katrinka

Getting mobile view despite being on PC

katrinka

I don't know if it's something I did or not, but I'm on the laptop and everything looks the way it does on the phone.
That's fine for the phone, but here it's HUGE and the left hand buttons are missing, I have to use the dropdowns on the right.
Is there a way to get it back to a desktop view?
Thanks in advance.

gregory

What browser are you using ? I use Opera and you can change settings like that in the dropdown sidebar on the right.

If Chrome, reverse this (which is how to get to see it the way you don't want !) I think you have set "device mode".

1. Open Chrome's developer tools with F12 .
  2. Click the 'Toggle device toolbar' button to turn Device Mode on or off. ...
  3. (Optional) Select which mobile device you want to simulate with the 'Viewport controls'.
  4. Refresh the webpage with device mode enabled to allow the mobile version to load.

katrinka

I'm using Palemoon.
Tools>Web Developer>(then what?)

And yes...mobile is what I DON'T want...

katrinka

It's odd. Fartbook is fine, it's showing the desktop version. Same with another forum (it's on Simple Machines, but to be fair, I'm not sure a mobile version of that one exists.)

Apparently the TTM software thinks I'm on a mobile. https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?t=12127

If you guys can't figure out how to fix it from your end, apparently there's overrides I can do. I'm a little nervous about doing that, though, since I know squat about coding and the string I'd be copying is from 2016. https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?p=76225#p76225

katrinka
2 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

I think we might as well ask @Little Fang I’m not familiar with your browser.

Thanks, Raggy, that'd be a big help.
Palemoon is basically like Firefox used to be, before they wrecked it. More info here: https://whatsmybrowser.org/b/KQW5ZZ6
And this is what I'm seeing:
Capture.thumb.PNG.f87bc843ccfd9a088bb2a8ea1229f53a.PNG

What's really weird is that on my phone, that dropdown menu in the upper right gives me an option to switch to desktop, and it works. But I don't get that option on the dropdown menu here.

katrinka

PS It works fine in Chrome, everything is there.
Chrome is best avoided, though, IMHOCapture.thumb.PNG.7d9ca9b78761e58f0c26b206f47c8d6b.PNG.

Raggydoll
1 hour ago, katrinka said:

Thanks, Raggy, that'd be a big help.
Palemoon is basically like Firefox used to be, before they wrecked it. More info here: https://whatsmybrowser.org/b/KQW5ZZ6
And this is what I'm seeing:
Capture.thumb.PNG.f87bc843ccfd9a088bb2a8ea1229f53a.PNG

What's really weird is that on my phone, that dropdown menu in the upper right gives me an option to switch to desktop, and it works. But I don't get that option on the dropdown menu here.

That IS weird! Ha! If I understood things correctly then this is a new error? So its not that our platform always recognize your browser as a mobile browser? @Little Fang

I found this thread too, I don't think its the same one as you linked and it has some information that may be relevant:

https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?t=19470

katrinka

Yes, it's a new error. Everything was fine yesterday. 
But I'm out of my depth in that thread. Humblebundle?

Raggydoll
2 minutes ago, katrinka said:

But I'm out of my depth in that thread. Humblebundle?

You and me both, sister! 🤣

Raggydoll

(I moved this topic to the main tech support area, since the other thread was more meant for tech issues in regards to the We Are One Project)

katrinka

Thanks. My bad!

@gregory said ~

I TOTALLY agree about Chrome....

But I have Pale Moon as well, and it's fine with mine (try a repair or an update ?)

Opera is very nice; so is Vivaldi....

I just updated and restarted, no changes.
How would I repair it? Uninstall and install it again?

I might have to go to Opera or Vivaldi. And that's kind of a shame, because I really like Palemoon and I have some nice add-ons...

katrinka
6 minutes ago, Little Fang said:

Also try changing themes at the bottom of the page 

Yes, thanks - I tried all of those.
Different themes give me more or fewer icons on the upper right, but none of them are giving me an option to switch to desktop.
I'm running out of things to try. :(

gregory
26 minutes ago, katrinka said:

Thanks. My bad!

@gregory said ~

I just updated and restarted, no changes.
How would I repair it? Uninstall and install it again?

I might have to go to Opera or Vivaldi. And that's kind of a shame, because I really like Palemoon and I have some nice add-ons...

I thought it had a repair option....

How is it in safe mode ? Try adding your addons one at a time in case it is actually one of them....

katrinka
16 minutes ago, gregory said:

I thought it had a repair option....

It probably does someplace...looking...
Nothing needs defragged or any of that, BTW. Just checked.

16 minutes ago, gregory said:

How is it in safe mode ? Try adding your addons one at a time in case it is actually one of them....

It's the same in safe mode. So I take it that the addons aren't the problem...

DanielJUK

Have you tried clearing the cache @katrinka? Back on AT this affected people a lot, pictures and the viewing layout of the forum would mess up and they would post for help, it was always something corrupted randomly in the browser whilst loading a page and would fix by clearing and reloading.

on palemoon....

go to the menu / history / clear recent history. Tick the items you want, I would recommend not cookies but make sure history and cache are ticked. close the browser, reopen and load this forum again, see if it fixes it.

gregory

Actually - if it's the forum, why doesn’t my pale moon do it ? 

What av do you use - I have issues with a site I use all the time, and it seems that's what's doing it to me....

Edited by gregory

katrinka
18 minutes ago, gregory said:

Bummer. Maybe try one of the work arounds ?

Like Vivaldi? It's looking like a pretty viable option at this point.

16 minutes ago, DanielJUK said:

Have you tried clearing the cache @katrinka? Back on AT this affected people a lot, pictures and the viewing layout of the forum would mess up and they would post for help, it was always something corrupted randomly in the browser whilst loading a page and would fix by clearing and reloading.

Cleared the cache, dumped the cookies, the works. No dice.
But thanks.

14 minutes ago, gregory said:

Actually - if it's the forum, why doesn’t my pale moon do it ? 

Good point.

14 minutes ago, gregory said:

What av do you use - I have issues with a site I use all the time, and it seems that's what's doing it to me....

Currently nothing but Windows Defender.
It's pretty basic, you don't think that would cause problems?

gregory

WELL - I DON'T run defender. I use avira and scan regularly with malwarebytes.

But here's a thought that only just came to me - if something has actually attacked -= or just got in to - your pale moon - this may find and kill it: 

https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

It usually finds SOMETHING anyway !!! It's free and quite exciting !

katrinka

Ah, the free malwarebytes! I was meaning to get that link from you again, but kept forgetting. Thanks!

At work now, but I'll run it when I get home and see what happens.

gregory

It is a part of (owned by) malwarebytes, but a standalone that looks specifically for stuff like browser hijacks.

AeonHorus

Try this site for all your PC problems there will be a solution!

AeonHorus

It will also keep you up to date on new threats, plus there is a forum on there with a whole host of peeps on there only too willing to help 🙂 

katrinka

It caught 19 PUPs. 
But TT&M is still borked on Palemoon. I'll be posting from Vivaldi until this resolves itself.
It's not a bad idea using two browsers, anyway. A friend of mine used to facebook from a separate browser, so his other activity (hopefully) wouldn't be easily tracked.
Not that he was doing anything bad. It's just that it's none of Zuck's business.