Skip to content

Best Tdm Deck for Beginners

Featured Replies

Sorry if it was already mentioned in this thread but you have as well this one which is the reproduction (unrestored so colors aren't vibrant) of the Conver 1761.

And the quality-price ratio here is pretty good!

I note it because I saw lately elsewhere the same deck (but in a different edition) at a price really high!

Here is the deck on Amazon UK

 

2 minutes ago, Decan said:

Sorry if it was already mentioned in this thread but you have as well this one which is the reproduction (unrestored so colors aren't vibrant) of the Conver 1761.

And the quality-price ratio here is pretty good!

I note it because I saw lately elsewhere the same deck (but in a different edition) at a price really high!

Here is the deck on Amazon UK

 

I've seen that one but the stark white borders keep putting me off. It just feels wrong seeing those on a historical reproduction. But the price is of course an important factor. 

That's true here for the white borders... and it wouldn't have been too difficult to improve that, well.

I would like as well to add that the expensive deck that I saw at a high price is the Jean Dodal not the Conver but there is a "family resemblance" somehow 🙂

Otherwise the Paul Marteau is likely a great choice for a Marseille honestly!

On topic: As someone said, they all work. But I suppose a deck in the Conver genre would be a good place to start. Despite its eccentricities, Jodo's TdM is popular and, as they say, operative. Yoav Ben-Dov's CBD tarot is also easy to get hold of and is, imo, a smashing deck.

 

Off topic:

 

8 minutes ago, devin said:

On topic: As someone said, they all work. But I suppose a deck in the Conver genre would be a good place to start. Despite its eccentricities, Jodo's TdM is popular and, as they say, operative. Yoav Ben-Dov's CBD tarot is also easy to get hold of and is, imo, a smashing deck.

 

Off topic:

 

The off topic bit was the best one - now I have something to watch later when I enjoy my cup of coffee. Thank you  :bubble_blovekiss:

19 minutes ago, devin said:

On topic: As someone said, they all work. But I suppose a deck in the Conver genre would be a good place to start. Despite its eccentricities, Jodo's TdM is popular and, as they say, operative. Yoav Ben-Dov's CBD tarot is also easy to get hold of and is, imo, a smashing deck.

 

 

Hi devin (god, I really need to answer your email--- sorry). All tarot decks are operative. Even those with cats or vampires on it. Even those that have switched the place of numer 8 and number 11 seem to work. 

 

CBD is a very good suggestion for a TdM. 

 

Conver like I said previously is King of the TdM.

 

 

 

 

1 hour ago, Marigold said:

Conver like I said previously is King of the TdM.

Ah yes I just read it!

As an aside - to help those who haven't registered the difference between the various types of decks - I offer a pdf on TdM symbolism (its "secret code") specifically dealing with the Conver. It's in French - an English translation is on the way - and I don't know how "good" it is, as I am working my way through it with my own limited knowledge of the subject - it's high time I put as much time in on it as I did, finally, on the Thoth - if Marigold or le roi could perhaps find the time to evaluate, as they can rip through it in seconds....

Le code secret du Tarot de Marseille - Mars 2011.pdf

29 minutes ago, gregory said:

As an aside - to help those who haven't registered the difference between the various types of decks - I offer a pdf on TdM symbolism (its "secret code") specifically dealing with the Conver. It's in French - an English translation is on the way - and I don't know how "good" it is, as I am working my way through it with my own limited knowledge of the subject - it's high time I put as much time in on it as I did, finally, on the Thoth - if Marigold or le roi could perhaps find the time to evaluate, as they can rip through it in seconds....

Le code secret du Tarot de Marseille - Mars 2011.pdf 7.92 MB · 0 downloads

This is so exciting! Looking forward to the English translation! 

2 hours ago, gregory said:

As an aside - to help those who haven't registered the difference between the various types of decks - I offer a pdf on TdM symbolism (its "secret code") specifically dealing with the Conver.

This is very generous of you, Gregory. Thank you!

It's not MINE - I just happened to have it about my person from another forum !

Ah yes, just saw the author's name in the pdf. Thank you all the same for sharing. 🙂

Here is my copy of the 90th anniversary set. I got it the other week from amazon.fr

 

Its essentially the same as the current standard edition. Some of the images seem sharper and the card stock might be better (I don’t have one to compare directly - I have given it to my niece upon acquiring this version). It’s a nice set and will be my spare. 

4B01C665-33F6-492D-BD30-B7D9268E3E63.jpeg

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

Thank you. Sadly, both Amazon UK and Amazon Fr don't ship to Australia, so I'll either have to get it shipped to family in the Emerald Isle and then forwarded to me here, or try EBay. I'll try Ebay first. I just love the colour of that box. (Is that a crazy reason to want to buy it - in addition to the other considerations...)

Nice. Mine is supposed to arrive on Friday. (And amazon signed me up to prime even though I carefully went through every last step to say NO NO NO. Be careful, people.)

1 minute ago, gregory said:

Nice. Mine is supposed to arrive on Friday. (And amazon signed me up to prime even though I carefully went through every last step to say NO NO NO. Be careful, people.)

I endeavour not to use them. My Lenormand book will be out of print from April as I don’t like being affiliated with them. Magika should have the cards and esoteric shop (German) should do soon enough. 

15 minutes ago, Starlight said:

Thank you. Sadly, both Amazon UK and Amazon Fr don't ship to Australia, so I'll either have to get it shipped to family in the Emerald Isle and then forwarded to me here, or try EBay. I'll try Ebay first. I just love the colour of that box. (Is that a crazy reason to want to buy it - in addition to the other considerations...)

Or maybe a member who has prime can help you buy a copy and send it to you? I don’t have prime and so we would have to pay twice for shipping, otherwise I would have tried to help you. 

Did anyone figure out exactly how limited this limited edition is? 

56 minutes ago, Raggydoll said:

Or maybe a member who has prime can help you buy a copy and send it to you? I don’t have prime and so we would have to pay twice for shipping, otherwise I would have tried to help you. 

Thanks Raggydoll! I actually managed to source a deck on Abebooks. Woo hoo! Should have it before Christmas. :)

amazon bought abe too. Just saying.... (I try not to use them on the whole, but on the other hand... I am very much with le roi in principle, but find it tough in practice...)

They own Book Depository too, don't they? I've purchased books/cards from Wordery, Boomerang Books, QBD, and Booktopia in the past, but sometimes there's no other choice. 😞

Sadly yes. I buy from amazon SELLERS through amazon - wordery, betterbooks and others are charities and give their profits to literacy work, so....

Yeah Amazon owns pretty much everything. But they do NOT own TT&M! 😁🥳

 

 

According to the images given by Andy above , we can see that it is a "Marteau Mark II" deck (i.e. the standard Grimaud with the dice and tulip), and not a reproduction of the 1930 fleur-de-lys edition. This might bother some collectors, but for everyone else I think it shouldn't make a difference.

Edited by _R_

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.