snowowl

Completely New To Tarot

Dear All,

I just joined a few minutes ago. I am looking for advice on how to start with Tarot. Just ordered my first deck yesterday. I know almost nothing about Tarot; a few days ago I started thinking about it intensely, and completely out of the blue. I'm wondering why. So basically I am looking for words of friendly and sincere advice on WHAT to do once the deck arrives?

Thank you so much in advance!

Welcome! Which deck did you get to start out with? Does it come with a book? 

A good start is to just look at the cards and think of or write down what you think is going on in the picture. It'll help you get familiar with them, and there are times that what's going on in the picture is what the card is telling you. They can get literal sometimes!

I personally found Biddy Tarot's website to have some helpful info, and there are zillions of books out there about tarot as well. I ended up doing a mentorship here that was super helpful and really helped me improve and learn more. One of the things I did as part of the mentorship was to go through the cards, one at a time, over the course of a couple weeks - I started with the Fool and worked my way through, examining each card closely, then looking it up in 2 different books PLUS what the book that came with it said, looked it up on Biddy Tarot, Daily Tarot Girl, and Aeclectic, and in the end boiled it down to a short phrase or keyword that helped me remember it's meaning. I also kept notes on all this. It really was a study but in the end I felt it helped a ton.

As for what to do with the actual deck itself (like cleansing or crystals or charging in the moonlight or all that stuff) I really have no idea. I don't really do any of that stuff. If one of those rituals feels right to you, go ahead and do it! For me, I haven't felt the need so far. Everybody's different.

And have fun!

34 minutes ago, snowowl said:

So basically I am looking for words of friendly and sincere advice on WHAT to do once the deck arrives?

I snowowl!  What deck did you purchase?  I suggest you count the cards in your deck, one at a time and make sure the deck has all the cards promised.  They should have at least 78, that's a standard tarot deck.  Make sure no cards are stuck together also.  Be careful if they are!  Once the cards have been counted, assuming they are in the same order divide the first 22 cards (from the Fool to The World) from the rest of the deck. That group is the major arcana and they have the loudest and longest messages.  The remaining cards are the minor arcana and they deal more with everyday life.  From then divide the deck by suit.  Typically Wands, Swords, Cups and Pentacles.  From the suits divide the court cards, There are 4 per deck, from page to knight, queen and king.  Then just sit and look at your cards!  READ your companion book or the LWB (little white book) that comes with the deck.  Start watching YouTube videos and have fun!!

Think about how Hendrix felt when he first picked up a guitar; when Charles Dickens first picked up his quill; how Blake felt when he picked up the grain of sand and saw the world! Think about when Lennon first met McCartney.   Because if you've had word from up on high then you & tarot were meant for each other.  Love them without prejudice and rock those babies!  

Hi and Welcome.

I agree with above. Sort through and identify the Major Arcana versus the four suits. Then separate the suits into Ace through Ten versus the Courts. Just look them over and be aware of your impressions. Read the info that came with cards. Handle them, shuffle them, sort them again. Notice how the different cards make you feel. Post here which deck you got and what kind of info came with it. Those are the first steps.

I would recommend finding a mentor on this forum. They will advise you to do readings, fully understanding it's all about learning. Doing readings for others is the absolute best way to learn. 

5 minutes ago, Joe said:

I would recommend finding a mentor on this forum. They will advise you to do readings, fully understanding it's all about learning. Doing readings for others is the absolute best way to learn. 

Right now the program is closed because I am looking for mentors.   When I get a few more mentors  can unlock it again! :biggrin:

I'm new too but I would suggest to spending some time everyday with your deck, even if it's only a few mins. I find mornings are better because I'm more clear and not so covered up in the crap of the day. I also do a daily draw of one card per day, and I look it up all over the place and think about it during the day. The jist of it will be repeated. Get a notebook and write stuff down. I find that it helps me to remember things better if I simply write it as apposed to just reading it somewhere or god forbid bookmarking it. I never seem to remember to go through my bookmarks!