Jump to content

Favorite In-print Rws?


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, McFaire said:

I've been using my tarot size centennial recently, so I'll try the tin for a while. The tin is the one I've been keeping ordered, but I can switch them 🙂

 

Yeah, it’s definitely worth a try. I really like that one. It’s very practical if you don’t have a big surface to work on either. And the box is very good for travel. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Joe said:

This is the great deck I just picked. Its from University Books, New Hyde Park address and leather box.

University Books is my favorite RWS ever. https://fennario.wordpress.com/2019/05/31/no-time-like-the-first-time-university-books-rws/

 

That chin on the Pam B looks like Dudley DoRight.

Dudley_Do-Right.jpg

 

The "Original" RWS is Pam B, isn't it? I don't mind the coloring at all, but that line work is fugly!

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, katrinka said:

University Books is my favorite RWS ever. https://fennario.wordpress.com/2019/05/31/no-time-like-the-first-time-university-books-rws/

 

That chin on the Pam B looks like Dudley DoRight.

Dudley_Do-Right.jpg

 

The "Original" RWS is Pam B, isn't it? I don't mind the coloring at all, but that line work is fugly!

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Yes it does!! I agree that the Original RWS could have been so much better with Pam a artwork. I’d have happily bought it then! 

 

Edit: and I agree that the university books RWS is a really good one, but the topic here is in-print RWS, that’s why i

didn’t want to speak too highly of the vintage ones. Not everyone can afford them and I think that the newer ones are really good too (though, obviously not as good in my opinion ☺️)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Once you’ve seen the Eve chin implant, you can’t unsee it...

 

@McFaire, I have the centennial in a tin. It’s very practical, I can take it out with me without worrying about accidental damage. The smaller size means you don’t need a big table for larger spreads. It is one of the nicer versions out there. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 Yes it does!! I agree that the Original RWS could have been so much better with Pam a artwork. I’d have happily bought it then! 

 

Edit: and I agree that the university books RWS is a really good one, but the topic here is in-print RWS, that’s why i

didn’t want to speak too highly of the vintage ones. Not everyone can afford them and I think that the newer ones are really good too (though, obviously not as good in my opinion ☺️)

Yes, it's a shame that one fell by the wayside. I wish it was still in print, it's gorgeous.
 

I like the Albano - and yes, some of the details like that horse on the Sun card look like smeared xeroxes. The linework is too heavy on some cards, but on others, it's excellent. You can even see the eye on the Fool's bag:

Capture.PNG.f325f69986accceb0e529785cffbc3ce.PNG


My copy doesn't smell, isn't overly-plastified, and is a pleasure to read with. The colors are nuts, but there is a method to the madness: BOTA! https://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=186698

 

And the Centennial in a tin IS very nice. It was my workhorse deck for some time. It took a beating and it still looks almost new.

Reall's RWS decks are wonderful (get the linen!)

Any of the above would be my in print recommendations.

Edited by katrinka
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Quester said:

My favorite is The Radiant Wise Spirit Tarot that came out this year from Lo Scarabeo. Love the colors and the card stock.  Feels great in the hand and it is borderless!!

It was very clever of them to come up with that title so they could keep the “RWS” connotation without actually using the “Rider Waite Smith” that US games own copyright of 😊

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Flaxen said:

Once you’ve seen the Eve chin implant, you can’t unsee it...

 

@McFaire

Haha true!^^ lol

 

@katrinka Thank You!^^ linen my fav2!^^;D

Edited by reall
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, katrinka said:

University Books is my favorite RWS ever. https://fennario.wordpress.com/2019/05/31/no-time-like-the-first-time-university-books-rws/

 

That chin on the Pam B looks like Dudley DoRight.

Dudley_Do-Right.jpg

 

The "Original" RWS is Pam B, isn't it? I don't mind the coloring at all, but that line work is fugly!

katrinka, you devil! Now I want a Rocky & Bullwinkle tarot. DoRight's colors could be right out of one of my TdM decks. I took a look at your University Press post and now I want something else I'll probably never have.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Quick, make one before somebody else does! (I'm a little surprised nobody has done it yet.)
And you NEED a University Books deck. Save your ducats!

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

Edit: and I agree that the university books RWS is a really good one, but the topic here is in-print RWS, that’s why i

didn’t want to speak too highly of the vintage ones. Not everyone can afford them and I think that the newer ones are really good too (though, obviously not as good in my opinion ☺️)

Yeah. I need a few new ones for a specific purpose.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So, getting back to the RWS in print decks, as I said, I regret getting rid of the small Centennial deck, so if you have one keep it. I currently have the Universal Waite deck that I use to carry around for what reason may occur. The colors are bold and sharp, tones good, but the paper stock is very thin. Not one to be a regular use deck for me.  took these the other day in some pretty strong sun light.I

20190621_111532.jpg

20190621_111845.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Joe said:

So, getting back to the RWS in print decks, as I said, I regret getting rid of the small Centennial deck, so if you have one keep it. I currently have the Universal Waite deck that I use to carry around for what reason may occur. The colors are bold and sharp, tones good, but the paper stock is very thin. Not one to be a regular use deck for me.  took these the other day in some pretty strong sun light.I

20190621_111532.jpg

20190621_111845.jpg

Pretty! Not PCS though?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Going all the way back to the OP:

On 6/19/2019 at 10:07 PM, McFaire said:

I have an Original RW from 1993, the Belgian printing, which I really like. Good card stock, good images, pretty backs (roses and lilies,not that hideous plaid!). But it is really old and just feels dirty.

If you haven't trimmed it yet, you can extend the usefulness of it by trimming it now. The edges are what tend to get grubbiest.
If the card faces and/or backs are dirty, spray a paper towel lightly with Windex and give them a wipe. Allow to dry thoroughly before stacking the cards again.
 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Quester said:

My favorite is The Radiant Wise Spirit Tarot that came out this year from Lo Scarabeo. Love the colors and the card stock.  Feels great in the hand and it is borderless!!

I noticed that Amazon US, the Radiant Wise Spirit isn't available for shipping right now. One version is pre-order and the other version says it ships in 1-2 months.

 

Does anyone know what's up with this?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.