This is the DE-ENABLE thread concerning buying and reading of tarot.

Saturn Celeste

38 minutes ago, Jewel said:

ROFLMAO .... OMG that Hanged Man is right up there with the "10 of poopies" from the Bosh Tarot ~giggles~ 

Jewel!!!! You’re here!!! 

Happy Korean Drama GIF by The Swoon

12 minutes ago, Raggydoll said:

Jewel!!!! You’re here!!! 

Happy Korean Drama GIF by The Swoon

Yes I am!!!!!!! 🥰 I plan on making a concerted effort to be here more regularly too!  I have missed this forum and my friends here like you have no idea!

1 hour ago, Jewel said:

Yes I am!!!!!!! 🥰 I plan on making a concerted effort to be here more regularly too!  I have missed this forum and my friends here like you have no idea!

Aww, so good to have you back! 

On 1/15/2023 at 10:56 AM, Nemia said:

Ferenc Pinter? Another Lo Scarabeo deck, partly commissioned from an artist and partly cherrypicked from existing work. Some of them are very beautiful but for me, they feel a bit cold when reading with them, and by now I have come to prefer decks that were conceived, planned and executed by artists who breathe and live the tarot. Even if they're less perfectly painted than the decks by Lo Scarabeo's polished commercial artists. 

This and this, so many times over.

14 hours ago, DeathFlowerKing said:

I might be addicted to buying card decks too... I have several playing card decks and a couple of tarot decks plus a lenormand deck and a hanafuda deck.

... guess I have way too many... I also want to at least get a couple of basic Rider Waite Smith and Marseille tarot decks made with a linen finish. Maybe after that I will force myself to quit collecting so many cards?

You might want to see this thread about right size of collection. Some ppl are comfortable with two decks ... others 20 ... others 200!

I went through a short bout of "consumerism" which felt addictive. But I saw what was happening and stopped.

I got very intentional about my collection and really good at NOT buying decks even if I like them. Now a deck must be special and I must want it for some time before I pull the trigger. I learned to no do "impulse" purchase but to really think first.

Just the gentlest of reminders, this thread is a fun thread for people to post decks they want to buy and members talk them out of buying it with witty and amusing replies. It has a sister thread, the enabling thread.

Nothing should be taken seriously here, the intention is fun! 🙂

There are many old threads that are searchable about buying too many decks and a V serious thread about tarot addiction from the past as well.

I need someone to please de-enable me with regards to the Bohemian Gothic Tarot preorder that's going to happen soon  😭

😅

Edited by midrena

1 hour ago, midrena said:

I need someone to please de-enable me with regards to the Bohemian Gothic Tarot preorder that's going to happen soon  😭

😅

I’ll be honest. I used to own that deck and I bought it purely for FOMO. And once I had it, I never felt like using it. I would flip through the deck, see the images and know that this type of deck isn’t for me. So it sat in my stack of indie decks that I regretted buying, and the thought of having to make a decision about it  was stressful. Eventually I parted ways with it and I have never once regretted it. It added nothing of value to my collection because I didn’t like reading with it. Also, the knowledge that it was a FOMO-purchase made it worse. As I get rid of such items, I regain my self respect 😊

Don’t go down that path, you have already stated that this would be a FOMO purchase. Why waste that money and give yourself the future grief of having yet another expensive deck that you don’t truly love. 

PRICE actually does it for me. And if you have any of the earlier ones - they are very dark - you'll be hard put to it to see any changes.

2 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

Also, the knowledge that it was a FOMO-purchase made it worse. As I get rid of such items, I regain my self respect 😊

Don’t go down that path, you have already stated that this would be a FOMO purchase. Why waste that money and give yourself the future grief of having yet another expensive deck that you don’t truly love. 

You are totally right. Thanks for the much-needed reminder. I sometimes get caught up in other people's excitement -- and when it's something that I'm just "okay" with, I always wonder if I'm being dense and not seeing something. 

2 hours ago, gregory said:

PRICE actually does it for me. And if you have any of the earlier ones - they are very dark - you'll be hard put to it to see any changes.

Yeah, the price ... assuming it's similar to recent pre-orders, it's pretty high. No, I don't have any previous versions but I totally get what you mean about differences -- they showed some videos of card differences and it took me a while to see some of them.

The  price of some decks has gotten to where I get sticker shock quite often now. That Wisdom of Pooh Tarot on Kickstarter is like 76 bucks for an early bird -- normal price is something like 82... and I'm like what. I was already bemoaning 60 USD decks, considering I tend to have to pay 20-30 USD more for shipping and then the extra joy of VAT and administration fees on top. 😅

Thank you both for knocking some sense into me, I really appreciate it!

On 3/16/2023 at 6:15 AM, midrena said:

😅

The only thing I could do here is agree on the price since you do not have a previous version.  I could honestly do a way better job at enabling you then de-enabling you so lets just focus on price.  If it is not a deck that you think you would use I would not do it.

Yeah the Pooh deck .... and they will be issuing a new edition with Tigger once the copy right on him ends so if nothing else I would say that a Pooh deck without Tigger (the current offering) not worth it.

The price on Bohemian Gothic turns it into a big 'eh' for me because while eg. Mythical Creatures has just truly stunning, original imagery, Bohemian Gothic has a little samey-ness to it which made me ultimately decide to pass. I might have been able to talk myself into a Tarot of Prague reprint, but I have a half dozen gothy decks already. The art in Bohemian Gothic isn't good enough to warrant an additional deck at that kind of money.

So basically what @Raggydoll said--I know I would never really use it, and would be posting it for sale upon arrival.

Edited by Niobium

FindYourSovereignty
2 minutes ago, Chariot said:

I'm a tad thick.  What is FOMO?  I know what MOFO is, but I suspect this isn't just the opposite.... 🙃

Fear of missing out 😊

Edited by FindYourSovereignty

5 minutes ago, FindYourSovereignty said:

Fear of missing out 😊

Aha.  I can now go to bed, knowing I've learned something new today!  Mercy buckup!

2 minutes ago, Chariot said:

I'm a tad thick.  What is FOMO?  I know what MOFO is, but I suspect this isn't just the opposite.... 🙃

Fear of missing out. As in “im getting this deck everyone else is lusting after because everyone else likes it, even if I know deep down that this not for me.” The opposite is jomo - the joy of missing out. “I used the money I would have spent on the deck to get a deck I actually like, I spent it on fancy tea to drink and candle to burn while I read with a deck I already have, or just choosing not to spend money and energy where I don’t want or need to be spending money and energy.” : ) 

6 hours ago, Petalene said:

Fear of missing out. ...The opposite is jomo - the joy of missing out ...

JOMO. I LOVE this. JOMO is the minimalist mantra. The anti-consumerism cornucopia. Thanks for posting this. It's my new favorite acronym.

1 hour ago, Misterei said:

JOMO. I LOVE this. JOMO is the minimalist mantra. The anti-consumerism cornucopia. Thanks for posting this. It's my new favorite acronym.

This is actually the title of a book! I have it on my kindle 😊 But I’m not saying you should read it (this is the deenable thread after all). I think it’s pretty self explanatory. There is great joy in missing out, because saying no to one thing is to say yes to something else. For me, that ‘something else’ tends to be Simplicity and Peace of mind. Those things I will never deenable, so it’s good that they are entirely free 😀

I will get back on topic now, don’t worry. More deenabling to come, as soon as it’s required 😎

Serpentwand

What a brilliant acronym! This is the joyful and relaxed peace I have experienced when wandering slowly through a shopping mall thinking there’s nothing here I’m interested in at all, just clothes and shoe shops.😹

On 3/26/2023 at 9:56 PM, Raggydoll said:

... There is great joy in missing out, because saying no to one thing is to say yes to something else. For me, that ‘something else’ tends to be Simplicity and Peace of mind. ...

@Raggydoll I know it's off topic ... but I'm learning to JOMO in LIFE ... not just consumerism. I used to stick to the bitter end with unpleasant situations if it was my duty. To the point of making myself sick. I just announced I'm going to take Saturday as a sick day on a volunteer commitment that had started to get toxic. I don't care if people think I'm bad/faking it/flakey. JOMO! Peace of mind. Yeah.

FOMO rarely applied to me with cards. If everyone on a board was raving about how great a deck was, I would look at it often to make sure I really liked it (nowadays I have to not just like it but really love it). If I got a deck on impulse it was because something about it struck me, not because so many other people raved about it. At least one deck I dithered over for more than a year after reading countless reviews pro and con, before finally getting it. Others, like the Bohemian Gothic, intrigued me but never enough to actually get it, and I haven't missed it. I only rue missing decks I actually wanted but waited too long to decide to spend the money. 

Natural Mystic Guide
On 3/16/2023 at 9:15 PM, Raggydoll said:

the knowledge that it was a FOMO-purchase made it worse.

Thank You!  You've just named a problem I've just realized that I kind of have.  That helps...  I am, though, still grieving a couple of decks that really should have bought and didn't.

I need more JOMO in my life. I get easily infected by the enthusiasm of others. But even some obvious FOMO decks in my collection have revealed themselves over time as precious and valuable good readers, so I won't beat up myself about the past. Just trying to get more JOMO in the future 🙂