22 Weeks With The Spirit Keeper's Tarot - Week 1

Flaxen

This thread is for those who are using the workbook created by Benebell Wen. 

It’s a space to share your insights and discuss how you are working with the material. 

Feel free to post your weekly tarot forecast in this thread too.

Edited by Flaxen

Thanks for setting this up, Flaxen! 

I'm all set up to start Week 1 tomorrow, 1st July 2019. How about you?

Yes, that’s my plan too @YlvaBlue. I’m starting with a hint of trepidation as 22 weeks is quite a commitment! 

My plan is not to put too much pressure to do absolutely everything in detail but to allow some shorter activities too. 

I'm trying not to concentrate on the 22 weeks part of it, @Flaxen, just concentrate on tomorrow and the rest of this week, otherwise I'll be entirely intimidated 😂

I also think you're right to approach this with some temperance. I'm going to do this week as orthodoxly as possible, then take it from there.

Tarot Forecast for the Week:

What spirit will be most present this week? The Vagabond

What is in my highest interest to make this week’s priority? The Sharpshooter

What do I need to be mindful of and prepare for? The Champion

The week will have a certain restlessness to it and a feeling of alienation. It’s likely I will have a reminder of physical hardship but hopefully this is what will spur me to take the Sharpshooter’s advice. Her arrow is pointed at the Champion. Victory is possible if I make it a clear aim this week. It may need some self-sacrifice but no victory comes without a cost. 

This could be sage advice for working through this week’s activities. I’ll need to sacrifice some personal time and other items in my schedule to make it work. 

5C1897BA-EA26-48A1-BADF-1B670DEC3FD4.jpeg

Tarot Forecast For The Week:

1. What spirit will be most present this week? Key 3 The Empress - Gloria Mundi: Ourania's Gate 

2. What is in my highest interest to make this week's priority? Knight of Chalices - The Shining Dew: Waters & Waves

3. What do I need to be mindful of and prepare for? 5 of Chalices - The Grotesque.

I love the titles so much I couldn't help but include them! They sound like a poem, or an invocation. And I need the distraction of how pretty they sound because this ended up being a powerful message. 

I could honestly write a whole essay about this set of cards. There's so much.  The way the imagery flows from one card to the next, the water in the background of The Empress becoming the river that starts with the Knight and flows past the 5 Chalice. The link between the swan in the Empress and the Dahlia in the 5. I mean...god, this isa meaty deck! And the synchronicity of these cards, the way they fit so perfectly into my life at the moment... Not just an essay. A full actual novel. 

It may yet appear here 😂. Wait until I  do the reflection at week's end. In the meantime:

I spent this weekend thinking about hopes and dreams, and how I had no sense of my own personal holy grail anymore. I just don't. I'm exhausted of having a hope or a dream or a goal and trying to make it happen, and nothing come of it but disappointment. So what do you do? Stop dreaming? Stop hoping? Stop trying to make things happen?

Right now, yes. Knight of Chalices is my laid-back hippy guy. Go with the flow, he says, chill. Be like the river. It carves its way through the land, right? And it does it without stress or pressure or any sense of rush or panic. Just relax. Allow my soul to be visible.

I realise I'm trying to make decisions from my head, decide what feels right. But you can't decide what feels right. You have to feel what feels right, and you can't do that whilst your head is shouting at you, switching from one argument to the next, seeing both sides of a decision.

Stop thinking, start feeling. Be quiet and let the still small voice speak. When it does, The Empress is right there beside me. My immediate response to her was that she was letting me know she transforms what is already there, no matter how unpromising it seems.

Unpromising? Why?

The Grotesque, 5 Chalices, limps into place. And I'm gonna tell you, I had to walk away from this reading, and this card, for a while. I've never read a take on this card like Benebell's, and it's so true, and so spot-on... God, but this is powerful stuff. It really is. The Grotesque as the spirit who appears when you have expended blood, sweat and tears that have yielded no fruition or meaning...how you then feel like you are 'disfigured' in some essential way. It's the injury of failure. 

So, yes, by all means allow my soul to be visible. Let it speak. But it's a beaten and damaged and malformed thing by now, after all that has come before. I've been ignoring it, but I can't. Not if I'm going to fulfil the prophecy of The Empress.

Thus I've got to accept it as it is, love it like it is, no matter how Grotesque and tarnished it has become. That's what I have to prepare for. Let the grief and the pain just happen. Let it be grief and let it be pain. Express them honestly. No self-censorship. 

Why? Because it's a turning point. I've got the Empress on my side. She's as powerful as it gets. I have to make peace with it all, really, and that's why the qualities of The Shining Dew is so important. This pale horse of death brings a promise: Dabo pace in finibus vestris. I will grant peace in the land.

I think there's a ritual for me to do. Something water-based. A washing-away, a cleansing. A baptism of some sorts. I'll do some research this week, see what I can find. I have a little bottle of water I brought from the Chalice Well in Glastonbury the other week. I'll use that. 

IMG_20190701_085659.thumb.jpg.755a33c876b023b7836a4dc9bf665d4d.jpg

(I mean, just look at these cards! See how the water starts in the Empress, flows through to The Grotesque? Gah. It's poetry).

49 minutes ago, YlvaBlue said:

(I mean, just look at these cards! See how the water starts in the Empress, flows through to The Grotesque? Gah. It's poetry).

Interesting how the water reduces too - just a small stream trickles past the Grotesque. Do those wounds reduce the flow available to us or do we only accept the small trickle? If this figures turns and follows the stream, the water becomes abundant again. There is something quite profound in these images. 

It will be interesting to see what manifests for you this week. 

5 hours ago, Flaxen said:

Interesting how the water reduces too - just a small stream trickles past the Grotesque. Do those wounds reduce the flow available to us or do we only accept the small trickle? If this figures turns and follows the stream, the water becomes abundant again. There is something quite profound in these images. 

It will be interesting to see what manifests for you this week. 

There's definitely an interplay between the three cards. Maybe I've read too much Enrique Enriquez, too, but I see mirroring between the swan in Key 3 and the unicorn of The Shining Dew. Also, when I read Book of Maps, I learned that the Grotesque held a Dahlia, a stand-in for Dalia the Goddess of Fate who, in other cards, is represented by a swan...

The evaluation at the end of the week will be absolutely crucial in order to parse through all of this, I think. In the meantime, I'm just enjoying looking at the three cards and letting my eye flow along the lines.

I really enjoyed reciting the Invocation of the Magi. As Benebell says, there's definitely something about saying Wepwawet. 

@Flaxen, how will you be approaching the reading/video watching? A bit a day, or in a chunk?

Edited by YlvaBlue

8 minutes ago, YlvaBlue said:

I really enjoyed reciting the Invocation of the Magi. As Benebell says, there's definitely something about saying Wepwawet. 

@Flaxen, how will you be approaching the reading/video watching? A bit a day, or in a chunk?

Edited 1 minute ago by YlvaBlue

Yes, the invocation felt quite powerful! 

I’m breaking the reading/watching/scrying into chunks. It’s a bit easier to find 10-15 mins here and there. 

Trying to do a whole hour of silence tomorrow is going to challenge me. I don’t have such a large chunk of free time in one go...

1 hour ago, Flaxen said:

Yes, the invocation felt quite powerful! 

I’m breaking the reading/watching/scrying into chunks. It’s a bit easier to find 10-15 mins here and there. 

Trying to do a whole hour of silence tomorrow is going to challenge me. I don’t have such a large chunk of free time in one go...

Good luck! I'm sure, if you had to, breaking it into bits will have the same effect - it's the conscious creation of silent space that matters, right?

Hour of silence done ✔️

I also took two cards from yesterday's weekly forecast and turned them into an I Ching hexagram:

Key 3 Empress = bottom trigram - Heaven

5 of Chalices = top trigram - Water

Hexagram 5 formed: Patience (Xu). 

When I read the information about Patience, it seemed to me to match the message of the one card not included, the Knight of Cups.

I know nothing about the I Ching! But this was an interesting additional method and one I think I'll continue to include over the coming Weekly Forecasts.

Well done on the hour of silence. I’m planning on doing my after everyone has gone to bed. 

How did you turn your cards into an I Ching hexagram? Sounds interesting...

I’ve reviewed my goals and have been a lazy sloth. Aim to do more this week!

Do you have a copy of the Book of Maps? Benebell has a section on it in there: Integrating I Ching Oracle Readings. She's allocated a tarot card to each of the trigrams and then has all the necessary correspondence tables to make the hexagrams. She's then (of course) included the 64 Short Form Oracles.

So, looking at your weekly forecast:

5 of Orbs = Earth

6 of Scepters = Thunder

Together they make the hexagram Yu: Enthusiasm/Motivation. Which fits pretty nicely with your 8 of Scepters/Sharpshooter, don't you think? In the book it says: Demonstrate enthusiasm; then those of the spirit realms and earthly realms alike will follow you. To be motivated to achieve, you must first be motivated by the energy of life. Renounce hesitation. Do not let chronic conditions hold you back. Prepare for an advance. There is an opportunity for growth.

My research list, thanks to this deck, is becoming greater than the hours available to honour it...

Edited by YlvaBlue

@YlvaBlue, thank you so much! That is very fitting with the message from the cards. 

I do have the Book of Maps but not to hand - will go and have a look tonight. Fascinating stuff...learning the I Ching would be quite a diversion. :classic_smile:

I’ve found the information on the I Ching - it was in the Book of Maps addendum for the Vitruvian edition. I’ve only got the original as a hard copy hence why it wasn’t familiar. :classic_smile:

Managed the hour of silence yesterday and it was lovely. I used it to do some of the scrying activities and reading. It was interesting how ‘alive’ the cards feel when using them this way. 

Today’s task of mental strengthening is done and I’m looking at the use of words/communication. It did spark a thought that maybe I should start up my blog again - that would be one way to share beneficent words. 

Ah, I'm still not au fait with what's been added to the VE material 🙂 I have to say, I really like the addition of the I Ching to the reading and am finding it a really fruitful way of summing up the key message of the spread. 

Well done for the hour of silence! Isn't it restful? I used it to journal on the The Shining Dew, relating him to the Monday I had. It ended up being a larger journal entry (I was still adding to it in the evening 😂). I'll maybe try some of the scrying tomorrow: I got up early this morning and kept silence for the mental strengthening exercise. 

Great idea re: the blog! I just thought about a specific incident at work last week when I used my voice to bring the tension down in the room. But I've been considering a blog/instagram/social media presence and the SKT process feels like a meaty way to get into a routine and produce content. 

Funny synchronicity today: I was thinking ahead for tomorrow's prosperity ritual and how I needed to try and sneak in some research this evening before I go to the movies. Then I open my email and, lo and behold, Ethony Dawn has sent out a free 14 Day Abundance Challenge PDF, whereby you use the suit of Pentacles to set prosperity goals and 'discover your inner prosperity blueprint'. It looks really fun with great spreads to work through. So guess what I'll start tomorrow?👍

I've joined the SKT - Spiritkeeper's Tarot Study group on Facebook, too, just to maximise the places I can talk about this deck 😂 I've bought a few decks recently that have felt like they've answered a question I didn't know I was asking (Numinous, Moonchild) and rediscovered an old favourite (Gaian). This deck feels like it's the final piece of the puzzle. A solid Tarot team, ready for anything!

4 minutes ago, YlvaBlue said:

Funny synchronicity today: I was thinking ahead for tomorrow's prosperity ritual and how I needed to try and sneak in some research this evening before I go to the movies. Then I open my email and, lo and behold, Ethony Dawn has sent out a free 14 Day Abundance Challenge PDF, whereby you use the suit of Pentacles to set prosperity goals and 'discover your inner prosperity blueprint'. It looks really fun with great spreads to work through. So guess what I'll start tomorrow?👍

Amazing! Love it when things like that happen. :classic_smile:

I’ve also spent the day researching some prosperity rituals - felt I needed a bit of a head start here! Have decided to start with mantras tomorrow. 

Have you decided when you’re doing the 9 card spread for between week 1 and 2? I’m thinking I might do mine on Saturday. 

5 minutes ago, Flaxen said:

Have you decided when you’re doing the 9 card spread for between week 1 and 2? I’m thinking I might do mine on Saturday. 

I haven't decided yet, no, though realistically Sunday feels like a better day for it for me. 

Yesterday evening I did the Nine-Card General Diagnostics spread.

It’s a fascinating snapshot of the current state of my life and has sparked interesting insights. 

The healthiest areas of my life right now are Connection to Divinity, Financial Matters and Creations. This feels ‘right’ on an intuitive level. 

The three areas have a feeling of connection but in different ways. Sacred Cinnabar provides a link to Kether and a promise of victory. The Joined One puts me in mind of the flow of financial energy and ‘like calls to like’. At the moment, it feels like I’m in a stable place financially but the prosperity rituals will help build on that. 

My weakest area seems to be Aspirational Endeavours. The sleeping figure on this card is a fair reflection of my current ambitions! However, while I’m blissfully ignoring them, a loss or theft is occurring. Something of my vital essence is taken away. I really need to get back on track and focus on my long-term ambition. First, by determining what it is I want to achieve, and then taking steps to get there. 

3198F3E3-E8E4-437E-B4D1-AFB8FC91BFDD.jpeg

I know! That was such a well-placed card. All the cards made sense to me in their respective positions and it felt like a true reflection of the current state of play. 

Looking forward to seeing what next week brings. :classic_smile:

Here's my 9-card forecast:

IMG_20190707_180112.thumb.jpg.3d61f64259dd7791cc072dcd064719b5.jpg

So many Orbs! But that's about right. I leave my job in two weeks time, am starting a new role in September. I'm thinking of any number of new starts, actually, and my main concern is how to best be in the world, what it is to be a living soul. That sort of thing.

I'm not surprised The Reaper is there, in that case :bugeyed:. This is real life-purpose/karmic return stuff.

I saw two blocks:

1) Health/Wellness: 3 of Scepters. The spirit is willing but I'm not yet putting my ideas into action. Time to take that energy and direct it.

2) Creativity: Ebony Shield. I'm protecting my creative output, keeping it behind the shield. I know why. This is an area that needs self-care.

It's all very accurate and indicative of my current mind set. There's change in the wind - profound, scary, necessary - but the cards tell me I'm in a good place to deal with it. 

You have so many of my favourite cards in your spread. :classic_smile:

It looks quite positive overall though, those Orbs are very grounding. 

9 minutes ago, Flaxen said:

You have so many of my favourite cards in your spread. :classic_smile:

It looks quite positive overall though, those Orbs are very grounding. 

*Looks at your avatar*

Yes, I see that... 🤣

Orbs are great, though, and appropriate for right now. It's a good sign that I'm so grounded - normally my spreads are all cups and swords and this feels way healthier 😎