TheFeeLion

Decks with a sense of humour

TheFeeLion

I'm on the hunt for decks with a sense of humour, be it in the guidebook or in the cards themselves. 

Are there any decks that you thought would be serious but surprised you? 

Any that straight out the gate made you giggle? 

Czenzi

I know there are a lot of animal-themed tarots, and not everyone is into them, but the Cat Tarot by Megan Lynn Kott get's cat behavior dead on and is really funny, imo. I think this is especially true in the majors. Case in point for me are her Death, Tower and Devil cards.

I also like the Medieval Cat Tarot. Very traditional, but with cats and lots of hidden cat-related symbolism.

I find both the Vivid Journey Tarot and Halloween Tarot to be charming and light if not "ha ha" funny.

I treat these more as "obviously funny" decks but, I think the Housewives Tarot, Zombie Tarot and Food Fortunes (which is not exactly tarot but does have 78 cards) are all in this category. Though I don't own any of them, I've seen the cards and have gotten a kick out of them. Not sure how they read though. 

katrinka

The Heron is a straight-up TdM, but the LWB includes such gems as "You will die of excesses incurred at an orgy."
https://tarot-heritage.com/2014/03/12/the-wacky-world-of-the-heron-lwb/

As for a sense of humor in the deck itself, you can't go wrong with the Fantastic Menagerie. These images of the first edition are low res (to discourage pirating), but it's enough to see the wicked satire at play. http://fantasticmenagerie.com/Majors1.htm

TheFeeLion

@Czenzi thanks for the suggestions! 🙂 I love animals but generally prefer decks that include more than one type. I'll check them out though to see if they appeal. Definitely interested in Food Fortunes although I'm not sure if I'd be able to use is as a deck for standard readings and not just "what's for dinner" ones. I've got the Housewives app which I have a love hate relationship with, I'm not sure if I love or hate the images XD As for the Zombies... I'll have to have a proper look, not sure if I could make it a regular use deck though. The other two might be a bit light for my tastes I think. 

@katrinka ha! I like the sound of the Heron booklet, that sounds pretty interesting! I've never used purely TdM decks before so I'm not sure if there's enough on the pips for me to go off. And the Fantastic Menagerie has some gorgeous images, I might have to look deeper into that one.

katrinka
9 minutes ago, TheFeeLion said:

I've never used purely TdM decks before so I'm not sure if there's enough on the pips for me to go off.

I'd suggest learning from something other than that LWB, anyway. 😆

9 minutes ago, TheFeeLion said:

And the Fantastic Menagerie has some gorgeous images, I might have to look deeper into that one.

Preorders are open for the second edition.
https://baba-store.com/collections/fmtarot3

Merrick

The Jean Noblet TdM has made me laugh out loud on multiple occasions, it’s a hilariously rude deck. 

TheFeeLion
38 minutes ago, katrinka said:

Preorders are open for the second edition.
https://baba-store.com/collections/fmtarot3

Just my luck it's way out of my budget! 😞

1 hour ago, Merrick said:

The Jean Noblet TdM has made me laugh out loud on multiple occasions, it’s a hilariously rude deck. 

Thanks I'll check that out

katrinka
5 minutes ago, TheFeeLion said:

Just my luck it's way out of my budget! 😞

Yeah, a lot of people are feeling the squeeze right now. :(
They let you do layaway payments, though.

Jewel

The Vanessa Tarot is one.  The Fantastic Menagerie has a great sense of humor and satire - love this deck and it is totally worth the cost.  The Alice Tarot also by MRP has a great and topsy-turvey sense of humor which I love.  The Tarot for Cats (Regen Dennis Majors only deck) is really funny (the Tower card is a cat being freaked out by the vaccuum cleaner).   The Housewives Tarot previously mentioned would also be great in this category. 

TheFeeLion

@Jewel ooo I love Alice in Wonderland! I'll have to check out that Alice deck 😄 that Vanessa Tarot looks interesting, not my normal style of deck but I've found that sometimes those decks can speak the loudest lol happened with the Myths & Mermaids Oracle I was given.

@gregorythanks for the suggestion! Don't know how I feel about that one tbh... 

TheFeeLion

Omg I just remembered! Tarot Mood! How could I forget??? That might have to go on the shortlist of possibilities

PathWalker

I laughed out loud at Bohemian Gothic the other day - does that count? Any deck can have humour - it partly depends on You as the reader I think 🙂

TheFeeLion

@PathWalkerthat definitely counts! I've got a couple of decks that can be like that (TrueBlack is one of them). I've also got a deck or two that are only ever serious (Black Mirror Oracle and Golden Universal), and then I have on that is funny on the regular (Froud's Faeries Oracle).

I guess my questions were a good 50/50 mix of wanting to find another funny deck and seeing what kind of decks you guys all have that you find funny

Jewel
11 hours ago, TheFeeLion said:

@Jewel ooo I love Alice in Wonderland! I'll have to check out that Alice deck 😄 that Vanessa Tarot looks interesting, not my normal style of deck but I've found that sometimes those decks can speak the loudest lol happened with the Myths & Mermaids Oracle I was given.

The Alice by MRP is out of print, but you might want to also check out Tarot in Wonderland (Llewellyn/Barbara Moore).  I have only done one reading with it, but I think it will have some Wonderland quirkiness to it, and it too references the stories and is a mass market deck.  I still prefer the Alice (that is my main deck) but I think I am also going to really like the Tarot in Wonderland.

gregory

I like the Llewellyn one better actually....

katrinka
13 hours ago, PathWalker said:

I laughed out loud at Bohemian Gothic the other day - does that count? Any deck can have humour - it partly depends on You as the reader I think 🙂

LOL, yes. And the BB Cats, too.

PathWalker

When times are tough I often tun to Gummy Bears. I can't help but smile, no matter how dire the card

🙂

TheFeeLion

Oops just realised I never replied! 

I'm really enjoying seeing what decks make people giggle plus I love finding new decks to looks at 😁

Kicia

The two decks I have that have a sense of humor are Tarot Mood and Golden Girls Tarot. 

TheFeeLion

@Kicia how do you find Tarot Mood? I've been um-ing and ah-ing about this one for a while