This is the DE-ENABLE thread concerning buying and reading of tarot.

Saturn Celeste

52 minutes ago, Katie said:

Hey, this preorder thing (or even more so with "kickstarters") I don't get it...isn't that to buy a pig in a poke? And that Fool's lips looks like it had some botox/fillers/allergic reaction/whatevah...

The decks you already have are of much higher class than this deck.

Katie

😄 that is so funny, I need to look at that fool again. 

10 hours ago, Raggydoll said:

I find that I’m sort of in the middle of what you @katrinka and you @gregory are saying. I do consider some of my decks as investments- even in a financial sense - but I still read with them all and rarely find myself capable of letting go of any decks except for the truly crappy ones I bought on impulse without much research. 

I do the same ...... speaking of crappy (to me) decks, I really need to go pull some of those out and create a for trade/sale thread.  I use to be really impulsive, but I think I finally know the type of deck that I will end up enjoying long term, it has been a long time since I bought a dud.  I also keep my deck purchasing to when I have gift cards or a special occassions like b-day or X-mas.

10 hours ago, gregory said:

I just don't buy decks that I REALLY don't like. Like some of those on gamecrafter. And I don't buy decks that are going to kill me when they hit UK customs.

But it is my big thing. I don't play golf, smoke, stay in fancy hotels, buy makeup or fancy clothes. We all have our single passion. I shall indulge when I can.

Which means I need to leave this thread. I will help (as I have done already) with individual decks - but this kind of general let's all stop with the consumerism thing is boring and not what his thread set out to do - I thought. Some of the best de-enabling posts I ever saw on AT were from Julia Cuccia-Watts de-enabling her own deck. They were priceless. "Let's all get GOOD" isn't fun at all.

THIS is what this thread was set up for:

Seconded, with all my heart.

On 7/26/2019 at 9:46 AM, 40knows said:

Hello tarot lovers! I think I need some clarity and maybe de-enabling. Or maybe a good laugh to lighten the tension. As many already know Baba Studios opened their pre-order for the Mythical Creatures tarot. Lord, I had been waiting for this for months. But... now that it's here I'm hesitating. I feel satisfied with the deck I have. I've received the new SKT Vitruvian Edition which I've yet to dig into, and also the Tarot of the Holy Light. These two are quite hefty. Then there's my other decks which I love and long to use. So I am hesitating to add another one to my collection. It is Baba Studios so great quality can be expected here. And definitely a collector's deck as well. So, what do ya'll think? Thoughts? Ay ay ay...

I have the monochrome special edition, and love it, though I have not read with it yet. This one, however, is being colored by a different artist than the one who made the drawings, so the whole process feels to me a lot less artistic and more like an assembly line --not what you want to hear when you're supposedly paying for a work of art.

I'm sure the end product will be gorgeous, but --will you use it? Will it be yet another "very expensive dust collector," as Flaxen aptly puts it? It sounds like you have your hands full. Just getting into one of those two decks will be an involved project that will take many hours of study. FOMO can make us spend good money on stuff we don't really have a use for. Just my two cents.

Somebody please de-enable me on this TDM-style kickstarter deck. I don't do kickstarter decks usually, but I tripped on this one and it just got to me. It's driving me nuts. I mean, frogs? Fish? Bugs? Spiders? Bats? Something about it makes me want it. Bad.

Edited by tag Jorrit

5 hours ago, tag Jorrit said:

Somebody please de-enable me on this TDM-style kickstarter deck. I don't do kickstarter decks usually, but I tripped on this one and it just got to me. It's driving me nuts. I mean, frogs? Fish? Bugs? Spiders? Bats? Something about it makes me want it. Bad.

Stop linking me to that ********* deck, people. It has a flying fox bat. And the Tower is turtles all the way down

and the bottom turtle's *** is on fire and I want it, too.
But it has keywords all over it. You could only use it for yourself, because if you used it for anyone else, they'd either think you needed the keywords because you're incompetent, or they'd interrupt you with "That's not what the card says!"

17 minutes ago, katrinka said:

Stop linking me to that ********* deck, people. It has a flying fox bat. And the Tower is turtles all the way down

But it has keywords all over it. You could only use it for yourself, because if you used it for anyone else, they'd either think you needed the keywords because you're incompetent, or they'd interrupt you with "That's not what the card says!"

Holy s*** that is a LOT of keywords on there! đŸ˜±It feels way more like a theater prop than anything. @tag Jorrit If you plan on doing gimmicky Halloween redwings and want a really overpriced deck for it - look no further! But seriously, why not just use a regular pack of old playing cards (preferably well used and dirty) that you can find for next to nothing on eBay. Then you can get into the proper groove of real old school fortune telling. It’s the respectable way of doing it. 

15 hours ago, tag Jorrit said:

HOLY COW!!! That is a gorgeous deck, buuuuut.... those keywords are a little annoying. I can see how they can be limited when reading with the decks, especially when reading for others as @katrinka mentioned.

AfternoonTarot
15 hours ago, tag Jorrit said:

Yeah, I’d say you need to pass on this one....those key words are just plain distracting.  Why not save your money and wait for the uncluttered version that’s er...sure to follow?  😏

13 hours ago, katrinka said:

Keywords on it? Shoot! I didn't even notice.

LOL, I still am a (happy) backer for this one!

Yes very whimsical and kitschy with the title of the card (in big) at the center and a lot keywords on it, do I have a horrid taste guys? :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Decan

1 hour ago, Decan said:

Yes very whimsical and kitschy with the title of the card (in big) at the center and a lot keywords on it, do I have a horrid taste guys? :classic_biggrin:

naughty kat graham by GIF Registry

This is the DE-enable thread, mind you!! â˜ș

5 hours ago, Decan said:

spacer.png

NO POSITIVITY IN THIS THREAD.

Do NOT back that deck (whatever it is.) NO deck is worth backing on kickstarter. You will always be sorry when it shows up. It will have cost you. You didn't get to see it all before you backed it, and the cards you didn't see are deal breakers. Always.

And this time - key words ? Keywords daintily placed at the bottom are one thing. Awful, but one thing. But ALL OVER THE CARDS ? And another transformational death. Aren't we ALL tired of death as butterfly ? And what ARE those nasty looking things like tripe suckers on 4 cups ? Contemplation ? Of THOSE ? Thank you but I'd rather think about my toenails. Which need filing - a better way to pass the time than looking at this deck.

Venus Rising
1 minute ago, gregory said:

And what ARE those nasty looking things like tripe suckers on 4 cups ? Contemplation ? Of THOSE ? Thank you but I'd rather think about my toenails. Which need filing - a better way to pass the time than looking at this deck.

I JUST snorted tea out my nose.  :lol:

On 7/29/2019 at 6:26 PM, tag Jorrit said:

On 7/30/2019 at 12:45 PM, tag Jorrit said:

Keywords on it? Shoot! I didn't even notice.

Tag, you're so much better than this. Do you know how many of your decks I have? Just the Dondorfs, I have like 4 or 5 copies. I even bought some blank cards from you once, just because the cardstock is like buttah. How could you get hoodwinked by a cheap trick like this? Maybe you are slumming? 😉

The art on it is not so bad, granted, but then they marred it with a gazillion keywords. It's like fake money, only faker. It's keyword diarrhea.

6 minutes ago, FLizarraga said:

Tag, you're so much better than this. Do you know how many of your decks I have? Just the Dondorfs, I have like 4 or 5 copies.

I did the same. I purchased one pack just because it had blue backs. Another because it had writing and ink blots from an old fountain pen.
The writing is not in english, and it's in cursive, so I like it.
It's not like those block letter keywords. You might as well print up a deck from We Look And See.

go.jpg.9bae5428de784024786547f22b4d7706.jpg

6 minutes ago, FLizarraga said:

I even bought some blank cards from you once, just because the cardstock is like buttah. How could you get hoodwinked by a cheap trick like this? Maybe you are slumming? 😉

The art on it is not so bad, granted, but then they marred it with a gazillion keywords. It's like fake money, only faker. It's keyword diarrhea.

It's explosive keyword diarrhea, which is worse than regular keyword diarrhea.

2 minutes ago, katrinka said:

I did the same. I purchased one pack just because it had blue backs. Another because it had writing and ink blots from an old fountain pen.
The writing is not in english, and it's in cursive, so I like it.
It's not like those block letter keywords. You might as well print up a deck from We Look And See.

go.jpg.9bae5428de784024786547f22b4d7706.jpg

It's explosive keyword diarrhea, which is worse than regular keyword diarrhea.

coffee lol GIF

AJ-ish/Sharyn

🙂 you must not have cats or dogs. This would be open invitation for a skidfest at my house. 

Looks like 13 decks? You are drawn to blue. Keep that in mind if you become purchase obsessed with an orange deck. 

Yes @AJ-ish/Sharyn it is 13 decks now! I have given away about 5 to my daughters. Yees, blue might be something special. The Tarot Mucha (upper left) has an orange tone and I do not like it, but it is perhaps because the people in the cards are so "posing".

Katie

Edited by Katie

3 minutes ago, gregory said:

But raw tripe is hardy a medium to MEDITATE on.

And no-one has addressed that blood-soaked Q-tip.

You're right, it definitely needs some looking into. Here:

20f60409d742dbab9eec8fdb10210768_original.thumb.png.dd14e9530de3af6aaa4cadf1730afe17.png

So, from what I can tell, someone (accidentally?) pricked that poor snake with the pin, and mopped up the worst of it with a q-tip. Then they went to apply bandages but mistakenly placed them on the garland instead (and since the blood kept on seeping from those wounds, it colored those bandages red too). This is actually well explained by the keywords: "Disappointment" (how the snake felt), Incompletion (we can't really call that a job well done, when the patient is still bleeding!), Emptiness: they used up the entire box of bandages and so now they cant correct their mistakes. (Harmony, completion and triumph comes to play when the snake takes its revenge and bites back).  All in all, a very odd and fairly dumb depiction of the World card. (And WHY is there a teacup that looks like a potty filled with flowers in there? It reminds me of a silly nursery rhyme that my grandmother used to sing for me. Here's a poor english translation "Ingeborg on the potty sat. She sat there day and night. She sat there all week. But on friday it came to a halt. 'Ingeborg, Ingeborg, can't you see? Your potty is flooding! And there is clover growing from its rim!") 

I took a look at that new Uusi on Kickstarter the material prima/ materia prima or something , it looks just a pretentious deck which can just be nice for some trendy zen eco for your living room and that’s all. 

Large black circles on each, well it’s pretty limitated as symbolism, what could you say in a spread: « you guys are running in circles? » or « I see a big black spot in this area of your life? », but please give me my glasses because that’s almost all what I see while we can identify figures just beside, cold Japanese-style silhouettes: « do you plan to go to a japanese restaurent to eat sushi? »

But the back of the cards looks interesting, I recognize it, great for a wall mural, they are for my taste, so maybe scrying on this would be helpful somehow!

And what are those titles: lead, sulfur...? I guess that if you pull the lead card the interpretation would be that this or that area of your life is « lead poisoned », like the close surrounding of Notre-Dame in Paris, ugh what a perspective!!

Edited by Decan

9 minutes ago, Decan said:

I took a look at that new Uusi on Kickstarter the material prima/ materia prima or something , it looks just a pretentious deck which can just be nice for some trendy zen eco for your living room and that’s all. 

I had a look. Very pretty. The designs would be nice on pottery, but they don't look very readable. It really does seem to be for the kind of people who leave a deck on the coffee table to impress their dates, but don't actually read.
Again, why is this in a deck format? Why not on tiles instead - it would look great in the shower.
Or better yet - SCARVES.