Homemade tarot bags/purses/boxes

Raggydoll

The cardboard is pretty thick (about 1 mm = 0,04 inches, according to google). The gram measurements is based on weight per cubic meter so I don’t know how to translate that. It’s probably easier to just go by thickness. I used the thickest one I could comfortably cut with my paper cutter.

Edit: I can try to take some pictures of the cardboard and the paper when I’m back home again, if that would help!

The cardboard is similar to this one. This is from the U.K. site but maybe it can be found on the us site too?! https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clairefontaine-Medium-Cardboard-Thick-Sheets/dp/B004A04ES0

Thank you! They often don't give the thickness here and sometimes the weight is in "points," to make it even more confusing. Apparently 30 points = 624 gsm. Often they don't give any measurement and just call it "medium." Also I see a lot of products called "chipboard."

Interesting that the linked product is classified under "loose drawing paper" on Amazon UK.

Do you use acid free for the cardboard too, or just for the colored paper and photo paper? (I have some older OOP decks that have become valuable over the years so I want to take care.)

Thanks again, and do post pics of the cardboard if you get a chance.  :)

Yeah, I use acid free all the way. I was able to purchase acid free cardboard at a fairly good price from a local dealer and I buy them as those big sheets. I personally would not risk using regular cardboard, especially on my decks from the 1960s-70. (Newer and heavily laminated decks would probably not be affected as much). I’ve worked in an antiques store and I also used to collect antique/vintage books, so I have definitely seen what acid can do to paper. Plastics are generally bad too.

Today I wanted to make a purse for my trimmed copy of the Shamanic Medicine Cards. I repurposed some fabric (the outside is from a cushion cover that I bought on sale some time ago, and the lining is a scrap piece that my mom gave me).

I thought I would share some step by step pictures!

Here is right after I turned the fabrics inside out. I have yet to hand stitch the opening that I made on the side (to be able to turn the fabric - see my instructions earlier in this thread). 

Raggydoll[/member], the material is outstanding and so is the bag!  I love it!  It could be a tarot card from the alpaca deck.  O:-)

Thank you! That alpacaca fabric, a.k.a. the former cushion cover, was something I once found in a clearance bin at 50% off. When I saw it I immediately knew I wanted to cut it up and turn it into smaller projects  ;D

Raggydoll[/member], the material is outstanding and so is the bag!  I love it!  It could be a tarot card from the alpaca deck.  O:-)

Thank you! That alpacaca fabric, a.k.a. the former cushion cover, was something I once found in a clearance bin at 50% off. When I saw it I immediately knew I wanted to cut it up and turn it into smaller projects  ;D

Awesome!  You're sewing is great too!  Such a talented Gemini!  ((

Love it, love it, love it!

Raggydoll[/member] do you hand stitch closing the sides too?

Love it, love it, love it!

Raggydoll[/member] do you hand stitch closing the sides too?

No no, that would be way too much work. I use a machine for everything except the button and the closing of that tiny hole. My hand stitching skills are not good so I make sure to choose the color of my thread carefully so that it blends in as much as possible

No no, that would be way too much work. I use a machine for everything except the button and the closing of that tiny hole. My hand stitching skills are not good so I make sure to choose the color of my thread carefully so that it blends in as much as possible

Thanks! Would love to make such bags. Have to see what  fabric I can get. Really inspiring, thanks a mill <3

Thanks! Would love to make such bags. Have to see what  fabric I can get. Really inspiring, thanks a mill <3

You’re welcome <3. As you can tell, I’ll use basically any fabric that I can find (and that I like). A lot of people have scraps of fabric in their homes that they don’t need anymore so I’ve been gifted a lot of fabric too. You only need a small piece to make a bag or a purse for your decks.

I’m not sure if I have mentioned anything about the sizes of my fabric pieces, but to make a purse for a standard tarot deck (such as the centennial rider waite smith - not tinned version) I use two pieces, each with the measurements of 18x27cm (= 7x10,6 inches, according to google). I often use bed sheets or something really soft for the lining. Most people have extra bedsheets that sits unused, and I just cut them up as needed  ^-^

You’re welcome <3. As you can tell, I’ll use basically any fabric that I can find (and that I like). A lot of people have scraps of fabric in their homes that they don’t need anymore so I’ve been gifted a lot of fabric too. You only need a small piece to make a bag or a purse for your decks.

I’m not sure if I have mentioned anything about the sizes of my fabric pieces, but to make a purse for a standard tarot deck (such as the centennial rider waite smith - not tinned version) I use two pieces, each with the measurements of 18x27cm (= 7x10,6 inches, according to google). I often use bed sheets or something really soft for the lining. Most people have extra bedsheets that sits unused, and I just cut them up as needed  ^-^

Thanks for the measurements. Will see what I can find. It is very strange but in 'this life here', I do not have anything really unused  :bugeyed:

Guest libra

I'm on mobile with the tiny font and I read "talented gremlin" and was like... That's an interesting choice of words lol!

I haven't read all the posts but I just wanted to mention that buying those "fat" squares that are packaged together for quilting make great Tarot bags. I don't remember what those bundles are called but I do remember the "fat" part for some reason. I had some fabric like that a few years ago and if I remember right, each piece of fabric had enough that I could make two bags out of each one.

My sister-in-law gave me a package of women's handkerchiefs a few months ago. Remember those? At the time, I didn't have a bag for my Everyday Enchantment so I took a handkerchief and sewed two sides of it and it just exactly fits the Everyday Enchantment. Then I got to thinking that some of the others would make a nice spread cloth if I sewed some of them together. I did that and then had some left over so I made another spread cloth for my Kipper and Lenormand decks. They all fit right in with the tea house theme, too.

Oh, and there were two handkerchiefs left over so I use those for my nose, if need be. 😛

ETA: I also sometimes make boxes or bags out of cheap old Walmart felt. Old jeans that are worn out are also a good source of fabric for sturdy bags and spread cloths.

Edited by Grizabella

38 minutes ago, Grizabella said:

I haven't read all the posts but I just wanted to mention that buying those "fat" squares that are packaged together for quilting make great Tarot bags. I don't remember what those bundles are called but I do remember the "fat" part for some reason. I had some fabric like that a few years ago and if I remember right, each piece of fabric had enough that I could make two bags out of each one.

My sister-in-law gave me a package of women's handkerchiefs a few months ago. Remember those? At the time, I didn't have a bag for my Everyday Enchantment so I took a handkerchief and sewed two sides of it and it just exactly fits the Everyday Enchantment. Then I got to thinking that some of the others would make a nice spread cloth if I sewed some of them together. I did that and then had some left over so I made another spread cloth for my Kipper and Lenormand decks. They all fit right in with the tea house theme, too.

Oh, and there were two handkerchiefs left over so I use those for my nose, if need be. 😛

ETA: I also sometimes make boxes or bags out of cheap old Walmart felt. Old jeans that are worn out are also a good source of fabric for sturdy bags and spread cloths.

I love all these suggestions!! 💖

Moonshadow

This

On 1/12/2018 at 8:27 PM, Raggydoll said:

And then, lastly, I sew the button on by hand. And its done!

This whole process does not take very long, definitely less than an hour. Its the hand stitching part that takes the longest, but I prefer to do it that way. You can certainly use your sewing machine for that bit as well, but I think it gives me more control over the end result If I do it this way. And if you don't want to use a button you can just insert long ribbons, like Bobby did in the video I mentioned earlier. That is also a nice touch.

Hope anyone found this helpful!

7.JPG.53784c56060dca17d08784cdec102956.JPG

This is great! I've just been wrapping mine in pretty bits of material 😁