More Kickstarter decks for your thoughts

FindYourSovereignty

A few new and interesting ones:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/palmiracampagna/tarot-palmira-campana

I've had my eye on this one for a while, tracking the artist on IG; I love black and white/ink/linocut decks. So glad it hit 100%.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sonigraves/the-happy-halloween-tarot-deck

I may have linked this one already; I don't usually go in for decks with a holiday theme, but this one looks so fun.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gothmancy/gothmancy-2nd-edition-rise-of-the-eldergoths

I've been waiting on this one for a while. I keep seeing cards from Gothmancy and loving them and never buying, so a KS for a new edition seems right up my alley. This feels like a bit of my teen to college years come to life.

Edited by Niobium

There's a new edition of Forager's Daughter Tarot, the Afterlight Edition, up on KS.

For any of you who didn't quite like the layout and borders of the first, this might be a better alternative. Comes with an in-depth, lovely, softbound guidebook. Very sturdy, glossy cardstock on my First Edition, which I'll likely rehome and replace with this one.

I'm not a dog person, but my family fostered service dog puppies when I was a kid and I love the art, so I had to back this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1275933186/the-barkana-dog-themed-tarot-deck

Also, for those who like to support minorities, the artist is trans and has a service dog themself.

@Niobium I also prefer this version of Foragers daughter. Glad I passed on the first one.

@Anabiyeni Definitely wish this one had come first! Ah well, someone's bound to prefer a 1st Ed.

And now, for something which has me squinting:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/295140183/the-silhouettes-tarot?ref=discovery

I'm not sure what to make of this. Maybe they licensed the art from Masa Kuzuki? Totally different packages, though. I hope the campaign makes it clear if this is licensed with his approval.

6 hours ago, gregory said:

Not sure why; it looks like the same deck - the second or third edition standard and negative versions - so what is the KS FOR ? they are still for sale on his site.

http://www.masakuzuki.com/index.php/portfolio_category/cards/

The decks still for sale on his site are Cucoloris and Maregician, but these images do appear to be for Silhouettes (I can match a few of the cards to shots of Masa's on his site). 

Silhouettes remains intensely popular, and I for one would love another borderless edition--but not if it's stolen. 

7 hours ago, Sar said:

I don't like to crowdfound decks. One have no garanti one get the deck that was promised.

I absolutely sympathize with this, despite having only one fail on me so far (and even that's still iffy/possible). In cases like this, I'm often more skeptical--they clearly have a publishing situation going, so why a KS? I can only assume it's because KS, being a US company, gathers the funds on their behalf, which probably has some manner of associated tax/currency conversion benefit.

@cosita I was looking at this one; I REALLY love the quirky art style and the colors, but I'm on the fence due to lack of skin tone diversity. It's so easy to put in darker skin people into a deck, and I have so many decks, that I'm getting more particular about this requirement. (I blame no one for not holding back for this kind of thing, it's just I figure this is one way I can try to encourage creators to consider not making everyone the same light or medium skin tone.) 

I wish artists thought about this when including people in their decks. Fyodor Pavlov's deck and the Lazy Crow tarot are shining examples of how you can just Do It and it won't hurt the deck at all.

Which is a shame, as I really love this aesthetic. x.x

Edited by Niobium

@Niobium Same, I'm on the fence about it. It's not just the diversity aspect of it, but while I really like how it looks, I'm not sure if I'll use it. I have small hands and have a hard time with thick decks. I just realized that if a deck is 350gsm, no matter how pretty it is, I would tend to not use it because it's so hard for me to shuffle. 😞

9 minutes ago, cosita said:

@Niobium Same, I'm on the fence about it. It's not just the diversity aspect of it, but while I really like how it looks, I'm not sure if I'll use it. I have small hands and have a hard time with thick decks. I just realized that if a deck is 350gsm, no matter how pretty it is, I would tend to not use it because it's so hard for me to shuffle. 😞

Ooof yes, that IS going to be hefty. Hmmmmm, will have to think about it. Fortunately we have plenty of time.

On 11/12/2021 at 1:07 PM, Niobium said:

Ooof yes, that IS going to be hefty. Hmmmmm, will have to think about it. Fortunately we have plenty of time.

I caved and backed it, @Niobium!

58 minutes ago, cosita said:

I caved and backed it, @Niobium!

I held out, largely because I found a copy of Silhouettes 2nd edition for a price I was willing to pay. So you can let me know how you like it once you have it in hand! 🙂

On 12/11/2021 at 4:47 PM, gregory said:

Looks too much like the others to me....

Oh, but @gregory, you also have many, many decks! There's bound to be a bunch in your collection that will look like it!

@Niobium I'll let you know how it goes. And I hope you're enjoying your Silhouettes deck!

Edited by cosita

1 hour ago, Wyrdkiss said:

How do all of you feel about this deck? Who has pledged, who has passed?

For all I can see it doesn't look bad at all!

After further review it is too angelic for me, but it does indeed seem to be a nice pack @Decan.    I've been burned by Tarot Kick starters, however, so that is another reason to refrain at this point if not fully enthused. Happy to share though -- I hope you pick it up if you like it.