Raggydoll

Homemade tarot bags/purses/boxes

This thread is intended to inspire those of us who like to make our own tarot bags. So please feel free to share anything and everything that you have made (or talk about what you are planning/wanting to make). Any style, material or method is welcome. (And if you, like me, are not a pro and just make things up as you go along - then all the better!  ;D)

I started making my own bags after realizing that most store bought ones were designed for those who prefer the classically "witchy" woo-woo style (you know, the bags that always come in either black or purple and are almost always decorated with large pentagrams or other magical symbols). Of course there is nothing wrong with that style, it just isn't my thing. 8)

So I decided to try and make something out of all the scrap fabric I had laying around. I eventually started looking for vintage fabrics at second hand stores as well. Especially table cloths that cost basically nothing (because they had a small stain or a hole) were perfect to cut up and use as material. And I took some of our extra bed sheets (the odd ones that just sits in the closet) and used for lining. And all my buttons were bought at second hand stores as well, so this has been a very affordable and fun project!

So here are some examples!

(Different drawstring bags. I have used both vintage and new fabric (scraps that were left from when I made some curtains)

185781905_Psar.JPG.36aab706d8aaf5ff58ad989eba32a7d3.JPG

Here are some purses. I was originally intending to use a ribbon instead of a button, but after trying different versions I found that this worked best for me. It is super quick to open and close and my cards feels safe. These are lined with super-soft fabric (= bed sheets ;D)

VAskor.JPG.a1faa470ba1160db77bd9e41e0c837dc.JPG

And here are some bigger ones that I made for my oracle cards (my "Saltwater reading cards" and "Dreamtime reading cards"). Those cards come in such big boxes that I wanted something a little bit more compact to keep them in.

VAskor_4.JPG.4c60ba737dc1b97bc7e67a133f7adc4a.JPG

Those are lovely -- I especially like the purses. I really like the fabric, too. I'd be inspired if I sewed at all.

Thank you! I started out making regular drawstring bags but when I saw someone on instagram or YouTube showing one of those purse-varieties I was sold. I had no idea on how to make them but after some googling I found a really neat guide on YouTube called "Make a tarot bag" (by Bobby, 'Ragged Poet') and she made it look really easy.

And it turned out to be quite easy too. The hardest part was measuring everything to get a nice fit for each deck. (I am NOT an "just-eyeball-it kind of person" ;D) But I did a trial and error thing were I made templates for all the basic deck sizes and I also wrote down how many centimeters to add based on how big a deck was. So now I just have to pull out one of those templates and start cutting up fabric.

The pouches and purses are gorgeous! It's a great idea to source vintage material in op shops, too. I've crocheted about four or five pouches and that was fun, but I'll have to attempt sewing some purse types because they look so lovely. :)

They look great, well done. :D You've got me thinking of a cute wrap-cord purse for travelling with my decks, I'm always scared I'm going to ruin their cases. Of course, cute drawstring pouches are so easy to make as well...

I'll have to explore and sort through my stash so I can make some of these. I'll have to sort a few other things first, but I'll try to get them done within the week--this is a great thing to work forward to, and I'm excited to see if anyone else posts anything in the meantime.

Also, I love that you used old sheets for the linings, Raggydoll! I've done the same for other projects of mine as well. ;D

They look great, well done. :D You've got me thinking of a cute wrap-cord purse for travelling with my decks, I'm always scared I'm going to ruin their cases. Of course, cute drawstring pouches are so easy to make as well...

I'll have to explore and sort through my stash so I can make some of these. I'll have to sort a few other things first, but I'll try to get them done within the week--this is a great thing to work forward to, and I'm excited to see if anyone else posts anything in the meantime.

Also, I love that you used old sheets for the linings, Raggydoll! I've done the same for other projects of mine as well. ;D

The best thing about using bags and pouches are that it makes traveling much easier and safer. I love to be able to throw a deck in my bag without having to worry about ruining the original box - or even worse, damaging my cards. (And a lot of those boxes are huge! So you can fit more decks if you store them this way he he). But I still keep the original boxes for the most time and use bags/purses for the decks that I currently use.

My next project will probably be some purses for my Bothemian Gothic (regular and mini). I also have a ciccoli mini tarot that is really, really small so I will have to think about what would work best for that deck (it came in such a sad little tuck box that feels really flimsy so that is a box that I probably won't keep once I've made a purse for it).

It is quite fun to think about which deck should go with which fabric (although my choices are somewhat limited as I almost never buy new fabric and only work with what I've already got or what I am able to source really cheap). I did go to a little sewing store that sells lots of pretty fabrics and I asked them if the had any scraps that I could take a look at (they make custom tailored curtains to lots of people and that means they will get quite a bit of left over fabrics). So I was allowed to rummage through their stash and picked out a pile of fabric pieces that I did not have to pay much money for. Among those fabrics were one that had dark red roses and grey background, and I am thinking that, paired with a black lining, it could be the perfect fit for Bohemian Gothic. We shall see :)

I mostly make drawstring bags for my decks and I really love picking out the fabric in my stash for them. Some of my early ones are lined but the more recent ones are just one layer of fabric as lining them takes up a bit of time, and they do look pretty good that way too. Although it's a deck I haven't pulled out in a while I love the bag I made for my Wildwood - it has some very nice woodland creatures on it that vibes so very well with the vibe of the deck.

I started making my own bags after realizing that most store bought ones were designed for those who prefer the classically "witchy" woo-woo style (you know, the bags that always come in either black or purple and are almost always decorated with large pentagrams or other magical symbols). Of course there is nothing wrong with that style, it just isn't my thing. 8)

OMG, tell me about it. They have so many of us all wrong!

I've held off getting a sewing machine because time is so scarce, but making bags is a good excuse to get one - vintage Vogue patterns can come later, when I have more leisure! There are just too many awesome vintage style prints available online, everything from Deco to Sailor Jerry!

Today a bag, tomorrow a dress...  ;D

Today I decided to make a purse for my Bohemian Gothic (standard size) and I thought I might as well share some pictures of the whole process, just to show how easy it is. This is not intended as a real tutorial (my English vocabulary is way too limited for me to explain little sewing details) but I think you can still get the idea.

I started out by cutting two equally sized pieces of fabric (I decided to go with the same measurements that I have for my Centennial RWS even though Bohemian Gothic is sligthly larger cause I like a snug fit). If anyone is interested, these two pieces are about 18x27 cm each (yes CENTIMETERS, you will have to do the math yourself if you use american measurements ;D)

Then I pinned the two pieces together (the "pretty" sides has to be facing each other cause it will all be turned inside out in just a minute). Because I am using a button i also inserted a piece of elastic ribbon in a loop-shape and pinned that down as well. And then I sewed all around the edges (I stay pretty close to the edges), but I leave a gap somewhere so I can turn the fabric inside out. This time I chose to leave the gap hidden in the part of the fabric that had a red rose, so that when I hand stitch it I can use red thread and make it almost invisible.

1.JPG.6afe90da8ec8a08f702a6bc55244ddd1.JPG

2.JPG.c55998d3cba0c2cad8a2fb7819a7a691.JPG

And then, after sewing, I trim the excess pieces of elastic ribbon and carefully turn everything inside out. And I stitch the last little bit together by hand. As you can see in the second picture, using red thread really helped make it almost invisible. I always try to plan where I place the opening so that I can hide it later on.

(And you only have to worry about how your stitching looks on the front of the bag, cause the inside stitching will be completely hidden once you fold your bag and sew the sides together. So in this case it did not matter that I used red thread against a black lining.)

3.JPG.23b9bd318ea5b6c6bc82ee1825650608.JPG

4.JPG.ad0f5ae6aa161590df7d6c97cc45f076.JPG

Finally, I fold the bottom half of the fabric up and pin it. (I always bring out the actual deck that its intended for and make sure that it will fit perfectly). And then I sew the sides (I try to sew really close to the sides so I get as much room as possible for my deck.)

And then I insert the deck and start to plan where I want my button to go.

5.JPG.ebb73eef5fb74f32e0e675f88f2e5546.JPG

6.JPG.5d4c2f1035cc07a746a75a23b79e1f6b.JPG

And then, lastly, I sew the button on by hand. And its done!

This whole process does not take very long, definitely less than an hour. Its the hand stitching part that takes the longest, but I prefer to do it that way. You can certainly use your sewing machine for that bit as well, but I think it gives me more control over the end result If I do it this way. And if you don't want to use a button you can just insert long ribbons, like Bobby did in the video I mentioned earlier. That is also a nice touch.

Hope anyone found this helpful!

7.JPG.53784c56060dca17d08784cdec102956.JPG

Sewing is very much the Magician archetype in action - channel that inspiration (perhaps with a little practical help from 8 of Pentacles) into something physical. Any type of inspired creative work can put you in alignment with the universal forces. So, highly recommended :D

That's SUPERB, Raggydoll.

I won't attempt it now, as I would be hand stitching. But I hope to purchase a sewing machine with this year's bonus from work in the spring.

It's been some years since I sewed, but I hope to get my groove back. Tarot bags are good practice!

I want to do some gusseted ones with piping, eventually.

Then I will be ready to move on to vintage dress patterns - oooooh, yes! *swoons*

ETA: Is this cool or what? <3

http://www.festiveattyre.com/2013/09/1930s-hooverette.html

I'm a fan of vintage fashion as well, and it's a great compromise to make new dresses with old patterns. Most of the genuine vintage dresses from the 20s and the 30s tend to be really fragile and not made out of the most practical materials. I am however not confident (or skilled) enough to start making clothes. I am sticking to smaller (= easier) projects for now  8).

I am currently also trying to make custom sized tarot boxes out of card board. You know, the ones with lift off lids. Well.. we shall see how that turns out. If I manage to make anything that looks remotely presentable, then I will share some pictures  ;)

I'm a fan of vintage fashion as well, and it's a great compromise to make new dresses with old patterns. Most of the genuine vintage dresses from the 20s and the 30s tend to be really fragile and not made out of the most practical materials. I am however not confident (or skilled) enough to start making clothes. I am sticking to smaller (= easier) projects for now  8).

I am currently also trying to make custom sized tarot boxes out of card board. You know, the ones with lift off lids. Well.. we shall see how that turns out. If I manage to make anything that looks remotely presentable, then I will share some pictures  ;)

Cuilfaen over at Youtube just uploaded a video about making boxes for tarot decks ;D It is a super long video and I haven't watched all of it yet so I don't know how much of it is making the box, but if you're doing something by your desk she's very nice to have in the background (or I think there should be some more efficiently clipped videoes on YT):