10 hours ago, DanielJUK said:

I like to compare the cost of subscription to the cost of a tarot deck that is massmarket. On Amazon.com a RWS deck is $22, some a little cheaper. Wild Unknown Tarot is $30, Fountain Tarot RRP is $40 (but mostly sells for around $30). So it's the cost of a deck or two per year.

I honestly think this is a great argument!  For $35 you get a year of access to many incentives you don't get without a subscription.  Even the 6 months for $25 IS like buying a tarot deck! It would be a real shame to have to lose this new software because we can't get the subscriptions to keep it going.  That or like LF said, we will have to add more ads.  Think about it!  No one is asking for instant subscriptions now but if you find you have an extra $25, please consider the 6 months sub.  You'll be happy you did! :thumbsup:

Posted (edited)

I wasn't actually complaining about the price. When I use a forum I always subscribe as a way of supporting the effort, a lot of the extras I don't even use. 

I've also gifted memberships to people who I like to read, and have recently donated books to a member in return for a donation to the forum and am thinking of ways to do that again. Maybe next years deck clear out. 

but wasn't much of a fan of the I Need a Subscription thread at AT. Most asked because they were broke, no problem, but few if any said this is what I do and can give back. Lurkers aren't worth their weight in air. There are so many ways to support a forum by posting or hosting or donating. 

I'm here about an hour a day. Divided by $35.00 a year? Math challenged, is that .35 cents-ish a day? 

And I appreciate the transparency. 

Edited by AJ-ish/Sharyn

Oh I didn't think you were complaining. But I thought it was worth spelling out sort of what you get for the price of a coffee, in case people who WERE thinking it was a lot came to the thread. It's less than 10 cents a day, I THINK.... !

But I DO agree about that please gift me thread. It made me uncomfortable. Not because I was able to buy one and they apparently weren't, but - well, there were always some people who felt - scammy.... and that always kind of made me doubt the genuine ones. I'd rather gift anonymously and let Little Fang and her gang make sure it goes to someone who really needs it.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Thoughtful said:

l can't find the subscriptions prices, also are we notified when existing sub runs out from other forum ?

You should be able to click on the inverted triangle next to your name on the bar at the top of the page) and go to "Manage Subscriptions". It takes you to the Subscriber Page.

If I'm not mistaken, our subscriptions run out at the end of the year and we all will resubscribe at the new price. I could be wrong...

Edited by fire cat pickles

10 hours ago, fire cat pickles said:

You should be able to click on the inverted triangle next to your name on the bar at the top of the page) and go to "Manage Subscriptions". It takes you to the Subscriber Page.

The bar at the top of the page is not as it was, it is showing a completely new banner.  Had lots of trouble with this, my avatar and name do not show.  So cannot find subscription page.

10 hours ago, Little Fang said:

Gift cards are now an option under Store 🙂

Thank you Little Fang l think l have the store option.  Will check.  Its such a bind not being able to keep the banner going at the top of page.  l have tried using different browser but nothing works.  l know Saturn has reset a few times for me, but it keeps disappearing.

Here is my 2P: Personally I'm absolutely ok with $35 a year, you are doing a great job and I'm more than happy to support the time and effort in order to keep this site going. I can afford it, luckily and I'm happy to do so. But I'm aware that for some this might be a big lump, many people live on a tight budget these days. I would personally prefer the option to pay monthly to be honest, but your monthly subscription is $10. And whereas I understand that this should encourage people to commit to an annual subscription, I think that for some people it might be easier to commit to a smaller amount and in shorter intervals, and $10 a month is too much.

I'm a bit confused as previous subscriber: you said that previous subscribers are ok until the end of the year and asked for a donation instead. But I see that the new subscription system is up. So my previous subscription runs out in June - can I join with the new subscription now or do you still want me to hold off until the end of the year? Alternatively, I'd happy to donate half a year and then in the new year start a new subscription. I just don't understand the reasoning behind this - sorry if I missed anything here 🙂 

The donations tab is a supper hidden btw, I could not find it on the phone or the tablet at all, and I was trying really hard to find it. I had to use the computer to find it tucked away. Is it available at all on tabs and mobiles? If it is there somewhere bright and open and I'm just blind - forgive me, I might just have a moment 🤪

Last thing: maybe it would help to promote the subscriptions a bit more? The deck trading part and the monthly deck raffle as main features (and very attractive ones too) could maybe be more advertised. Are there any other perks that could be added to make a subscription more attractive? 

This is not criticism in any way, as I said, I do appreciate the work put into this forum and I think it definitely deserves support.

And my 2P as well: 😉

Just to put prices into perspective, $35:
I don't smoke, but if I had smoked 20 cigarettes a day, $35 would have lasted 4(four !!!) days. Instead, $35 will get me 3-4 pints of beer at a pub one day. Or eighteen liters of fuel for a car. ...You get the picture, and I'm not even exaggerating, this is actually the price level where I live 😤

So, perhaps the subscription prices should have been differentiated on where you live, with different zones. The forum already picks up our IP address so it can certainly be solved. But this may not be desirable, and some will probably experience this as unfair.

I agree with Rupicapra, $10 for one month is probably too much. Too many people, who later could become annual subscribers, will likely refrain from trying. I think it would be better to have low prices to embrace most people. Those who are fond of the forum and can afford it will probably donate some extra dollars from time to time, although it is, of course, difficult for the administrators if a large proportion of the income is variable income.

But reduce costs: Eight forum themes to choose from are way too many and too expensive. Remove the 2-3 fewest themes in use the next time the license expires.

The themes were kickstarter perks for those who donated $50+ and I would hate to remove their rewards without their permission to. The themes are the cheaper end of the spectrum, the real costs is in the software. 🙂

There is currently no way to work around subs per ip address on this software. However I can work with a case by case basis if I'm messaged. 

I am rethinking the monthly costs. 

I may be misunderstanding, but does the annual sub only last till the end of Dec? If someone subs in Sept, for ex, do they have to renew again in Dec?

Posted (edited)

They are much better packages @Little Fang with the cheapest option at $5, great idea! :heart:

@Starlight with the move over, it was extremely complicated I think with the different subscription lengths, so LF just gave everyone who subscribed the same time left and subscriber status. Most people got more time added on! When this subscription period ends, you just buy what you want to keep going, so this is only for the transferring to the forum. Now you just buy the packages and months you want to continue from end of Dec 🙂

Edited by DanielJUK

Will we get a reminder.... I am very bad at this stuff, but had it set up to remind me in my email calendar. Do those who backed on KS get to December 2020 then ? In which case I will go sort out my calendar.

25 minutes ago, AfternoonTarot said:

Can we use a credit or debit card?  I don’t use PayPal. 😞

I pay with my credit card via paypal. That’s really easy. Not sure if you can pay directly without PayPal. Let’s ask @Little Fang !

As far as I know an account is not needed to pay through PayPal with card, but may be required for recurring subscriptions. 🙂

I cannot see anywhere what the status of my subscription actually is - it should have an extra year on from the KS thing - but I have no idea when it expires... If I go for manage subscriptions it just offers me the chance to buy one.

Posted (edited)

OK; thanks - but can it not say this in our profiles ? (No big thing - but how does that fit with the subs we already had ? I had a fair bit to run still. Not that I mind leaving it in the kitty for your benefit, but it makes things hard work !)

Edited by gregory

On 7/12/2019 at 7:40 AM, Raggydoll said:

I pay with my credit card via paypal. That’s really easy. Not sure if you can pay directly without PayPal. Let’s ask @Little Fang !

23 hours ago, Little Fang said:

As far as I know an account is not needed to pay through PayPal with card, but may be required for recurring subscriptions. 🙂

Thank you both for your replies!  I will check it out.  🙂