Techniques for Reading Playing Cards

Norik

What technique do you use for reading playing cards? What do you like/dislike about it? Any limitations? Types of questions it’s particularly good for?

Feel free to provide a link or a short description of the style for those who may be unfamiliar with it

~~~

I use my own system that’s a combination of definition based and intuitive reading. Each suit and each number corresponds to a word that represents an overarching concept, roughly based on the RWS meanings for the minor arcana. One the spread is laid out, the two words that apply to each card are used as the foundation for the reading. Figuring out how the words apply to the questions asked is intuition based.

Example: Three of Spades = Connection (Three) + Action (Spades). If the question was something like “What do I need to focus on in my relationship?”, I would read it as a need to do more things together, and delve into an in-depth interpretation from there.

Likes: The thing I like most about this system is that the reading always starts from a neutral place. None of the words are inherently good or bad, positive or negative. They just are. It lets me deal with the negatives (and positives) in a more constructive and critical manner.
It’s also very easy to learn because it’s only 18 words instead of 52 meanings. I have a new tarot deck with five extra suits, and it was super easy to apply it to them.
The other thing I really like about it is that you can go as in-depth or as surface level as you’d like. If I’m rushed for my morning reading, it’s very easy to reflect on the cards later when I have more time but aren’t near my reference material (aka, my lunch break). I can remember Connect + Action (I’m the kind of person forgets their own name) but still know right away that my actions are something I need to pay more attention that day.

Dislikes: While not as bad with actual tarot cards because they have pictures to draw from, with the more minimal playing card designs there is not a lot to go on with just two words. It makes for a very mentally taxing reading while sussing out the details.

Limitations: I’ve not tried it, but I can see it being difficult to use for very specific question readings. I think the starting point is too broad to narrow down an exact answer. A question like “Is this job right for me?” would be very hard to interpret.
I also think like there is much more room for bias since it’s so open. It's definitely a thing I have to be mindful of in my readings.

fire cat pickles

I'm running out to dinner, so this will be brief, but I wanted to poke my head in and say "hi"! Also that this is a very interesting conversation!

I'm getting back into the Hedgewytchery technique. Yours sounds very similar. The example you gave (3 of spades = connection + action) would be on par with the 8 of clubs in HW (thoughts/group of people/connection + "the doing suit"). It is a similar result with a different approach. Both very effective. My belief is that as long as one's system is consistent then we will get effective readings.

More later...

Adding to this, my definitions for the cards for any more compare and contrast between systems

Spoiler

Clubs: Self

Hearts: Emotions/relationships

Spades: Actions

Diamonds: Things/Surroundings

One: Beginnings

Two: Balance

Three: Connection

Four: Stability

Five: Disturbance

Six: Harmony

Seven: Mystery

Eight: Movement

Nine: Growth

Ten: Contemplation

Jack Youth

Queen: Maturity

King: Wisdom

Joker: The unknown

I use the meanings given here:

https://artofcartomancy.blogspot.com/p/cartomancy-card-meanings.html?m=1

The Three of Spades is a card of loss, deception, third party interference. 

What I like about the system is that it is very comprehensive and quite logical. It looks at the way different suits interact with each other and this helps to hone in on the meaning.

However, because it is so comprehensive, I do sometimes struggle to pick out which meaning is most likely. It’s an interesting learning curve though. 

I use Russian methods with playing cards.

Actually the meanings are concise and not comprehensive, so I haven't problem "to pick out which meaning is most likely" but it's the reversed, I can struggle at times to understand what this or that card means depending on the context.

Otherwise they use large spreads or multi-spreads , so patience is needed.

@Flaxen Do you find it's easier or harder to pick with larger spreads?

@Decan Out of curiosity, how would you read the Three of Spades?

Both the PC decks I have aren't pip decks, which means I can include reversals. I think that not being able to include them would be a big limitation to my system. Any 'negative' message would rely entirely on intuition.

But on the plus side, I find reversals are a great way to narrow down a meaning. The Five of Hearts (disturbance + emotion) and the Six of Hearts reversed (harmony + emotion reversed) have a very similar meanings on the surface, but drawing one over the other would impact the reading greatly.

3 hours ago, Norik said:

@Decan Out of curiosity, how would you read the Three of Spades?

It is a good question! Actually I use only 36 cards (the 4 Aces, and from the 6’s to the Kings) so I don’t use the 3’s, no meaning for me 🙂

I consider the suit of Spades as the « bad » suit (illness, sorrow, problems and more). It’s the case in most systems (apart the German system I think).

Edited by Decan

7 hours ago, Norik said:

@Flaxen Do you find it's easier or harder to pick with larger spreads?

I don’t tend to use larger spreads. My go-to is a Line of Five. I should experiment a bit more and maybe try one of the very large Russian spreads - that would definitely give my brain a work out!

3 minutes ago, Flaxen said:

I don’t tend to use larger spreads. My go-to is a Line of Five. I should experiment a bit more and maybe try one of the very large Russian spreads - that would definitely give my brain a work out!

Why not? 🙂 I read your posts and noticed that we are doing exactly the opposite with the playing cards, it's funny.

Actually I considered myself the online resources Kapherus gave (he is an expert here), but I can't really deal with 2 systems, this could become quickly confusing probably. And I don't use regularly the playing cards too.

Do you have a good link to one of the Russian spreads @Decan? I’ll set myself a challenge to give it a go. Do they only need 36 cards though? 

I think you do just have to pick a system with playing cards - I looked into the Hedgewytch as my other alternative. 

2 hours ago, Flaxen said:

Do you have a good link to one of the Russian spreads @Decan? I’ll set myself a challenge to give it a go. Do they only need 36 cards though? 

I think you do just have to pick a system with playing cards - I looked into the Hedgewytch as my other alternative. 

Yes, for the meanings there are a few videos, here the link toward the first one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aISz-sXbvlA

Their Large Russian (multi-step) Spread is explained here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5brgvVELI2s

I don't think there are other online resources in English for the Russian methods with playing cards.

Actually you have to deal with 36 cards and the Russian meanings for these cards, I don't think you can use a traditional Russian spread otherwise.

Edited by Decan

37 minutes ago, Flaxen said:

I looked into the Hedgewytch as my other alternative. 

I don't know this method, do you have a link that presents it @Flaxen

Edited by Decan