Mi-Shell

The Stone Nature Deck

Well, my Anieth Stone Tarot arrived.

Unboxing?

Well, no, there was no box, only a rather tethered and rumpled padded envelope 😞

I am rather dismayed at its general condition!

The box, the cards were in is pretty smushed out of shape.

The box also, when straightened out as far as that still works, does not really fit the deck, it is a wee1985171950_unboxingthestoneTarot.jpg.0c57f0b78533b4e42421a1d83879c72d.jpg bit too short and quite a bit too wide.....??

A.E. Stone stuffed a piece of cardboard into the gap, but that has now crumpled up and messed up several cards.

2 pamphlets, that came with it are crumpled.

I have not looked at all the cards yet, will do that tomorrow.

All in all I think I can be glad, the deck got here at all, since my name and address had 3 mistakes in it!

Today I took a first look at the cards.

Well, I am understanding NOTHING.

But that is not all too surprising, since the card names are all in ? Gaelic, a language I have no clue about.

I had anticipated that and also was sort of planning to, if necessary write English titles onto the cards, but what fummoxes me, is, that the deck is not in sequence – Fool or Magician first or Ace of ?? first it is just random...?

I now will have to sit down and figure out, which card is which.

Luckily I do now have the descriptions from the web site with the pictures if the cards to help with that, because the lwb is not much help as some card write/ups are with the Gaelic names and some not and.....

Well There MUST be a logical explanation WHY this is so and maybe I have to search for that first before writing more.

The lwb starts with the Fool, but does not tell me, what the fool is called or what Animal the card depicts – Sooooo the search for the fool is on!

When I find the bugger, I will be back!

Found him!

He/ she is a little Mouse called Amada'n, that is jumping of the branch of an Elm Tree:)

1324255312_fool(2).png.9b62f70709c081a80922338428ec2ba8.png

She is the pan-ultimate card of the Mayor Arkana and has no number.

I meanwhile sorted all the cards and am delighted that i have an extra suit ♥

All in all the cards are a bit glossy, nice to the touch, not sticky or stiff. They are a bit smaller than the Anieth Nature Deck cards and of the same card stock – I think.

To me however, they feel a bit “darker”, more crowded, as ifff more is depicted in the image and as if we are simply sensing more brush strokes creating a denser background. They are not as “open and airy as the Anieth nature Tarot.

The suits in the Stone Tarot have a consistent colour scheme, proving, that these paintings have been created for this Tarot deck 🙂

And, just to mention, Yes, I love the artwork! ♥

I spent some time on her website today looking at the three decks and trying to work out what I was seeing, what I was being told about how she sees each card. I would certainly need a cheat sheet until I was thoroughly familiar with the deck/decks. I don't know if I have that much energy for a deck anymore, although there was a day when I would have thrown myself wholeheartedly into one as you have this one. 

In my early days with tarot I found animal decks were mute to me.

now nearly 20 years down the road I find the animals speak with clear voices and the humans are nearly mute. What will I know and think 20 years from now? 🙂  One thing, I hope you are still sharing your thoughts... thank you, Sharyn 

♥ AJ-ish! ♥

Yes, I will keep at it, when my time allows. This late afternoon I spent looooooking at all the cards, never mind, what their title. there are quite a few familiar ones, similar or identical to the Nature Tarot.

I will post about that and - other things.....

I read most everything on Stone's web site and printed some things out - cheat sheet wise... 😉

The last 2 days I have been looking at the Stone Nature deck and comparing the "duplicate" or almost duplicate images.

A few are simply identical, just a bit smaller/ narrower.

Others have the Animal central to them identical, just the background changed:

like this:

DSCN3643.jpg.210589e63b6ccea61752e1cb5d3935bd.jpgDSCN3644.jpg.51c6ccb71f69c815a644edeef66184ae.jpg

With some images that works well, but others loose a lot, like the Wolf mom with her cups, who is now - due the her suit being fiery red, toooo red for my taste. The other way round, I find that the Wildcat kitten and the Vole make up a nicer, lighter image.

The stag running through the tunnel of Trees is a quite dark and a bit blurry 10 of wands.

Just as dark and dreary is the now gray-green Spider web.

I LOVE the Foxes.♥

Here some more comparisons:

All the cards I am showing here are in different "locations" in the decks: In Anieth the stag is the King of Blades, in the Stone Tarot it stands as the Hero's Journey card Justice.

2005339146_DSCN3645(2).jpg.5732fc21a4a2e64004d90cbc86d73b99.jpg20791518_DSCN3646(2).jpg.75944f7a56d812df253a4f10996e71d7.jpg

Now, I will still have to wrap my head around the way, A.E. Stone divides up the mayors into 4 journeys:

Bride, Hero, Trickster and Witch......

Currently I am just strugggggeling with the Gaelic names of the cards and seeing familiar cards (known from my Anieth Nature Deck)  here in different positions.

All else - like the Ogham stuff, the journey cards and the full extra suit will come - eventually - and be reported her.

Posted (edited)

Did I tell you, that i am hearing impaired - deaf on my right ear and 40% hearing with/ through tinnitus left in my left ear?

(being dead for 19 minutes and being revived - I do NOT recommend it - things like ears go bust.... 😞 )

Anyway, this morning I was sitting in the living room , the cards of the Mayor Arcana in hand and trying to pronounce their names - out loud....

"Cumhach, Coocha, Gniomh, Gealach, Smacht, Cuidigh, Feartach,........

I did not hear my husband Peter come in.

But then he asked:

"What are you doing? learning Klingon?

Yes, it sounds that way!

From TV Sheldon Cooper speaks Klingon:

Edited by Mi-Shell

Posted (edited)

I think I have resigned myself to getting hopelessly kafaffled with the Gaelic names of the cards. 

Luckily  all cards have numbers / roman numerals, to clarify what I an looking at.

I am also learning, that the 5 suits of this deck fall according to 5 seasons!

There are 2 seasons with Winter !

I can emphasize with that, here in Muskoka, Ontario, we also have 5 seasons:

Mud

Mosquitoes

Make Money Now

Majestic Fall Colours

Maaaan, is is cooooold

Mud would of course be associated with water, all the floods we get, water birds showing up and blue/ cups would be a good suite for that.

Mosquitoes - yellow mind swords and daggers would also be a perfect fit - Just consider the mind games we all play to keep them out of the house and not getting bitten/ bugged.....

Make Money now is, what happens in our lush hot summers and is very well represented with the suit of Earth, pentacles, all the lush green and having to make a living is a few short month. 

Majestic Fall colours, when our forest are filled with the light of leaves turning bright yellow and red, when we all have to get really creative in order to prepare for the coming winter, when campfires glow and the guys go hunting - or jump in mad dash building projects - it all fits with the suit of wands

Maaan is it coooold is our winter, when we go into semi hibernation inward into our homes, when we have time to learn a new skill like divination,when we nurture our soul with food, drink and friends - it is my favorite season.

I will see, if these interpretations fit with the cards, as I am moving along.

Edited by Mi-Shell

I will share a few more image comparisons with you:

The larger cards are the Anieth Nature Deck, the second smaller ones are the Stone Tarot.

DSCN3646.jpg.d956aad3e9cd8efa2573200121848ed3.jpg

While the Seals out on the water as the 6 of cups work very well for me, I find that showing 5 of the Seals surrounded by Trees somehow feels unnatural. The card is also very gray and dark and dreary - too dark to be the Sun card - there is no sun depicted on the image.

DSCN3645.jpg.4c020e302f63a94480e2c4b8b651477d.jpg

Here the artist combined parts from several Anieth Nature Deck images to create the sadly again quite dark 2 of cups:

The cute baby Otter from the 6 of Wands ended up on the back of one of his parents ♥ However there is hardly anything of the sumptuous background left. The card has a sad feeling, the reflections the animals would create are also missing 

I'll bet there was a lot of arguments, back in the days when calendars were thought of.  Egypt, hot and dry, hot and flooded. How they must have argued against 4 seasons idea. They used 10 day weeks, did you know that? 

Just said to say 😉 thanks for noting what her 5th season is. 

Do you feel the reuse of card images on different cards, rather than modified and kept the same card, clarifies anything, shows deeper thinking or growth in the deck creation? I haven't even hit the buy button and feel a bit jerked around...

I am thoroughly enjoying your review @Mi-Shell as I was very interested in this deck (and the Antieth as well)   You have a wonderful way of writing 🙂 and I really appreciate the comparison photos. 

I am giggling about the Gaelic leaning Klingon as well as the highly accurate 5 seasons descriptions LOL!

1 hour ago, Venus Rising said:

I am giggling about the Gaelic leaning Klingon

Indeed.

I have the Celtic Shaman's Pack and John Matthews has used a mixture of Welsh and Irish Gaelic in the book for the totem animal cards and the Gaelic makes me go :bugeyed:  (I had to add in the Welsh names. I'm not a Welsh speaker, but obviously, being Welsh, I know a bit and the appearance of the language is at least familiar)

Have to say @Mi-Shell, you're unintentionally de-enabling me from getting this deck at the moment 🤔

8 hours ago, AJ-ish/Sharyn said:

I'll bet there was a lot of arguments, back in the days when calendars were thought of.  Egypt, hot and dry, hot and flooded. How they must have argued against 4 seasons idea. They used 10 day weeks, did you know that? 

Just said to say 😉 thanks for noting what her 5th season is. 

Do you feel the reuse of card images on different cards, rather than modified and kept the same card, clarifies anything, shows deeper thinking or growth in the deck creation? I haven't even hit the buy button and feel a bit jerked around...

Honestly, AJ, I do feel jerked around as well

most of the reworked images are OK, but what I feel, is that forcing the cards into the colour scheme of the 5 seasons, messes with an otherwise nice image and makes some - drab and dark and others kind of "sterile".

What I am trying to explain is maybe better shown in these images:

DSCN3647.jpg.e5480d4063e58c769c5b691093e870ef.jpg

The 2 yellow ones are somehow missing something. An Eagle in a yellow sky feels weird to me.

The Deer also are from another Anieth Nature Deck, where they are in a whole forest environment, Trees in the background, clouds, Birds, the works....

OK, we see stuff like this in other decks, but here, among all the lush ones, they sort of "fall through" 

Then the blue gray cards are Aeon, which looks like a dark Doooooomsday and 2  - oh well what are they anyway??- hard to recognize Seagulls stealing food from each other - or feeding each other and Why is this the 9 of Cords???

I still have to sink my teeth into that Snatha suit.

Yesterday I just read through the description for the cards in the LWB, but there is nowhere any explanation, about ANY of the Animals at all.....?????

for the 9 S It says fate and determinism and everyone refuses to change

or acknowledge change is needed?? THAT sounds like D.Trump 😉

On her web site she just says, these are seagulls fighting over a Fish.

Well, Seagulls will always be seagulls I guess........  

1232051014_DSCN3648(4).jpg.c64e32c15d18d9fc7a8ca4b3a29a1519.jpg

Then here is the 3 of Cups - yet again very dark - and to me - sad looking. 

These are not the 3 elated positive Beings we know, these look like 3 starving Deer on a fogy November morning, hiding from the hunters. The LWB explanation makes some sense, but the card is just simply missing a bit of colour, It is supposed to be a baby Deer- that would mean the season is Spring...??

What do you guys think?

1127247895_DSCN3648(2).jpg.5ebd35d960a319c6adb58d7ecf1d06f1.jpg

This one here is quite the opposite and WAAAAAAAAAY the most wildly painted, almost garish looking image.

Well, to me anyway.

Some people love popping colours 🙂

But yet again the background is missing somehow and I have the feeling this image comes from some different body of artwork and has been put here....

To answer AJ's question, I personally have the feeling, that this is the weaker deck of the 2.

As a Tarot deck???? 

I am struggggeling with a whole slue of things, from the Gaelic to the missing information about why this Animal is in this position.

And the 4 Journeys thing 

and the Snatha suit..... 

As an Oracle? Well, maybe, that would take all the problems I am having of the table.

You however may not have any of these issues.... It may just be me.....

6 hours ago, ilweran said:

Indeed.

I have the Celtic Shaman's Pack and John Matthews has used a mixture of Welsh and Irish Gaelic in the book for the totem animal cards and the Gaelic makes me go :bugeyed:  (I had to add in the Welsh names. I'm not a Welsh speaker, but obviously, being Welsh, I know a bit and the appearance of the language is at least familiar)

Have to say @Mi-Shell, you're unintentionally de-enabling me from getting this deck at the moment 🤔

Ilweran, do not put my words onto a golden scale!

YOU are definitely culturally much closer to this deck than me.

Honestl, I was hoping YOU can help me with some of this!!

I think, this is a totally different system, A.E. Stone is trying to create.

Like the Greenwood, it stands o its own.

But then she is taking  stuff from Robert Graves, who invented a lot and is NOT well looked at be Celtic Scholars and people who know, original sources.....  

It is still waaaaaay too early for me to say anything definitively.

But, ifffffff I was very busy and it was not waaaaay toooo hot to be outside and ....😧

I would just put this thing into a box and - yea, nothing.....👎

I am glad, you guys are here and asking me questions, that encourages me to keep going.... 💕

Interesting.  It's a shame because the images are really beautiful and deep, but I agree with you on the colouring and apt descriptions (ie the deer!)  You're a trooper for delving right into it for us, and sharing so many images, thank you so much!

Like @ilweran you were deenabling me on it, but after I went to her website (I didn't realise there was one LOL! I only saw her Etsy shoppe) I'm still keen to get it and figure it out.   Might be a Canadian winter project for me when I'm stuck inside  😉 

4 minutes ago, Venus Rising said:

Interesting.  It's a shame because the images are really beautiful and deep, but I agree with you on the colouring and apt descriptions (ie the deer!)  You're a trooper for delving right into it for us, and sharing so many images, thank you so much!

Like @ilweran you were deenabling me on it, but after I went to her website (I didn't realise there was one LOL! I only saw her Etsy shoppe) I'm still keen to get it and figure it out.   Might be a Canadian winter project for me when I'm stuck inside  😉 

Well, that would make 2 Canadians plotting around with this deck.

Just saying: The Anieth Nature Tarot is on the site as well and it is very beautiful ♥

the third deck with the people is all scenes taken from her fantasy world books. You can see/ read them on line. I have not looked at that one yet. I was intrigued by these 2 decks being all Animals.

Well the de-enabling came more from you showing how the art has been reused!

I am tempted to read the books though, my curiosity has been piqued there. Maybe it would also provide some context for her tarot? If only I wasn't so busy with other decks!

@Mi-Shell  that Anieth deck is calling me, too.  I love animals :heart:  Like  @ilweran  I'm eying up the books, as well! 😄 Maybe if I enjoy them, I'll want that 3rd deck too.  Oh dear, this is becoming a problem haha!  That being said though, I don't want to order decks and have them arrive smashed up like yours did.  That is the most off-putting part of this whole thing.  

If I was the creator of this deck, the last thing I'd want to see is my 'baby' be smushed by the abuse of the postal system. But that's just me, I guess :animated-smileys-thinking-36:  Maybe she didn't know that our mail has to be delivered by Moose and then Beaver once it crosses the US border.  An honest mistake, to be sure LOL 

Well, I have been meaning to write to her and tell her, in what condition the deck arrived here. The simple padded envelope is just not sufficient to protect the box, which is not very sturdy at all and mine did not close well.....

My Nature deck was just in a padded envelope as well and the package arrived rather battered. Luckily the deck itself was ok, but only just!

I did mean to leave feedback but don't think I did.

I think it’s important that both of you leave feedback so they are aware of the problem. I have contacted two other deck creators because of similar problems and they both made sure to pad the next shipment much better! 

Well, Today I just shuffled all the cards and did my very first daily draw with it.

1 theme/ card of the day

2 a challenge

3 a Guide/ outcome

19125695_DSCN3698(600x800).thumb.jpg.7b5291f81128e8d4e4205dcbac1b5d70.jpg

As I see the cards in a reading before me my very first impression is, “They are beautiful!

My heart goes out to the little Bird, my challenge of the day.

And the 2 Salmons? They are both going in the same direction, upstream to their demise. It is their fate, their nature to do that.

Inevitable...... A bit of a sad thought though...

......................................................................................

So for my card 1

I am looking at IX of the Trickster path!!!???????!!!

It's the Hermit and he is the last card of the Trickster Series which is supposedly very closely follow the the story and spiritual Energy of the ??Air Shaman????

As you all know, I come from a family of shamans, medicine people, work in the field with clients travelling 100drets of miles to see me for help with... whatever... BUT In all my 63 years I have not ever seen or heard of an Air shaman – other than in Tarot.....

Trickster???

What makes the Hermit a trickster??

OK the Salmon of Wisdom in the old lore and legends was a shape shifter.

Yes, Salmons shift shape at the end of their life: Their body proportions change, the head gets bigger, the snout transforms into that crooked open hoop form we see in the image. With that they can no longer eat, just bite opponents on the spawning grounds.

They fight wear themselves out and then die by the thousands, to become food for Bears, Eagles, Seagulls and fertilizer for the forest. Maybe in a futile attempt to eat the salmon swallowed that magical Hazelnut and thus lived forever = escaped death and decay.

The card for me today: Yes, today I will be a Hermit, staying home instead of being at the Muskoka Summer Craft show, where we used to sell for the previous 27 years.

Today I also have to cut some of the branches of the Hazelnut bush right beside our deck. The Bear trying to get up onto the deck has broken them and made a mess. I will put the branches heavy with unripe Hazelnuts into water and hope, the nuts ripen, so I can fed them to my Squirrels.

The card reminds me of this job and encourages me to “eat of the fruits of wisdom” = stick my nose into a book about Ogham and share my thoughts with others.

Be a light in the darkness – shed some light onto the Stone Tarot

The word Cumhach means something like lonely.

OK, I am alone right now. Does that mean my client to come will cancel his appointment? We will see.

2 The Challenge of the day:

V Sna'tha

Well, THAT'S a challenge right there!!

I am stepping into the realm of the unknown.

Funny to think, that right now, there is only 1 person in the whooooole World, that KNOWS what this V Sna'ta means! - A.E. Stone

On the image I see a very cute little Turfed Titmouse♥

She has he back to me , head turned left – it feels to me, that she looks into the past or the Spirit World. She is sitting on a sprig of Mistletoe, the poisonous white berries clearly seen on the pale green branches.

Do Titmice eat Mistletoe???

Some Birds, like my beloved Phinopeppla do. Then they pooooop the seeds out onto a branch and a new mistletoe plant will grow. With many of them on one plant, the plant will be sucked dry and die.

Did you guys know that? We see it often is the arid South West.

5 of something in Tarot usually means some kind of conflict.

Her I am wondering, if it is a spiritual conflict – or maybe my personal conflict with the deck??

The outcome and my Guide to get there:

4 of Batai'

The OTHER Salmon of Wisdom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy smokes!

Illuminated by light devoid of any background = that in this situation is irrelevant to her, she is focused on 1 thing and 1 thing alone: Get upstream against the rushing waters of the cataract, up to that quiet pool, to spawn deposit the eggs that are bloating her abdomen – and then -die.......

Single-mindedness , going against the flow is not, what I am used to as the 4 of Wands.

4 of Wands is coming up a lot in my readings – (see the moon group reading I just participated in)

It reflects my current situation: Enjoy the fruits of hard work, peace and balance, but also the quiet before the big happening.....

Here with this deck however I am enjoying my peace and quiet time by voluntarily swimming upstream against everything I know to gain some wisdom.

So Titmouse, tell me what you know:

She points he beak towards the LWB and here I show you, what I find there:

2103415241_DSCN3701(1000x761).thumb.jpg.57fb42e33c28c8ed59a505354c377c37.jpg

Now, THAT is depressing!

It tells me my whole endeavour is based on a bunch of idols instead of Spiritual Guides.

I have to be aware, that I am trying to make sense of something, that is a sacred Cow to someone I do not know at all. This is A.E. Stone's vision of a Tarot deck, with Ogham instead of Golden Dawn and the Kabbalah Tree of Life, no Thelema and Christianity based allegorical imagery.....

But ifffff that little Titmouse does eat Mistletoe seeds and like her cousin in Arizona poooops them onto another branch, am I just looking at the first attempt to give birth to a brand new Tarot system and another improved 2.0 version will follow?

THAT is, what I am interested in!

THAT is, why I will work with this deck and share my findings, with you and ultimately maybe with its creator.

Looooong after my Salmons are dead and Bears pooooped “Salmon Life Energy” deep into the forest to fertilize the Trees, there will be little Salmons hatching, swimming to the oceans and the cycle will start anew.

Edited by Mi-Shell