78 Weeks of Tarot: The Magician

Trogon

Hi Again!  Second post of three.  In this post, I'm just going to give you the card from my chosen deck, and the text from the guidebook.  My thoughts in post three.

Magic

Sun-winds stroke the strings of a Sitar--
the songs of the birds -- air vibrates and pulsates --
it resonates through the mask - I AM.
The soul glides into the new body--
Always new self-configurations.
Knowledge of the essence of the elements.
Fire - earth- air- water.
Quicksilver dance of tones.
Memory of oneness of being [Einssein].
Audible breath.
I AM.

IMG_2890.jpeg

Edited to add this poem, which a friend found to echo Margarete's poem:

Rilke: Sonnets to Orpheus II, 29

Silent friend of many distances, feel

how your breath enlarges all of space.

Let your presence ring out like a bell

into the night. What feeds upon your face

grows mighty from the nourishment thus offered.

Move through transformation, out and in.

What is the deepest loss that you have suffered?

If drinking is bitter, change yourself to wine.

In this immeasurable darkness, be the power

that rounds your senses in this magic ring,

the sense of their mysterious encounter.

And if the earthly no longer knows your name,

whisper to the silent earth: I'm flowing.

To the flashing water say: I am.

Edited by Gardener

Here it is, the post in which I actually discuss my experience with this card.

I had a strong feeling response to this card, that the mask of the Shaman embodies the spirit, that the wind is the breath of spirit blowing through, the wind bringing sound and life to the mask.  But that was my whole reading.  I was getting worried - what would I post on Saturday?  Have you noticed that some of us believe we must post on the first day of the week, Sunday, while other of us go right up to the Saturday night deadline?  I like spending the week mulling over the card, before I start to type.  I’m trying to meditate with each card, too.  My journey for this study is not really going to be an academic analysis of Golden Dawn symbolism.  I’m really glad many of you are taking that approach, so I can learn from you.  But this deck is not like that.  This deck is frankly shamanic, and you are going to hear a lot about Jung and shamanism from me.

Looking for inspiration, I reviewed the AT forum study initiated by Firemaiden.  There I learned that the mask is in the shape of the gourd of a sitar, which also makes sound when played by the wind.  There was some discussion whether the mask hides the face of a less than honest magician, but to me this is clearly a shaman’s mask, identifying the spirit that she communicates with.  The spirit travels through her.  She makes music, and the music is magical, is infused with spirit.

Also from the AT forum came this contribution from Moongold:  He establishes the rapport of the personal effort with the spiritual reality.  If we do not make this link between personal, practical effort and spiritual reality then it all means nothing.

That comment struck me like a bell.  For the last 12 days I have been trying to establish a personal spiritual practice, in accordance with instructions from my new yoga teacher training curriculum.  I’ve been struggling with this.  As you will have all guessed, I struggle with imposed structure.  I remember being told how to worship in Sunday school as a child, and it didn’t take.  I’ve been on my own meandering spiritual path ever since, sampling the spiritual supermarket.  A pre-packaged spiritual practice from a yoga teacher I admire seemed promising.  In fact, it seemed irresistable.  No more wandering, no more listening to vague and incoherent urges.  This wonderful spiritual person will show me how to do it right!

As you will have guessed, it hasn’t been simple for me, these last 12 days.  There has been a lot of soul searching as I struggle with mantra, pranayama, the Yoga Sutras, and so on.  I’ve counter-balanced this effort by exploring shamanism, as you can see.

Slowly, I am building a synthesis.  I think it’ll take a few months, but the yoga elements and the shamanic elements are starting to talk to each other.

The purpose of my journey with this deck, which for me commences with Magic, is “to keep open a space for the sacred being which wants to come alive, develop, expand, creatively contribute and bring its own calling and purpose into society.  [My] being can come alive, become whole, and live a healthful and satisfying life if it is aligned with its own center, its own heart, from which the life forward energies arise, and if it is solidly connected to body, and earth, society and Spirit.”  From Jung and Shamanism in Dialogue

As we move further into our chosen decks, each on a parallel journey of internal exploration, you will hear more about my fusion of shamanism and yoga.  For now I’ll leave you with the thoughts of Black Elk, “Peace comes in within the souls of men when they realize their relationship, their oneness with the universe and all its powers, and when they realize that at the center of the universe dwells Wakan Tanka, and that this center is really everywhere, it is within each of us.”

@Rupicapra 🤣🤣🤣🤣... BURT REYNOLDS! I loved the story... it made me feel like I was in a video game. I've just passed the first stage, and Burt is telling me what is coming next. 
Actually, what you said about intention was very interesting, I really enjoyed that little journey of thought it took me on. Good word - intention. Feels different to the word 'will' which is often used when talking of The Magician. Intention seems more focused, and yet less forced perhaps? Either way, I really liked what you did there. Gave me a good few moments of happy pondering.

@Gardener Your cards are so interesting! I love the idea of finding synchronicity between Shamanism and Yoga. I have studied both to a point, but never considered melding them. I come from Shamanic blood lines and have fond memories of journeying with my cousins when I was a child, and still do occasionally. I've oddly never been drawn to Shamanic Tarot decks, but I especially liked the ladies in the Ironwing Tarot - bringing their feminine energy. Wonderful cards to meditate with!

5 minutes ago, Grace said:

Good word - intention. Feels different to the word 'will' which is often used when talking of The Magician. Intention seems more focused, and yet less forced perhaps?

It's a Very Good Word.
I have all I can do not to go back and edit my Magician and Ace of Rods, lol. I'm sticking with what I wrote, but intention is also very relevant with the 1's.

6 hours ago, Grace said:

it made me feel like I was in a video game. I've just passed the first stage, and Burt is telling me what is coming next. 

Oooooh hahahah I love this so much!!!! 😄  

I absolutely enjoy the 78 weeks, I have to say it again. I kinda have to wait with reading the earlier posts for each card until I posted mine, else I get a bit distracted - i get easily distracted! But really guys,  I'm learning so much! @Grace has so much info from the occult-ish sciency kinda side, it's way above my head but I'm loving it! @Flaxen you are making the Tabula Mundi a lot more approachable to me! @surreal @katrinka and @Kati I'm so excited by all the different aspects! I hope all don't mind if I take some notes for my own personal card interpretation book thingy. @Gardener thank you for sharing so much personal background about the card. And thank you for the Rilke Poem. If anybody is interested here is a nice reading in German on youTube. Rilke poems always hit me right in the heart, in the most amazing way ever. And this one will linger with for the next few days I'm sure 💘

1 hour ago, Rupicapra said:

But really guys,  I'm learning so much!

I’ll echo this. It’s so interesting to read about everyone’s magicians and I like how all those different aspects add another layer of nuance. 

Deck - The Wildwood Tarot

Card name - The Shaman (Corresponds to RWS The Magician)

First impressions: 

• Magical staff
  • Tattoos on his arms, seems to be the same symbols found on the stones in The Sun of Life, The World Tree and Ace of Stones. 
  • On the rock in front of him: Horn cup (water), burning herbs/twigs (fire), flint knife (earth), skull rattle (air)
  • Bearskin with head and claws still on it
  • Figures on his robe
  • Skull in the tree behind
  • Moss covered stones and tree trunks and old dead wood indicating they have been there a long time - perhaps a bit like him with his long, white, wisemans beard
  • Looks like he's casting a spell. Looks like he's deep in the woods where it is dark and damp.
  • Barefoot
  • Open-eyed

From The Wildwood Tarot book

"...whatever awakens your desire to return to the wild, the Shaman within you is ready for initiation into the mysteries. this may manifest itself in the form of a desire to study an esoteric science or philosophy and apply what you learn to the world. It may involve travel for the sake of gaining confidence and experience. But however the desire to begin a new spiritual chapter emerges, you are now in an emotional and intellectual position to bring forth real change in your life for the benefit of everyone. This process of focussing, mediating and applying wisdom from the otherworld to everyday reality is the true work of the Shaman."

Images and Symbolism

Roebuck skull rattle (air)

Stone knife (earth)

Smoking bundle (fire)

Hollow antler-tine cup (water)

Bearskin adorned with Palaeolithic paintings of animal spirits taken from La Caverne des Trois Freres, in Ariege, France http://cavernesduvolp.com/en/grottedestroisfreres Apparantly in the caves one of the paintings is called the Sorcerer and that is what appears to be pictured on The Shaman's robe. Many tattoos - perhaps the "labyrinth of the inner universe and the otherworld of the universal mind" as mentioned in the book.

At the beginning of the week when I started studying this card I was, all at once, a little afraid but also in awe of this Shaman and was fascinated by all the items in the card, bracelets, the bird skull hanging in the tree behind him, the stones hanging on the ends of the fastening of his robe, the bear skin with it dangling claws. I wasn't sure if the dark space behind the Shaman was a cave, first of all I thought it was an old tree but looking closer I think it is a cave, there seems to be a stone pathway leading into it.

I had a little difficulty interpreting as I don't know this deck well and was trying to compare to the RWS magician but they seem to have little in common. He looks wild like the Wildwood and a bit scary but he looks wise, serious and full of wisdom. I would love to sit in the woods and talk with him for hours, ask him questions, learn from him and to be able to know just a tiny fraction of what he knows. Perhaps with this 78 week deep dive into the Wildwood tarot I can become more like the Shaman, always learning, studying, gathering knowledge and will eventually find my way through the labyrinth of my own inner universe.

01_TheShaman.jpg.77afe072390b0c8ad99d7a3e1f2e428d.jpg

8 hours ago, WildPlace said:

I had a little difficulty interpreting as I don't know this deck well and was trying to compare to the RWS magician but they seem to have little in common.

I don't have the Wildwood, but it's based on the Greenwood. If you get stuck, there's plenty of Greenwood material available online.  😉 Some of the cards are different, but I think most are pretty similar?
Here's an interview with Chesca Potter where she talks about some of the cards.
https://voicewithinthecards.wordpress.com/greenwood-tarot-book/

(That's Mi-Shell's blog, she's a member here. And the bonus is that there are Greenwood files you can have printed up, with the full permission of the artist.)

1 hour ago, katrinka said:

I don't have the Wildwood, but it's based on the Greenwood. If you get stuck, there's plenty of Greenwood material available online.  😉 Some of the cards are different, but I think most are pretty similar?
Here's an interview with Chesca Potter where she talks about some of the cards.
https://voicewithinthecards.wordpress.com/greenwood-tarot-book/

(That's Mi-Shell's blog, she's a member here. And the bonus is that there are Greenwood files you can have printed up, with the full permission of the artist.)

Thanks very much @katrinka i'll take a look. I do have the mentioned Greenwood file but have never printed them out.

I'm late, I'm late, etc.  Probably should have chosen the Alice in Wonderland tarot for my study. It's funny how the small things get magnified during a pandemic and Constitutional crisis in our government ....

The Phantasmagoric Theater Tarot's (PTT) Magician has a different meaning to me than the traditional. I usually see The Magician as someone who is in control and having a confident mastery of their environment. The PTT magician seem sot be a mess. A fitting symbol of the times we currently live in.

When I look at this card, I see extreme disorganization and chaos. There are several dice in the photo which makes me see the randomness of life. There is one puzzle piece which indicates "the missing piece from the puzzle", or, incompleteness. The clown face is missing an eye which looks to me like the Magician is faced with some handicap (although note the clown is still smiling which tells me that the wearer is either coping well, or, more likely, trying to set the illusion that everything is good). Also note that the tree, a symbol of life, is located behind the mountain, which shows to me that life is definitely manageable but there are some severe obstacles in the way. All in all, this Magician is not only not in control, but is at a loss on how to put their life together.

When you look at the Fool's Journey, our Fool from week one who has decided to take the safer route has now found themselves face with uncertainty. I see this as false confidence followed by the reality of one's situation. Nothing tragic, but definitely a reminder not to get to complacent when things are going well and to be aware that we should concentrate on what the Buddhists call "the Middle Path".

5NDegWSDQTqVhMBjB4z3lg.thumb.jpg.1a6e5e770217e35425d9c46561447c3b.jpg

20200819_152050.thumb.jpg.480c979e37c7f614c25703d7ba42ec28.jpg

1) Name the card: The Magician

2) Literal description: The magician, Hermes, stands at a crissroads in a bare desert landscape. This is a continuation of the land shown in The Fool and after boldly choosing to venture out, Dionysos has found Hermes. Four roads lead away from the place where Hermes stands and at his feet sit a large rock uopn which lay the four symbols of the elements; a cup, a wand (in the form of a cadeusus), a sword and a pentacle. Hermes wears a white tunic and a red cloak. He points his left hand up towards the sky and his right down towards the ground. We can't see the sky, but the lightning indicates daytime, possibly morning as there is fog or mist in the distsnce.

3) Emotions/Attitudes of the figures and Mood/Atmosphere of the environment: As mentioned in the description, the landscape is a continuation of the barren desert where we found Dionysos. Hermes appears calm and confident and although it's hard to interpret intelligence from an illustration he appears to be someone who "knows what he's talking about".

4) Brief myth of Hermes: God of magic and divination and bringer of good luck. He is also known to be a guide to travelers and the messenger of the gods. Hermes was given the gift of divination by his brother Apollo and thus became the master of the elements. He was always worshipped at crossroads where travelers, wanderers and the homeless erected statues to honor him.

Keywords and Phrases: [magician] Talents, capabilities, resources, transformation, manifestation, potential, choices, intuition. [number 1] Will, force, drive, unity, focus, action, vision, clarity, initiation, purpose, ambition.

@Contrascarpe this is the mots disillusioned Magician I've ever seen. 

On 9/14/2020 at 4:42 PM, Contrascarpe said:

A fitting symbol of the times we currently live in.

how true 😞 

@6xscorpio I'm glad you joined the Tough Cookies! I love Mythology! Hermes was also called a trickster by Homer, wasn't he? I think that is kinda fitting too 🙂 

@Rupicapra yes, Hermes was referred to as a trickster. I noted in my deck study that Hermes doesn't always respond when called and doesn't always attribute the same importance to situations as we do as examples of his tricky nature. 

Lady Butterfly

And, my Magicians are ready...

Tarot of Pagan Cats:

The Magician

IMG_0085.thumb.jpg.5f4dabe71810fe4d604e44ea511440a6.jpg

The Card Itself: There is a white cat wearing a red collar. He is sitting on a table with all his tools. All four the suits of the minor arcana are represented. The table has carvings of animals along the edge. He is surrounded by flowers and backed by a yellow background.

From the LWB: Using the skills and resources you have, including your understanding of how the world works, to achieve your goals. Reversed: Someone is tricking or conning someone.

Observations: This guy looks pleased with himself. The cat who got the milk. It looks like he is levitating the wand... mastery of his skills. The colours are happy and vibrant. The card makes me want to smile. I imagine the carvings of all the critters signify hunts that he has mastered, and prey he has caught. He knows what he is doing, and he knows how to get what he wants.

Then, Faery Wicca Tarot

The Druid

Draoi Gebann (Dro-ee Ke-vin) Druid Kevin

IMG_0086.thumb.jpg.84fdf9040ecfe1eca989849fd93889e5.jpg

The Card Itself: A druid points his wand to the sky. Before him, a stone altar on which a bag lies. On the ground in front of the altar is a chalice and a sword. In his other hand he holds  a shield. These all represent the symbols of the minor arcana. He is wearing a vibrant red tunic, and a cloak edged with feathers. His hair is braided and yet unruly. In the near distance behind him are dead trees and a stone. The grass where he stands is green. 

From the LWB: Master of knowledge; the power of the primal world flows through you into this world; all awareness is awake within your soul; listen to the light of the patron within you, for she guides you to your destiny; hold the four magickal elements within your hands, but gently, knowing that they are not yours for the keeping, but for the caretaking. Use your powers wisely, for the Ancient ones, not for personal satisfaction. The initiate.

Observations: This guy is very self assured. He can do anything he sets his mind to. He has all the tools he needs and he knows how to put them to the best use. Looking at this card I feel a sense of being connect to nature and the hidden realms. He is out in the open, doing his thing with no fear, but he isn't naïve, and acting dangerously. He knows exactly what he is doing.

To me these two cards feel like they have a lot in common. Both give me that self-satisfied feeling. Both look like they know what they are doing. They're so different in style, yet they both feel so very similar to me.