Saturn Celeste

This is the DE-ENABLE thread concerning buying and reading of tarot.

FLizarraga

I'm baaaack! And this time it's really bad.

The Dreamkeepers Tarot. It's dreamy. It's borderless (if you want it that way). It's... too much! What should I do? *wringing hands and wailing* I can't resist it! SAVE ME!

https://www.lizhuston.com/dreamkeeperstarot/dreamkeeperstarot-psdg4-4lxgw-ymahr

I love this deck. It took me awhile to get to know it, and I don't use it terribly often. I agree the lack of diversity is disappointing. The printing doesn't show all the detail of the layers. But it really gets people thinking outside the box.

Here's a glimpse of her process, which I found fascinating. https://www.facebook.com/lizhuston/videos/473693936494260/

Oh wait. Am I supposed to be not encouraging you on this thread?

Sorry. Please refer to the posts above about headless people and skeletons and such.

Just when I was starting to feel a little de-enabled...  :o

Raggydoll

The Dreamkeepers Tarot. It's dreamy. It's borderless (if you want it that way). It's... too much! What should I do? *wringing hands and wailing* I can't resist it! SAVE ME!

I love this deck. It took me awhile to get to know it, and I don't use it terribly often. I agree the lack of diversity is disappointing. The printing doesn't show all the detail of the layers. But it really gets people thinking outside the box.

Here's a glimpse of her process, which I found fascinating. https://www.facebook.com/lizhuston/videos/473693936494260/

Sorry. Please refer to the posts above about headless people and skeletons and such.

Listen, you have the bohemian gothic, right? That definitely covers the ‘dark and disturbing’ category. Don’t be greedy or give into FOMO. This deck will not add to your repertoire in any way that will transform or evolve you as a reader. It’s just a shiny object that you’re temporarily craving. Save that money for a deck that there is no hesitations around. If you wait a week or two then this particular deck will have lost most of its pull. In the meantime, see if you can’t go through your stash and find a deck that you had forgotten - one that you felt equally excited about before purchasing as you do towards this one. Then spend your time with that deck. It’s already yours so it won’t cost you a penny. Plus you’ll feel so good when you give it the attention it deserves. Just do it. And report back here later  ^-^ <3

gregory

Detached HEADS ? Missing body parts ? It isn't too much, it's too little. You can't seriously think that's OK. When did you say you were seeing your psychiatrist ? Move that appointment up before it's too late. I'm WORRIED about you. There's something askew in your head. If you even HAVE a head...

I was in stitches reading this!  ;D  Gregs, you ARE the best...

Oh I KNOW ! kiss.gif  Now get over to Adam's forum - we are stuck identifying a Spanish majors only deck ! And it's utterly unobtainable, so you are QUITE safe !

FLizarraga

Detached HEADS ? Missing body parts ? It isn't too much, it's too little. You can't seriously think that's OK. When did you say you were seeing your psychiatrist ? Move that appointment up before it's too late. I'm WORRIED about you. There's something askew in your head. If you even HAVE a head...

I was in stitches reading this!  ;D  Gregs, you ARE the best...

Oh I KNOW ! kiss.gif  Now get over to Adam's forum - we are stuck identifying a Spanish majors only deck ! And it's utterly unobtainable, so you are QUITE safe !

Haha! Which is Adam's forum? I'm so out of touch...

FLizarraga

Listen, you have the bohemian gothic, right? That definitely covers the ‘dark and disturbing’ category. Don’t be greedy or give into FOMO. This deck will not add to your repertoire in any way that will transform or evolve you as a reader. It’s just a shiny object that you’re temporarily craving. Save that money for a deck that there is no hesitations around. If you wait a week or two then this particular deck will have lost most of its pull. In the meantime, see if you can’t go through your stash and find a deck that you had forgotten - one that you felt equally excited about before purchasing as you do towards this one. Then spend your time with that deck. It’s already yours so it won’t cost you a penny. Plus you’ll feel so good when you give it the attention it deserves. Just do it. And report back here later  ^-^ <3

THANK YOU, Raggydoll. This is true de-enabling. And you're absolutely right --most of my stash is getting no love right now, and many of those decks I have never even read with. I just get drawn to the proverbial shiny object...

gregory

Tarotcollectors.com

You are a member there, but have never posted ;)

FLizarraga

Tarotcollectors.com

Oh. THAT forum. Yes, I'm a member, but I don't think I have ever spent over more than five minutes there at a time. I tried to log in, and couldn't remember my password, and then couldn't be bothered to reset it...

But then I barely spend any time in Tarot forums anymore, and when I do, this is it, my new home after the AT holocaust. Though I must say I just went to the Cartomancy one for good measure, and discovered a lovely thread about reall's lovely Pam's Vintage Tarot deck. I'm surprised there isn't one here, as that deck is so... OOOPS! Wrong thread! Disregard! Disregard! Look, a squirrel! :bugeyed:

Raggydoll

Tarotcollectors.com

Oh. THAT forum. Yes, I'm a member, but I don't think I have ever spent over more than five minutes there at a time. I tried to log in, and couldn't remember my password, and then couldn't be bothered to reset it...

But then I barely spend any time in Tarot forums anymore, and when I do, this is it, my new home after the AT holocaust. Though I must say I just went to the Cartomancy one for good measure, and discovered a lovely thread about reall's lovely Pam's Vintage Tarot deck. I'm surprised there isn't one here, as that deck is so... OOOPS! Wrong thread! Disregard! Disregard! Look, a squirrel! :bugeyed:

A squirrel?! How cute, I love squirrels!!!  ;D

gregory

reall has posted ALL about her decks here.... Do Not Look :)

Instead - look at THIS - completely unobtainable, so no worries - and tell me what it IS:

and then ID the coloured one too. Both are majors only.

I think that will keep people busy; they don't show up ANYWHERE, so it cannot be enabling..... It's Displacement Activity.

Unidentified_Spanish_Tarot_2_10_03_19.jpg.7556e8144b962234e8271d77a8eb79d4.jpg

Unknown-Tarot_07_03_19.jpg.97da638d3ddd74122680ff69ba8a3cbc.jpg

unidentified.jpg.3da30cd8f78c2f98ac21c21085ea0bbb.jpg

FLizarraga

A squirrel?! How cute, I love squirrels!!!  ;D

Cute as they are, I have developed a loathing for the bossy little things, after having been accosted by one in Fort Tryon Park in NYC (who wouldn't take "no" for an answer); then spending four years in a town where they run RIGHT in front of your car; and, finally, after being gifted a skinned one by a neighborhood cat, who left it on my welcome mat --I almost stepped on the gruesome thing first thing in the morning...

But I adore decks that have the Happy Squirrel card, like... Ooops, I'm doing it AGAIN!  :-X

FLizarraga

reall has posted ALL about her decks here.... Do Not Look :)

Instead - look at THIS - completely unobtainable, so no worries - and tell me what it IS:

and then ID the coloured one too. Both are majors only.

I think that will keep people busy; they don't show up ANYWHERE, so it cannot be enabling..... It's Displacement Activity.

Hmmm. They probably are one-offs, or don't exist at all. The Spanish one is obviously a collage deck --I recognize the four Evangelists in the World card, as well as the central nude, but they come from completely different eras (and I'm not certain that the head and the body of the nude figure were born together). The Devil is GENIUS. Very chic deck. Maybe a movie prop?

There's something reminiscent of French animation about the colored one. (Look at the size of the Fool's honker!) Definitely one artist, though. The style is very personal. The Magician is holding his (her?) staff like a Japanese sword, which could be a clue. Or not...

gregory

That fool is VERY familiar - I just CANNOT place it.

I wondered about Japanese too - I should go check something I just thought of. I just can't believe that if that's right, ADAM missed it.

Emilija

Listen y’all. I need help. I really don’t have much money after bills but I’m thinking of buying a Bohemian Gothic mini. Change my mind please.

40knows

Oh goodness, the de-enabling thread. Phew.... following up with the recent posts. I have the Dreamkeepers, couldn't resist the kickstarter. 😅 It is a beautiful deck but it does lack diversity, and the courts are weird, can't quite explain it, but some of the male courts lack depth. Which bothers me. It is definitely it's own thing, and really, unless you absolutely feel that it fills something missing in your tarot collections, don't get it. 

As for the Bohemian Gothic, yes I saw the newsletter that they were running out of this current print run. Or have they already run out? I don't know what to say there, I do like Baba Studios decks...

Tagi
On 5/13/2019 at 11:37 AM, Emilija said:

Listen y’all. I need help. I really don’t have much money after bills but I’m thinking of buying a Bohemian Gothic mini. Change my mind please.

I'm in the same boat as you. I bought the Dark Mansion moments ago because I'm in love with so many of the cards but I also have my eye on the mini Bohemian Gothic.

I feel like it's FOMO that is driving my desire for this one though, and I admit I'm not sure about the human faces in the art. They seem uncanny valley to me but /so many/ praise this deck I'm of two minds.

FLizarraga
Posted (edited)
On 5/12/2019 at 8:37 PM, Emilija said:

Alas --wrong place, wrong time. I mean, some other time I'd be more than happy to de-enable you, but right now the Bohemian Gothic is already OOP and going out of stock. Most likely forever, since Karen and Alex are talking about partial retirement, or so I've heard. And they have a special on the mini BG without a box right now, so time is of the essence in more than one way.

I know this is not what I should be doing here, but --circumstances... It's either tighten your belt and get it now, or pay through the nose once it goes OOP. Worst case scenario, if you don't like it, you'll be able to recoup your money. (And I would give it a chance. It's a deck that may take a while to get. It happened to me.) Sorry, Emilija!

Edited by FLizarraga

Emilija
1 hour ago, FLizarraga said:

Alas --wrong place, wrong time. I mean, some other time I'd be more than happy to de-enable you, but right now the Bohemian Gothic is already OOP and going out of stock. Most likely forever, since Karen and Alex are talking about partial retirement, or so I've heard. And they have a special on the mini BG without a box right now, so time is of the essence in more than one way.

I know this is not what I should be doing here, but --circumstances... It's either tighten your belt and get it now, or pay through the nose once it goes OOP. Worst case scenario, if you don't like it, you'll be able to recoup your money. (And I would give it a chance. It's a deck that may take a while to get. It happened to me.) Sorry, Emilija!

At least you’re honest!

Tagi
3 hours ago, FLizarraga said:

Well, I /had/ managed to de-enable myself.

If I can't get past the faces my partner will appreciate it as a gift anyway.

Raggydoll

Sorry if I’m too late, but I just want to say that are you sure you would be happy with the mini version (without a box) ? I know many people think it’s too small and that they can’t see the images properly. And don’t forget that this is a deck that most people only use for special occasions or on certain times of the year. So is a novelty deck like that worth going broke for? 

(I do own the mini version myself, because I like mini decks, but in all honesty I use it very seldom)

Eric
Posted (edited)

ition,Well, I have found a secret spot that is full of vintage and I'm talking'  RWS Cards from the early '70's to University Books PCS cards. So, I have bought 1 excellent, PCS deck, with the original leather covered box, all the cards in excellent condition, 1 RWS deck from the early-mid '70's very good condition, but also very used with great energy, perfectly broken in, strong color, another mid-'70's deck very used, incredible vibe and energy, all at an incredible price. The seller doesn't care or understand what they have. So, now, there's another deck, a PCS deck, mint condition,New Hyde Park Adress on the original box, but its missing three cards, one is the Sun. I don't need it, but who can pass up the really good price! But, I don't need it. 

Edited by Joe

Raggydoll
4 hours ago, Joe said:

ition,Well, I have found a secret spot that is full of vintage and I'm talking'  RWS Cards from the early '70's to University Books PCS cards. So, I have bought 1 excellent, PCS deck, with the original leather covered box, all the cards in excellent condition, 1 RWS deck from the early-mid '70's very good condition, but also very used with great energy, perfectly broken in, strong color, another mid-'70's deck very used, incredible vibe and energy, all at an incredible price. The seller doesn't care or understand what they have. So, now, there's another deck, a PCS deck, mint condition,New Hyde Park Adress on the original box, but its missing three cards, one is the Sun. I don't need it, but who can pass up the really good price! But, I don't need it. 

But why? If this is from a collectors standpoint then DON’T! Most collectors will, sooner or later, get to the point where they want to curate their collection and streamline things so that only the best remain. Everyone finds their niche and that’s when they want to only have the best specimens in their collection. So then you will have to spend time and energy contemplating how to best release that deck without feeling guilty. You will find that serious collectors  won’t want it, and regular readers won’t want it either. Then all you have left is to find a newbie collector who is still in that broad beginning phase of acquiring lots of stuff, without much discernment. And those collectors aren’t as common as you would like to think, and they also won’t want to pay any more than what you did. So you will basically have spent time and money acquiring and then storing a deck that you will never use. And even if it’s really cheap - start adding the costs of those really cheap and unnecessary purchases and put that money aside to when a really interesting deck surfaces. Because it will. The coolest stuff usually just present itself ‘randomly’ and then you will kick yourself that you bought 4 or 8 inferior decks instead of this really good one. True collecting involves some level of discernment. Otherwise it’s just hoarding, and it won’t impress anyone. 

And if it’s from a readers standpoint - well, you can’t even do a majors only reading with this deck so what are you going to use it for? To look at the pictures? Make an art project? Let’s be real here. 

AJ-ish/Sharyn

magic realist decks...jump right on that deck... if you like been rooked and bamboozled...oh they shouted they'd NEVER republish a deck, never never. and they have again and again, covering up the butts by saying well they've changed this and that. Biggest con ever. Don't fall for it. SORT of retiring? Another word for we'll be back with more of the same. Mob mentality pushes their sales, not their quality of tarot. There are much better ways to spend your money and enhance your tarot experience. 

FLizarraga
48 minutes ago, AJ-ish/Sharyn said:

magic realist decks...jump right on that deck... if you like been rooked and bamboozled...oh they shouted they'd NEVER republish a deck, never never. and they have again and again, covering up the butts by saying well they've changed this and that. Biggest con ever. Don't fall for it. SORT of retiring? Another word for we'll be back with more of the same. Mob mentality pushes their sales, not their quality of tarot. There are much better ways to spend your money and enhance your tarot experience. 

on fire burn GIF