Ethnic Tarot Decks

DarkNJuju

Being a reader of African American Descendant I have found the majority of card unrelatable. I am curious which deck would your recommend for a reader who is not European. I am a fan of the Modern Witch's Tarot Deck because it is very inclusive but there other decks that are just as inclusive when it comes to images? I truly look forward to hearing your answers. I have placed an advanced order for the Hoodoo Tarot deck. I am literally sitting on the edge of my sit for that. Are there others that the images' beautiful and respectful of the non European people? 

The Dust II Onyx is the most unique and beautiful I've seen. https://dust2onyx.com/

There's other decks like the Melanated Classic Tarot that are basically RWS clones, but Dust II Onyx is special, IMHO.

Edited by katrinka

The Black Power Tarot is finally being reprinted. https://khannibalism.bandcamp.com/merch/the-black-power-tarot-by-khaneaton
It's a Tarot de Marseilles copy, Majors only. What makes it interesting is that it features famous people. You can see the list of them here if you scroll down. https://littleredtarot.com/product/black-power-tarot/
More information here: https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/jpvb8g/black-power-tarot-cards-feature-billie-holiday-andre-3000

I'm an African American tarot reader also. I haven't had much issue with not seeing myself represented in the cards, as they are archetypes which are raceless and genderless despite how they might be depicted. Also, my first deck was the Mythic Tarot and Greek Mythology doesn't have (m)any black people in it. In 1991 when I bought that deck, I doubt there were any decks featuring black people on the market.

The iTongo Tarot is missing from Aeclectic's list of African-themed decks even though it's shown on Aeclectic's site - http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/itongo/.

I would avoid the Vudu tarot as the creator shafted those of us who funded the deck on Kickstarter. We got some of the digital rewards, but never received the decks, which he then turned around and started selling on makeplayingcards, I believe.

My biggest issue with the African American Tarot was that there was no rhyme or reason given to why African Americans like Martin Luther King and Harriet Tubman were assigned to the particular cards they appeared on.

The New Orleans Voodoo Tarot was one of the first 10 decks I bought back in the early 90s when I first started with Tarot. I've yet to use it though. Every time I pull it out, I realize that I have to learn a completely new system and back it goes in the box. It does stay on my list of decks to study when I have more time. A reader who went by the handle Afrosaxon on a number of forums expertly used the deck though.

Welcome @DarkNJuju and thank you for starting out with such an important question.  There is a thread here at TT&M that you are sure to find helpful as well - 

I'm guessing your avatar is a picture of you?  You are beautiful!  My avatar is a picture of me but I haven't looked like that in 67 years.  I'm still white of course, but one of my four children, four of my nine grandchildren, and all of my three great grandchildren are not.  The issue of diversity is important to me on a personal level as well as political, sociological, moral and other levels.  I see how differently the world treats my white and my African American/Hispanic/Native North and South American/Native Caribbean/various combinations thereof loved ones, and how I am less often but still too often treated differently when I am with various ones of them.

Anyway, enough about me.  I'm looking forward to getting to know you and again, welcome!

Love, Grandma  

I would avoid the Vudu tarot as the creator shafted those of us who funded the deck on Kickstarter. We got some of the digital rewards, but never received the decks, which he then turned around and started selling on makeplayingcards, I believe.

Whoa, he sure did. The comments... https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vudutarot/the-new-vudu-vodou-tarot-and-espiritismo-tarot-rel/comments

(Have you tried getting a refund through paypal or your bank?)

My biggest issue with the African American Tarot was that there was no rhyme or reason given to why African Americans like Martin Luther King and Harriet Tubman were assigned to the particular cards they appeared on.

Do you mean the Black Power Tarot? There's some explanation to be found in interviews and articles, but I don't know what kind of information comes with the deck itself since I missed the first printing. (I want to be 100% sure the reprint is happening before ordering.)
The African American Tarot doesn't appear to picture anyone like that. http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/african-american/

Edited by katrinka
29 minutes ago, katrinka said:

Do you mean the Black Power Tarot? There's some explanation to be found in interviews and articles, but I don't know what kind of information comes with the deck itself since I missed the first printing. (I want to be 100% sure the reprint is happening before ordering.)
The African American Tarot doesn't appear to picture anyone like that. http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/african-american/

No, it's the African American Tarot. In the 2-10 of the Minors there are inset images of African Americans. I believe they're identified in the LWB (can't get to my deck right now) but nothing is said about why that person is associated with that card. If you look closely at the Aeclectic images, you can see the insets in the 3P, 5W and 6S.

51 minutes ago, Rodney said:

No, it's the African American Tarot. In the 2-10 of the Minors there are inset images of African Americans. I believe they're identified in the LWB (can't get to my deck right now) but nothing is said about why that person is associated with that card. If you look closely at the Aeclectic images, you can see the insets in the 3P, 5W and 6S.

Ah, thanks. Yes, I see what you mean now (though I can't identify them, either.)
That's an issue with a lot of LS decks in general. They put people and things on cards that don't seem to make sense there, and never offer an explanation.

Another African American reader her 👋Ancestrally I'm African American (dad) and Irish-American (mom) and tend to be drawn to diverse decks like the Goddess Tarot and the Science Tarot. The iTongo which @Rodney already mentioned is a great deck. The list @Grandma linked above has a great list of diverse decks. The Afro Goddess deck on that list might be one to look at. I don't think the Light Seer's Tarot is on the list (that's probably one to add, @Raggydoll!) but you might want to look at that as well. Also try Tarot of the Orishas.

On 11/30/2019 at 2:04 PM, Rodney said:

I finally had a chance to get my African American Tarot LWB. Here's are examples of the poor descriptions in the LWB:

3 Pentacles - Age' (good (sic) of hunting, Benin and Togo) and Benjamin Banneker (Village near Baltimore 1731, Ellicott City, Maryland, 1806) - Mastery of an art, great ability, skill. Craft, specialization, celebrity.

5 Wands - Olokun and the chameleon (Nigeria) and Denmark Vesey (St. Thomas, Santo Domingo, 1767, Charleston, South Carolina, 1822) - Imitation, simulation, camouflage. Test, training, preparation.

6 Swords - Ngunza traps Death (Angola) and Daniel Hale Williams (Hollidaysburg, Pennsylvania, 1858, Nashville, Tennessee, 1931 - Reasoning, curiosity, experimentation. Travel, move to another place, experience.

Those appear to be birth and death dates for the African Americans. Why use the extra space to include location of birth and death instead of include some more pertinent info about each figure? I shake my head at the wasted opportunity that is this deck every time I look at it.

Edited by Rodney