Which card would you associate with guilt?

Iiwi

I'm having a bit of a hard time pinpointing which card I would read as guilt. The 5 of Cups could be a possibility, but it just doesn't seem to hit the nail on the head... Any suggestions? Or do you think guilt would be best described as a card combination?  Thanks

I’d probably say a card combination? 5oC is a goody, and maybe a combination of 9oS with Judgement for self inflicted guilt, or with the Devil for guilt over relationship issues etc...

if the 9oS and inverted Judgement comes up, 9 times out if ten there’s a ton of anxiety attached to guilt and shame!

Hmmmmmm... Dont see it so much in 9Swords/Devil... But Yes.  I'm TOTALLY seeing the 9/Swords and Judgment reversed. 

Pain over a poor decision 

Edited by Iiwi

SparklePuffy

I would probably not see guilt per se in a certain card or cards, but it could come up if they see a situation that they feel guilty about.

One person saw a baby, and that prompted a conversation. But I could imagine guilt being related to the Pope card! High Priestess is a possibility for secrets. Maybe the 8 of Cups figure is leaving due to guilt, etc.

53rdspirit

The Hanged Man (Traitor) makes me think of one with/feeling guilt or of being/feeling guilty. 

Grizabella

I'm a card combination girl. I'd say 7 of Swords, 9 of Swords and Judgment (and/or Justice) could get into the running. I'd see the 9 of Swords as pointing to the dread of consequences if found guilty or found out rather than shame at the action, though.

Hmmmmmm... I've never seen the Hanged Man as traitor - more as sacrifice... so I'll have to think on that one...

Grizabella, I follow the 7 Swords, 9 Swords, Judgement (or Justice) I can see the 9 of Swords as being mortified at what you've done though... shame I guess

Edited by Iiwi

I’m very new to this and still forming my ideas about the individual cards but when I seen the hanging man i’ve been looking at it from a more internal psychological view, like seeing from a new perspective, completely new. So when does the more situational(?) picture of a traitor a sacrifice come in in your experience?

On 5/31/2020 at 11:52 PM, Iiwi said:

Hmmmmmm... I've never seen the Hanged Man as traitor - more as sacrifice... so I'll have to think on that one...

20 minutes ago, Geo6900 said:

So when does the more situational(?) picture of a traitor a sacrifice come in in your experience?

Check it out: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittura_infamante

Pittura infamante (pronounced [pitˈtuːra iɱfaˈmante]; Italian for "defaming portrait"; plural pitture infamanti) is a genre of defamatory painting and relief, common in Renaissance Italy in city-states in the north and center of the Italian Peninsula during the Trecento, Quattrocento, and Cinquecento.[1] Popular subjects of pittura infamante include traitors, thieves, and those guilty of bankruptcy or public fraud, often in cases where no legal remedy was available. Commissioned by governments of city-states and displayed in public centers, pittura infamante were both a form of "municipal justice" (or "forensic art"[2]) and a medium for internal political struggles.[3]
According to Samuel Edgerton, the genre began to decline precisely when it came to be regarded as a form of art rather than effigy; the power of the genre derived from a feudal-based code of honor, where shame was one of the most significant social punishments.[1] As such, pittura infamante has its roots in the doctrines of fama and infamia in ancient Roman law.[4]

The Hanged Man from Tarot decks is thought to be typical of pittura infamante frescoes, although none are extant.

220px-Schandbild.jpg220px-Pitturainfamantesketch.jpgJean_Dodal_Tarot_trump_12.jpg

So many cards for guilt....

worrying about being caught

- 9 of Swords (the nightmares / anxiety/ worry)

- 10 of Wands (the burden of it)

- 2 of Swords (ignoring the situation)

- 5 of Cups (feeling remorse about what you have done)

- Devil (realising you are caught in negative behaviours currently)

- Nine of Wands (paranoia about being found out)

getting away with it

- Seven of Swords (the reversed version of this is getting busted in the end!)

- Six of Wands (victory!)

getting caught

- Justice (justice will be served and you will get what you fairly deserve) (the reversal could be unfair and you could be innocent!)

- Hanged Man (caught and left to think about it!)

- Judgement (the reversal of this card can show real regret over it)

I think the Tower can both show getting away with it or getting caught, it's a shock decision if you are caught!

I would after say the  9 of swords, this card often indicates a feeling of anxiety and guilt around a situation. The seven of swords is also a card of trying to get away without getting caught, it can also mean trying to hide something from someone. 

Edited by TarotMuse

I would see many cards depending on the situation.

Guilt as a powerful way of coercing people could be the Hierophant.

Guilt as in feeling guilty for something not because someone taught you to be guilty, but because you are aware that you’ve done wrong, I could associate with Judgement or even the High Priestess. (« You know very well what you did... »)

In a more mundane setting, I could see guilt in the 5/cups (a feeling that you have trouble letting go ; in that case, I would tend to see guilt as out of proportion, like when parents feel guilty about something even though they did the best they could for their children), 7/swords (especially in the case of a feeling of guilt that won’t admit, even to yourself) and perhaps the 8/swords (especially when you feel that you’ve let a situation rot for so long that now it’s inextricable).

9 of Swords definetly. Also The Hanged Man if you interpret it as a card of punishment, the King or Queen of Swords both look like they are judging you harshly. There's also Justice.

ImaginaryFriend

For me it's the 5 of Cups.  I tend to get myself into trouble with my impulsive actions, then look back and say "why did I do that!?" Then I drown myself in guilt and self-pity (which are really two sides of the same coin).  I guess the key to overcoming this guilt is to fix the mess you made as best you can, then turn around, stop living in the past, and embrace what the future has to offer.  Drink deeply from the two remaining cups and live your life with no regrets.

I think there are a lot a pretty solid suggestions.   For me, guilt comes out in readings in at least three flavors and I can't point to any definitive card combo though there are usually cups especially reversals, and cards with astrological attributions that point to water.  Guilt is one of those "I just know it when I see/feel it" kinds of things as I look at the cards + listen to a querent.  Most complicated emotions are.   But here are the most usual ways that guilt shows up most often in readings for me.

1) Guilt with fear and/or deception:  The querent or person identified in reading did something wrong intentionally and now their biggest concern is getting caught.  They want to escape the consequences and that is really what matters to them.  

2)Guilt with shame: The querent or person identified in reading has self-loathing or has been gaslit into believing they are unfit and should feel guilty.  Something about them brings them such deep pain and any action they take that brings this part of themselves they want to be rid of to the surface causes them guilt and the burden of simply being themselves is causing a lot of depression and other unhappiness.  They just want to stop feeling so unhappy and to be at fault for other people's unhappiness (in their minds this is real even if they are told otherwise).

3)Guilt for acting out of character or making a specific mistake:  The querent or the person identified in reading did something they consider wrong by accident.  They yelled, they broke or lost something, they did something impulsively or in the heat of the moment and it caused or will cause them a breach with someone that matters to them.  They want to either fix the damage or find a way to apologize and fix things so that the relationship itself can heal.

I think I could see the 5 of swords as guilt or shame (either upright or reversed) maybe combined with Judgement reversed. I often hear the 5 of swords described as a pyrrhic victory. So, if you see that the victory was won at too great a cost, maybe you regret the actions taken to get you there. 

I think it depends on the context of the cards in a reading, there are a few sword cards that can represent guilt or shame like the 5 of swords  and 9 of swords, for a reading to do with theft the 7 of swords will usually show up. For emotional guilt the 5 of cups will give me an idea if this is to do with guilt over loss, 

2 hours ago, Aliki said:

It really depends do you mean showing someone is guilty or if someone's feeling guilty about something they did?

@Aliki its an old thread but I like the question. Someone feeling guilty? There are so many different kinds of guilt. Like 5 cups might be remorse or regret. Not guilt per se. 8 cups might be a spiritual journey after you become sick of your worldliness. 9 swords is someone crushed under the weight of their guilt so it causes anxiety. Tower when you've done something really awful. I don't think it could be seen from just one card, tho. It would be a combination. I once had a client who felt very guilty for cheating on her husband. It was a bunch of cards. Cards that showed the infidelity + cards that showed her guilty feelings about it. I don't remember ... but I think her guilt feelings appeared as Tower and 9 swords. Long time ago. Hard to remember.

4 hours ago, Misterei said:

@Aliki its an old thread but I like the question. Someone feeling guilty? There are so many different kinds of guilt. Like 5 cups might be remorse or regret. Not guilt per se. 8 cups might be a spiritual journey after you become sick of your worldliness. 9 swords is someone crushed under the weight of their guilt so it causes anxiety. Tower when you've done something really awful. I don't think it could be seen from just one card, tho. It would be a combination. I once had a client who felt very guilty for cheating on her husband. It was a bunch of cards. Cards that showed the infidelity + cards that showed her guilty feelings about it. I don't remember ... but I think her guilt feelings appeared as Tower and 9 swords. Long time ago. Hard to remember.

I highly agree on the 9 of swords and that you can see so many kinds of guilt this is what i thought about too yes combinations cards around are definitely important to tell 

If The Devil stands for sin and temptation, I take The Devil Reversed to mean its redemptive aftermath: guilt, repentance, and ultimately forgiveness. 

12 hours ago, Akhilleus said:

If The Devil stands for sin and temptation, I take The Devil Reversed to mean its redemptive aftermath: guilt, repentance, and ultimately forgiveness. 

I typically don't read reversals ... but yes ... I can see Devil R as remorse for succumbing to the temptation or repentance for the sin.

And taking it the other way ... like how to tell *if* a person is guilty ... then [to me] Devil definitely shows the person did wrong ... a guilty party. Someone with bad motives.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.