This is the DE-ENABLE thread concerning buying and reading of tarot.

Saturn Celeste

Wow, guys, thank you so much for the thorough de-enabling! I do agree that time and effort would be better spent on the Thoth, of which not only I have multiple copies, but basically all the necessary literature. (Plus several Thoth-inspired decks like the Rosetta and the Tabula Mundi and their corresponding books. And the Holy Light --goodness gracious, yes. And all of Robert Place's decks. And, and...)

I'm also in agreement that the SKT has become what the Wild Unknown was a few years back (when people spoke of nothing else), and that Benebell is both very knowledgeable and very generous with her knowledge. I just watched a video of hers that finally made me understand why I can't read intuitively with the Thoth anymore like I did in the very beginning, when I knew next to zero about Tarot.

Thank you so much!

keanu reeves thank you GIF

8 hours ago, katrinka said:

While this isn't de-enabling, I have to refute that. Each new edition is different from the last.
Doing a cold stamped Victorian Romantic in no way negates the value of a first edition, and so on.
In all my interactions with Karen Mahoney, she has been honest and on the level. They're not conning anyone.

Yes this is off topic, but I am

glad you said it. I wholeheartedly agree! 

On 7/12/2019 at 1:04 AM, TheFeeLion said:

I just had a look at that deck and, while it looks nice, I'm pretty sure it would be a much better looking deck without the borders. I suppose you could trim it... Although in saying that, the pictures have that weird fadeout thing around the edges so it could make it difficult to decide where exactly to trim it to. Plus, if you've never trimmed a deck before that could be pretty daunting... What if you trim it and don't cut straight? What if you cut it straight but the backs are all wonky? What if you try and fix a trimming mistake and have to cut off more than you intented?? 

Good points! Thank you! I actually think it comes in a borderless version though! *eek* the temptation! I decided that I will wait until September, and if I still want it, then I will get it.  That should give me enough time to go 'meh' on it.  Hopefully. 😉 LOL 

On the other hand, you,  @Raggydoll , @gregory and @katrinka have TOTALLY de-enabled me on the Spirit Keepers Tarot.  You guys are SO funny.  I love it! :heart: 

King of Swords

Please de-enable me buying both the Light Visions and Prisma Visions. It’s the Light Visions that really ‘does it’ for me but I feel like I should get both. 

4 hours ago, moonglow said:

Would love to hear your best de-enabling for The [Old] Mythic Tarot!

Have had a hard time resisting posting in the enabling thread instead. 😅

Price is pretty de-enabling itself, but I'm tempted to ask if the seller would consider a lower offer. It's new in shrink though. Also thinking of looking for a used copy if they won't reduce their price.

I've been hemming and hawing over the listing for a while now, and then one of the people I'm subscribed to on YouTube did a walkthrough of this OOP deck the other day, which seemed a weird coincidence.

Please help. 😭

I had that deck for 15 years. Rather pretty pictures but I never felt they spoke to me. And now it's more of a retro thing to own it, just skip it. Am I too harsh?? 😬

Katie

6 hours ago, moonglow said:

Have had a hard time resisting posting in the enabling thread instead. 😅

Price is pretty de-enabling itself, but I'm tempted to ask if the seller would consider a lower offer. It's new in shrink though. Also thinking of looking for a used copy if they won't reduce their price.

Eddison Publishing are actively TRYING to bring it back (with no luck as of yet) but if demand is there, (it is) hopefully they or another publisher will bring it back.  So unless you can get it for a deal, I wouldn't pay a whole lot for it.  It would suck to pay a lot for it only to have it re-appear on the mass market for the original retail price.  Just a thought.      Do you already have the New Mythic?  I mean, they are literally the same images, just drawn/coloured slightly differently.  

25 minutes ago, moonglow said:

Not sure you're harsh enough. 😅 Thanks for trying! I will keep reading to learn more about the deck and check back with the pictures again a couple times. It's too expensive (for me) to make a mistake on, if I can help it.

*sighs*
OK, you wanted harsh... :evil:
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/mythic/

The Magician looks like a guy at a festival pointing out the Port-O-Potties at the top of the hill.
The Empress belongs on a bottle of Herbal Essence, or maybe a 2-Pack of Summer's Eve. And she's got a castle on her head.

Is the Hierophant at a metal show? He's throwing the horned hand. Or maybe he's at a college football game: "Hook 'em, Horns!"
Poseidon has no need to hurl his trident at the Tower, as it's already being destroyed. But maybe it's actually a barbeque fork and he wants to get the meat out before it burns.
There must be a cop just out of the frame on the Ace of Swords. That girl is going through some kind of sobriety test: "Hold it up STRAIGHT. Now walk a straight line and say the alphabet backwards."
Two of Pents guy holds his tools aloft like drum sticks and wants to know if he looks like John Bonham.
The giant woman on the 7 of cups doesn't hear the tiny woman's prayers because she has to go to the bathroom so bad that she's holding her crotch - while ordering yet another drink.
The King of Wands - the guy we hired to tend the sheep has delusions of grandeur. And he's wearing his mom's patio dress, and I don't trust him with that tiki torch.  I told you we should have just gotten a Great Pyrenees and a couple of Border Collies.

Did that work? :grin:

@katrinka You brightened my morning. That was brilliant!

@moonglow I wonder if this is a deck you would be yearning after if it wasn’t for social media and the talk in the tarot community. Honestly- if this deck was in print and readily available and no one spoke much of it - would you still want it this much? Because that’s exactly what it was like when that deck was in print. That is why it got taken out of print in the first place! People didn’t have the time or motivation to learn all those myths and if you don’t know what depicted on those cards (and you don’t have Katrinka to help you ☺️) then it’s a pretty useless deck. Also. If you weren’t able to share that deck purchase with a single soul who knew of that deck - would you still be pleased having paid that much for it? Be honest now! 

9 hours ago, King of Swords said:

Please de-enable me buying both the Light Visions and Prisma Visions. It’s the Light Visions that really ‘does it’ for me but I feel like I should get both. 

Whaaat? Buying two almost identical and really expensive decks? Whoever made you think that this was a good idea - they are not a good friend of yours!! And if it’s only your own inner voice that’s telling you this then you are not being a good friend to yourself! Do you really have that much money to throw around and would you not feel a guilty sting from purchasing both? And do you want to be reminded of that guilty sting every time you look at those decks sitting unused among all your other decks? Don’t forget that this is s deck that you need to study. And by purchasing both you are going to overwhelm yourself and not have the motivation to start working with either. 

King of Swords

@katrinka Those are amazing 😀. @moonglow  Both the old and new Mythic decks are pretty ugly. The big lady on Seven of Cups is definitely needing to pee - looks like she’s doing that little dance the kids in my class do when they suddenly realise they need to go and are trying to hold it in whilst pointing to the toilet door. 

@Raggydoll Thanks for that. There’s a definitely a bit of FOMO going on with them, especially as Light Visions is still only on its second edition so there’s a part of my brain going ‘quick, quick! Your life will be incomplete if you don’t get it!’ if there’s not a third edition.

I can definitely go with just getting one - Light Visions - but I wonder if I can cope without that one too. Any deenabling gladly received! 

Edited by King of Swords
4 hours ago, King of Swords said:

@katrinka Those are amazing 😀. @moonglow  Both the old and new Mythic decks are pretty ugly. The big lady on Seven of Cups is definitely needing to pee - looks like she’s doing that little dance the kids in my class do when they suddenly realise they need to go and are trying to hold it in whilst pointing to the toilet door. 

@Raggydoll Thanks for that. There’s a definitely a bit of FOMO going on with them, especially as Light Visions is still only on its second edition so there’s a part of my brain going ‘quick, quick! Your life will be incomplete if you don’t get it!’ if there’s not a third edition.

I can definitely go with just getting one - Light Visions - but I wonder if I can cope without that one too. Any deenabling gladly received! 

Looked that Light Visions deck up. So expensive! They don't even look expensive - at all! I'd spend the money on something else or rather just save them.

Katie

HeavenlyWren

I need de enabling - Someone talk me out of wanting the every day enchantment tarot 😒...

Good luck to you all...

@HeavenlyWren Your deck collection is a nice one as it is now. I think Everyday Witch that you already have will do (it has similarities with it), and is probably better. I think the people in the deck you want is not very well drawn (composition and the backgrounds are better).

Katie

Edited by Katie
HeavenlyWren
5 minutes ago, Katie said:

@HeavenlyWren Your deck collection is a nice one as it is now. I think Everyday Witch that you already have will do (it has similarities with it), and is probably better. I think the people in the deck you want is not very well drawn (composition and the backgrounds are better).

Katie

See now you're doing a good job@Katie

I do have some very pretty decks, I'm lucky in that respect. I suppose I'd be upsetting my every day witch if I brought that one and I do love it so much.

On 7/19/2019 at 12:07 PM, moonglow said:

Please help. 😭

I know this is completely the wrong thread for this, but, in case katrinka's hilarious and thorough de-enabling didn't take, I do have a copy of the original Mythic that I'm definitely not using. PM me if you're (still) interested.

HeavenlyWren
32 minutes ago, FLizarraga said:

I know this is completely the wrong thread for this, but, in case katrinka's hilarious and thorough de-enabling didn't take, I do have a copy of the original Mythic that I'm definitely not using. PM me if you're (still) interested.

If you're not using one copy why do you need another 🙂

5 hours ago, FLizarraga said:

My friend, this is not only off topic but also against the rules. No selling or trading outside of the subscribers area.