Deck of the Week Sign-up Thread, Week 307: May 24 - May 29

fire cat pickles

fire cat pickles

A thread for those who would like to work through their collection of decks, participants choose decks from their collections to work with for the week. Some use one deck, some use two. Some combine methods: Tarot, non-tarot (e.g. oracle), playing cards, or any other divinatory method is welcome. All we ask is that you use at least one tarot or oracle deck.

No collection is too large or too small. The only rules we have are the Tarot, Tea & Me Rules; be respectful of one other. Please join us!

• Please post with your choice of deck(s) for the week
  • Chat away about your deck, how you're finding it (or not), etc., it's all up to you 
  • Participants may either choose to share their readings here in this discussion thread or opt to have their own journal in the Journals Forum and link it here
  • Yet others may even have an offline journal in paper & pencil/pen form

Share as often, as much, or as little as you like. You can drop in and out at anytime—reality and life permitting. New to tarot? Long time reader? Come on in

Participants:

1. fire cat pickles: Baroque Bohemian Cats, 2nd "New" Ed.
  2. Bodhiseed: New Liminal Tarot and the State by State Playing Cards
  3. Rachelcat: Medieval Fortune Telling Cards
  4. Mi-Shell: Alchemist's Garden
  5. Madame Squee: Inversion Tarot

Click here for DoW 306 (5/18 - 5/23)

Click here for DoW 308 (5/30 - 6/4)

Edited by fire cat pickles

fire cat pickles

We are on schedule, moving our group and slowing inching to our Monday start date in a few weeks... This week we're beginning on Wednesday! (Next week we'll start on a Tuesday.)

@Bodhiseed. I've gone ahead and switched you over to your New Liminal Tarot and the State by State Playing Cards choices 🙂 Let me know if anything changes.

This week I'm digging out my Baroque Bohemian Cats.

5 hours ago, fire cat pickles said:

We are on schedule, moving our group and slowing inching to our Monday start date in a few weeks... This week we're beginning on Wednesday! (Next week we'll start on a Tuesday.)

@Bodhiseed. I've gone ahead and switched you over to your New Liminal Tarot and the State by State Playing Cards choices 🙂 Let me know if anything changes.

This week I'm digging out my Baroque Bohemian Cats.

Thank you! Would it be easier to just start on Monday next week?

From the New Liminal Tarot, the Page of Cups; from the State By State playing cards, the Seven of Diamonds - Missouri:

page%20of%20cups.jpg  seven%20of%20diamonds_0002.jpg
The happiness of others is itself my satisfaction; I do not expect another recompense.
~Shantideva

It is said that first responders run towards danger rather than away from it. The Page of Cups does the same with intense emotions; her response is simply to help those who are suffering. The Seven of Diamonds is illustrated with the Gateway Arch of Missouri. The arch is 630 feet tall, and is a symbol that reflects St. Louis' role in the Westward Expansion of the United States during the nineteenth century. Expansion of the heart is the Page of Cups' aim. She'd readily agree with Shantideva's words:

All beings, ourselves included, are in exactly the same predicament of wanting to be happy and not wanting to suffer. For this reason we must vigorously train in ways to develop the intention to protect others as much as ourselves, creating happiness and dispelling suffering.

fire cat pickles
4 minutes ago, Bodhiseed said:

Thank you! Would it be easier to just start on Monday next week?

My plan is to get the dates synched up so that in the future our DoW start days  can be tweaked a bit to land on the first Mondays of each month. There are many other Circles and Exchanges that could theoretically run concurrently at the beginning of each month so that our participants can use their decks along with this thread, and this will will make this much easier for them to do 😀

Hi everyone!  I think I've got the schedule down now!  

For our two remaining shorter weeks, I’m going to use two playing card decks.  This week is Lo Scarabeo’s Medieval Fortune Telling Cards.  They’re German-suited playing cards dated circa 1880 with evidently “medieval” scenes.

German-suited decks have suits of acorns (clubs, batons, wands), hearts (cups), leaves (spades, swords), and bells (diamonds, coins). 

Their “aces” are actually deuces (with two suit items), and the rest of the numbered cards are 6 through 10. 

Courts are unter, ober, and king. 

For a total of 36 cards.

(The booklet makes the unter the ace, but that’s not the way it’s explained in Wikipedia!)

In this deck, deuces feature an animal, and the rest of the cards show types of people.

Acorns have a lion and depict soldiers.

Hearts have lovebirds and show cupids and lovers.

Leaves have a stag and hunters.

Bells have a workhorse and various occupations.

Wednesday.thumb.jpg.e5e2e7b3f7bd67ebb74deb2d2270d4c9.jpg

Not sure how well I’ll do with these, especially because there are so few women (only in the “lovers” suit)!  And there are only 6 through 10.  Let’s give it a try!

Wednesday2.thumb.jpg.a28378014a6d39293500ef8cf979af65.jpg

What is your strength?  10 Bells

It completes my collection of German-suited cards.  It’s a good reproduction of an historical deck.

What is your weakness?  Ober of Hearts

It’s not good for romance readings.  Because it doesn’t have many women!

What can I learn from you?  6 Acorns

I can learn about leadership and victory.  The battle has been won, and the crossbow archer is winding up to be prepared for future battles.

What will be the outcome of our work together?  Unter of Acorns

Our work together will be serviceable but not all that exciting or helpful.  A foot soldier/pikeman does his job, but he’s not the one who makes decisions about where to be deployed next.

Ok, interesting!  We’ll see how it goes this week!

Madame Squee

1 hour ago, Rachelcat said:

What is your weakness?  Ober of Hearts

It’s not good for romance readings.  Because it doesn’t have many women!

Hi @Rachelcat🌞 I loved your new deck interview, especially your observation about women being scarce in it. Somehow, I never figured out why these decks don't work for me. Obviously, I should've asked them! 😄 Thank you! :love:

PS: Coincidentally I just learned about  the Bechdel Test yesterday. It relates to movies and such, but might have a relevance to a deck of cards, too.:78496:

The Bechdel test (/ˈbɛkdəl/ BEK-dəl),[1] also known as the Bechdel-Wallace test, is a measure of the representation of women in film and other fiction. The test asks whether a work features at least two women who talk to each other about something other than a man. The requirement that the two women be named is sometimes added.[2] 

10 hours ago, fire cat pickles said:

Oh!?!

I did not know, we are doing that!

Well, the it will be the Alchemist's Garden for me - until...??

fire cat pickles

@Rachelcat and @Mi-Shell I have yours down for the next two cycles, welcome back and welcome back to @Madame Squee too for participating in the discussion, though I'm not sure if you're choosing a deck for this week or not. Are you staying with your deck from last week, too?

On 5/24/2023 at 1:45 PM, Madame Squee said:

The Bechdel test (/ˈbɛkdəl/ BEK-dəl),[1] also known as the Bechdel-Wallace test, is a measure of the representation of women in film and other fiction. The test asks whether a work features at least two women who talk to each other about something other than a man. The requirement that the two women be named is sometimes added.[2] 

Interesting!  I never heard of that before.  I think I'll be testing movies from now on!  Thanks for the info!

Here's my reading for today:

I for sure will be busy with the Alchemist's Garden for the next few months. 🙂

I am going through it card by card to learn more about these powerful plants and how I feel about them being assigned to a specific Tarot archetype.

I am journaling as well, what I heard and experienced with patients that used them, what fellow Medicine People are saying about them and also share a few of my own experiences with a few of them.

I was thinking of opening a thread here for this, but do not quite know, where..... ? 

Madame Squee

Thank you for the thread @fire cat pickles 🌞🌻

I finally decided to leave off Thoth this week and study the Inversion Tarot instead. 

My plan includes re-reading The Tarot Shows the Path (Rolla Nordic). It has been awhile since I looked at it. 

fire cat pickles
7 hours ago, Madame Squee said:

Thank you for the thread @fire cat pickles 🌞🌻

I finally decided to leave off Thoth this week and study the Inversion Tarot instead. 

My plan includes re-reading The Tarot Shows the Path (Rolla Nordic). It has been awhile since I looked at it. 

I have you switched over now. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.