When someone enters your home, do they know?

It would be hard for someone to tell, they would have to go upstairs to the bookshelf near my bed. I don't hide my tarot books and decks there, it's just the only space I have where they're both all together and safe from my youngest.

It's not a problem around here if anybody sees them. When I talk to people about it, their reaction is generally one of interest.

They would know if they came into my kitchen/office room, I have all my decks, crystals, candles, and herbs in there 🥰

Ealasaid Enfys

A question I'm currently struggling with. I recently purchased a house - no partner, just me - and I haven't quite figured out yet where I want to 'install' my esoteric tarot corner. I'm not ashamed, but I do want to find a quiet, peaceful place to set up an altar without having to explain myself all of the time. For now I'm thinking about the study, a very sunny room. Maybe I'll change my mind once I'm settled in and the living room seems more appealing.

Saturn Celeste
On 7/30/2019 at 2:33 PM, Ealasaid Enfys said:

and I haven't quite figured out yet where I want to 'install' my esoteric tarot corner.

That is a great place to be in!  Starting out all new AND having choices!  I can't wait to find out what you choose!  We have a thread where you can share your space.

@queenofwans your corner is amazing!  You can repost pictures in the link above also!

So, these days when someone enters my home,  more than likely they will know. My front door enters into the living room of our 1950's brick home.  Ironically I am told this is the room they used to keep clean and tidy for when the preacher comes to visit.  It's really the only room you can see once you enter. I have several decks lying out on the end table because their boxes are so nice (Victorian Romantic, Bohemian Gothic, and now The Dark Mansion).  If they snoop around in the living room I have two containers (for lack of a better word) which I call my "Tarot Chests"  that contain multiple decks and reading cloths.  If they were so inclined to lift the lids, they would surely see the decks.  Misc. books and magazines are lying around in there depending on what I'm studying at the moment, they could be tarot related, or something else metaphysical. In the dining room there are also decks there for easy access for kitchen table readings(The Housewives Tarot, a mini Victorian Romantic) 

My daughter's bedroom has been converted into my Reiki Room so every Metaphysical thing is in there and it's on the main floor.  Our house is quite small. so anyone staying for any length of time will run across a variety of things. 

In the basement room is where I keep my main altar and other witchy type things.  I write fiction, so I have tons of books on lots of different topics including things like Deadly Doses, A writer's Guide to poisons and other misc death inducing topics that I have used for reference so I can often just say the books are reference materials if something seems too scary.  That room has a spare bed in it, so only very close friends and family have been in it to sleep.  So far, no inquiries. 

When my daughter was little and we often had her friends and their parents over I kept everything out of site because I didn't want the parents to let my interests be an excuse to not let their kids come around.   Now that's she's grown and moved out I don't hide anything, ever.  Luckily her fiance is cool with it all. 

3 hours ago, Ienne said:

I live in a very conservative area now

Totally feelin your pain. I'm a fish out of water in the area I live in too. It sucks. I certainly don't feel like I can come out to my friends about tarot for fear of being completely alienated. Christian indoctrination is so deeply embedded here, it would be like bashing your head against a concrete wall to introduce anything new. Sad but true. So what's the use?  Of my two besties one might be receptive but that's not likely... the other, well, she would be totally appalled and would possibly make an extra effort to pray for my sorry totally lost soul for the hedonistic path I have diverted to. :classic_rolleyes: I still love them both though for all of their shortcomings, they are still well meaning, good folks and good friends.

As far as my collection, it's growing rapidly. Thank God we don't have lots of company! I have my separate studio where I get to keep all my crap aside and my tarot stuff lives there. So far it's relegated to the Ikea cart next to my day bed. It's perfect there because after I meditate in the morning, I do my daily draw and oracle pick and whatever else strikes my fancy for that morning. I have been thinking about what I'd do with the cards if I have overnight company though. And I've been thinking about clearing out a drawer where some sewing stuff is to make way for it. I dunno. We'll see how things play out. There's no hurry here. An I figure if there was an emergency overnight stay, I'll just shift everything to hubbys server room 'cos who the hell would want to venture into that vortex of technical crapola!!! :classic_laugh:

On 8/10/2019 at 5:45 PM, Ienne said:

I'm struggling with this as well having just moved.  I found a perfect spot for my reading table, dedicated bookcase, etc, but I live in a very conservative area now and wind up throwing a sheet over everything when workmen need to come and go.  Sigh.

Oh, yeah.  Workmen going through my sacred spaces really makes me uncomfortable. 

20 hours ago, JustPeachy said:

Of my two besties one might be receptive but that's not likely... the other, well, she would be totally appalled and would possibly make an extra effort to pray for my sorry totally lost soul for the hedonistic path I have diverted to.

Oh, I get that!  I almost lost a friend I've known for 10 years after talking about a tarot conference.  I love her to death but the whole thing was a real eyeopener. 

@Disa The workmen coming next week will probably be choking on all the palo santo I plan on burning 🤣 

How do you guys like to cleanse once the space invaders have left?

1 hour ago, Ienne said:

Oh, I get that!  I almost lost a friend I've known for 10 years after talking about a tarot conference.  I love her to death but the whole thing was a real eyeopener. 

@Disa The workmen coming next week will probably be choking on all the palo santo I plan on burning 🤣 

Oh! I DID lose a friend I had known since highschool.  When I was atheist and she was trying to save my soul she never passed judgement (she had her own issues that I never judged), but when she found out I was finally getting a short story published for the first time ever after years and years of trying, she flipped out on me because it was a story about a Tarot reader.  ugh

When the space invaders leave, depending on how icky I feel after I may have to cleanse the entire house with sage and sweetgrass, then  Reiki the whole place, too.  Some people are ok, some yikes!!!

1 hour ago, Ienne said:

Nothing special here. I change the sheets on the bed, dust and get hubby to vacuum the room. I figure once the offending person has left they take all of their garbage in tow so there isn't much needed on my end aside from washing the sheets. Just check the air freshener isn't in need of a refill and good riddance to bad rubbish!

I don't have any tarot decks or paraphernalia out in the open.  You'd have to go into the spare room, and look through a bookcase to see my decks and books.  But now you have me thinking that perhaps I should do a discrete display of tarot decks or books.

AquaUniversalis

I don't think so. I have all my decks in a drawer and that's it. I don't have tarot books as I usually read online (I mean read as in articles, tarot books and such). And my tarot collection is of the size that can be fitted into one drawer in my desk. I will be moving to live with my partner pretty soon so I guess I will have to sell or give away my cards keeping just one deck. Ahh I have some beautiful beautiful decks, but I think I will stick to my worn out Thoth, haha.