ilweran

When You Know a Card Is Going To Show Up

Would you change how you read it if it did?

I'm asking because I did a reading a couple of days ago and the three of arrows (Greenwood) came up, so I did another reading on the choice I have to make and I knew the three would show up again, and it did.

My preferred option doesn't look like it has a great outcome so I did a reading today to get some advice on that. Decided I needed to change decks for this, so got out The Hidden Realm. And I knew before I started that The Moon would show up, and I flipped over the cards and there it was.

It's happened occasionally before,  but that's twice in a few days I've known that a certain card would show up, and I'm curious if others have that happen and if you'd give that card greater weight in the reading, or change how you interpret it in any way?

7 minutes ago, ilweran said:

Would you change how you read it if it did?

I'm asking because I did a reading a couple of days ago and the three of arrows (Greenwood) came up, so I did another reading on the choice I have to make and I knew the three would show up again, and it did.

My preferred option doesn't look like it has a great outcome so I did a reading today to get some advice on that. Decided I needed to change decks for this, so got out The Hidden Realm. And I knew before I started that The Moon would show up, and I flipped over the cards and there it was.

It's happened occasionally before,  but that's twice in a few days I've known that a certain card would show up, and I'm curious if others have that happen and if you'd give that card greater weight in the reading, or change how you interpret it in any way?

I think it just means you have a really good rapport with your decks. I see these instances as a corroboration of that, not as a self-fulfilling prophecy or any kind of subconscious manipulation. At least I treat it as a validation of the testimony when it happens to me.

I’d take it to mean that you are really in tune with your intuition right now and that there is something you are processing and soon will be ready to confront or manifest 🙂

@Barleywine Well a good rapport with my decks is a good thing, I like that 😄 I think it was a self-fulfilling prophecy or subconscious manipulation thing that I was concerned about. Or confirmation bias - how often do I have a feeling a card will show up and then it doesn't?

@Raggydoll It was basically telling me what I already knew really. Sometimes you need to hear (see?) it though! 😅

13 minutes ago, ilweran said:

@Barleywine Well a good rapport with my decks is a good thing, I like that 😄 I think it was a self-fulfilling prophecy or subconscious manipulation thing that I was concerned about. Or confirmation bias - how often do I have a feeling a card will show up and then it doesn't?

@Raggydoll It was basically telling me what I already knew really. Sometimes you need to hear (see?) it though! 😅

Cards that don't show up when we think they should is an interesting thought. I've found that, if the particular message needs to get through, it will be delivered by other cards that say much the same thing from a different perspective. It's all part of the "layers of meaning" that exist within each card.

Well, I'm drawing the Empress a LOT right now. And what's cool is I think I know why.

On 7/19/2019 at 4:27 PM, ilweran said:

This happens to me sometimes as well. The most recent being, I was using the Simple Seven Deadly Sins spread and asked "how do each of the seven deadly sins affect my success in romantic relationships" (for background, my success is very very limited haha). Before I started, I laughed to myself because I thought "as of late, I wouldn't be surprised if Lust showed up as the Devil", and of course, in the Lust placement of the spread, there was the Devil, upright and obvious! Whenever this has happened I've felt like I was experiencing a good old joke with a friend. I think it really does come from a place of the cards knowing you already know this one quite badly, and them confirming quite blatantly that, "yes, you're right! You wanna accept it now?" Sometimes I feel like our higher selves are standing beside us like an older sibling holding a rolled up newspaper and just waiting to whap us over the head for being so stubborn in our defiance of our own intuition.

So yes, I take this as a sign of 100% Ding Ding Ding! Spot on! message sending when it happens.

I have no idea why it happens.  It's like when out of nowhere an old friend you haven't seen or even thought of in ten years pops into your head, and the next day you run into that person when you're buying your coffee on the way to work. 

But @ilweran started out with a different question - would you read the card differently if you knew before you drew it that it was going to show up?  My answer is no.  The cards are there because that is where they need to be and we need to respect them and read them as they show themselves to us.  The rest is interesting and important, but this is my answer to other original question. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.