Inaccurate readings

RosieBlack

RosieBlack

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I couldn't find any other sections it seemed to fit into.

So I'm finding most of my readings to be inaccurate. Many of them relate to things that have yet to pass as they refer to them as a bigger picture, but when I'm doing readings about my day or week or mind/body state they don't happen or aren't accurate. I've heard people say that the cards never lie and if the reading seems inaccurate it's because you aren't looking at the message the cards are sending. But if, for instance, I ask what my day will be like and I get 2 of cups it suggests romance or budding friendships and nothing like that happens for the day, I'm not sure what to think. 

Am I doing this wrong? Am I just not connecting with the cards? With some of the readings the cards do seem to form a picture where they all fit together, but if those readings are inaccurate then I'm thinking that all my readings are inaccurate. Thoughts?

I don't think you're doing anything wrong. It's not easy.

There is a lot more to the 2 of Cups than romance, have a look at e.g. Joan Bunning's site http://www.learntarot.com/c2.htm

For the card of the day to be honest I find it easier to actually draw a card at the end of the day and then reflect: what happened during my day that could connect to the card? that way I don't sit and wait in case of the 2 of Cups for the budding romance appearing, but in reflection I can come up with things like: I got a text from a dear friend to meet and connect, I had a harmonic interaction at work with my sometimes difficult coworker, maybe I'd even link the card to the fact I'm finally allowed to sit with my coworkers again at the same table for teabreak and lunch and not 2 meters apart from each other. It might help you to widen the aspects of the cards a bit too. 

RosieBlack
54 minutes ago, Rupicapra said:

I don't think you're doing anything wrong. It's not easy.

There is a lot more to the 2 of Cups than romance, have a look at e.g. Joan Bunning's site http://www.learntarot.com/c2.htm

For the card of the day to be honest I find it easier to actually draw a card at the end of the day and then reflect: what happened during my day that could connect to the card? that way I don't sit and wait in case of the 2 of Cups for the budding romance appearing, but in reflection I can come up with things like: I got a text from a dear friend to meet and connect, I had a harmonic interaction at work with my sometimes difficult coworker, maybe I'd even link the card to the fact I'm finally allowed to sit with my coworkers again at the same table for teabreak and lunch and not 2 meters apart from each other. It might help you to widen the aspects of the cards a bit too. 

Thanks for this. The problem with this is that I actually have been having trouble making friends and I don't see many people in a daily basis or even talk to anyone so I very highly doubt the 2 of cups is going to be accurate about my day at all. There is someone I like from my past but I very much doubt I'm going to hear from him today as I asked about hearing from him yesterday and got a positive response and I didn't hear from him. So other than him, I don't see any other relationships it could refer to. Perhaps I'll take another look at the other cards in the spread and see if there are any opposing cards that may change me meaning slightly as per the link you sent. 

It is hard, but some cards cards seem to have a very straightforward meaning (like 2 of cups). It's so confusing and I'm having trouble having faith in any readings done by me or for me now 😔

Edited by RosieBlack

I think the point is that a card's meaning can manifest in a very small and mundane way. This is particular the case with daily and weekly readings.

So, for the 2 of Cups we could have: watching a rom-com, giving someone a piece of gum, fetching a glass of water, getting a nice smile from a stranger, having a chat with your mom, doing something you enjoy, filling your fish pond, blah, blah, blah.

Not that all of the above would be important enough to show up in a reading, but you get the idea, right?

Then again, maybe one of the following factors is also in play.

1) You're not paying attention to all the cards that show up in the spread. A bummer card can cancel out a positive one, or change its meaning.

2) Maybe you're obsessing over the issue, asking the same question over and over. This is a sure-fire way to produce muddy readings. The master speaks but once (or maybe two or three times). It is up to the student to accept the answer given and do with it what they will. (This, of course, does not mean that one is obliged to believe anything derived through divination.)

3) Or maybe you're heavily invested in getting an certain answer? This can sometimes skew things. Though this depressing phenomena usually manifests as an extremely bleak answer when one is desperate for a positive one.

4) In my experience, the Tarot does occasionally throw up a dud answer. It happens. But if it's happening a lot.... then you're probably doing something wrong.

Practice makes better.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Edited by devin

RosieBlack

@devin Thanks for your input. I didn't realise cards could manifest in mundane ways, that's interesting.

I checked the rest of the cards in the spread and all were positive, but maybe together they form a picture that I'm not seeing. The others are 9 of wands, Justice, The World, The Chariot. In my guide book the world has a negative meaning mostly but all other interpretations seem to be positive and the rest of the cards in the spread appear to be positive too. I know the 9 of wands is about a struggle, but it talks of the end being in sight. I notice a few major arcanas in there which seems hard to interpret in a daily reading, right? They refer to major life events as far as I understand it, or maybe more important aspects of my day. But none of those cards seem to make sense in terms of my day as generally my days are quite mundane and those cards sound like big things happening.

I don't ask the same question in a day generally, I ask each day about how that day is going to be and, considering the question, doesn't seem to be too often. I'm not heavily invested in a certain answer. Generally I'm only asking to check the accuracy of my readings because if those answers are inaccurate then it suggest that the rest are too. A few times when reading for/about other people the cards seem to resonate with them, but they have been inaccurate a few times too. So yes it's happening a lot and I'm not sure what it is I'm doing wrong. 

Sometimes when I ask a question (like how someone feels about me), I am pretty invested in getting a certain answer, however, I find the answer to that is mostly positive with a few negatives thrown in. For example it may tell me that someone really likes me and wants a future with me (10 of cups), but then I also get the hanged man in the same spread, which suggests that person doesn't want to act on those feelings or feels uncertain what to do. I've asked this same question a few times to check if the energy has changed and pretty much get the same answer every time.

What everyone has said so far. It's helpful to ramp down your interpretations - and do consider neighboring cards!

Additionally, don't forget to consider elemental dignities. I made the mistake of neglecting them here:

The irrelevance of the King of Rods in such a key position stumped me until I realized that it was abutted by Earth and Water (Swords are water in that deck.) Both Earth and Water put Fire out. They smother it. The same thing is happening with that 10 of Rods that I was having trouble with: it has Fire on one side and Water on the other. The reading made very little sense until I took these things into consideration.

And it's very easy to use this technique. Everything is clearly explained in this thread:

(Of course if you're using a RWS type deck, Swords will be Air and Cups will be Water.)

58 minutes ago, RosieBlack said:

I checked the rest of the cards in the spread and all were positive, but maybe together they form a picture that I'm not seeing. The others are 9 of wands, Justice, The World, The Chariot. In my guide book the world has a negative meaning mostly but all other interpretations seem to be positive and the rest of the cards in the spread appear to be positive too.

I'd have to see how the cards fell to comment on that.
I'm not sure about that guidebook of yours, though. The World is an ending, but it's completion, it's not a negative card. It's like when you get a big pile of dishes washed and put away, or when you finish a project. Of course, it could be saying that something indicated by a neighboring card is finished, but generally in a satisfactory manner. Card order matters. Suit energies and elemental dignities matter, too. Hope this helps.

5 hours ago, RosieBlack said:

It is hard, but some cards cards seem to have a very straightforward meaning (like 2 of cups). It's so confusing and I'm having trouble having faith in any readings done by me or for me now 😔

4 hours ago, devin said:

I think the point is that a card's meaning can manifest in a very small and mundane way. This is particular the case with daily and weekly readings.

4 hours ago, RosieBlack said:

I don't ask the same question in a day generally, I ask each day about how that day is going to be and, considering the question, doesn't seem to be too often. I'm not heavily invested in a certain answer. Generally I'm only asking to check the accuracy of my readings because if those answers are inaccurate then it suggest that the rest are too. A few times when reading for/about other people the cards seem to resonate with them, but they have been inaccurate a few times too. So yes it's happening a lot and I'm not sure what it is I'm doing wrong. 

@katrinka pulled some really good links for you.  

Something to try would be asking a 3 part question like  1) How Do I Feel Right Now?    2) How Is My Mood Going To Effect My Day?   3) What Can I Do To Have A Really Good Day?

1) If the card doesn't fit how you are actually feeling in the slightest, if there isn't something in it that matches your present?  Then you have a really clear experience of divergence between card reality and your reality.  

2) This centers the reading on you vs. random forces in the universe 

3) This gives you a road map to follow.

This is only one example of 101 kinds of questions that I personally find really useful and also easy to do.  Journals and keeping track of readings and cards also helps.

What deck are you currently using?   How do you like it in general?   Spending time not just reading the cards but studying the pictures and looking for favorites and figuring out what you like most about them, just building affinity for the deck itself and looking at what makes a reading end up feeling inaccurate (keeping a journal helps with this) can lead to a lot of insight.

Edited by TheLoracular

marinaoracles
8 hours ago, RosieBlack said:

Am I doing this wrong? Am I just not connecting with the cards? With some of the readings the cards do seem to form a picture where they all fit together, but if those readings are inaccurate then I'm thinking that all my readings are inaccurate. Thoughts?

I will start by saying that I have always found daily readings particularly difficult, because you really have to "get"  the cards in a mundane and microscopic scale. And this requires you to know your oracle very well - you need to know it well enough to have built a vocabulary that includes a big range of sensible possibilities for each card. And you also have to know your deck well enough so that intuition might come to play... that is, you will get a "feeling" about the cards and will know better which aspect they are referring to in that mundane level. 

And no, that's not easy. It requires practice. You will have to sit down with the deck and do readings frequently enough in order to start building this vocabulary. At first, you will only do this retroactively, i.e. how did this card show up in my day? And that doesn't feel like "prediction", which may be frustrating.

Also, I find that intention tends to play a role in a reading. The most focused your intention when asking the cards - regardless if it's about a daily thing or a major life change -, the more "focused" your reading tends to be. The more general your inquiry, the more general the answer. 

Now, for daily readings, there are times in our lives that are very busy, and we are highly invested in everything that is happening to us, so when we draw our daily cards, they tend to be very to the point. But... there are times in which we are in doldrums and things are moving slowly. When you try to pull the cards, they seem vague or inaccurate, or relating to superficial stuff like breaking a glass or stubbing your toe. But the fact is that you really aren't as invested - as focused - on your coming day. And that's entirely normal!

My suggestion, if you want to keep verifying the accuracy of your readings, is that you begin by doing the daily exercise backwards. Pull the cards and make hypotheses about them. At the end of the day, see how they might have manifested, check if your hypotheses were right or wrong or close. This will help you to build the vocabulary I mentioned beforehand, to know how the cards communicate to you in more mundane levels. Or, try weekly readings instead, which give you a larger timespan to see how the cards' meanings manifest in your life. 

I used to do that, but I stopped for many years. Now I'm starting it again, because I truly lost the "fluency" I had with the cards. The oracles are like a language, you need to practice regularly in order to build a more intuitive and organic understanding of what they are saying.

Edited by marinaoracles
typo, as usual!

RosieBlack
4 hours ago, katrinka said:

What everyone has said so far. It's helpful to ramp down your interpretations - and do consider neighboring cards!

Additionally, don't forget to consider elemental dignities. I made the mistake of neglecting them here:

The irrelevance of the King of Rods in such a key position stumped me until I realized that it was abutted by Earth and Water (Swords are water in that deck.) Both Earth and Water put Fire out. They smother it. The same thing is happening with that 10 of Rods that I was having trouble with: it has Fire on one side and Water on the other. The reading made very little sense until I took these things into consideration.

And it's very easy to use this technique. Everything is clearly explained in this thread:

(Of course if you're using a RWS type deck, Swords will be Air and Cups will be Water.)

I'd have to see how the cards fell to comment on that.
I'm not sure about that guidebook of yours, though. The World is an ending, but it's completion, it's not a negative card. It's like when you get a big pile of dishes washed and put away, or when you finish a project. Of course, it could be saying that something indicated by a neighboring card is finished, but generally in a satisfactory manner. Card order matters. Suit energies and elemental dignities matter, too. Hope this helps.

Thanks for this. I'm unsure which elements to use for each suit as I don't know the difference between a RW deck and something different...?

I didn't have specific positions for the cards, just laid them out in a row: 9 of wands, 2 of cups, Justice, The World, The Chariot. I'm using The Wild Unknown tarot deck and I'm not sure if that's a RW type deck or not, but using the elements for each suit as you've stated and what I could find for the major arcanas the order seems to be: Fire, Air, Air, Earth, Water. I can't honestly tell anything from that order of them, but I'd say air probably strengthens fire, but then given fire is the first card I don't know how that affects things. Maybe as I get more experience I'll get better at applying the cards to mundane situations. I'm finding that hard at the moment given they could apply to absolutely anything! The 2 of cups could reference me stopping to throw a ball back to someone who threw it out of the park for all I know, or holding a door for someone or the relationship between me and my cat! The 9 of wands could relate to my mood improving after going to the gym! 😄 God this is difficult! How am I ever going to know if the cards are telling me I'm going to meet the love of my life or just enjoy some cuddles with my cat?!

Edited by RosieBlack

RosieBlack
1 hour ago, TheLoracular said:

@katrinka pulled some really good links for you.  

Something to try would be asking a 3 part question like  1) How Do I Feel Right Now?    2) How Is My Mood Going To Effect My Day?   3) What Can I Do To Have A Really Good Day?

1) If the card doesn't fit how you are actually feeling in the slightest, if there isn't something in it that matches your present?  Then you have a really clear experience of divergence between card reality and your reality.  

2) This centers the reading on you vs. random forces in the universe 

3) This gives you a road map to follow.

This is only one example of 101 kinds of questions that I personally find really useful and also easy to do.  Journals and keeping track of readings and cards also helps.

What deck are you currently using?   How do you like it in general?   Spending time not just reading the cards but studying the pictures and looking for favorites and figuring out what you like most about them, just building affinity for the deck itself and looking at what makes a reading end up feeling inaccurate (keeping a journal helps with this) can lead to a lot of insight.

I'm really confused about what you're saying about the difference in my reality and card reality...you're saying they will be seeing something different to me??? I did just pull a card to see and asked how I'm feeling right now and got the 10 of wands which, in my guide book refers to mental or physical burdens that have been weighing on my spirit and leading to depression and hopelessness. This is a pretty accurate picture of how I'm feeling right now and I do have mental health issues leading to depression. On top of it I'm having physical problems and issues in my life as well as being tired and I'm emotionally in a very low mood today. Does this mean the card reality and my own matches? And if so, what does this mean for my readings being inaccurate?

I'm using the wild unknown tarot deck. I really like it because it centres around animals an nature which are what I really find peace in and there's a lot of personal symbolism in many of the cards for me. But I guess I've not been doing this for long and really I'm unsure how to apply some cards to certain aspects of life. Like pentacles focuses on money for the most part, so trying to apply that to something like emotions is pretty difficult. There are many cards I can't apply to certain situations in fact. I am making note of the cards I pull for each question but I'm really unsure how to apply what you said at the end about looking for what makes a reading seem inaccurate...I think mainly it's the fact that the predictions don't come true or don't seem to apply to my situation. But maybe aside from the daily questions I'm asking questions that the cards can't really answer, such as timeframes or what will happen in the next few days with a certain situation. I did find a couple of predictions come true - I asked if someone would email me back one weekend and I got an email from them on Sunday night. But, I asked the same question about getting a response yesterday and the cards implied a yes and it didn't happen. I've tried asking the question both as a yes or no answer, but also in terms of "What can I expect with regards to communication from....today?" and I get the page of swords and 3 of cups - both of which seem to suggest communication of some sort, but again, maybe I'm reading the interpretations wrong because I don't know how to apply them to that situation. 

RosieBlack
1 hour ago, marinaoracles said:

I will start by saying that I have always found daily readings particularly difficult, because you really have to "get"  the cards in a mundane and microscopic scale. And this requires you to know your oracle very well - you need to know it well enough to have built a vocabulary that includes a big range of sensible possibilities for each card. And you also have to know your deck well enough so that intuition might come to play... that is, you will get a "feeling" about the cards and will know better which aspect they are referring to in that mundane level. 

And no, that's not easy. It requires practice. You will have to sit down with the deck and do readings frequently enough in order to start building this vocabulary. At first, you will only do this retroactively, i.e. how did this card show up in my day? And that doesn't feel like "prediction", which may be frustrating.

Also, I find that intention tends to play a role in a reading. The most focused your intention when asking the cards - regardless if it's about a daily thing or a major life change -, the more "focused" your reading tends to be. The more general your inquiry, the more general the answer. 

Now, for daily readings, there are times in our lives that are very busy, and we are highly invested in everything that is happening to us, so when we draw our daily cards, they tend to be very to the point. But... there are times in which we are in doldrums and things are moving slowly. When you try to pull the cards, they seem vague or inaccurate, or relating to superficial stuff like breaking a glass or stubbing your toe. But the fact is that you really aren't as invested - as focused - on your coming day. And that's entirely normal!

My suggestion, if you want to keep verifying the accuracy of your readings, is that you begin by doing the daily exercise backwards. Pull the cards and make hypotheses about them. At the end of the day, see how they might have manifested, check if your hypotheses were right or wrong or close. This will help you to build the vocabulary I mentioned beforehand, to know how the cards communicate to you in more mundane levels. Or, try weekly readings instead, which give you a larger timespan to see how the cards' meanings manifest in your life. 

I used to do that, but I stopped for many years. Now I'm starting it again, because I truly lost the "fluency" I had with the cards. The oracles are like a language, you need to practice regularly in order to build a more intuitive and organic understanding of what they are saying.

I will say that I am doing readings quite regularly and trying to get to know the cards, but I'm not sure I will ever be able to get them on a mundane level. That will be a difficult task, but I'll keep at it. Maybe asking how my day is going to be is too general, maybe I should ask things like, how will my mood be today? How will my day look in terms of personal relationships with people in my life? At the same time though, I was doing readings for my mental and physical state for the day and those were inaccurate too. But then, again, as I said above, I'm unsure how to actually apply some cards to certain situations so applying pentacles to mental state would be really hard. One day I got 5 of wands for my body (which relates to the mind and is a negative card) and then Ace of wands for my mental state. It didn't fit at all as I wasn't feeling good mentally and physically I was ok. There was also a day where I was going out to meet friends and I asked how my evening would be and all the cards pointed to things about luck changing and finances and career etc. It just didn't fit at all.

I like your suggestion about making hypotheses about the cards but I think I will find that difficult. How would you apply Justice to what might occur on your day for example? I can't at all think how that could have applied to my day today in any way, even on a mundane level. Or the moon...could you apply it to like completing a work out at the gym??

30 minutes ago, RosieBlack said:

Thanks for this. I'm unsure which elements to use for each suit as I don't know the difference between a RW deck and something different...?

I don't have the Wild Unknown. But I googled, and each card has an elemental glyph on it, making this easy. They match up with the ones in the diagram in the second thread I linked. Here, Deer is Earth and Crow is Air:

0000000000000000.jpg.f980766442040d20b7e731ed1847818b.jpg

30 minutes ago, RosieBlack said:

I can't honestly tell anything from that order of them, but I'd say air probably strengthens fire, but then given fire is the first card I don't know how that affects things.

I can't tell which suits the cards are in the Wild Unknown, since I never owned or studied it. But Air does strengthen Fire.
However, if it had been RWS, your first three cards would look like this:

000000000000000tarot.jpg.947781b5a4792434786493d53712de9c.jpg000000000000000tarot1.jpg.ada55d817de482e421a7c2d425e784d6.jpg000000000000000taror11.jpg.593ca68104da921b729807fe50094f38.jpg

Fire, Water, Air. The 2 of Cups is considerably weakened by Fire, while Air is more neutral towards it but doesn't help.  Additionally, it's attended by the 9 of Wands who has taken a beating and still has huge odds to overcome, and Justice, which tends to be cold and unemotional. And it's on the Sword side of Justice - not everyone takes that into account, but I've found it useful. The 2 of Cups doesn't have a chance.

RosieBlack
25 minutes ago, katrinka said:

I don't have the Wild Unknown. But I googled, and each card has an elemental glyph on it, making this easy. They match up with the ones in the diagram in the second thread I linked. Here, Deer is Earth and Crow is Air:

0000000000000000.jpg.f980766442040d20b7e731ed1847818b.jpg

I can't tell which suits the cards are in the Wild Unknown, since I never owned or studied it. But Air does strengthen Fire.
However, if it had been RWS, your first three cards would look like this:

000000000000000tarot.jpg.947781b5a4792434786493d53712de9c.jpg000000000000000tarot1.jpg.ada55d817de482e421a7c2d425e784d6.jpg000000000000000taror11.jpg.593ca68104da921b729807fe50094f38.jpg

Fire, Water, Air. The 2 of Cups is considerably weakened by Fire, while Air is more neutral towards it but doesn't help.  Additionally, it's attended by the 9 of Wands who has taken a beating and still has huge odds to overcome, and Justice, which tends to be cold and unemotional. And it's on the Sword side of Justice - not everyone takes that into account, but I've found it useful. The 2 of Cups doesn't have a chance.

Those pics aren't from the deck I have. The cards I have don't have any elemental symbols on them. That looks like the same artist/maker of the deck but not the same deck. The suits in my deck are the same as the regular ones: Wands, cups, swords and pentacles and then major arcanas. So would you say the elements in my deck would be the same as the RW deck then? I like how you say the 2 of cups doesn't stand a chance 😄. I guess that means it would be a really tiny part of my day then like holding a door for someone or spending time with my cat? Not sure how the other cards would then apply to my day though! Certainly facing struggles at the moment, but in terms of Justice I'm stumped. How does fire weaken water by the way? I would have thought water would weaken fire because it puts it out...?

This is the deck I have: https://www.shopexit9.com/harpercollins-wild-and-unknown-tarot.html

Ooh! Also, what if you have a spread where all cards are the same element, like fire? Say wands and then 2 major arcanas that represent fire?

Edited by RosieBlack

2 hours ago, RosieBlack said:

Those pics aren't from the deck I have. The cards I have don't have any elemental symbols on them. That looks like the same artist/maker of the deck but not the same deck.

Mea culpa! My google fu seems to have pulled up something called "The Wild AND Unknown Tarot" - and yes, it appears to be by the same artist.

The suits in my deck are the same as the regular ones: Wands, cups, swords and pentacles and then major arcanas. So would you say the elements in my deck would be the same as the RW deck then?

I don't know, but I'd go with that if the guidebook doesn't say otherwise. Those are the most commonly used associations.

I like how you say the 2 of cups doesn't stand a chance 😄. I guess that means it would be a really tiny part of my day then like holding a door for someone or spending time with my cat?

Or maybe somebody's interested but coming out of a particularly ugly relationship. Look at the 9 of Wands guy - he doesn't trust easily. He's literally watching his back. 😉 

Not sure how the other cards would then apply to my day though! Certainly facing struggles at the moment, but in terms of Justice I'm stumped. How does fire weaken water by the way? I would have thought water would weaken fire because it puts it out...?

It does. But fire can evaporate water. It works both ways.

Ooh! Also, what if you have a spread where all cards are the same element, like fire? Say wands and then 2 major arcanas that represent fire?

Then nothing is weakened. And you have a ton of Wands energy.

RosieBlack
11 minutes ago, katrinka said:

Mea culpa! My google fu seems to have pulled up something called "The Wild AND Unknown Tarot" - and yes, it appears to be by the same artist.

I don't know, but I'd go with that if the guidebook doesn't say otherwise. Those are the most commonly used associations.

Or maybe somebody's interested but coming out of a particularly ugly relationship. Look at the 9 of Wands guy - he doesn't trust easily. He's literally watching his back. 😉 

It does. But fire can evaporate water. It works both ways.

Then nothing is weakened. And you have a ton of Wands energy.

Sorry I would reply to each section but don't know how to do that on here 😬

Oh I just checked, the guiebook does say which suits are associated with which elements. and yeah it is the same. She also describes each suit as a "family" which I find strange...

Oh so you're saying the 2 of cups could apply to something that the card represents (romance), but that is way in the background and something I may not even be aware of? I know the guy from my past is still interested in me but he's not ready for a relationship and is definitely not in one or coming out of one either. Unsure what the difficult situation could be - maybe the fear of commitment is the difficult situation he's dealing with...? Considering Justice is next to it, maybe that means a truth is going to be revealed in relation to that? It's just strange that these cards have come out in relation to my daily life. Is it possible they're just there in the background of my daily read in general because they're ongoing? It would be interesting to see if there is a recurring theme like that in my daily reads.

So, if you had water and fire next to each other they would weaken each other? Quite difficult to get my head around and how to apply that! Yikes. I have a lot of learning to do...

I have no idea what a ton of Wands energy indicates but I will keep that in mind! 😄

I agree that it's important to read the cards in context. Unless your day-to-day life is extremely exciting, most cards you draw for daily readings aren't going to be about big or significant events. They can be about very tiny things. I'd also say that they can be about things that only become clear in hindisght. A random, fictional example: your reading tells you a day is going to be significant for your career but nothing actually happens that day at work. Except... you met someone new there and one day they tell you about a new opportunity that you wouldn't know about otherwise and it changes your career. I personally don't do daily readings but I think this is why people usually journal about it, so they can go through the results later and see if they add up.

You can always practice your reading skills without doing daily readings and still choose something small and low-stakes. You could read about what's going to happen in a book you're reading or a TV show you watch.

I don't know how often people still say this, but I've often heard of the risks of reading for yourself. It's very easy to misread the cards to be about what your hopes and expectations, whether they're good or bad, and not even notice you're doing it. Daily draws presumably reduce some of that risk by being about small things, but if that's still an issue for you, it's ok to read about something else!

Also, in general, if something about the way you read the cards, your booklet's interpretation or anything else isn't working for you, don't be afraid to change it and give something different a try. It sounds like you might be new-ish (I'm basing this on your comments about your deck's booklet, sorry if I'm mistaken) so you should be trying different things until you find a way of reading that feels right for you. You don't have to adhere to your deck's booklet's interpretation, you can read about how other people interpret that same card. Over time, it will also be easier for you to have your own opinions about a card.

If you want to learn really well, I'd recommend not just drawing a card and then looking it up in your book. Try to see if you remember its meaning and reflect on what it makes you think of. What are your thoughts, opinions, feelings? Look up people's discussions about that card on here and elsewhere. If you can, get other books and see what they say. You'll get a fuller picture of the card that way and it'll be easier to understand it in the future. I think you're on the right track by asking about it here.

Finally, it's very possible that the cards are wrong. I don't know why, but if you keep reading and working, you might end up being able to narrow down the issue and solve it. I hope this helps. 🙂

marinaoracles

At the same time though, I was doing readings for my mental and physical state for the day and those were inaccurate too. But then, again, as I said above, I'm unsure how to actually apply some cards to certain situations so applying pentacles to mental state would be really hard.

When reading tarot, I personally attribute the following elements to the suits:

Pentacles = Earth

Swords = Air

Wands - Fire

Cups = Water

Many people follow this too, but others have different ideas, so it's not an absolute rule. One thing that I suggest is learning about the elements and what aspects os life each of them rules. You say you can't apply Pentacles for a mental state - why, because it concerns more material issues? Pentacles for me, in a mental position, would mean I am focused on the nitty gritty of my routine, on the practical issues of my life, on my finances, or that I have worries related to a concrete matter. These are just some examples, but elements help you with things like that. If you merely see Pentacles = FINANCES, then your vocabulary gets limited. But if you think of it in terms of Earthly matters, i.e.. practical things, physical reality, the physical body, sustenance, material concerns, palpable effects etc., then you have a greater symbolic range to explore.

I like your suggestion about making hypotheses about the cards but I think I will find that difficult. How would you apply Justice to what might occur on your day for example? I can't at all think how that could have applied to my day today in any way, even on a mundane level. Or the moon...could you apply it to like completing a work out at the gym??

Thats why I suggest keeping a notebook and writing down the many different aspects you can connect to the symbol of a card, in order to develop a vocabulary in relation to them. Let's use your example, Justice card for a daily reading. It could mean having to weight between two choices, or having to choose something rationally, without the input of emotion, since Justice tends to stand for impartiality. It could mean you will have a rather "cold" day, without many excitements, or that most of your demands will be on a very mental level. Or you may have to deal with legalities, documents, bureaucracy of any sort etc. I am not suggesting these are THE RIGHT ANSWERS, only that they are possibilities that come to my mind when I think of the Justice in a mundane level.

Another example, if the Moon comes up, I can expect a muddled day. Maybe I'll be tired and sleepy or unfocused. Or maybe I'll face a situation in which I might be tricked because my attention will not be at its best. Maybe I'll go to the gym at night, hence the Moon. Maybe it'll be a bit harder to me to focus on the exercise, or I'll feel more tired, even though I complete it. Perhaps I'll get an insight while exercising, because the Moon can stand for that too. Maybe I'll have one of those days in which I wonder "why do I even bother exercising",  but do it anyway because the Moon stands for not letting yourself lose track despite the temptation to do so.

You see, that's why you have to start building your own vocabulary in relation to the cards. Imagine how the cards behave in mudane situation. How does the Tower does grocery? Maybe it's an actual earthquake, or maybe it's just the shock when you see the price of minced meat, which forces you change your plans for dinner and frustrates you. I can't really tell you what the cards are communicating for sure, you need to establish your own way of communicating with them. Hence my idea to write down hypothesis and see how they appear in the coming day.

Have a notebook. Dedicate one page to each card and write keywords that you feel are related to them. Take your time, you don't have to fill the pages in one sitting. Symbols are more profound that words precisely because they have many nuances of meaning, and also because each of them reaches us in a very particular way. People will agree on a general idea for each card, but the way we perceive them during a reading is very particular, because in a sense it's based on how we interpret life itself. 

Some perceive the Fool as freedom and innocence, other see it as chaos and lack of direction - both interpretations are possible. Which one should you pick? I don't know - what do you feel when you look at the card? Is he innocent and carefree? Could he be crazy? Surely you do have a an impression when you see the card. Do you like it? Does it make you uncomfortable? All these things are information, they tell you something, but learning to listen to these impression takes time and practice. Don't be too hard on yourself! 😉 

Edited by marinaoracles
queen of typoland

22 hours ago, RosieBlack said:

I'm really confused about what you're saying about the difference in my reality and card reality...you're saying they will be seeing something different to me??? I did just pull a card to see and asked how I'm feeling right now and got the 10 of wands which, in my guide book refers to mental or physical burdens that have been weighing on my spirit and leading to depression and hopelessness. This is a pretty accurate picture of how I'm feeling right now and I do have mental health issues leading to depression. On top of it I'm having physical problems and issues in my life as well as being tired and I'm emotionally in a very low mood today. Does this mean the card reality and my own matches? And if so, what does this mean for my readings being inaccurate?

So "my reality" means what I see when I'm looking around my room or in the mirror or walking down the street.  🙂
"card reality" means what I see when I'm staring into a tarot (or oracle) card or when I'm meditating or pathwalking, basically what the card says or shows.

Yep, it sounded like your card reality and personal reality were matching yesterday and  it means you had an accurate reading right then and there.  You aren't broken as a reader, you are just going through a lot.  I totally sympathize. 

The Wild Unknown Tarot is a beautiful deck.  I really like Kim Krauss' work.  It is also a deck that uses a lot of modern archetypes and symbolism and the lwb book is written with Kim drawing on what those images and colors meant to her as she creating and using those cards.  This is a very personalized deck, the artist/author really puts a lot of herself into it which is awesome!

But it also means it is a deck with a TON of uniqueness and in my opinion it is very deep, very mysterious and not easy to read with about mundane things.  It goes straight into the things we most desire, fear, need or need to get rid of.   So as a deck to "learn" tarot and to figure out if you are doing things right?   It is probably tricky and yet I'd personally want to start with a deck like this one, if I was going backwards and got to pick.   

I just posted a request for a The Wild Unknown Tarot study group.   I bought this deck as part of a bulk sale last month and hadn't yet opened it before today so there was a lot of synchronicity in this being your deck.  If a study group gets started this month, I hope you will join me there and it would be a good resource for you and anyone else! 

RosieBlack
50 minutes ago, TheLoracular said:

So "my reality" means what I see when I'm looking around my room or in the mirror or walking down the street.  🙂
"card reality" means what I see when I'm staring into a tarot (or oracle) card or when I'm meditating or pathwalking, basically what the card says or shows.

Yep, it sounded like your card reality and personal reality were matching yesterday and  it means you had an accurate reading right then and there.  You aren't broken as a reader, you are just going through a lot.  I totally sympathize. 

The Wild Unknown Tarot is a beautiful deck.  I really like Kim Krauss' work.  It is also a deck that uses a lot of modern archetypes and symbolism and the lwb book is written with Kim drawing on what those images and colors meant to her as she creating and using those cards.  This is a very personalized deck, the artist/author really puts a lot of herself into it which is awesome!

But it also means it is a deck with a TON of uniqueness and in my opinion it is very deep, very mysterious and not easy to read with about mundane things.  It goes straight into the things we most desire, fear, need or need to get rid of.   So as a deck to "learn" tarot and to figure out if you are doing things right?   It is probably tricky and yet I'd personally want to start with a deck like this one, if I was going backwards and got to pick.   

I just posted a request for a The Wild Unknown Tarot study group.   I bought this deck as part of a bulk sale last month and hadn't yet opened it before today so there was a lot of synchronicity in this being your deck.  If a study group gets started this month, I hope you will join me there and it would be a good resource for you and anyone else! 

Thank you for this. That sounds like a lot to get my head around with the different realities! 🥴 Do you think my current emotional state is affecting my readings or ability to read them or something? I pulled a card this morning about my mood and it was way off...said something very positive but I didn't make a note of it unfortunately. I just did another one though using a different deck (RW), and I use reversals with that deck. I got the Ace of Cups reversed. 100% accurate about my current mood, especially that that card also focuses specifically on what I'm most feeling down about right now and it's the suit of emotions too. 

Maybe I'm jumping the gum by trying to read on mundane every day issues then. Even if I used the RW deck, I still don't think I'd get it...the imagery in that deck doesn't give me any better clues so I might be better off trying to focus on specific issues. I suppose I should start small, but the only things I can think to ask about is my love life as I just don't get any clear answers in other areas. But I'm ending up asking the same questions over and over so I'm running out of things to ask!

That sounds great about the study group. I don't know how they work, but I'd find it very interesting to delve further into this deck 🙂

RosieBlack
20 hours ago, dust said:

I agree that it's important to read the cards in context. Unless your day-to-day life is extremely exciting, most cards you draw for daily readings aren't going to be about big or significant events. They can be about very tiny things. I'd also say that they can be about things that only become clear in hindisght. A random, fictional example: your reading tells you a day is going to be significant for your career but nothing actually happens that day at work. Except... you met someone new there and one day they tell you about a new opportunity that you wouldn't know about otherwise and it changes your career. I personally don't do daily readings but I think this is why people usually journal about it, so they can go through the results later and see if they add up.

You can always practice your reading skills without doing daily readings and still choose something small and low-stakes. You could read about what's going to happen in a book you're reading or a TV show you watch.

I don't know how often people still say this, but I've often heard of the risks of reading for yourself. It's very easy to misread the cards to be about what your hopes and expectations, whether they're good or bad, and not even notice you're doing it. Daily draws presumably reduce some of that risk by being about small things, but if that's still an issue for you, it's ok to read about something else!

Also, in general, if something about the way you read the cards, your booklet's interpretation or anything else isn't working for you, don't be afraid to change it and give something different a try. It sounds like you might be new-ish (I'm basing this on your comments about your deck's booklet, sorry if I'm mistaken) so you should be trying different things until you find a way of reading that feels right for you. You don't have to adhere to your deck's booklet's interpretation, you can read about how other people interpret that same card. Over time, it will also be easier for you to have your own opinions about a card.

If you want to learn really well, I'd recommend not just drawing a card and then looking it up in your book. Try to see if you remember its meaning and reflect on what it makes you think of. What are your thoughts, opinions, feelings? Look up people's discussions about that card on here and elsewhere. If you can, get other books and see what they say. You'll get a fuller picture of the card that way and it'll be easier to understand it in the future. I think you're on the right track by asking about it here.

Finally, it's very possible that the cards are wrong. I don't know why, but if you keep reading and working, you might end up being able to narrow down the issue and solve it. I hope this helps. 🙂

I think you have a point about daily readings and not having a very exciting daily life. Probably a stupid thing to do, but I've run out of things to ask about to check the accuracy of my readings. It can be frustrating, doing a weekly reading and seeing on one day something like the page of wands and I get excited thinking I'm going to be getting some good news or something and in reality it could mean that I'll just get a positive response to a text message or something! I suppose I could ask about a tv show, but that's very specific and the cards don't give specific answers in that scenario really. I wouldn't know how to interpret them in that sense. I'd probably be better off asking about the weather! 😄

I have also read people saying about the risks of reading for yourself, but I also can't afford to have readings done for myself that regularly so thought I'd see if I could do it myself as I was really interested in what my own interpretations would be of the cards that came out. The problem is that I found my interpretations to be very different to the reader so maybe you're right about seeing what we want to see in essence. But there was one time I asked a question about someone's feelings for me and one of the cards was The Emperor and the reader said that suggested he wasn't really feeling much of anything - he was pushing his feelings away and focusing on work. Whilst I knew this could be true, it just didn't seem to match with the interpretation of the card as I understand it. Personally I would have seen that more as him having feelings for me but being unable to express them (which resonates). I don't see anything in that card that suggests he's focusing on finances. I realise the emperor is not a card of emotions or feelings per se, but surely it can be applied to them...? again though, I'm not very experienced so I know I could be completely wrong. I do try to be as impartial as possible too...if I see negative cards I just try to accept them, especially if the surrounding cards are positive. But the only time I will maybe apply a more positive spin is when the regular answer doesn't fit or resonate. For example the 7 of swords is about deceit or trickery, so if it came out in a reading about this person's feelings for me I would take it to mean that he's hiding his feelings from me because it doesn't fit that he might be somehow trying to trick or deceive me. So I do my best, but sometimes even the most positive cards might not be giving the message I'm seeing. I might ask what a relationship will be like in the future and get The Lovers and I'll go, "Oh wonderful, we're soul mates and going to be together forever!" Meanwhile, it might actually mean that there will be a big decision that has to be made. So I find it virtually impossible to figure out what the actual message is at times and if it's accurate or not.

I don't stick to the guidebook's interpretation of the cards as I'd never get ANY answers that way 😄. Of course, sometimes the definitions in the book are preferable to the others I find. I usually check a bunch of websites and see if I can find a definition that is shared by multiple sources and then take that to be the most accurate. The court cards in the deck basically just describe a person, which makes it very hard to answer a question about a situation using them so I have to look online for answers. I try to use the guidebook as much as I can though and sometimes they give a more straightforward answer - like The Lovers being about a sacred love union between 2. I'm unsure how a choice can be applied to that card, but sometimes the straightforward answer doesn't fit the question. 

That's a good suggestion to check other interpretations on here. It's difficult when some people come up with their own interpretations that other sources don't seem to share and then it just adds more confusion but still worth a go! 🙂

RosieBlack
21 hours ago, marinaoracles said:

When reading tarot, I personally attribute the following elements to the suits:

Pentacles = Earth

Swords = Air

Wands - Fire

Cups = Water

Many people follow this too, but others have different ideas, so it's not an absolute rule. One thing that I suggest is learning about the elements and what aspects os life each of them rules. You say you can't apply Pentacles for a mental state - why, because it concerns more material issues? Pentacles for me, in a mental position, would mean I am focused on the nitty gritty of my routine, on the practical issues of my life, on my finances, or that I have worries related to a concrete matter. These are just some examples, but elements help you with things like that. If you merely see Pentacles = FINANCES, then your vocabulary gets limited. But if you think of it in terms of Earthly matters, i.e.. practical things, physical reality, the physical body, sustenance, material concerns, palpable effects etc., then you have a greater symbolic range to explore.

Thats why I suggest keeping a notebook and writing down the many different aspects you can connect to the symbol of a card, in order to develop a vocabulary in relation to them. Let's use your example, Justice card for a daily reading. It could mean having to weight between two choices, or having to choose something rationally, without the input of emotion, since Justice tends to stand for impartiality. It could mean you will have a rather "cold" day, without many excitements, or that most of your demands will be on a very mental level. Or you may have to deal with legalities, documents, bureaucracy of any sort etc. I am not suggesting these are THE RIGHT ANSWERS, only that they are possibilities that come to my mind when I think of the Justice in a mundane level.

Another example, if the Moon comes up, I can expect a muddled day. Maybe I'll be tired and sleepy or unfocused. Or maybe I'll face a situation in which I might be tricked because my attention will not be at its best. Maybe I'll go to the gym at night, hence the Moon. Maybe it'll be a bit harder to me to focus on the exercise, or I'll feel more tired, even though I complete it. Perhaps I'll get an insight while exercising, because the Moon can stand for that too. Maybe I'll have one of those days in which I wonder "why do I even bother exercising",  but do it anyway because the Moon stands for not letting yourself lose track despite the temptation to do so.

You see, that's why you have to start building your own vocabulary in relation to the cards. Imagine how the cards behave in mudane situation. How does the Tower does grocery? Maybe it's an actual earthquake, or maybe it's just the shock when you see the price of minced meat, which forces you change your plans for dinner and frustrates you. I can't really tell you what the cards are communicating for sure, you need to establish your own way of communicating with them. Hence my idea to write down hypothesis and see how they appear in the coming day.

Have a notebook. Dedicate one page to each card and write keywords that you feel are related to them. Take your time, you don't have to fill the pages in one sitting. Symbols are more profound that words precisely because they have many nuances of meaning, and also because each of them reaches us in a very particular way. People will agree on a general idea for each card, but the way we perceive them during a reading is very particular, because in a sense it's based on how we interpret life itself. 

Some perceive the Fool as freedom and innocence, other see it as chaos and lack of direction - both interpretations are possible. Which one should you pick? I don't know - what do you feel when you look at the card? Is he innocent and carefree? Could he be crazy? Surely you do have a an impression when you see the card. Do you like it? Does it make you uncomfortable? All these things are information, they tell you something, but learning to listen to these impression takes time and practice. Don't be too hard on yourself! 😉 

I'm not saying I only think about certain suits in terms of what they generally represent, but I find it hard to apply different situations to them. If I pull the ace of pentacles I don't know how to apply that to my mood/mental state. It also makes it difficult knowing that people who made these cards intended for them to apply to certain issues and then not knowing if it's ok to apply them to other areas. Like, if I ask how someone feels about me and I get the 6 of pentacles, I could take this to mean that their feelings are growing and becoming stronger but how do I know that the message isn't, "He doesn't have any feelings for you, he's focusing on working and earning a lot of money"? Do you know what I mean? It's hard to know what meaning to apply it to. In the same vein I could ask, is this person going to message me soon and get the 3 of cups. I could take that to mean that yes they will as they really like me and want to spend time in my company, or it could mean that no, they're too busy focusing on spending time with family and friends and have no time for me and I'm not even on their mind.

So yeah, there are a lot of potential meanings for the cards on mundane levels...that's a bit overwhelming. Like I've been saying in other posts, maybe it's best I ask more narrowed down questions. But still may find it hard to interpret the answer based on what I said above. I feel like I'm getting a "yes" if I ask whether someone will message me and I get the 2 of cups, but really it seems impossible to get an answer like that as that card could mean anything - like yes, there's a connection there but whether or not I'll hear from them remains unknown. Even when coupled with something like the page of wands (which I believe is a "messenger card"), it still doesn't necessarily mean that I'll get a message. It could purely mean they're passionate about me and nothing more. And given that I haven't gotten messages from that person, it seems that definitely wasn't the answer I was being given and I wouldn't know how to even get that sort of answer. There don't seem to be any particular cards that indicate whether or not there will be communication between you and someone else.

Thanks for all your insights though. It's going to take a lot of learning I guess, but for now maybe I shouldn't be relying on my interpretations as answers as they are clearly incorrect. I will just have to try and see what comes to fruition and what doesn't. 

47 minutes ago, RosieBlack said:

I think you have a point about daily readings and not having a very exciting daily life. Probably a stupid thing to do, but I've run out of things to ask about to check the accuracy of my readings. It can be frustrating, doing a weekly reading and seeing on one day something like the page of wands and I get excited thinking I'm going to be getting some good news or something and in reality it could mean that I'll just get a positive response to a text message or something! I suppose I could ask about a tv show, but that's very specific and the cards don't give specific answers in that scenario really. I wouldn't know how to interpret them in that sense. I'd probably be better off asking about the weather! 😄

It hasn't been my experience that you can't do readings about things like TV shows, but it doesn't matter. My point is to try to practice reading about something low-stakes that you're not invested in, record it, and then revisit it later to see if it was accurate or not.

I have also read people saying about the risks of reading for yourself, but I also can't afford to have readings done for myself that regularly so thought I'd see if I could do it myself as I was really interested in what my own interpretations would be of the cards that came out. The problem is that I found my interpretations to be very different to the reader so maybe you're right about seeing what we want to see in essence. But there was one time I asked a question about someone's feelings for me and one of the cards was The Emperor and the reader said that suggested he wasn't really feeling much of anything - he was pushing his feelings away and focusing on work. Whilst I knew this could be true, it just didn't seem to match with the interpretation of the card as I understand it. Personally I would have seen that more as him having feelings for me but being unable to express them (which resonates). I don't see anything in that card that suggests he's focusing on finances. I realise the emperor is not a card of emotions or feelings per se, but surely it can be applied to them...? again though, I'm not very experienced so I know I could be completely wrong (...)

The thing is, you don't need to have readings done for yourself. If there's any issue in your life that makes you feel like you absolutely need to constantly ask the cards about, that's exactly when I'd advise against trying to read for yourself. That's when it becomes very, very easy to project what you think or feel onto your interpretations.

Please don't take this the wrong way but (even if you don't notice it) you seem very invested in interpreting cards to mean that this guy has feelings for you. Just ask yourself, what's the point? If it's not in the cards, trying to stretch the meanings to fit it or ignore other meanings won't change anything. It'll just make it harder for you to actually learn how to read.

I don't really see anything in the Emperor that indicates romantic feelings (or otherwise) for you. It's hard to say without knowing the context of the cards. That said, it's normal for people to have different interpretations. The more useful thing you can do here is try to figure out why the reader interpreted it that way and why you interpreted it differently. Try to understand the reader's perspective and work out what your own means, how you came to that conclusion, etc..

I try to use the guidebook as much as I can though and sometimes they give a more straightforward answer - like The Lovers being about a sacred love union between 2. I'm unsure how a choice can be applied to that card, but sometimes the straightforward answer doesn't fit the question. 

See -- that's why trying to understand the symbolism and story in the cards is important. To put it very simply (and I really encourage you to look up more detailed explanations) The Lovers doesn't necessarily refer to a sacred love union between two people. It's just about a strong pull towards someone or something and doesn't even have to be romantic. It's about that feeling of "this is it". The choice comes into play because whenever you encounter someone/something that has that kind of impact, it often changes your life, and it's up to you to decide whether it's worth it or not. In my experience, it doesn't even have to be about people. For example, let's say you found a house that you can imagine spending your life in, or a career opportunity that would make your life feel more complete. Those things might have downsides or require a big decision: maybe it would mean moving far away, cutting down on expenses for a while, leaving behind friends, etc..

I hope this helps.

I suppose I could ask about a tv show, but that's very specific and the cards don't give specific answers in that scenario really.

😕

Actually, they do. Our job is to understand the cards correctly. The answer is always there on the table.

I wouldn't know how to interpret them in that sense.

That's what study and practice is for.

I'd probably be better off asking about the weather! 😄

Ask about that, too!

I have also read people saying about the risks of reading for yourself

It's fine to read for yourself. We all read for ourselves. The only "risk" is pushing the cards to say what you want, and you have to learn not to do that. A reader has to stay neutral.

But there was one time I asked a question about someone's feelings for me and one of the cards was The Emperor and the reader said that suggested he wasn't really feeling much of anything - he was pushing his feelings away and focusing on work. Whilst I knew this could be true, it just didn't seem to match with the interpretation of the card as I understand it. Personally I would have seen that more as him having feelings for me but being unable to express them (which resonates). I don't see anything in that card that suggests he's focusing on finances.

Was the reader getting that from just the Emperor, or from the Emperor combined with nearby cards? Or a certain named position? Cards are not read as little islands unto themselves.

For example the 7 of swords is about deceit or trickery, so if it came out in a reading about this person's feelings for me I would take it to mean that he's hiding his feelings from me because it doesn't fit that he might be somehow trying to trick or deceive me.

How do you know? The card is suggesting that he is. There are a lot of ways a person can be tricked or deceived. There are many people who knew - even lived with someone - for years and had no idea what they were up to. Some of these cases even involved serial killers or child molesters. I'm not saying it's THAT severe - but never ignore a timely warning.

I'm not saying I only think about certain suits in terms of what they generally represent, but I find it hard to apply different situations to them. If I pull the ace of pentacles I don't know how to apply that to my mood/mental state. It also makes it difficult knowing that people who made these cards intended for them to apply to certain issues and then not knowing if it's ok to apply them to other areas. Like, if I ask how someone feels about me and I get the 6 of pentacles, I could take this to mean that their feelings are growing and becoming stronger but how do I know that the message isn't, "He doesn't have any feelings for you, he's focusing on working and earning a lot of money"? Do you know what I mean? It's hard to know what meaning to apply it to.

It's called putting the cards in context. It has to be learned.

In the same vein I could ask, is this person going to message me soon and get the 3 of cups. I could take that to mean that yes they will as they really like me and want to spend time in my company, or it could mean that no, they're too busy focusing on spending time with family and friends and have no time for me and I'm not even on their mind.

You can see it's a good card, so it's a yes. And it's a celebration, so it could be interpreted as "Yes, around the next celebration or holiday."
Of course if it's boxed in by nasty cards, that won't happen. But the 3 of Cups itself is positive. 

Like I've been saying in other posts, maybe it's best I ask more narrowed down questions.

Yes. The more precise the question, the clearer the answer. "Will Joe call me today?" will get you something MUCH clearer than "Tell me about my day" or "What do I need to know today?"

4 hours ago, katrinka said:

How do you know? The card is suggesting that he is. There are a lot of ways a person can be tricked or deceived. There are many people who knew - even lived with someone - for years and had no idea what they were up to. Some of these cases even involved serial killers or child molesters. I'm not saying it's THAT severe - but never ignore a timely warning.

It's called putting the cards in context. It has to be learned.

Picking this bit in particular. You CANNOT assume that the cards are "wrong " because 

12 hours ago, RosieBlack said:

For example the 7 of swords is about deceit or trickery, so if it came out in a reading about this person's feelings for me I would take it to mean that he's hiding his feelings from me because it doesn't fit that he might be somehow trying to trick or deceive me. S

You want to believe that, but it ain't necessarily so. I don't read for myself because I KNOW I am prone to thinking like this. But - well, let's say  the cards tell me that the friend I am meeting tomorrow has been lying to me about something - I KNOW her; I KNOW she wouldn't. So I might try and see the reading differently.

But I cannot know that. She might be. No-one completely knows someone else. The fact that I find it hard to accept that warning does not mean I'm right and the cards are wrong. It means - be careful. (In my case it would actually mean ask someone else to read for me....!)

Edited by gregory

RosieBlack
13 hours ago, dust said:

It hasn't been my experience that you can't do readings about things like TV shows, but it doesn't matter. My point is to try to practice reading about something low-stakes that you're not invested in, record it, and then revisit it later to see if it was accurate or not.

The thing is, you don't need to have readings done for yourself. If there's any issue in your life that makes you feel like you absolutely need to constantly ask the cards about, that's exactly when I'd advise against trying to read for yourself. That's when it becomes very, very easy to project what you think or feel onto your interpretations.

Please don't take this the wrong way but (even if you don't notice it) you seem very invested in interpreting cards to mean that this guy has feelings for you. Just ask yourself, what's the point? If it's not in the cards, trying to stretch the meanings to fit it or ignore other meanings won't change anything. It'll just make it harder for you to actually learn how to read.

I don't really see anything in the Emperor that indicates romantic feelings (or otherwise) for you. It's hard to say without knowing the context of the cards. That said, it's normal for people to have different interpretations. The more useful thing you can do here is try to figure out why the reader interpreted it that way and why you interpreted it differently. Try to understand the reader's perspective and work out what your own means, how you came to that conclusion, etc..

See -- that's why trying to understand the symbolism and story in the cards is important. To put it very simply (and I really encourage you to look up more detailed explanations) The Lovers doesn't necessarily refer to a sacred love union between two people. It's just about a strong pull towards someone or something and doesn't even have to be romantic. It's about that feeling of "this is it". The choice comes into play because whenever you encounter someone/something that has that kind of impact, it often changes your life, and it's up to you to decide whether it's worth it or not. In my experience, it doesn't even have to be about people. For example, let's say you found a house that you can imagine spending your life in, or a career opportunity that would make your life feel more complete. Those things might have downsides or require a big decision: maybe it would mean moving far away, cutting down on expenses for a while, leaving behind friends, etc..

I hope this helps.

Ok fair enough re tv shows. I'm not sure I'd figure out what they're trying to say but I could give it a go. I am thinking that for example I may ask about a soap I watch and the cards tell me there will be deceit, lies, affairs, friendships, love...yeah, that's all likely to happen!😄

The next part of what you said I'll answer as best I can. I do have mental health difficulties and like to use tarot as a form of therapy giving me guidance and help on the best paths to take for me etc. And usually you'd have therapy once a week, sometimes every day depending on the type, and there are certain areas of my life I struggle with the most. I'm also obviously very fascinated by tarot and the unknown and I don't have many other hobbies so I'm investing a lot of time in this one right now. So yes, I was having bi-weekly tarot readings on a subject that was giving me a lot of anxiety (still is), but also wanted to be able to read for myself if I could so I could have them less frequently. I saw that it's advised to have readings done to help in your learning and also maybe check the discrepancies in my readings and those with the same answers. I feel readings done for me would likely be more accurate than my own, but if I see they are similar it will give me more confidence in mine. But with regards to cards like the Emperor and you saying about me projecting, I can totally see what you're saying, but in this case if the question relates specifically to someone's feelings for you surely you have to somehow try to apply that card in terms of feelings...? You have to find something in it that might relate to feelings, otherwise it seems a pretty useless card, no? And essentially you can just discard it which then makes me think it was an error of some sort. I haven't seen any definitions of that card that suggest focusing on finances which is why I didn't understand her interpretation, but a for my own I have just been trying to apply it to feelings as best I can. The only thing I've really read that has given me some insight is that the emperor uses logic over emotion, which suggests to me that he might be trying not to acknowledge his feelings. I know this is not a feeling card, but then many of the cards aren't. Still, they can be applied to many areas and types of questions. Otherwise I'd have to specifically only use cups as an indication of feelings, right? If I pull a pentacles card (which generally applies to finances), I either have to apply in in terms of feelings or say, "No this person has not feelings and they're focusing on money". So what is the right way to do it? The overall message of that question wasn't a positive one, but then the next question on what he thinks about a future with me were very positive and the reader said that too. So it's a bit of a confusing one.

I can definitely see how being emotionally invested can muddy the interpretation, but I do honestly try to remain impartial. I only look for definitions that seem to fit the other cards or that makes sense to me based on what I know about the other person. So if I get a spread with mostly positive cards and a couple of negatives, I have to take that there's an underlying positive tone, right? For example someone's feelings comes up in a spread as Death, 8 of wands, the sun, the magician and 5 of swords I can see that death and 5 of swords can be negatives. But looking at how they're grouped together their messages don't seem to be on overall negative one. I've got death and 8 of wands together and while death can mean he has no feelings for me, being grouped with the 8 of wands suggests to me that he's actually burying his feelings but actually has strong feelings for me. Both cards are also about change/transformation which could point to growth. The sun and magician together are also really positive and seem to suggest he knows on some level that we would be happy together and the final card on its own points to an inner conflict of some sort or feeling defeated or sad by what happened between us in the past so unsure whether or not to push forward. That last card points to conflict, but we are not really in communication and are on good terms so it can't apply to actual conflict or tension between us. And I know that the death card can't mean he has no feelings for me because 1. He's pretty much admitted he still does and 2. it doesn't fit with the other cards. 

So you see I do try to look at all the meanings and see what fits with the "story" and what I know about the situation. Some cards may indicate cheating and I know that's not an accurate depiction of what happened between us. I try really hard not to just flip everything into what I want it to mean and take it as it fits with the rest of the cards etc. 

the other thing is that you say if it's not in the cards then why try stretch the meanings and as I've explained above I'm not trying to do that. I'm honestly trying to get an accurate picture. Yes I like him and yes I want him back, BUT only if he wants me back and is going to ask for a 2nd chance. If not then I will move on. Right now I am holding on because these cards are telling me he will come around, but he's just not ready. And that makes a lot of sense. He wasn't ready before. But if he's never going to change his mind or act on his feelings or has no feelings then I want to know so I can just let go and move on. But those are the messages I'm seeing in the cards as well as the readings I've had done. And I feel like it is also helping me learn and string together a "story" - whether it's accurate or not, if I can develop a picture out of the cards then I still find that helpful in my learning. 

I get your point about the lovers card, but if it was pulled in relation to a love reading then surely that's pretty straightforward, no? I have looked at other meanings, but in relation to a love reading especially it seems to suggest that you have a great relationship coming your way, but obviously, it's down to the person to decide if it's what they want or not. I pulled it once in response to a question about this guy's feelings for me and it was grouped with the 10 of cups. I'd hope that would be as straightforward as, he sees you as his perfect mate and wants a happily ever after with you (or something to that affect) but from what you're saying it could also mean he needs to make a major choice about our future and whether or not he wants that happily ever after with me....? 

Edited by RosieBlack