Does anyone know what deck this is?

Freakyeyed

2 hours ago, GeoLund said:

OMG Gregory! When can I come visit??? How far are you from Denver, CO?

And how many decks do you have?

I'm up to 50 now and I just started in June. Eek. It's not looking good for my future! I love so many of them!!!

I'd love to have a chat with you sometime!

Geo

4,473 miles. Don't hold your breath. :classic_smile:

2,722 last time I ran a count. A few more now. Must update my profile.

1 hour ago, gregory said:

4,473 miles. Don't hold your breath. :classic_smile:

2,722 last time I ran a count. A few more now. Must update my profile.

I down sized before Covid_19. Worste thing I did, I miss those decks all the time, now I have ca 100 decks left. 

41 minutes ago, TheThumbPuppy said:

I did that with my comic books collection (nerd alert 🤓)

Still, there just so many rooms even in a 4-storey house.

Yeah, I now right.

I'm one of those people guilty of watching general youtube readings.  I saw this one today and can't figure out what deck she's using in the first 13 or 14 minutes of her reading.  Warning:  she's not necessarily reading the cards. 

I can tell it's RWS based or a clone even but I can't tell which.  I like the colors on it.  I thought perhaps it was the Black and Gold Tarot but the backs are wrong.

Anyone?

13 minutes ago, RunningWild said:

I can tell it's RWS based or a clone even but I can't tell which.  I like the colors on it.  I thought perhaps it was the Black and Gold Tarot but the backs are wrong.

Anyone?

Neo Rider, I believe. 🙂

https://www.etsy.com/nz/listing/761801950/the-neo-rider-tarot-collection-the?ref=shop_home_active_7&frs=1&crt=1

Edited by Rose Lalonde
switched link to etsy instead of kickstarter

I purchased this old tarot pack at a little botanica shop in California. Cool backing, isn't it? Fascinating story behind the experience, bit of a lengthy one to type. Let's just say the owner let me discover it was there, to see if it was meant to be. Not in my reading rotation, but I would never sell or trade it. Good acquisition experience.

Regardless, I've forgotten the name of this one and it is not entered on my google doc list. Can anyone ID? Black and white image on the right is the back of every card, and on the plain  white box.

tarot botanica.jpg

Grounding Force Tarot on Facebook bought a battered copy in California (Found using the strapline on Death...): 

https://bs-ba.facebook.com/GroundingForceTarot/

Was that you - from your note about the owner letting you find it... :rofl: Image search ONLY comes up with that page !

But that death is oddly familiar. Not the text though.

Edited by gregory

4 hours ago, gregory said:

Grounding Force Tarot on Facebook bought a battered copy in California (Found using the strapline on Death...): 

https://bs-ba.facebook.com/GroundingForceTarot/

Was that you - from your note about the owner letting you find it... :rofl: Image search ONLY comes up with that page !

But that death is oddly familiar. Not the text though.

Yes good search -- that is me.   I agree, I wonder if the deck is actually common in some areas of the world, and is just an enigma to us...

I've seen those backs on ebay recently, but I just looked using the same search term I used the other day and they appear to be gone. Another might pop up, though.
Since identifying this one seems to be a gregory-defying feat, I'd suggest checking there every now and then. Surely another copy will show up.

MuninnMissinHuginn

Not that this will help much - but the font used for “La Muert” is very similar to a standard font on Abobe that is called Samantha Upright which was made in 2011.  However it sticks in my mind that there is another font, that has been around longer than Samantha Upright but is still from the post Letra-Set rub-down type era. The font seems to be from the desktop publishing era which would be mid/late 80’s on. But this is just a guess. Someone with better knowledge of fonts might recognize that particular one. 

*EDIT*

The font I was thinking of was Apple Chancery, the font found and is a match is OPTIGreig-Swash. Published in 1990.  Most likely for an Apple product. 

DA2BA55B-9112-47BE-B144-424EB6EA77BB.thumb.jpeg.68c2a0c664a169952a01a7c388636c08.jpeg

Edited by MuninnMissinHuginn

That's La Muerte. Just saying. It might help the identification to get the language right... Definitely Spanish rather than Portuguese, for instance. Probably a Mexican example. 

Hey thanks everyone. I'm a bit proud that my Botanica store find has stumped all of us. I will take good care of it, as I do all my packs.

It was so cool, the experience of finding it. Let me share it for you,  a very abbreviated version:

The tiny shop in a very small Central California town had a door that made a terrible screech when opened, revealing a long, narrow room the size of one Isle in a major grocery store.

It was dusty and a bit suffocating with heat as I opened the door. a unique smell greeted me, like an old library and aromatic food, and it was packed with various random wares.

An old woman stood behind the counter, balanced on a stool.  she was wearing a yellow flowery dress. A younger man, stern looking, sat in a green lawn chair towards the back of the shop, centered in the only walkway.

Much of it looked second-hand: old oddities sprinkled among children's candies, candles, romance books and Mexican spices. I said hello, looked around once to take it all in, and then cut to the chase.

I asked her if she had any Tarot cards, as that is what I am always after in these small metaphysical shops that frequent California.

"eh....no" she said, obviously unable to speak English.   I asked again, putting a bit of accent into the word.

"ah." She reached behind the counter and slide a pack of playing cards in my direction across the glass.

"no" i said, "tarot.." and I pretended to lay out a spread on the table. The old woman just blinked at me.

without translating on my phone I resigned myself to looking around the store myself before leaving.

After about 5 minutes, I was tired of browsing . My eyes skimmed the last shelf;  there were dusty shot glasses, old picture frames, mostly disinteresting.  Suddenly I noticed, however, a white tuck box behind some salt and pepper shakers.  I grabbed it, and saw the image on the back of the Wheel of Fortune.

I turned, to find both the old woman and the quiet man staring at me.

"What's this" I said lamely, Taken quite aback.

"That....is your tarot" the woman said, in perfectly clear English. She was smiling a bit, and the stern man nodded at me.

I was loving the moment, pleasantly surprised. I asked no more questions except one.

"Cuanto?"

Twelve dollars" she smoothly stated.

I paid cash and left, thanking them.  It is to this day one of my favorite store experiences.

That is the unidentified tarot's history.

1 minute ago, Aeona said:

I got goosebumps, that's a great story @Wyrdkiss 

Thank you, I appreciate you reading my memory. It differs a bit from my facebook post, but that is ok. Writing it out today I actually recall it a bit more keenly I feel. 

On 12/28/2021 at 8:46 AM, gregory said:

That's La Muerte. Just saying. It might help the identification to get the language right... Definitely Spanish rather than Portuguese, for instance. Probably a Mexican example. 

I also think it's a mexican deck, not sure what I think of the sentence at the top though, "Exit door for souls" ,but knowing what it says might help your search. 

44 minutes ago, Paper said:

I also think it's a mexican deck, not sure what I think of the sentence at the top though, "Exit door for souls" ,but knowing what it says might help your search. 

Perfect thanks so much

4 hours ago, gregory said:

The shipping isn't bad actually. But this is the killer:

image.png.c88d7b75b30662195e2f5ecfbe4cf3f3.png

Alas. Though Now In Seoul does have it, and their shipping isn't *completely* absurd...

Well, I can keep thinking about it, at any rate.