Eamane

How do You Prepare for a Tarot Reading?

Hello everyone! :animated-smileys-waving-065:

I've been wandering for a while how other people prepare a reading besides the usual stuff we all know and do (you know, cleansing cards, setting a place, lighting a candle, burning incense, playing some nice music on the background, etc). I've noticed readers on Youtube and other places that have a song or phrases for their querents based on their "reading preparation", and I'm puzzled... doing that for a querent is quite a nice thing. Do you do something similar? How do you do it?

I've never felt the need to do any of that. I do love burning sage and cedar sometimes but not necessarily  for readings. To be precise---I just take out my deck, shuffle and read. It's that simple. 🙂  For me, keeping it simple is the best and no-fuss way to do it.  If I get too "precious" with it, then it seems to become more about the ritual than the reading and that's detrimental in some ways. That's for me, though. If others have rituals they do that they feel add to or enhance the reading, then that's what they should do. 🙂

I don't really have any particular way of preparing for a reading except maybe for clearing a space of all my junk and then picking up a deck and shuffling lol sometimes if I can't be bothered making room I'll sit on the floor with a throw blanket. Sometimes I'll pull out crystals sometimes I won't. Usually I'll consciously ground myself as I'm shuffling. Most of the time the radio is playing quietly in the background. I don't really have a specific ritual though. 

10 hours ago, TheFeeLion said:

I don't really have any particular way of preparing for a reading except maybe for clearing a space of all my junk and then picking up a deck and shuffling lol sometimes if I can't be bothered making room I'll sit on the floor with a throw blanket. Sometimes I'll pull out crystals sometimes I won't. Usually I'll consciously ground myself as I'm shuffling. Most of the time the radio is playing quietly in the background. I don't really have a specific ritual though. 

This exactly. I get the cards out, shuffle and draw. I have been known to read - with the TV on !

I hold the deck I'm using, relax, slightly meditate or if I fall into a full meditation then so be it and all the while I'm thinking of the question and sitter. Sometimes I do this before and after I shuffle. But mostly it's about connecting with the sitter and the deck and I need to relax myself through going into the trance. 

I have my opinions about people who do these readings on You Tube.

I tend to just get out the cards, shuffle while trying to focus on the questions, and that's it. No preparation, really.

When I'm reading for myself I will often repeat what the card positions are and will mean while I shuffle, as if I'm telling the deck, but it's mostly to keep my mind from wandering off.

I do tend to light a candle, and maybe incense, and then sit on the floor in front of them and carefully take the cards out of their box. This is all to focus my mind, though, rather than anything deeper; without some sort of ritual that says emphatically that it's time for Tarot, my thoughts tend to wander. Having a candle, etc., makes it easier for me to let everything else go for a while. 

3 hours ago, gregory said:

This exactly. I get the cards out, shuffle and draw. I have been known to read - with the TV on !

:balloon_hor:  I can't have any noise aside from my trance music while I shuffle and draw the cards.  Once I'm in the process of writing the reading up, I can then have noise, even the TV.  But I do need silence while I concentrate on my sitters questions.

If I'm at home, I set the mood with some gentle music, candle and/or incense, and a prayer.

If I'm out at a hotel, I just do a prayer and music.

Then I riffle (if able) 4 times, cut, and go!

I always play this melody to get in the right mood:

I light a candle, take a sip of my water bottle, touch the earth of a large potted plant close by, and take some deep breaths of air.

Then I ask the "powers of the universe" 😂😂 and the elements 😂 to help me do the best possible reading that I'm capable of, while I'm trying to peer through the ceiling and look to the sky.

I mix the cards and reverse 16 cards, while I speak out loud and tell the "powers of the universe" and the elements 🤣 what I know about the person I am going to do the reading for (to get in touch) and what each card's position in the spread means.

Then I spread the cards, and pick the cards that feel right with my left hand.

I guess I'm a weirdo 😊😅😁

On 6/5/2019 at 7:59 PM, Grizabella said:

If I get too "precious" with it, then it seems to become more about the ritual than the reading and that's detrimental in some ways. That's for me, though. If others have rituals they do that they feel add to or enhance the reading, then that's what they should do. 🙂

I agree with you @Grizabella, I tend to keep it as simple as possible since I understood it was about the reading.

On 6/6/2019 at 6:35 AM, Joe said:

I hold the deck I'm using, relax, slightly meditate or if I fall into a full meditation then so be it and all the while I'm thinking of the question and sitter. Sometimes I do this before and after I shuffle. But mostly it's about connecting with the sitter and the deck and I need to relax myself through going into the trance. 

I have my opinions about people who do these readings on You Tube.

Thanks for your answer @Joe, I think this is the way most of us do things. 

18 hours ago, KaiNO said:

I always play this melody to get in the right mood:

I mix the cards and reverse 16 cards, while I speak out loud and tell the "powers of the universe" and the elements 🤣 what I know about the person I am going to do the reading for (to get in touch) and what each card's position in the spread means.

I don't think you're a weirdo @KaiNO! We all have a different take when it comes to readings. Like you, I like playing some sort of meditation music, if I'm in the mood though, and I try to visualize the person or the situation I'm doing the reading for.

Thanks a lot for sharing the video, the music is really soothing!

It's very interesting to read your input. At the end of the day, we all do have our own style and tend to do variations of the same thing - I guess.

I've been learning Tarot by myself, and for a long while one of my "sources" was YouTube. So I watched loads of those videos to study the readers' approach. Nowadays, though, I do have my opinions about YouTube readers, just like @Joe, and their proliferation.

I meditate every morning, so that's nothing new for me. For the last few mornings, I've started a daily single draw. No real question, just pull a card and think on it for the day. When I do a simple spread (limited to 2-3 cards since I'm still a novice) it's usually after I come out of meditation and do my daily draw first. No other prep aside from clearing my mind of crap. I've always preferred no fuss, no muss.

I ground and raise my vibration using the chakras, light body centers, and supercharging quantum touch chakras ..

I may see myself in the sacred flames reiki ..

I then shuffle the cards,, (for the life of me I can't riffle even playing cards ) with my inuitative hands, my left. (the devil hand it said in one book eheh ) .. and before hand ,now I tend to go though a deck and make sure they are half upright and half reversed, then I shuffle .. 

I pray before doing the last shuffle,, 

please creator , bless these cards,, give us wisdom though your guidance , look after your loved ones,, and give them courage,, meinggwiich,, (thank you in ojbiwe ).. 

then I shuffle for the soul message card,

then shuffle again for the other cards. 

I have a list of self care things I do daily. If I have not done my self care (meditation, taking vitamins, and a number of other things) I don't read. I feel like if I have not taken care of myself first I have no business trying to help someone else. I have noticed when I do the self care stuff my readings go AMAZING. 

4 hours ago, Sarah Love said:

I have a list of self care things I do daily. If I have not done my self care (meditation, taking vitamins, and a number of other things) I don't read. I feel like if I have not taken care of myself first I have no business trying to help someone else. I have noticed when I do the self care stuff my readings go AMAZING. 

I can relate to this actually! Whenever I don't feel fine myself I find it pretty difficult to work with Tarot. I need to do some self-care first; otherwise, cards and meanings get elusive!

Thanks!

I'm a bit particular about my readings! I will casually read but I have a rule-I never read if I haven't bathed that day-I always start my day with a bath or shower and I feel it helps in my "auric hygiene"! I will also do a meditation, centering exercise, shuffle my cards, and almost always try to have a lit candle for my reading. Oh and I need a bit of tidiness at least! 

It depends. If I do single card pulls for myself for example for daily read or meditation help or journalling promts then I just shuffle and pull a card. 

If I do bigger readings for myself or any readings for others then I like a bit more drama around it: I like to light a candle, burn incense, clear the table, to a ten minute grounding meditation. While shuffling the cards I drop in on myself, I check how I feel, acknowledge if there is something going on in my body or my mind that could distract me. Then I focus on the cards and the question and draw the cards.

On 6/6/2019 at 5:17 PM, Saturn Celeste said:

:balloon_hor:  I can't have any noise aside from my trance music while I shuffle and draw the cards.  Once I'm in the process of writing the reading up, I can then have noise, even the TV.  But I do need silence while I concentrate on my sitters questions.

Same. Closed windows/doors any noise I cant hear during shuffle/draw.

I like to wash my hands, pull out a cloth (bandanas are awesome and cheaper than tarot cloths, just saying) and the deck(s) I want to use. I might light a candle, perhaps a rose scented one, and then use rose scented hand lotion before shuffling. I also store all my decks in a box/suitcase with a rose scented satchel, s they become infused. Which means that the scent of dried roses help me get into a calm, focused mind-set, even if I'm not at home. And if I'm reading for someone else, that scent will also make the experience more magical for them.