Favorite In-print Rws?

What is your favorite in-print Rider Waite Smith deck with Smith's artwork? I just need a few basic Rider Waites with Pamela's art that handle well, nothing fancy.

I love my Pamela Coleman Smith centennial edition but the card stock, while lovely, is pretty stiff, and I find it doesn't handle smoothly when I'm shuffling with my eyes closed. It takes a long time to break in.

I have an Original RW from 1993, the Belgian printing, which I really like. Good card stock, good images, pretty backs (roses and lilies,not that hideous plaid!). But it is really old and just feels dirty. I bought a new edition of this deck (rose and lily) but the colors don't look right. Is the woman in the 8 of swords supposed to be covered in bright primary red from head to toe, including face and neck? (The Belgian is NOT).

I also have a couple of the Radiant Waite decks, and the Universal, but they are re-drawn, not Smith's. Also I have one called Rider Waite Premier 2005, but I find it rather glossy and slippery. I guess I'm picky! I just want a card stock that handles well, with PCS's art in the original color scheme.

What is your favorite in-print RWS with Smith's art work?

Thanks!

My favorite in print is the Tarot of A.E. Waite by AGM Urania, ISBN 978-3-03819-460-6. The one with crackle backs. I love the card stock, which is more flexible and matte than the Centennial imo.  I'm not seeing them around as much anymore, but they're still a reasonable price in a few places. So clear and sharp, with gorgeous coloring, for my taste, though brighter than the Centennial that had been my favorite before that.  I added a pic of cards, back, and box in this forum post

(ETA - there's also a pocket ed. and I think an oversized ed. Different ISBN.)

Edited by Rose Lalonde

I had the Pamela Coleman Smith Anniversary Deck, the mini one that came in a tin can and I let it go and now I regret that because those were actually great cards. Strong color and they felt good. I do have the Universal deck, its okay. I have it just to go out with because I always take a deck with me nowadays. I sort of traverse between RWS and Marseilles. Now Im on a RWS kick. But I have no idea what's good being made new today in all honesty. Its really a personal choice. I have always liked vintage cards.

The most important thing for me is that it has Pam A artwork and not Pam B. I really can’t get over how inferior the line work is in Pam B decks, and I don’t think Pamela would have been happy seeing those being reprinted (as she was most likely not the one who did those. They were probably retraced by someone less talented after the original plates were destroyed). The centennial RWS is a Pam A while the Original RWS is a Pam B. I believe the crackle back one is a Pam A too (I sold my copy because I did not like the cardstock, so I can’t check. It felt way too ‘new’ and thin for my liking. But I know most people seem to like it. I much prefer the cardstock of the centennial, but even more so of the pre copyright Us games or the University books version from the 1960s). 

To see the difference between Pam a, b and all the others (there is a C and a D too 😆) you can take a look here:

https://www.wopc.co.uk/tarot/rider-waite/rider-waite-early-editions

2 minutes ago, Raggydoll said:

The most important thing for me is that it has Pam A artwork and not Pam B. I really can’t get over how inferior the line work is in Pam B decks, and I don’t think Pamela would have been happy seeing those being reprinted (as she was most likely not the one who did those. They were probably retraced by someone less talented after the original plates were destroyed). The centennial RWS is a Pam A while the Original RWS is a Pam B. I believe the crackle back one is a Pam A too (I sold my copy because I did not like the cardstock, so I can’t check. It felt way too ‘new’ and thin for my liking. But I know most people seem to like it. I much prefer the cardstock of the centennial, but even more so of the pre copyright Us games or the University books version from the 1960s). 

To see the difference between Pam a, b and all the others (there is a C and a D too 😆) you can take a look here:

https://www.wopc.co.uk/tarot/rider-waite/rider-waite-early-editions

Thanks, Raggydoll. The new Original I just got is terrible, but my old 1993 one is very good. I think the centennial is just beautiful. 

12 hours ago, McFaire said:

Thank you. I'm looking for one now... 

If you know where to find them, please let me know 🙂

If you have an Amazon account, you can usually find them on amazon.de - search for Tarot Von Waite. They usually deliver to other countries.

Thank you. I see. 

There are some on eBay too but they are shipping from Lithuania so I was skeptical, even though they say they are 100% authentic and have the AGM packaging.

I also emailed AGM and they replied promptly asking my location, so they are helping.

Part of the confusion, I have now figured out, is that AGM has quite a few versions, so I will list them here in case it helps others.

They have the Standard deck, not to be confused with standard size, which has The Universe on the box, and the on the card backs is the rose cross on a blue background. This comes in several sizes, pocket (bridge), standard (tarot), mini, and XL.

Then they have the Premium deck, which is the crackle back with Strength on the box, and this one comes in the same sizes I think.

And they have a kit with a book in German.

AGM doesn't have the ISBNs on their site, making it harder to match up with Amazon.

Thanks for the help on this!

3 minutes ago, gregory said:

They are tough to find in English - I emailed them once about this and it's the usual issue.... (USG) I got my English one from a Polish seller on ebay.

Yeah, I figured as much.

I'm fine with the western European languages, but I fall apart when it comes to non-Latin alphabets!

My fave RWS version is the Lo Scarabeo RWS Pamela Colman Smith Tarot (it's different to the centennial / anniversary edition by US Games). Before it I bought the Original Rider Waite Tarot and it's just the most terrible version. It's made to look older / aged and dark / less colours and it's so depressing to use, I used it and felt sad every time! I was complaining about it to @Sulis off forum and she recommended the Lo Scarabeo deck. It's gorgeous, it's colourful and really the best of the colourful clone versions. I just love it and it's now my fave! :thumbsup:

One slight caveat with that - which is my favourite too - almost all he ones you get now are a much less appealing printing, with red and black backs. As far as I know, the only way to get the lovely one you and I have is to buy the Italian kit - the decks the same, but you get a book in Italian on the side.

This one: https://shop.loscarabeo.com/index.php?id_product=334&controller=product&id_lang=1

Look at the one you get now: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Lo-Scarabeo-Pamela-Colman-Smith/dp/8883959116/ref=sr_1_1

It's a tossup, as the other (from LoS) now has multilingual titles, as far as I know...

Le Fanu discussed it between us at the time and was saying there was a better hard to find original version but it was pricey now. I would like to get it one day but I did just buy the cheaper mass version. It has red and white roses on the backs. It doesn't have all the different language titles on the cards thank goodness, I think it must be the LWB is multilingual!

I will aim to get the Italian version one day, he did recommend it as even better than the massmarket vers! They are naughty for mixing the two decks, on amazon there are lots of people asking which version it is. I think he said trying to get the original lovely deck (not in the Italian set) is now firmly OOP!

It was all a rather awful accident. As far as I know, USG went for LoS for one thing, and it went downhill from there. The lovely one is indeed OOP - but the Italian one isn't - it was the selling in the USA that was the blue touchpaper !

Is there a version of the AGM crackle back deck without the fonts?
Just a shot in the dark. The font is what's always kept me from purchasing.
I don't mind other languages. But if people can cobble Tarot memes together with PCS's lettering, there's no reason AGM couldn't do the same.

Edited by katrinka
6 hours ago, gregory said:

One slight caveat with that - which is my favourite too - almost all he ones you get now are a much less appealing printing, with red and black backs. As far as I know, the only way to get the lovely one you and I have is to buy the Italian kit - the decks the same, but you get a book in Italian on the side.

This one: https://shop.loscarabeo.com/index.php?id_product=334&controller=product&id_lang=1

Look at the one you get now: https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Lo-Scarabeo-Pamela-Colman-Smith/dp/8883959116/ref=sr_1_1

It's a tossup, as the other (from LoS) now has multilingual titles, as far as I know...

They are both Pam b if I remember correctly? I remember that the coloring and the cardstock was great but I just couldn’t get over the linework. Poor Eve and her chin implant (lovers), and the botched nose jobs on so many of my favorite characters.. or the angry angels. It was all TOO much!! 😩🤣🤣

39 minutes ago, Raggydoll said:

They are both Pam b if I remember correctly? I remember that the coloring and the cardstock was great but I just couldn’t get over the linework. Poor Eve and her chin implant (lovers), and the botched nose jobs on so many of my favorite characters.. or the angry angels. It was all TOO much!! 😩🤣🤣

Ha ha ha ha!

9 hours ago, McFaire said:

Has anyone tried the Pam's Vintage Tarot on DriveThruCards?

https://www.drivethrucards.com/product/220345/Pams-Vintage-Tarot

Haha! Thank You for mentioning!:) it's actually my Selfpublished edt!^^(bridge size my fav!^^;)

& if you are looking for *Original Colors you may wish to check;

Pam's Original Art Only Edition!:) Did my Best here!^^ & there is also *remixed cracked back option!;)

https://sites.google.com/view/myluckycard/pams-original-art-only-tarot

also drivethrucards Embossed/aka linen cardstock my personal favorite!^^

& there is also *luxury edt on my EU Shop if you prefer *strong 2piece box!;)

https://sites.google.com/view/myluckycard/eu-shop-page

& promo giveaway on my ig going on; https://www.instagram.com/p/ByxNafnHGHT/

feel free to ask me anything!^^

All Best!^^

MyLuckyCard

reall/Irena

Edited by reall

Just got my account straightened out, so here's my first post.

For everyday reading I like the Albano-Waite (unfortunately, it isn't the 1968 original).  I bought the RWS Centennial in a tin for use with Edmund's Pixie's Astounding Lenormand in tarot/Lenormand combo readings since they're similar in style and roughly the same size.

Edited by Barleywine
Just now, Barleywine said:

Just got my account straightened out, so here's my first post.

Hey!! Good to see you! 😀

Just now, Barleywine said:

For everyday reading I like the Albano-Waite (unfortunately, it isn't the 1978 original).  I bought the RWS Centennial in a tin for use with Edmund's Pixie's Astounding Lenormand in tarot/Lenormand combo readings since they're similar in style and roughly the same size.

I love the look of the Albano-Waite but the new edition I purchased (us games, printed in Italy I believe 🤔) was of such horrible quality! (Very shocking because us games are usually very reliable with their cardstock). Several pictures were blurry and it looked like it had been photocopied

and produced in someone’s basement. Basically! Plus it had a super shiny finish and a strong chemical smell. I so wish I had an older version!

5 hours ago, reall said:

Haha! Thank You for mentioning!:) it's actually my Selfpublished edt!^^(bridge size my fav!^^;)

& if you are looking for *Original Colors you may wish to check;

Pam's Original Art Only Edition!:) Did my Best here!^^ & there is also *remixed cracked back option!;)

https://sites.google.com/view/myluckycard/pams-original-art-only-tarot

also drivethrucards Embossed/aka linen cardstock my personal favorite!^^

& there is also *luxury edt on my EU Shop if you prefer *strong 2piece box!;)

https://sites.google.com/view/myluckycard/eu-shop-page

& promo giveaway on my ig going on; https://www.instagram.com/p/ByxNafnHGHT/

feel free to ask me anything!^^

All Best!^^

MyLuckyCard

reall/Irena

Thanks reall. I noticed the Pam's Original Art Only on gamecrafter is only available right now with crackle back, and not rose and lily? Are you planning to offer that again soon?