Does anyone know what deck this is?

Freakyeyed

Greetings everyone.  I should of posted here first. Here we go, once more:

A wargame company is using a tarot deck within the miniature game rule set, an occult-infused world war I setting.  This is the deck issued with the book. Here is a pic.

Is this the Tarot Vintage?  or something else? 

war transformed tarot.jpg

Edited by Wyrdkiss

I have the Tarot Vintage and compared the color scheme of the leftmost card and the bit of angel wing visible on the Temperance card. Along with all that, the splotched sepia background confirms that the deck is indeed the Tarot Vintage. 

17 minutes ago, Akhilleus said:

I have the Tarot Vintage and compared the color scheme of the leftmost card and the bit of angel wing visible on the Temperance card. Along with all that, the splotched sepia background confirms that the deck is indeed the Tarot Vintage. 

thank you so much! The game company made a fine choice, as they had to buy a lot in bulk from a distributor.  I appreciate your analysis. Cheers.

So, when I got my order from Deckstiny, they included a free extra, which is neat...for a thinly veiled attempt at advertising for their other decks, but still neat, and an extra inclusion I wasn't expecting.

IMG_6399.thumb.jpeg.b84c4d36cbb6db6888896e30a95598f0.jpeg
IMG_6405.thumb.jpeg.f551ca1af87cc7f3583d9866736e770d.jpeg

IMG_6404.thumb.jpeg.42b22dcb0f1e49cfb47900b34e74bb35.jpeg

I suppose it's kind of working though, as I am actually kind of interested in at least identifying some of these.  Unfortunately, even after browsing their catalog on Etsy, I have been unable to identify half of them as their catalog is simply to large to sift through in the hopes of identifying specific decks.  As a purchaser of the Autumn Miss set, I am familiar with all four of their seasonal decks, so I can tell you that the right two cards on the top row are of their winter and spring sets.  The left and middle cards on the same row are of their bear and rabbit themed decks, and I believe the bottom left is their cat themed deck.  The card one card over from the left on the top row has the small inscription of Polaroidy Tarot, but it doesn't come up on Google or Etsy searches.  I have nothing to go off of for the four remaining cards on the bottom either, especially the one with no text whatsoever.  

Well, I think I have some feedback for Deckstiny, as a suggestion for making their advertising work better.  It would really help if they could include the name of the deck in their sample cards.  In any case, how about a fun lightning round?  I would appreciate it if anyone can identify any of the decks featured in the above image.  

Edited by AlbaTross

OK always up for a challenge:

3 Cups - Runaway Tarot

7 Wands - Sakura Spring

King Wands - Porcelain

3 Pents - Golden Journey.

Back later - I have a lawn to mow !

OK: I have all but two, I think: 

Teddy

?

Chubby Bun

Winter Magic

Sakura Spring

Kittycorn

Runaway

Porcelain

?

Golden Journey

6 hours ago, gregory said:

OK: I have all but two, I think: 

Teddy

?

Chubby Bun

Winter Magic

Sakura Spring

Kittycorn

Runaway

Porcelain

?

Golden Journey

Thank you for all your help Gregory, and you are absolutely spot on!  Golden Journey isn't what I was expecting it to be, but it is a really gorgeous deck nonetheless.  I was expecting a neat steampunk type deck, but it's actually an equally neat surreal deck that I really like.  That might be the next Deckstiny deck I check out at some point.  Porcelain Tarot is also really interesting.  Runway Tarot is really nice in its own right, though I'm not much of a fashion type.  Those last two decks must be on the much more difficult side to identify if even you are unsure about them, but it's good to know that the Page of Pentacles isn't Polaroidy Tarot (I'm not sure why the small text says that). 

The card lacking any kind of text likely makes it the most difficult one of all to figure out as it doesn't even have that as a marker, which certainly poses a problem for what is ostensibly an advertisement.  I doubt I would check it out anyways, as although I do like the art piece, it's really hard to pin down what card it's even supposed to be (Three of Wands, maybe?), which would certainly make it difficult to use in any sort of reading.  It's also possible it's an extra card that's exclusive to its respective deck.  Most such cards have some kind of text, but I've come across a deck with an extra art card before that has no text, and is likely made to just be a pretty extra, though I've opted to use it as an extra card in readings that can be approached intuitively.  Perhaps that's what we're looking at, though it's kind of odd that such a card would be used in an advertisement.  These are all supposed to be Tarot cards, so we can probably rule out the possibility of it being an Oracle card of some sort.  

Edit: I just found something new about our supposed Polaroidy Tarot: https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/polaroidy-tarot--569775790362975784/

That Pinterest page for the Queen of Cups, as well as the "More like this" pages for the Hierophant and Six of Cups, with the latter two revealing an option to look at the King of Cups seem to be the only record of this deck that I can find.  They all say "coming soon", so maybe the card I have is for a deck that isn't out yet?  If so, maybe that also says something about the other unidentified card.  

Edited by AlbaTross

3 hours ago, AlbaTross said:

Edit: I just found something new about our supposed Polaroidy Tarot: https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/polaroidy-tarot--569775790362975784/

That Pinterest page for the Queen of Cups, as well as the "More like this" pages for the Hierophant and Six of Cups, with the latter two revealing an option to look at the King of Cups seem to be the only record of this deck that I can find.  They all say "coming soon", so maybe the card I have is for a deck that isn't out yet?  If so, maybe that also says something about the other unidentified card.  

That was the sort of card I found - but - not that one - and it was just - not right !

12 hours ago, gregory said:

That was the sort of card I found - but - not that one - and it was just - not right !

Interesting.  That deck is a mystery I'm unsure can be solved at this point in time.  Well, you win the lightning round regardless.  Of course, you're the only one who played, but I have a feeling you would win even if there were competition, so congrats anyways! :classic_biggrin:  Seriously though, you're definitely the one to talk to about deck-related questions.  If I end up caving in and getting Golden Journey and end up getting another one of these free packs, maybe I'll be back here for a Round 2.  I'm past my budget for the month though, so I'll have to wait and see for now.  

4 hours ago, fire cat pickles said:

What does the writing say in the lower right hand corner of the Page of Pentacles?

Polaroidy Tarot.  I don't think it's legible in the photo, but I have the actual card for reference.  The text on the bottom middle of the card just says Deckstiny.  

Edited by AlbaTross

fire cat pickles
On 10/18/2023 at 7:13 AM, gregory said:

Oh and that's NOT the Polaroidy !

Oh ok, so that explains @gregory's comment.  I wonder why they're claiming it is though???

ACTUALLY gregory didn't see that text. But she found a load of cards that said they WERE the Polaroidy and they were all kind of square with white backgrounds. If it SAYS it;s he Polaroidy, I stand corrected.

19 hours ago, gregory said:

ACTUALLY gregory didn't see that text. But she found a load of cards that said they WERE the Polaroidy and they were all kind of square with white backgrounds. If it SAYS it;s he Polaroidy, I stand corrected.

In your defence, not only is the text really small and likely illegible in the photo, but it seems likely that the deck in question is an upcoming one, and not one that exists currently.  As it stands, it may be an investigative dead end for now.  I have not lost any faith in your impeccable deck expertise.  

Speaking of dead ends, that textless card likely is one as well, as the image and it being part of Deckstiny's diverse lineup are all we have to go on.

14 hours ago, gregory said:

It is SO like that Lucid Minds. I feel that if I could only find the ARTIST on that, there'd be a deck....

You mean this? https://www.etsy.com/listing/1544488828/lucid-minds-desert-themed-interactive

I can see the resemblance, yes.  It's hard to definitively say without seeing that particular card, but it's possible.  Perhaps the white part that identifies each card has simply been omitted in the sample I have.  It's also a deck that isn't out yet.  The deck is desert-themed, but not all images are of sand dunes, so maybe there is one or more with water that's supposed to depict an oasis or something.  Of course, you may be right that the artist may have done other work, and identifying him/her could lead us to the actual deck if it's not this one, especially one that carries the Deckstiny branding, as it doesn't seem that Lucid Minds does.  Maybe Olena of Mindful Ape is our artist?  It's hard to say.  The intrigue continues.

Edited by AlbaTross

On 10/17/2023 at 7:31 PM, AlbaTross said:

So, when I got my order from Deckstiny, they included a free extra, which is neat...for a thinly veiled attempt at advertising for their other decks, but still neat, and an extra inclusion I wasn't expecting.

IMG_6399.thumb.jpeg.b84c4d36cbb6db6888896e30a95598f0.jpeg
IMG_6405.thumb.jpeg.f551ca1af87cc7f3583d9866736e770d.jpeg

IMG_6404.thumb.jpeg.42b22dcb0f1e49cfb47900b34e74bb35.jpeg

I suppose it's kind of working though, as I am actually kind of interested in at least identifying some of these.  Unfortunately, even after browsing their catalog on Etsy, I have been unable to identify half of them as their catalog is simply to large to sift through in the hopes of identifying specific decks.  As a purchaser of the Autumn Miss set, I am familiar with all four of their seasonal decks, so I can tell you that the right two cards on the top row are of their winter and spring sets.  The left and middle cards on the same row are of their bear and rabbit themed decks, and I believe the bottom left is their cat themed deck.  The card one card over from the left on the top row has the small inscription of Polaroidy Tarot, but it doesn't come up on Google or Etsy searches.  I have nothing to go off of for the four remaining cards on the bottom either, especially the one with no text whatsoever.  

Well, I think I have some feedback for Deckstiny, as a suggestion for making their advertising work better.  It would really help if they could include the name of the deck in their sample cards.  In any case, how about a fun lightning round?  I would appreciate it if anyone can identify any of the decks featured in the above image.  

The second to the last deck on the bottom row is the Two of Pentacles from the Location Tarot by Deckstiny.

18 hours ago, starkless said:

The second to the last deck on the bottom row is the Two of Pentacles from the Location Tarot by Deckstiny.

Thanks!  Yeah, that checks out.  I know the actual cards don’t have any markings on them, but maybe adding some to the advertisement copy would have helped for identifying it.  From what I’ve seen that’s far from the best card they could have thrown in too, as that deck has other cards that are much more easily identifiable.  

9 minutes ago, DanielJUK said:

@Eugenie I've moved your deck identification post into the current ongoing deck thread, it will get more insight here 🙂

Thank you very much! 

...Regarding the deck, looks like "unrestored" Conver to me. 

5 minutes ago, gregory said:

It looks to me (and I am pretty bad on Marseille variants) like a Conver.

And it looks a lot like one in the British Museum:

https://www.britishmuseum.org/collection/object/P_1904-0511-47-1-78

conver.thumb.png.e0044abd991d9748ee6aec0043dd016b.png

Ouch, in the meantime Daniel moved my post to the newer thread. @DanielJUK, so sorry to bother you again but could you please also move these when you have time?

@gregory, the picture I brought does look very similar to these! thank you!