Have you looked on youtube for any flip throughs/reviews of the deck to watch?

This is how I mostly check out decks before I buy.

*I would post some images, except my laptop is in the hospital presently, & I don't know how to do this on my mobile.

Edited by Tanga

On 7/29/2026 at 7:04 AM, Tanga said:

Have you looked on youtube for any flip throughs/reviews of the deck to watch?

This is how I mostly check out decks before I buy.

That's a good idea! I will look for some flip through videos.

I'll also see if I can find anyone actually using the deck, I love seeing decks in action!

Thank you so much for everything you have shared so far, @Tanga !

MysticalShaman1.jpg

MysticalShaman2.jpg

@Marina I've changed my mind about Water now that I've studied it closer.

I’ve found the cards beautiful and intuitive, but I share worries about cultural appropriation and the authors’ commercial turn.

On 9/7/2026 at 3:13 PM, Hillarylotreutel said:

I’ve found the cards beautiful and intuitive, but I share worries about cultural appropriation and the authors’ commercial turn.

Yes, I have heard this concern on the internet too! I am not sure how much CBR's collaborators are connected to native communities… nor how much the concepts used in the deck are indeed appropriated from native cultures, or are just more general archetypes with a shaman-y clothing, so to speak. bubble_bhmm I guess I'll have to see it for myself.

And finally, I am getting the pocket edition of the deck! I am very attracted to the artwork, and I confess my only experience with a CBR's deck (The Wisdom of the Hidden Realms, which remains to this day one of my favourites) has been very positive, so I want to give it try.

On 7/31/2026 at 6:52 AM, Tanga said:

I've changed my mind about Water now that I've studied it closer.

Ohhh interesting! What happened?

Did you try to read with the deck? I can’t wait for my copy to arrive, so I can discuss it better bubble_blol

I’ve found the cards beautiful and intuitive, but I share worries about cultural appropriation and the authors’ commercial turn.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions β†’ Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.